PDA

View Full Version : Status of name

aysiu
April 26th, 2007, 04:22 AM
By the way... haven't heard back from Canonical's trademark office about the name Ubuntuzilla. I doubt they'll object to it if they approved Ubuntu Christian Edition, but it'd be nice to get the official okay.

I'll update this thread when I get it.

nanotube
April 26th, 2007, 04:48 AM
By the way... haven't heard back from Canonical's trademark office about the name Ubuntuzilla. I doubt they'll object to it if they approved Ubuntu Christian Edition, but it'd be nice to get the official okay.

I'll update this thread when I get it.

yes, it would be nice to hear from them one way or the other (preferably not the other). we will just keep on using the Ubuntuzilla name, and if they end up coming back to us with a "no", we can just come up with another one, and "rebrand" all our materials (since there aren't that many of them).

aysiu
May 4th, 2007, 07:10 AM
It's been a week. Do you want to email them and see what's up? Should I?

nanotube
May 4th, 2007, 03:37 PM
It's been a week. Do you want to email them and see what's up? Should I?
hmm... well i guess a week is a pretty long time in the email world. since you sent them the original message, maybe you'd send them a little follow-up, asking "hey, did you guys receive my email, what's up" type of thing. :)

but if you think it would be better coming from me, then i'll send it (just as long as we don't both send it and flood their inbox - not that 2 emails is a flood...)

aysiu
May 4th, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yeah, I'll send a follow-up.

aysiu
May 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM
Still no word from them. Is this kind of response time typical?

nanotube
May 21st, 2007, 05:33 AM
Still no word from them. Is this kind of response time typical?

hm, no clue, since i have never had to contact these guys before...
maybe ubuntu-geek is the person to ask about the typical response time from ubuntu trademarks department, since he's the one who recommended to do it in the first place...?

aysiu
May 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Good point.

aysiu
May 23rd, 2007, 05:15 PM
I asked ubuntu-geek, who said response times are typically one to two weeks, not a month, so he suggested I contact Jane Silber directly, and I have.

If I get a response, I'll let you know.

aysiu
May 29th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Still no word from Jane about our appeal to keep ubuntuzilla. I think we should just consider doing an entirely different name altogether--one that neither employs Ubuntu nor Mozilla in its name.

Would it be silly to do some kind of acronym like OBIS (Official Build Installation Script)?

yabbadabbadont
May 29th, 2007, 10:05 PM
Still no word from Jane about our appeal to keep ubuntuzilla. I think we should just consider doing an entirely different name altogether--one that neither employs Ubuntu nor Mozilla in its name.

Would it be silly to do some kind of acronym like OBIS (Official Build Installation Script)?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBIS

:twisted:

aysiu
May 29th, 2007, 10:07 PM
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/OBIS

:twisted:
Doh!

I'll have to do some more brainstorming.

nanotube
May 30th, 2007, 12:05 AM
Doh!

I'll have to do some more brainstorming.

heh well, since their OBIS has nothing to do with software installation, ubuntu, or mozilla, i don't think that a name conflict would be of import (even apple was allowed to use the apple name at the same time as apple records, as long as they didn't get into the music business). so if OBIS ends up as the best alternative, then this oceanography OBIS is no reason to pass it by. :) (but then again, IANAL, so...)

anyway, i think we should see what we get from jane about this before we start thinking about other names (though i suppose as an exercise in creativity it wouldn't hurt anyway)

aysiu
May 30th, 2007, 12:09 AM
I agree fully.

If I come up with anything clever in the meantime, I'll post it here.

yabbadabbadont
May 30th, 2007, 12:50 AM
Except that that OBIS is the name of an oceanography software system, so that would most likely prevent you from obtaining a trademark. You can only reuse a name as long as it is not already used in a related paradigm. I had to listen to the company's trademark attorney drone on about this subject for (what seemed like) hours one time...

Turned out that the name they company wanted to use for a software product was in use, but by a company that produced the walls for toilet stalls. We programmers thought that made it oddly appropriate. :twisted:

nanotube
May 30th, 2007, 05:00 AM
Except that that OBIS is the name of an oceanography software system, so that would most likely prevent you from obtaining a trademark. You can only reuse a name as long as it is not already used in a related paradigm. I had to listen to the company's trademark attorney drone on about this subject for (what seemed like) hours one time...

Turned out that the name they company wanted to use for a software product was in use, but by a company that produced the walls for toilet stalls. We programmers thought that made it oddly appropriate. :twisted:

hehe well... thanks for pointing it out, then :)

aysiu
May 30th, 2007, 08:42 PM
What about something like slickupdate or easyzilla?

nanotube
May 31st, 2007, 01:01 AM
What about something like slickupdate or easyzilla?

interesting... i'm liking these alternatives. :)

aysiu
May 31st, 2007, 02:25 AM
Well, at first I was a bit demoralized by Jane's rejection of our proposed name (I kind of liked that name), but having a name unassociated with Ubuntu also leaves things more open. What if this script gets ported to other Debian-based distros, for example (which I'm not 100% about, but I'd think would just entail changing sudo to su). Who knows?

If I come up with other possibilities, I'll post them here. Same for you, I hope.

yabbadabbadont
May 31st, 2007, 02:39 AM
slickupdate seems to be available, but easyzilla appears to be in use as a domain name for an "adult" website. ;)

nanotube
May 31st, 2007, 04:05 AM
Well, at first I was a bit demoralized by Jane's rejection of our proposed name (I kind of liked that name), but having a name unassociated with Ubuntu also leaves things more open. What if this script gets ported to other Debian-based distros, for example (which I'm not 100% about, but I'd think would just entail changing sudo to su). Who knows?

If I come up with other possibilities, I'll post them here. Same for you, I hope.

well, i'm still kinda hoping that we will be able to hash it out with jane. if we don't hear from her in the next day or two, i think we should send a followup asking "what's up" :)

but yea, i'll also think about it and see if i can come up with anything good. i did rather well last time with "ubuntuzilla", though. would be so sad to give it up. :)

nanotube
May 31st, 2007, 04:05 AM
slickupdate seems to be available, but easyzilla appears to be in use as a domain name for an "adult" website. ;)

hehe

aysiu
July 16th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Now that it's been two months and no word from Jane Silber, should we change the name to something else?

nanotube
July 24th, 2007, 04:32 AM
Now that it's been two months and no word from Jane Silber, should we change the name to something else?

i'd say quite the contrary - stick with it until they come to us of their own accord and tell us to change it...