View Full Version : Website: Take 2

April 26th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Discussed at the meeting last night was my proposal to switch servers. Basically, this is my proposal: We move the site onto an off-site server, all costs covered. The domain (ohio.ubuntu-us.org) would remain the same.

Here are the specs I can offer under my account:
10 GB space (more can be allocated as needed)
200 GB bandwidth (again, if this limit is broken I can extend this all the way to a terabyte)
Full SSH access, virtually no limits other than no root access
PHP 5 as CGI, full access
MySQL 5 + phpMyAdmin
Access to the control panel, providing:
SSH management
Domain, subdomain, & DNS management
MySQL database management
Mailing address management
Jabber address management
6 levels of file backup:
Two hourly
Two daily
Two weekly The prime reason for this switch is the fact that the art.ubuntu.com server which the site is hosted on does not provide some essential features, namely SSH and phpMyAdmin. And while I appreciate Canonical offering part of the server for us, it just does not meet our needs.
The switch will probably benefit the website team more than everyone else, but we're polling this anyway for a general opinion.

The server in question is arrow.dreamhost.com. While that URL is not accessible directly, here are some sites hosted on this specific server:
http://buckeyenecklaces.comTest em all out, do speed checks, whatever. The bandwidth is not throttled for speed. :)


April 26th, 2007, 10:50 PM
I can also vouch for this web host. :)

April 26th, 2007, 10:51 PM
I say move it.

April 29th, 2007, 07:05 PM
Looks like this poll is pretty much decided upon. I'm going to file a request to get the domain pointed to the new server.

April 30th, 2007, 01:10 AM
just a sneak peak.....

look at http://ohio-edu.ubuntu-us.org


my secret project. (provided by Canonical!)