PDA

View Full Version : What do you run (other than Ubuntu)?

WalmartSniperLX
April 26th, 2007, 07:50 AM
I no longer use Ubuntu atm because :

1) I recently built a new budget pc and installed Fedora FC6 to try it out. (I actually had Gentoo before this but didn't like my cpu's compile time :P)
2) Hate multi booting
3) I have Ubuntu on my old pc, but have it stacked away since I only have one moniter and it's slow in general.

But, I still use Ubuntu Forums more than any other forum because it has a large active community, a smart community :D, and it's built off a very important fundamental 'Humanity Toward Others'.

With that in mind, how many of you run other os' (other distros/win/mac/BSD/Solaris/etc) and still use Ubuntu Forums as one of your main (if not your main) community forums?

Better yet, who doesn't even run Ubuntu at all and still uses Ubuntu Forums above all other community discussion groups?

karellen
April 26th, 2007, 08:03 AM
I use ubuntu and windows xp. but I visited these forums even when I was a fedora core user, as I haven't found nowhere a community like here :)

jariku
April 26th, 2007, 08:05 AM
Ubuntu 7.04 in my laptop and Foresight Linux in my Desktop.

I like Foresight because of the package management and it's also exiting to see a relatively new distribution grow.

igknighted
April 26th, 2007, 08:08 AM
Fedora 7 test 3, SAM Linux and testing Feisty (although I'm not super impressed, it's not staying) on my desktop and Edgy server for my server.

yoasif
April 26th, 2007, 08:11 AM
Mac OS X, posted here because I'm having some issues with my brother's Ubuntu install. :)

ssodhi
April 26th, 2007, 08:15 AM
I maintain a CentOS webserver, Ubuntu 6.06 at home, Windows XP on my laptop (I need access to certain applications that are as of yet unportable to Linux) and I have Mandriva installed though I rarely use it. I switch around distros quite often, from Debian to Fedora to Knoppix to Slackware.

-Sanjay Sodhi

tbroderick
April 26th, 2007, 08:37 AM
Debian Etch. I'm sick of buggy distros. Don't plan on moving from Etch until Lenny is the new stable. It's gonna be weird not updating my box, I will update certain programs individually, for 18-21 months.

ArieT
April 26th, 2007, 08:59 AM
I've got a multiboot with Ubuntu 7.04, Debian Etch, Zenwalk and Windows XP installed on my 200gb harddrive.

cunawarit
April 26th, 2007, 09:08 AM
Right now:

* Feisty Fawn
* Windows XP
* Windows 2003 Server
* Debian Etch

Been meaning to give FreeBSD a go sometime...

PS:

tbroderick, I know where you are coming from. Xubuntu Feisty was a serious pain! The distro upgrade worked like a charm, except that it didn't! Every time I logged in X would crash. I decided to just download the Live CD and install off that.

Well, that worked like a charm, except that for some bizarre reason the installer would open a file manager window just as it was about to format the hard-drive and I had to move at lighting speed to unmount the drive so it could format it... Seriously, it took me like 5 attempts! Anyway, eventually it DID work like a charm, but the XFCE terminal would cause X to crash... SO that was it! I had a terminal saved on my session so every time I logged in it would crash!!!!! Anyway, now I use the Gnome terminal or just plain xterm. But it is kind of annoying to have to jump thru hoops to get a distro to work. Ubuntu is SO friendly, and polished, and more up to date than Debian..... But Debian's rock solidness cannot be understated.

FoolsGold
April 26th, 2007, 09:17 AM
Ubuntu Feisty Fawn, with Windows XP via VMWare. I hate multi-booting too.

siimo
April 26th, 2007, 09:19 AM
Currently using Windows XP SP2 on the desktop. :| Was using ubuntu but then got sick of incompatible hardware and I am a windows software developer too so kept having to dual boot and was spending most of my time on windows. :| I have Warty Worthhog on my older PC 1.2Ghz athlon t-bird 512MB Ram that my parents use.

lepz
April 26th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Debian Etch
Sabayon
Ubuntu 7.04

kdragon
April 26th, 2007, 10:25 AM
Ubuntu 7.04
Windows Xp
Mac osx86 10.4.8

:)

Pobega
April 26th, 2007, 11:12 AM
I'm running Debian Lenny on my laptop and FreeBSD on my desktop; I plan on installing Solaris eventually, when I get unlazy.

And yeah, I really hate dual booting too; It's a waste of time and resources in my opinion.

Karlos
April 26th, 2007, 12:22 PM
I use Musix and Dyne:bolic in my studio. Ubuntu and PCLinuxOS at home for the family.
My personal all time favourite has to be Slackware tho... been going back to it periodically for years, so I suppose slack is my "main distro", I enjoy compiling programs and so on and slack is a great distro for that...

ghowells
April 26th, 2007, 12:31 PM
Main machine: Feisty
Music machine: WinXP (Damn you Line6 for your lack of Linux support!)
Router: Old box running OpenBSD
Dev box (Compaq Proliant server): Changes nearly weekly, currently Solaris10

chakkaradeep
April 26th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I have these in my laptop(my main machine),

1) Ubuntu Feisty
2) Yoper 3.0 Beta
3) Vista Business Edition

loell
April 26th, 2007, 12:34 PM
i've actually use elive for four months like a year ago, and was still hanging out in the forum.

koshatnik
April 26th, 2007, 12:38 PM
Edgy
Slackware
DesktopBSD
WinXP (need it for one app work related)

Bavo
April 26th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I'm using OSX on my macbook at home, i'm getting kind of used to it, but I still like Ubuntu better.
I'm installing Feisty on it, but I'm taking my time :) (With this weather I like to do other things than using my computer)

At work I use Ubuntu and sometimes, if I really have to Windows.

gordy716
April 26th, 2007, 01:25 PM
As a complete newbi to unbuntu, i'm using xp as main and when i install my old hard drive, Unbuntu on that.
Played with the live cd and liked it, also there is so much help on this forums i should be able to learn how to use the terminal quite fast.
Looking forward to the challenge.:)

JerseyShoreComputer
April 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
Unbuntu 7.04 for my home (some outside of work projects) and Windows Vista for work. I hate multi booting as well.

bonzodog
April 26th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Zenwalk as the sole OS on this machine. Left Ubuntu cause it seemed bloated and slow, even on a 64 bit machine.

RAV TUX
April 27th, 2007, 07:39 AM
I don't like to dual boot either...

I currently shift between different distros:

I like and use rPath and all rPath based distros(especially: Foresight and Oz)

I periodically install and use:

elive (morphix/knoppix/debian base)
wolvix (SLAX/Slackware base)
sabayon (Gentoo+ base)
knoppix (Debian base)
NepaLinux (Debian base)

I also periodically reinstall windows xp

(I still have Ubuntu installed on an old box, runs extremely slow....I plan to upload a photo collection and install something that will run faster on the old box....I may install PC-BSD back on it or run Wolvix,...I haven't decided yet. I may just donate the old box and be done with it...)

jiminycricket
April 27th, 2007, 09:31 AM
I usually use Windows XP and OS X Tiger 10.4. But these forums are addicting.

diskotek
April 27th, 2007, 11:00 AM
ubuntu egdy eft
sam linux 2007
windows xp

Toet
April 27th, 2007, 11:05 AM
Feisty with XP in VMPlayer (for HT Ratings) and Windows mobile 5 on pda (do not yet dare to put Linux on my loox c550).

use a name
April 27th, 2007, 11:15 AM
Practically nothing else, but I keep XP around for, uh, well, dunno yet.

drakos
April 27th, 2007, 12:38 PM
I'm dual-booting Xubuntu and XP right now, but once Leopard comes out I'm getting a MacBook and making my desktop Ubuntu only.

kc1di
April 27th, 2007, 12:59 PM
use the following distros here.
PClinuxOS 2007 test3 Laptop.
Ubuntu CE this machine
Ubuntu 7.04 older machine.
Also have used in the past year all of the following
Debian 4.0
Mepis 6.0
SuSE 10.3
Fedora Core 6
still like ubuntu best for package management.

DJiNN
April 27th, 2007, 04:09 PM
Currently have 4 machines on the go myself...... (Often, but not "Always" on at the same time i might add....) :)

Machine 1: P4 2.4 running Feisty (with Gnome) as my main Workstation, but i also have XP on there as well, mainly because there are still times when i need it.

Machine 2: AMD 4200 (I think) running XP. This machine is waiting to be put into my studio (for music purposes) but i haven't finished building it yet.... not long now though. :)

Machine 3: My Laptop - Core 2 Duo 2ghz, running both Feisty & XP, although i mainly boot into Feisty unless i'm doing some studio/music production then i'll use XP.

Machine 4: An old PIII 1Ghz running both Xubuntu & Zenwalk, just for playing & learning more about Zen & Debian really, and also because it was laying around doing nothing so i thought "Why not!?" :)

So, lots of (X)Ubuntu & XP, with a smattering of Zenwalk. But as in all things, that could change at any time. :)

madman91
April 27th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Ubuntu as a main OS.

Gentoo as a secondary fun OS.

WalmartSniperLX
April 27th, 2007, 08:51 PM
Sorry - not to revive a dying thread :P, but I forgot to mention that I also frequently change distros. Actually I haven't with my primary pc, but with my other one I switch often. So far Ive tried Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Wolvix, Slax, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and probably another one that I cant think of on the top of my head.

I also tried installing PCBSD but it never installs. The installer is very slow and it seems to just lock up (on my primary pc) and on my older pc it doesnt even launch the installer. I also tried many other alternatives to install it. I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I should try a custom text install or something once I figure out what's wrong.

I also ran solaris for a while but I felt too limited with it so I went back to linux. Soon I hope to get a new laptop for college. But, I don't know if I should get a pc laptop or a mac. >.<. If I get a pc laptop Ill go for a lenovo and if I get a mac, Ill go for the macbook (not pro).

e00878
April 27th, 2007, 09:03 PM
Zenwalk 4.4.1 :)
Xubuntu 7.04 :confused: Because of x1600 ati drivers
Windows XP :(

psionyk
April 27th, 2007, 09:04 PM
Archlinux as my primary distro, and I'm also trying to dabble in *BSD land through FreeBSD and openBSD.

Haven't tried Ubuntu on my machine since Dapper, so I'm probably going to take a test drive of Xubuntu Feisty. :)

Windows XP Pro for games. (I know, I know...)

justin whitaker
April 27th, 2007, 09:08 PM
Drive One: Ubuntu Feisty.
Drive Two: PC-BSD.
Drive Three: Testing and Project Drive.

zubrug
April 27th, 2007, 09:15 PM
Kubuntu on my main, sidux and waiting to try feisty release of fluxbuntu.

DJiNN
April 27th, 2007, 10:35 PM
Sorry - not to revive a dying thread :P, but I forgot to mention that I also frequently change distros. Actually I haven't with my primary pc, but with my other one I switch often. So far Ive tried Gentoo, Ubuntu, Fedora, Suse, Wolvix, Slax, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, and probably another one that I cant think of on the top of my head.

It's really adictive isn't it? :) And so many really great distros, all with a set of "Pros & Cons" it makes it difficult sometimes to choose which one you'd like to use.

I also tried installing PCBSD but it never installs. The installer is very slow and it seems to just lock up (on my primary pc) and on my older pc it doesnt even launch the installer. I also tried many other alternatives to install it. I couldn't figure it out. Maybe I should try a custom text install or something once I figure out what's wrong.

If you do find out the problem, i'd be interested as i had the same problem with PCBSD. I tried several times to install it, but in the end just gave up. Shame, because it looked really good & the installer (While it worked) was really good.

I also ran solaris for a while but I felt too limited with it so I went back to linux. Soon I hope to get a new laptop for college. But, I don't know if I should get a pc laptop or a mac. >.<. If I get a pc laptop Ill go for a lenovo and if I get a mac, Ill go for the macbook (not pro).

Haven't tried Solaris yet, and not sure if i'll ever get around to it with so many interesting distros around. :)

DJiNN
April 27th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Kubuntu on my main, sidux and waiting to try feisty release of fluxbuntu.

I've just burnt the Sidux disc & am waiting to give it a try.... just gotta make a partition free somewhere. Looks really good though, and the Live CD runs well.

But the Feisty Fluxbuntu is what i'm "Really" waiting for........ i think that's going to be worth waiting for.

Too many distros, too little time! :)

davtaine
April 28th, 2007, 08:40 AM
Sidux Χάος and Sidux-lite, only. Totally fits my needs