PDA

View Full Version : Whats your favorite WM?

darklemming54
April 25th, 2007, 10:13 PM
what WM do you love and why?

I like openbox because its the fastest in my experience and it has obmenu to edit the menu

igknighted
April 25th, 2007, 10:17 PM
I like Ice and Fluxbox personally.

Hex_Mandos
April 25th, 2007, 10:50 PM
Beryl

Demio
April 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Aqua :lolflag:

Hex_Mandos
April 25th, 2007, 11:31 PM
AFAIK, Aqua isn't a WM in the X11 sense of the word.

RedSquirrel
April 26th, 2007, 01:09 AM
Fluxbox. Fast and I find the config files easy to manipulate.

FoolsGold
April 26th, 2007, 01:15 AM
Terminal

BuffaloX
April 26th, 2007, 01:25 AM
Beryl.
After getting used to Beryl, anything less is just well erh... less.

yabbadabbadont
April 26th, 2007, 01:29 AM
Fluxbox. Fast and I find the config files easy to manipulate.

++

Fluxbox from SVN is great.

Somenoob
April 26th, 2007, 01:49 AM
IceWM and Openbox, fluxbox is also fine.

diskotek
April 26th, 2007, 01:51 AM
gnome & xfce

Pobega
April 26th, 2007, 02:25 AM
I'm surprised that I'm the first to say it in this, but I'm a sap for Window Maker. I love the speed and comfort of it.

reacocard
April 26th, 2007, 03:11 AM
Beryl/Compiz

Can't wait for the merge. :grin:

Henry Rayker
April 26th, 2007, 05:17 AM
E17. Anything else is just...inefficient, in my eyes.

DoktorSeven
April 26th, 2007, 05:21 AM
Yet another vote for Fluxbox, the best WM ever. Those of you rusing to the reply box to argue that it's not -- I'm sorry, you're wrong.

:)

tbroderick
April 26th, 2007, 05:35 AM
Beryl/Compiz

Can't wait for the merge. :grin:

Down to just one useless WM ):P

WalmartSniperLX
April 26th, 2007, 07:55 AM
Gnome and fluxbox. :guitar:

igknighted
April 26th, 2007, 08:06 AM
Down to just one useless WM ):P

Thats a silly statement. Imagine what blackbox or any of those other WMs looked like after one year. Of course there are issues. But shifting graphics processing to these ridiculously high powered graphics cards that every computer is coming with now (thank you vista) just makes sense. Plus, by compositing you get the benefit of having true transparency and other useful features (even wobbly windows are proven to increase efficiency as they move in a manner that the human mind expects). So yeah, it's buggy now. But in a few years it will be the norm for all capable hardware and our lives will be better. In fact, gnome/metacity better step it up because compositing features are already in Xfce and KDE4 is like beryl without the cube.

tbroderick
April 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
Thats a silly statement.

I think there are quite a few people who don't care for beryl.

But shifting graphics processing to these ridiculously high powered graphics cards that every computer is coming with now (thank you vista) just makes sense.

Not everyone has high powered graphics nor wants them.

Plus, by compositing you get the benefit of having true transparency and other useful features (even wobbly windows are proven to increase efficiency as they move in a manner that the human mind expects).

You don't need Beryl for true transparency. And no way does wobbly windows improve efficiency, it's pure eye candy. Where are the proven studies on that?

So yeah, it's buggy now.

It's not about the bugs. I find Beryl to complete useless for the way I use my computer. dwm fits my needs perfectly and does increase my efficiency.

But in a few years it will be the norm for all capable hardware and our lives will be better.

No.

In fact, gnome/metacity better step it up because compositing features are already in Xfce and KDE4 is like beryl without the cube.

Best thing you said so far. :)

igknighted
April 26th, 2007, 09:26 AM
I think there are quite a few people who don't care for beryl.
True, but that doesn't make it useless as the quote I referred to said

Not everyone has high powered graphics nor wants them.
Again, true... but as I was saying it isn't useless, many who do like to take advantage of them

You don't need Beryl for true transparency. And no way does wobbly windows improve efficiency, it's pure eye candy. Where are the proven studies on that?
Ok, proven studies might be a little overboard. However, if you read closely what the KDE project is saying about KDE4 they hired ergonomics experts and are including a similar feature as wobbly windows because the natural movements are supposed to make the interface more natural. As for true transparency, you need some sort of compositing WM, and that is more my argument, rather than beryl/compiz specifically. In the very least if there are other ways, compositing does it better.

It's not about the bugs. I find Beryl to complete useless for the way I use my computer. dwm fits my needs perfectly and does increase my efficiency.
It is not a necessity, this is for sure. Then again, imagine how many people probably protested the GUI when these first WM's came out? I can do all my programs in vi/emacs, why do I need an xserver slowing me down? Perhaps those people did not need it, but it enhanced computing in the end, I think we can all agree on that. I don't think compositing WM's are that revolutionary, but the concept is similar. They add to the overall computing experience.

No.
Maybe, maybe not. By the norm I mean that KDE, Gnome and Xfce will all have rather advanced compositing functions available (probably rendering beryl meaningless as a standalone WM), so the functionality will be standard in many (most?) distro's if you wish to use it

Best thing you said so far. :)
At least we agree on something :)

koshatnik
April 26th, 2007, 09:32 AM
E17. Anything else is just...inefficient, in my eyes.

Can you get E17 to work properly? I always found that things like Bookmarks wouldnt work in E17 filemanager, or that if I was say browsing to a file I couldn't navigate up through files, or even type in a path in the text bit - it wouldn't do anything. E17 default filemanager is just awful, IMO, but even when using something else, for certain things like changing an icon always brings up E17's filemanager, which was horrendous and buggy to use.

In the end I scuttled back to fluxbox. Loved E17 though. Hated that stupid FM.

Spr0k3t
April 26th, 2007, 11:11 AM
When I really need to get work done: WM
When I just need to work: emerald/beryl (toned down from default)
When I want to play: a very warped beryl
When I want to game or work heavily in graphics: metacity

fuscia
April 26th, 2007, 01:50 PM
i usually end up with either openbox, icewm or kde. openbox is the one i've used the most and feel the most comfortable with.

Sunflower1970
April 26th, 2007, 03:25 PM
IceWM, E17 for lighter ones, then Gnome.

I've been trying out fvwm & fvwm-crystal and so far I like them. Still need some more time to get used to them, and do some configuring :)

Still not really sure about Fluxbox...Need to really sit down and play around with it...

bonzodog
April 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Another vote for openbox here.