PDA

View Full Version : Hardware Advice needed

dalee
April 26th, 2007, 10:18 PM
Hi,

My old Athlon 1ghz box finally bit the dust. And I have a few questions on hardware. First, why no more AGP slot? And is the PCI-Express a better slot for graphics, (or for everything else too, do I want more than one)? Should I look to 64bit processors over the old 32bit?

I really dislike interegrated graphics. So, can I disable the on-board graphics and add a seperate card, (PCI-Express?). How well does Intel graphic chips do on Ubuntu?

Any pre-built brands you might recommend over a home build?

As you can tell, it's been a loooong time since I did a build. So lessons are needed!

Thanks!
dalee

Iceni
April 26th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I prefer building. Apart from my first computer I've built them all .. since 96 or something. Would not know about prebuilt.

Pci-E is twice as fast at the agp slot - just regular upgrades really. You only need one if you are not going to use SLI. Onbord graphics still suck:) Intel onbord does well, as far as I know. They can run beryl just fine, gaming not so hot.

I'll try to give you some hardware pointers:
- The best cpu right now is the core2 line from intel. Imho the E6420 is the best bang for your buck - it is relatively cheap but has the 4mb cache of the top models. These overclock great! You can expect a 50% oc on the stock cooler (tho would advice getting a custom one), thus giving you the theoretical performance of the top extreme model. Really no contest these days, despite amd dropping prices.
- Graphics are a mess, really. I like nvidia myself, but imho its only preference because ATI/Nvidia are so evenly matched. If you play new games the new 8600 from nvidia 8000 series are good. DX10 suppert and not that expensive. You can, however pick up an ATI radon 1950-card really cheap nowadays, used to be top of the line. Almost budget prices for those.
- Mobos are a mess as well, depending on what you want really. You pay more for features. If you want serious overclocking I hear the nforce 680 are the way to go. However, most of them has everything built-in nowadays. You should read up a bit on motherboards yourself. Anandtech or toms are my sources usually. Toms has really nice charts for cpus and graphics cards.

Hope this gives you an idea:)

mips
April 27th, 2007, 12:23 PM
Stay AWAY from ATI !!!

dalee
April 29th, 2007, 12:45 AM
Hi,

Sorry for delay in replying, but I was kinda short on computers here. I was forced into a compromise with my Wife and Daughters. I have ended up buying a new HP preloaded with Vista:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: .

BUT, I will get to load Feisty and dual boot on it, AND I will get to rebuild my old tower to my taste\\:D/ . So I still thank you guys for the information.

Thank You!
dalee