PDA

View Full Version : Feisty - Why compiz? Why not Beryl?

kpkeerthi
April 25th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Just curious.

ComplexNumber
April 25th, 2007, 09:59 PM
because compiz is more stable.

anyway, they are both in the process of converging.

Tomosaur
April 25th, 2007, 10:01 PM
Yes, Beryl is re-merging with compiz, so compiz will eventually be the main development trunk.

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Just curious.

Beryl is now merging back into Compiz, so Beryl is pretty much dead.

Mazza558
April 25th, 2007, 10:03 PM
I wonder what will happen for all the Beryl users when they upgrade? Will it be pretty muvh the same, but renamed to Compiz?

Inxsible
April 25th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Oh crap !!

I kinda liked the name "Beryl" over "Compiz"

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 10:07 PM
I wonder what will happen for all the Beryl users when they upgrade? Will it be pretty muvh the same, but renamed to Compiz?

I'm expecting that I'll have to uninstall Beryl and install Compiz at some point, but I will not do this until Compiz has the same amount of features that Beryl currently has.

igknighted
April 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Oh crap !!

I kinda liked the name "Beryl" over "Compiz"

They are picking a new name from what I have heard (possibly Coral? Thats really lame).

It isn't a matter of one "dying" at the hands of the other, but rather both ceasing to exist in their present form and their best features will be combined. So beryl is by no means dead.

mips
April 25th, 2007, 10:39 PM
Is there a kde/kununtu guide for compiz on feisty ?

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 10:45 PM
They are picking a new name from what I have heard (possibly Coral? Thats really lame).

It isn't a matter of one "dying" at the hands of the other, but rather both ceasing to exist in their present form and their best features will be combined. So beryl is by no means dead.

From my understanding, the core will still be called Compiz while the plugins section is currently being called "Composite Community". When I mean Beryl is dead, I mean that there won't be another version of Beryl. You'll find the features of Beryl in Compiz sometime in the future. I'm all for name change, but I haven't heard of anything about it thus far.

Hex_Mandos
April 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
They sould've picked a "fiery" name, to compensate for Aqua and Aero. Or maybe the FSF should make a fork and call it Ignus.

old_geekster
April 25th, 2007, 10:55 PM
I have found "Beryl" to be very stable on my rig with Feisty. All of the plugins are enabled and working great.

I have enabled "Desktop Effects", which I understand is "Compiz", with no success. My system does not operate properly.

lepz
April 25th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Who wants to be named after a chocolate bar (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aero_(chocolate)) ? ;)

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2007, 11:17 PM
When I mean Beryl is dead, I mean that there won't be another version of Beryl.
That's interesting considering I'm running Beryl 0.3.0 SVN.

But Compiz is a little more stable. Although Beryl has reached a stable release, it's still under development. Although I've never had any issues with Beryl.

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 11:24 PM

But Compiz is a little more stable. Although Beryl has reached a stable release, it's still under development. Although I've never had any issues with Beryl.

Why would there be another version of Beryl?

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2007, 11:29 PM
Not sure, but since all the repos for Dapper with the latest stable version of Beryl have disappeared, I've been forced to use the SVN repo and a few days after 0.2.0 was released 0.3.0 came out in SVN.

ronocdh
April 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
They sould've picked a "fiery" name, to compensate for Aqua and Aero. Or maybe the FSF should make a fork and call it Ignus.
You know... that's a really cool idea! =)

Hex_Mandos
April 26th, 2007, 12:42 AM
Thanks! BTW, That's the kind of thing that two overcaffeinated brains can produce after being awake for too long trying to install Slackware on a decade old box.

BuffaloX
April 26th, 2007, 01:37 AM

Afaik it's only the cores that get merged.
Both will continue as before otherwise.

This way Both Beryl and Compiz will get stronger, because they can easier integrate the best developments from each other.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2007, 02:07 AM

I actually have had more problems with Beryl than I do with Compiz. Beryl sporadically locked up my computer when I played opengl games. So I switched to Compiz, and I don't have the problems I did with Beryl.

ThrobbingBrain66
April 26th, 2007, 02:08 AM

You may be using Beryl SVN, but you also haven't received any updates for it since (roughly) it was announced that Beryl and Compiz were merging back together. So while Trevino's svn (now git) repo still exists, development on Beryl as we know it has ceased.

mrgnash
April 26th, 2007, 02:38 AM
I don't get a cube or any window decorations under Compiz, while Beryl works flawlessly. More stable my ---

Mateo
April 26th, 2007, 03:17 AM
neither should be default. aiglrx or whatever it's called doesn't even work with fglrx, which is the driver a LOT of ATI users use. We have to install XGL to even use compiz or beryl. Why would you make a piece of software default if a huge number of users can't even use it.

samjh
April 26th, 2007, 03:21 AM
Compiz is more stable than Beryl.

As others have said, Beryl is merging its source with Compiz. Compiz will still be compiz, but extra plugins that form Beryl will still be known as Beryl (last time I checked).

hanzomon4
April 26th, 2007, 04:08 AM
I don't get a cube or any window decorations under Compiz, while Beryl works flawlessly. More stable my ---

Same here,

But regardless if I wanted to make it work I could....

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 04:24 AM
Is there a kde/kununtu guide for compiz on feisty ?
Don't...ever....do that....

KDE + Compiz = Disaster

Compiz is very gnome based. Beryl is more like the savior of KDE desktops. Hopefully it's KDE capabilities will be merged back into Compiz, since that is pretty much it's greatest selling point for me, and of course all the features are nice too. I really hope Compiz stops using gconf. Really annoying when I'm on a kde-only desktop...

matthewdhandley
April 26th, 2007, 08:33 AM
neither should be default. aiglrx or whatever it's called doesn't even work with fglrx, which is the driver a LOT of ATI users use. We have to install XGL to even use compiz or beryl. Why would you make a piece of software default if a huge number of users can't even use it.

Amen to that. I am forced to use fglrx under xgl to get either compiz or Beryl to work. My need for Beryl and fglrx is what's keeping me from upgrading to Feisty. (Since it apparently no longer supports my graphics card)

I honestly don't know what people are talking about when they say Compiz is more stable. I had repeated problems with Compiz, but I have never had a single problem with Beryl. Beryl rocks!

zenwhen
April 26th, 2007, 12:07 PM
Anecdotal evidence from a few users about Compiz not working on their systems has little to do with the fact that Compiz is the more stable choice at this point in time. I have been using Beryl, but both work for me fine. If Compiz does not work on your system, it could have something do do with a configuration change you have made.

As for the "AIGLX should not be default" comments, the Ubuntu devs went with the best of the two systems for compositing. AIGLX is default because it is a part of Xorg. ATi should support this compisitor, but does not. ATi users should look to ATi for a solution to why the default compisitor for Ubuntu Linux's desktop does not work on their system.

I am glad to see this merge happening. It is going to lead to a better overall product and less infighting.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM

I am using Compiz, and I have a cube with an animated skydome. I can use any metacity theme I can find with it, and Compiz makes the metacity theme have transparent titlebars, etc. You set all of this up in the GLDesktop settings in System/Preferences. I also downloaded from somewhere a Compiz settings manager that is even more detailed. The only thing I can't do with Compiz that I could do in Beryl is have thumnail previews when I mouseover the taskbar entries. Maybe you still need to install the extra Compiz plugins to get these other things.

Like I said earlier, when I switched from Beryl to Compiz, my computer stopped locking up with opengl games. Hopefully when they merge, we will get the best of both worlds.

Sunflower1970
April 26th, 2007, 03:41 PM
I'm kinda going to miss Beryl. For whatever reason, it's much more stable than Compiz on my 3 computers....

I'm hoping when the merge that it'll still be stable on my systems..

Mateo
April 26th, 2007, 03:57 PM
As for the "AIGLX should not be default" comments, the Ubuntu devs went with the best of the two systems for compositing. AIGLX is default because it is a part of Xorg. ATi should support this compisitor, but does not. ATi users should look to ATi for a solution to why the default compisitor for Ubuntu Linux's desktop does not work on their system.

That's not what I said. What I said what that Compiz should not be installed by default. You shouldn't have a piece of software default that won't work for a large segment of users.

orb9220
April 26th, 2007, 05:19 PM
Yes Mateo
I agree ubuntu seems to left out ATI and KDE user's which I am not.
But I would not have released it as default if I couldn't do it for ATI and KDE too.

Just would left it to the user's to install. Like I do for beryl.

This is just a matter of preception but I would be a little PO'd if beryl works on both KDE and Gnome then Ubuntu then goes to choose compiz.

The biggest thing holding me back from compiz right now is gconf. I hate it for compiz where at least beryl manager I can click away to enable and disable.

Much easier.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2007, 06:32 PM
The biggest thing holding me back from compiz right now is gconf. I hate it for compiz where at least beryl manager I can click away to enable and disable.

Much easier.

As far as I know, you don't have to use gconf. There are other configuration tools for Compiz out there. Also, you don't have to use Metacity themes with it. I think it's possible to get the core working with KDE. Anyway, we won't have to worry about it. I'm sure in the merge, the end result will be something that will work with Gnome and KDE. From what I've been reading, there won't be a Compiz or a Beryl anymore. There will be something with a new name (maybe Coral) that integrates the best of both.

Have you thought about how the name Coral is kind of a mix between Compiz and Beryl?

orb9220
April 26th, 2007, 06:55 PM
How about
Comeryl Hehe!

kpolice
April 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
Compiz will stay as Compiz not Coral or whatever other weird names.

BTW right now must of the beryl plugins work under Compiz git in ArchLinux. I am using animation and emerald flawlessly in Compiz and it is rock solid in my machine while Beryl hangs my GNOME session as soon as it's started.

SZF2001
April 26th, 2007, 07:15 PM
I say it should be called:

The Super Awesome Desktop Stuff to Make Your Desktop Awesome

But that's just me.

TSADSMYDA

hanzomon4
April 28th, 2007, 04:12 AM
You set all of this up in the GLDesktop settings in System/Preferences.

I don't have this? I couldn't find a gldesktop in the repos, so.....

Tundro Walker
April 28th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Look for "gnome-compiz-manager". It installs the "System > Preferences > GL Desktop" so you can alter some Compiz settings through a GUI interface. It's easier to mess with, but you can't tweak as many options.

EG: You can't adjust the options for ALL the Compix plugins, just the main ones (like the cube, plane/sliding, etc).

Also, maybe it's just mine, but when I deactivate some options, then close and re-open the Compiz Manager, the options are re-enabled (EG: screenshots controlled through compiz).

I think it's a great start, but it'd be nice to see a more robust GUI options panel, one that would figure out which Compiz plug-ins you have installed and let you tweak their options as well, perhaps with an "Easy" mode and an "Advanced User" mode setting, so beginners won't freak out by all the options. (Because if you look in gconf-editor, there are a LOT of Compiz options.) The "Easy" mode would just have very basic settings like "Best, Moderate, Limited, Off" to set graphics depending your computer's horse-power. And also include specific options like "What kind of Compiz display would you like? Cube, Plane, etc"

Side note, "gnome-compiz-manager" is not in the "official" Ubuntu repo's (IE: doesn't have the Ubuntu mark next to it in Synaptic), so you may need to click to use extended repo's to see it / install it.

Hope this helps.

hanzomon4
April 29th, 2007, 03:52 PM
Great I've used this before...

I like the look of it simple and pretty. It's lacking in options like configuring the level of wobbliness but I actually always turn wobbly off. I know beryl has a similar configuration app, I think it was based on this because the scale dialog is almost identical.''

Anybody know when compiz will start to integrate the Wall plugin and tabber+grouper?

EDIT: Never mind the group plugin is there it just can't tab.

prizrak
April 30th, 2007, 02:05 PM
The main reason it's Compiz and not Beryl is because it can use Metacity themes as opposed to needing a separate theme. Sencond most important reason is they are the same thing now.