PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you bike?

daynah
April 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I just recently started riding my bike to work. I used to do this every day while at my old college, while working on campuse, but it's quite a different story when you work somewhere different than where you live. :)

I started a tiny blog, not even a custom layout or anything, of my adventures in bike commuting, which currently amount to two days. It's... here. (http://tabulas.com/~bikeday)

So... do you ride a bike? On a mountain? BMX? Just around the neighboorhood or park? A hardcore racer? A commuter biker? Or are you an alternative biker like a chopper, penny fathing, unicycle, or have a cruiser (like me, yes, I'm insane for commuting on it)?

If you don't ride a bike, why not? Have you thought about it? What got me finally off my lazy bootay (not the pirate kind) and out there is how awesome looking the Electra bikes (http://www.electrabike.com) are, if a bit expensive.

hardyn
April 25th, 2007, 07:53 PM
I used to do quite a bit of free-ride cycling, no so much anymore... after we turned 20 we all started getting hurt, broken collar bones, soft tissue dammage etc. I haven't been riding much as of late, but but still like to get out on XC bike.

I am super stoked about my single speed commuter... something that i plan to put together this weekend. I wanted a super retro commuter, and a single speed seemed a nice way to go... plus a had a mess of parts, so it actully didn't cost me that much:

a '99 Kona Caldera steel frame i bought used
i have some old Ringle hubs i will build to some cheap Sun CR-17a rims
some '99 Shimano 105 road cracks i found on ebay
a Race-Face seatpost i bought off a buy and sell website
i had to buy a Kona Project 2 fork new (i really wanted to avoid that)
and i have a stem, bar, saddle, brakes, everything else to complete the bike kicking around.

should be fun!

OffHand
April 25th, 2007, 07:59 PM
I'm Dutch ;)

BWF89
April 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
I don't have my drivers license yet so yes I bike everywhere.

diskotek
April 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
i used to bike many years ago..

last time when i was on interrail last sumer: i rented bike in vienna (austria). it was wonderful.. but the place i'm living now, not so suitable for biking :(

aysiu
April 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
My wife and I like the idea of riding our bikes... in theory.

In practice, we don't for several reasons:
1. We live on the third floor of our apartment building, it's annoying to haul the bikes up and down the stairs.
2. Drivers are crazy. I rode my bike to work once and almost got killed.
3. The bus gets me to work faster.
4. My wife has to carry huge projects to school, and she can't ride a bike while doing that, so she drives.

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I often go cycling with my kids down the local park but i use my sons old mountain bike as i dont actually have one of my own nowadays.
Cycling to work is out of the question but it`s not something i would even consider down here in London even if i could.....getting to the park is hard enough:)

tehbeermang
April 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I've had the same cannondale 3.0 series crit frame road bike for 15 years now. Bought it in high school. I don't ride it near as much as I used to, nor as much as I should.

It's a lot of fun, despite having only 6 cogs in back.

igknighted
April 25th, 2007, 09:46 PM
I used to do quite a bit of free-ride cycling, no so much anymore... after we turned 20 we all started getting hurt, broken collar bones, soft tissue dammage etc. I haven't been riding much as of late, but but still like to get out on XC bike.

I am super stoked about my single speed commuter... something that i plan to put together this weekend. I wanted a super retro commuter, and a single speed seemed a nice way to go... plus a had a mess of parts, so it actully didn't cost me that much:

a '99 Kona Caldera steel frame i bought used
i have some old Ringle hubs i will build to some cheap Sun CR-17a rims
some '99 Shimano 105 road cracks i found on ebay
a Race-Face seatpost i bought off a buy and sell website
i had to buy a Kona Project 2 fork new (i really wanted to avoid that)
and i have a stem, bar, saddle, brakes, everything else to complete the bike kicking around.

should be fun!

w00t! Another Kona rider! I'm not super hard-core into freeride anymore, but I still keep my Kona Stuff as my primary ride. I started off more mountain/XC, but quickly moved into freeride. I am more into urban riding than anything else (mainly due to a lack of great off-road terrain), but anytime I can get on some trails or especially bridges/dirt jumps/drops I love it.

ComplexNumber
April 25th, 2007, 09:49 PM
i used to ride a bike when i were a kid.

i was considering getting fit recently and taking up going for bike rides, but a recent report stating that bike riding can interfere negatively with one's more discrete areas doesn't exactly fill me with encouragement to ride a bike again. click (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-cycling9apr09,1,1557004.story?coll=la-headlines-health&ctrack=1&cset=true).

yabbadabbadont
April 25th, 2007, 10:11 PM
It's been a few years since I rode regularly. I have a 1993 Specialized Hard Rock Ultra mountain bike. I wasn't going to buy a mountain bike, but they were trying to clear out old stock and I got it for a song. Turns out that being able to go off-road was handy since I was regularly run off the road by other vehicles... :x The last time I rode it, I was actually clipped by a car turning onto the road in front of me. I was running downhill at the time at about 25mph and ended up in a ravine beside the road. No one stopped and I didn't get a look at the license plate. (it was a deep ravine) Fortunately, both the bike and myself only suffered minor cuts and bruises. :) I would like to start riding again, but I'm not going to ride on the roads and it seems stupid to have to drive for 30 minutes just to be able to ride a bike.

diskotek
April 25th, 2007, 10:16 PM
My wife and I like the idea of riding our bikes... in theory.

In practice, we don't for several reasons:
1. We live on the third floor of our apartment building, it's annoying to haul the bikes up and down the stairs.
2. Drivers are crazy. I rode my bike to work once and almost got killed.
3. The bus gets me to work faster.
4. My wife has to carry huge projects to school, and she can't ride a bike while doing that, so she drives.

quite same here: i2m living on the fifth floor. in ankara, especially in the city center (where i2m located), peoplle don't use bikes also motorcycles. drivers are not used to live with bikers i believe...

and i go to my job faster by walking :D

ahaslam
April 25th, 2007, 10:25 PM
Currently training for the UK coast 2 coast & a local sponsored ride, so I'm riding everywhere. The problem is I'm actually gaining weight, I can't stop eating & drinking ;)

OffHand
April 25th, 2007, 10:31 PM

i was considering getting fit recently and taking up going for bike rides, but a recent report stating that bike riding can interfere negatively with one's more discrete areas doesn't exactly fill me with encouragement to ride a bike again. click (http://www.latimes.com/features/health/la-he-cycling9apr09,1,1557004.story?coll=la-headlines-health&ctrack=1&cset=true).

I have been biking for 26 years and never experienced any problems. At least no permanent problems :lolflag:

(p.s. I couldn't read the article because I do not feel like signing up to read it.

mips
April 25th, 2007, 10:36 PM
So... do you ride a bike? On a mountain? BMX?

Just to dangerous. People in cars don't feel a **** for you. I used to do BMX racing in the early 80's though and it was fun.

ComplexNumber
April 25th, 2007, 10:40 PM
I have been biking for 26 years and never experienced any problems. At least no permanent problems :lolflag:

(p.s. I couldn't read the article because I do not feel like signing up to read it.
that's reassuring anyway :D

i didn't have to sign up to read it. i'm not a member of that website.

srhlefty
April 25th, 2007, 10:48 PM
I'm fortunate to live within a mile of where I work, so I bike instead of drive. The parking rates are exhorbitant, so I save a tremendous amount (on the order of $1000/yr).

Recently I bought a road bike, and all I can say is "Wow". It feels like cheating compared to riding a mountain bike up hills. Especially with the clip-in shoes, riding is just so energy efficient.

ComplexNumber has a point, biking can be hard on the "sensitive areas", but with a properly adjusted bike you're really not going to be doing much damage unless you're riding for hours at a time.

Cycling is also a nice way to complement running--the former works your quads, the latter your hamstrings. As in most things in life, balance is key.

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 10:54 PM
i was considering getting fit recently and taking up going for bike rides, but a recent report stating that bike riding can interfere negatively with one's more discrete areas doesn't exactly fill me with encouragement to ride a bike again.

Well i might only do the weekend thing now but i was never off my Chopper then BMX as a kid and i also done quite a lot of mountain biking during my teens & twenties and it certainly never caused me any problems with the plumbing:)

ComplexNumber
April 25th, 2007, 11:00 PM
Well i might only do the weekend thing now but i was never off my Chopper then BMX as a kid and i also done quite a lot of mountain biking during my teens & twenties and it certainly never caused me any problems with the plumbing:)
i had a grifter :D. i always wanted a chopper though. the choppers were the epitome of 70's cool.

BWF89
April 25th, 2007, 11:05 PM
I've never paid more than $5 for any of my bikes except my first one I got in elementary school. I have so many my parents want me to get rid of some.

Two of them my Dad found in the trash (fully working) in the 90's.
One of them I walked out of Walmart with for free because of a mixup at the cash register and return center.
One I got for free from a friend
Another I bought from a friend for $5.

bernied
April 25th, 2007, 11:18 PM
I ride one of these (http://www.konaworld.com/bikes/2006/smoke.htm) to work every day, though mine is dirtier and the mud-guards don't look so naff. It's only two miles now, but until last year it used to be seven.

I don't cycle when there is snow on the road, but sleet and wind is bearable.
I wear a high-visibility vest, have the brightest lights I can afford, and still expect that people won't see me.

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2007, 11:32 PM
I used to until someone ran over my bike with a car:shock:

zubrug
April 25th, 2007, 11:33 PM
Alway's take the kids for bike rides in the summer, my boy 5 rides and my daughter 3 sits in the trailer. They love it.
When I was growing up in SA My family along with our cousin rode from Joburg to Durbin, best part was heading into petermaritsburg down a hill that seemed to take half the day to get down.
My oldest brother and our uncle raced from Joburg to Capetown, it was in the papers as well (late seventies, sh_t I am getting old!)
Tried mountain biking when I drove snowcat at Blackcomb (Whistler, BC, Canada), ouch.
When I lived in Victoria, BC they had a blue bike program where you could donate old bikes which would be serviced and painted blue. They would then be dropped off randomly for anyone to use. You would simply leave it next to a lamp post or tree for the next person, would find one every now and then on my way to or from work, loved it.

bcasanov
April 25th, 2007, 11:39 PM
I usually ride my bike in the summer, when there is no need for a rush to go to the university library or other places by bus. I find that riding my bike is actually very enjoyable when I have nothing very pressing to do. The abundance of sidewalks and biker trails here at MSU is very convenient.

Arathorn
April 25th, 2007, 11:40 PM
I'm Dutch ;)

Same here.;) I'm riding a really messed up old bike but it's perfect for the short trips I have to do in Amsterdam, plus nobody wants to steal it.

twowheeler
April 25th, 2007, 11:59 PM
Note my avatar! :)

I don't bike as much as I used to, now that I have entered my ... um, extremely late 40s, but I still love it. I am very fortunate to live in a place where there exist designated bicycle routes and some actual paved paths for bikers on my route to work. I don't like getting wet though, or having wet caliper brakes, so I stick to days with decent weather.

Equipment: ancient Raleigh steel frame 10-speed with judicious upgrades. No fancy pedals either.

Enjoy!

Skye
April 26th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I love to bike. Now that the weather is bearable up here in Boston, I've started biking again. I don't usually bike to school (seeing as I'd rather not arrive to school smelling terrible) but I do enjoy going on longer rides for exercise. If it's a weekday afternoon, I'll go on a 20 mile ride or so- but if it's a weekend, I'll get up early an bike for anywhere from 40-55 miles.

I ride a 2005 Lemond Etape. Someone said earlier that a road bike feels like cheating- I know exactly what you mean, seeing as I switched to this bike (which has a carbon and aluminum frame, and weighs about 21 pounds) from a mountain bike that weighed over 40 pounds.

tscook
April 26th, 2007, 12:27 AM
I lucked out and found a 62cm early 80s Centurion frame in the trash. Stripped it done, converted it into a fixed gear (26x14) and it is now my primary mode of transportation. It's pastel green and pink!

BuffaloX
April 26th, 2007, 01:14 AM
I'm Dutch ;)

Probably means yes then. :grin:
I used to use my bike for all daily transportation needs.
In Copenhagen the bike is faster than anything else for transport.

Now I live in Jutland, and distances are too great for biking.

FoolsGold
April 26th, 2007, 01:17 AM
I guess I should ride more than I do, but I'm a lazy ***.

jerrylamos
April 26th, 2007, 01:20 AM

There are seats with a hole in the center which don't have any pressure on your plumbing or folds as the case may be. I like the ones from Terry. Cheers, Jerry:)

jerrylamos
April 26th, 2007, 01:24 AM
I'm 72 and do fitness exercises 3 x a week, so long as I'm on the top side of the grass. 3 or 4 of the other days I do an hour's bike ride, outside if it's above 32F and reasonable, inside at the fitness place otherwise. I've spent a bit of time on Feisty alpha & beta, and there are a lot of other irons in the fire. Cheers, Jerry:KS

hardyn
April 26th, 2007, 03:15 AM
coming from the interior of british columbia, canada; pretty much the birth place of the "shuttle" (driving to the top of a hill with a 50lb bicycle, and rolling down really really fast) its interesting to read how different people's view on what a bicycle is, varies so much. we have had people talking about road bikes, mountain bikes, commuter bikes, 5$ bicycles etc. just for contrast this in the kinda stuff that is being ridden in the BC's interior and the infamous north shore of vancouver.

http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/images/bikes_enlarge/18_1.jpg

there are may others, this is purly an example... but for typically these downhill "bicycle's" weight can be en excess of 50lb, they don't pedal worth darn, have suspension travel nearing that of many motorcross motorcycles (7-11") and cost about the same. if you havent watched videos showcasing what people are doing with things, i would highly recommend it, its SICK!

srhlefty
April 26th, 2007, 03:53 AM
62cm early 80s Centurion frame

You must be really tall! I've only got a 54, and I'm 5'10

hardyn
April 26th, 2007, 04:03 AM
yeah...

im 6'2" and ride a 58cm

igknighted
April 26th, 2007, 04:06 AM
coming from the interior of british columbia, canada; pretty much the birth place of the "shuttle" (driving to the top of a hill with a 50lb bicycle, and rolling down really really fast) its interesting to read how different people's view on what a bicycle is, varies so much. we have had people talking about road bikes, mountain bikes, commuter bikes, 5$ bicycles etc. just for contrast this in the kinda stuff that is being ridden in the BC's interior and the infamous north shore of vancouver.

http://www.norco.com/2007bikes/images/bikes_enlarge/18_1.jpg

there are may others, this is purly an example... but for typically these downhill "bicycle's" weight can be en excess of 50lb, they don't pedal worth darn, have suspension travel nearing that of many motorcross motorcycles (7-11") and cost about the same. if you havent watched videos showcasing what people are doing with things, i would highly recommend it, its SICK!

Agreed, I recommend the Cranked series personally, trailer here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fcrv1RqU2PY

And this is a classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkC5xH3n6no

ahaslam
April 28th, 2007, 08:44 PM
Just bought a new Rock Hopper today ;)

kanem
April 28th, 2007, 10:28 PM
Just bought a new Rock Hopper today ;)
Nice! So, what are you doing inside?!:)

I love bikes. So elegant. The most efficient machine ever invented.

The only time I didn't ride a bike was when I was in high school and "too cool" to be seen on one. Started again in university and thought it would be temporary until I could afford a car, but somewhere along the way I become some kind of environmentalist. Now the only way I'm ever getting a car is if I'm forced to by living in suburbia (the horror!) or we finally get 100% electric cars.

To all the Dutch here: screw you! I'm so jealous of your bike lanes!:) Are they like in Amsterdam in the other cities as well?

jfca283
April 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM
some days of the week i bike to La Moneda, the official house of government
are like 16 km to go and come back from my house
i do it just for sport and enjoy the trip

xpod
April 28th, 2007, 10:48 PM
i had a grifter . i always wanted a chopper though. the choppers were the epitome of 70's cool.

How mads that....i felt very upset up with the Chopper and was real hacked off i never had a Grifter:)
I thought the gears built into the handgrip was sooo much cooler than reaching down for that big hand-brake like thing.In hindsight though the Chopper was the man eh.

Having a younger brother with the Thomahawk came in real handy one day after i tried inflating my front tyre at a garage....BOOOM ........his back tyre `n` tube fitted my front perfectly:-\"

Them were the days

ahaslam
April 28th, 2007, 10:51 PM
Nice! So, what are you doing inside?!:)

Been out all day, now I'm drinking beer & relaxing. I seem to bike, drink & relax in equal quantities. Some say I'm horizontal, others a fitness freak & some a drunk, at least I'm not a workaholic ;)

gusjones
April 28th, 2007, 11:17 PM
I do over 115 miles per week cycling three days of my five to and from work.

My route takes me from Dunfermline in Fife across fields and tracks and I also cross over the forth road bridge en route to the outskirts of Edinburgh-- it's great seeing the sunrise.

I do this all year round, people at work think I'm a bit mad but over time they have gotten used to me. I find all in all it keeps me sane and puts my life in perspective.

My many adventures have involved chasing buzzards avoiding Swans, chasing foxes, being chased by dogs, falling off, avoiding crazed death rabbits, scaring deer, cycling through blizzards, being blown off, and trying to keep up with racers on road sections with my trusty old mountain bike.

I also enjoy some off road XC riding on my full susser and am a fully qualified trail cycling leader. For two weeks in the summer I am a mountain bike activity leader at a Christian summer camp on the banks of Loch Lomond.

Not to mention the fact that I love to collect and fix up old bikes.

So you could say I bike! :popcorn:

... well you did ask... (I wish I'd spotted this thread earlier :( )

xpod
April 28th, 2007, 11:21 PM
My route takes me from Dunfermline in Fife across fields and tracks and I also cross over the forth road bridge en route to the outskirts of Edinburgh-- it's great seeing the sunrise.

Now if i could see my bonnie Edinburgh as i cycled along i`d mabey do a bit more :)

I also enjoy some off road XC riding on my full susser and am a fully qualified trail cycling leader. For two weeks in the summer I am a mountain bike activity leader at a Christian summer camp on the banks of Loch Lomond.

Stop it......your just making me home sick now:lolflag:

gusjones
April 28th, 2007, 11:26 PM
...I did my time down south... too homesick in the end.

r u in London?

RandomJoe
April 29th, 2007, 02:20 AM
I love riding recumbents. My current one is a RANS V-Rex (http://www.ransbikes.com/VREX07.htm), as shown in my avatar. I also have a "beater" hybrid for quick trips to the store, since I'm far more comfortable parking a $300 bike out front than my rather-more-equipped $2300 V-Rex! (I've put a lot of extra goodies on it.) I'm a bit of a speed freak, I put on a 3x9 hub with 11-21 cassette, and that combined with the three chainrings lets me pedal the bike even at around 47 MPH! Fun... (Yeah, that would be downhill - one ride we do every year takes us down a roughly 1 mile long slope. Quite a few of us are cruising over 50 MPH by the end!)

At the height of my riding, just a few years ago, I was going 20-30 miles per day and taking really long 75-100 mile rides on weekends. But I let stress and work irritations get to me and I quit riding as much and gained a lot of weight back. Grr... Finally switched jobs (should have done that LONG ago) and am starting over again...

I have a company vehicle, and my new workplace is really unsuitable for biking to work, so no I don't use it for commuting. I also have found I don't enjoy cycling as much when it's a means of transportation for some other purpose. I like to just go cruising out in the middle of nowhere, for no reason whatsoever! :)

Oh, and recumbents alleviate any "plumbing" issues you might have with regular "wedgies" as well! :D

xpod
April 29th, 2007, 10:33 AM
...I did my time down south... too homesick in the end.

r u in London?

How d`ya guess??
Getting on for 8 years down here now
I was just back up visiting family in Edinburgh a few weeks ago and it does seem a wee bit easier returning nowadays than what it once was.

I`ll be back to stay one day but for now i just suffer in silence :)

v8YKxgHe
April 29th, 2007, 09:51 PM
I sure do ride, mostly Trials and street/dirtjump - here is a pic of my trials bike!

http://img108.imageshack.us/img108/7214/trialsbiketb0.th.jpg (http://img108.imageshack.us/my.php?image=trialsbiketb0.jpg)

BWF89
April 29th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I rode 18 miles today.

yabbadabbadont
April 29th, 2007, 10:39 PM
I rode 18 miles today.

Me too. My friend was the one driving... :lol:

oskie
April 29th, 2007, 10:59 PM
I plan to start biking to work this summer. I am not sure whether I should get a cheap used piece 'o crap or something with a bit more flair. I was in Amsterdam last year and fell in love with the looks of the traditional Dutch grandma bike but I am afraid these bikes are not for cycling in cities with hills. Luckily, bit by bit, North American cities are slowly becoming more bike friendly but we have a long way to go to catch up to the Dutch. As for the Scottish posters who are able to bike in the Scottish countryside, you don't know how much I envy you!

ahaslam
July 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I did the UK coast to coast at the weekend on my Rockhopper. It pissed it down half the time, my brakes wore down to the metal and we got lost adding some mileage. But hey, I wasn't at work so I couldn't have been happier ;)

stepan2
July 19th, 2007, 05:25 PM
i dont but i exercise 2 hours a day

whayong
July 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
I biked once upon a time. Well, something like 2 years ago now. Mostly on mountain trails. Did a few races. I used to commute via skateboard but have since moved quite a bit farther from work. I miss those days.....

ThinkBuntu
July 19th, 2007, 06:12 PM
I rode an Amsterdam Electra for a couple months, thinking it was a utility bike. In reality, it's an imitation utility cycle for $600: the chain would fall off on bumpy sidewalks! So I swapped it the other day for a Bianchi hybrid and man, is that thing a thrill to ride! Although I liked the feel of the old bike, this new one is just as good for getting around town. It's far better-built so I arrive at my destination with less sweat and more energy.

The new one's a Bianchi Boardwalk. Retails $500US, built in Taiwan (as if that matters). Very high-quality, highly recommended.

I don't bike for thrills very often, although I like to take night rides to use up that extra energy, and for all the other reasons people bike for reasons beyond transportation. However, most of my riding is just around-town transportation riding.

And I'm a dummy who doesn't wear a helmet :^)

RickR
July 19th, 2007, 06:22 PM
I ride everywhere. I get my license in a few months, but I expect I'll continue to ride after that.

I'm currently riding a Trek road bike. My beautiful Allegro (built by me with all campy gear) sits in the basement.

xl_cheese
July 19th, 2007, 06:53 PM
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i46/teamhammerhead/wescomfort.jpg

http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i46/teamhammerhead/comfort06b.jpg
http://i69.photobucket.com/albums/i46/teamhammerhead/comfort06f-1.jpg

Incense
July 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM
I ride my bike to work every work day. Way less stress then driving, I just wish Colorado was a little more flat at times. :)

regomodo
July 19th, 2007, 07:49 PM
I used to do a fair bit of XC racing when i was younger. Now i just freeride/northshore. More fun.

My whole family have been into cycling. Dad held 100mile record in the UK for while. My half-brothers used to be the UK cyclocross/road junior champions. One went to the USA (California) Olympics to represent the UK. He still races in the US and is apparently doing well in the XC Vets category. My half-nephew is very good and went to Denmark (i think) for the worlds Cyclocross this year. My little brother does a lot of XC and wins almost all of his races. I just got a handful of 2nd's and 3rd's. Did manage to get into the Grundig Cup in England when it came, 2years under age for the fun race. Knackering but fun. The pipeline at Newnham is immense.

My bike is Tomac jumpbike (forget the model name) with parts chosen by me. It's a well built frame but my favourite ride was my Specialized P3, that was until it got ran over by a motorbike, set on fire, and hit by a car (each a separate incident). That was an awesome bike. Would have bought the frame again if they were still making it.

ahaslam
September 15th, 2007, 08:56 AM
I'm doing a 100 mile ride for the British Heart Foundation tomorrow, from Lancaster to York. Anyone else here doing it? I'm getting ready to go now (got some traveling to do).

If anyone's interested, here's the route & my sponsorship page, should any of you feel charitable:

http://www.bikely.com/maps/bike-path/BHF-Lancaster-to-York-Ride-of-the-Roses
http://www.bhf.org.uk/my_sponsorship_page.aspx?p=87995

;)

Thyme
September 15th, 2007, 09:18 AM
I use my bike to do normal commuting and mountain biking. I'm using the following bike (it's the cheapest one of them all!):

http://www.hobithouse.co.za/__ArbStuff/reno.jpg

DirtDawg
September 15th, 2007, 09:19 AM
I love biking around town. Commuting and such. There's a huge biking community here (Portland, Oregon) so there's plenty of bike paths and co-ops which make biking even easier.

Right now I'm riding a trashy ten-speed from the eighties that's too small for me and has only a front brake, 'cause DirtDawg is DirtPoor.

Spike-X
September 15th, 2007, 09:47 AM
this is a classic: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DkC5xH3n6no

"Missed it, by...that much!"

GSF1200S
September 15th, 2007, 09:48 AM
I ride a bike.. its just propelled by a big motor ;)

Spike-X
September 15th, 2007, 09:54 AM
I would like to start riding again, but I'm not going to ride on the roads and it seems stupid to have to drive for 30 minutes just to be able to ride a bike.

It's worth it, though, when there's a really nice trail at the end of the 30 minute drive.

I used to go riding every weekend with friends out in the bush. We started out with two of us, riding up one side of the mountain and down the other. Then the group expanded, and one of us had a ute, so those of us who were old enough to drive would take turns driving everyone and their bikes up to the top, then we'd fly down again.

One time, I lost my front brake on the start of a run, and had to rely on just the rear. I didn't realise bike brakes could give off such a smell!

I've just got myself a new bike, a 2007 Norco Charger (Rock Shox Tora fork, Hayes hydraulic disc brakes, XTR rear derailleur). This being the first weekend of having a new bike, naturally I'm at home, sick with the flu! But soon, my pretty, soon...Bwahahahahaha!!!

ahaslam
September 17th, 2007, 06:18 AM
The ride of thr roses took me 6.5 hours, I'd never seen hills quite like it ;)
Now I can't sleep :(

curuxz
September 17th, 2007, 08:08 AM
I cycle to work and back each day, its 8 miles each way so thats 80 miles a week + recreational cyclin. So yeah I like to ride :D

Im lucky enough to work in the middle of the new forest so i get to cycle through our national park each day, which is really nice. Even when raining :)

lisati
September 17th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm Dutch ;)

I'm part Dutch, and used to have a 10-speed.

bikeboy
September 17th, 2007, 09:17 AM
BMX racing (not freestyle) is my method of choice. Been doing it for about 15 years, getting some nice injuries along the way. I don't ride much these days, but I'm quite involved in coaching, both grass roots and state team stuff (since I got my sports science degree).

The site in my signature has some photos I took if you go to the bottom and click next page.

anaconda
September 17th, 2007, 10:35 AM
Mountainbiking.. it is quite amazing in how difficult terrain it is possible to drive with a mtb

dizee
September 17th, 2007, 10:58 AM
I like cycling, I have a mountain bike but don't usually use it for off-road cycling (though the versatility of it is a big advantage). I just use it to get around my town, cycle to friends' houses, the train station etc etc. Only just got back into it after a few years, so the bike itself is quite old. It's a 15-speed but the gears are a bit messed up at the moment and I haven't quite figured out how to fix them. Also I disabled the front brake cos it was constantly squealing and mis-aligned, so it's a good laugh cycling down all the hills round here now ;)

Still it is a lot of fun, and very healthy, and so much faster than walking, I don't understand why more people don't cycle.

ynnhoj
September 17th, 2007, 12:05 PM
i ride my bike pretty well everywhere; to and from work, any other places i need to go around town, and i'll usually throw in a longer ride on the weekend if i have the time for it. i'm riding an old-ish nishiki 12-speed, which i'm thinking of turning into a bit of a project over the winter. i'll probably end up converting it to a fixed-gear, and change a few other parts -- also, the frame could use and new paint job..

Spike-X
September 17th, 2007, 12:48 PM
I don't understand why more people don't cycle.

Because they're lazy and stupid. They'd rather drive half a kilometre up the road to a gym and pay good money to ride a bike that doesn't go anywhere, walk on a treadmill that doesn't go anywhere, and climb stairs that - you guessed it - don't go anywhere.

gn2
September 17th, 2007, 01:17 PM
I used to ride 14 miles to work and 14 miles home every day when the Child Support Agency were taking 33% of my net earnings. The swines.

Still enjoy a ride round the forest trails where I live (Aberdeenshire UK)

My cycling hero:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Graeme_Obree

yuta
August 7th, 2008, 05:10 AM
I live in Jakarta, Indonesia...

The city is crowded like hell..

Second compared to Bangkok on South East Asia...

Bike to work everyday ?

No Problemo...

Kingsley
August 7th, 2008, 06:28 AM
I had to bike to most of my classes during my first semester of college. The bicycle only cost 50 bucks from Wal-Mart.

original_jamingrit
August 7th, 2008, 09:05 AM
I bike as a means of transportation. But I do like to go take it wandering around town on some weekends. Good stress reliever, as long as you have some vague idea of where you are.