PDA

View Full Version : Network Roaming

beercz
April 25th, 2007, 08:19 PM
Hello all

I think this is the right forum. If not, can someone please move it to the correct forum.

Bit a a dumb question I suppose, but here goes ...

My wireless network works ok, and I connect to several wireless networks depending on where I am.

Every time I want to connect to a different wireless network I have to open network manager and select the appropriate previously saved location profile.

I have tried turning on roaming mode, but for me at least I cannot connect to any wireless network in this mode.

Can someone tell me what roaming mode is supposed to do, or, post a link that describes it. I couldn't find any.

Thanks.

PartisanEntity
April 25th, 2007, 08:33 PM
As far as I know (and noticed) Roaming Mode will move on to the next network if it can't connect tothe first one. I noticed it here at home when I try to connect to my home wifi network, if it can't connect, then it will connect to my neighbours network.

ssam
April 25th, 2007, 08:36 PM
network manager does not work with all cards (eg the rt2500).

in these case you have to disable network roaming, and use system->administration_.network like you did in edgy.

PartisanEntity
April 25th, 2007, 09:15 PM
network manager does not work with all cards (eg the rt2500).

in these case you have to disable network roaming, and use system->administration_.network like you did in edgy.

But as far as I know that only applies to open or 'weped' networks and not wpa encrypted ones?