PDA

View Full Version : Super Mario 64 announcer?

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2007, 07:14 PM
OK, right after you jump through a painting, before a level is about to start, the announcer says something that sounds like "nick pickle" something. What the heck is he saying?? To those who have no clue what I'm talking about, check this video out. You can hear what I'm talking about.

http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=6493722340610946105&q=mario+64

This has bothered me for years.

PatrickMay16
April 25th, 2007, 07:18 PM
"Let's a go".

Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2007, 07:37 PM
No, not what Mario says. There's some announcer on the white screen that says somethign.

Pobega
April 25th, 2007, 07:50 PM
No, not what Mario says. There's some announcer on the white screen that says somethign.

Isn't it just a chorus?

I don't have flash so I can't watch the video, so I'm working off memory.

Crashmaxx
April 25th, 2007, 07:56 PM
Sorry, but it is mario saying "nick pickle" at the white screen and he is actually saying "Let-sa-go!".

Mario just has a severe speech impediment, I guess.

Mazza558
April 25th, 2007, 08:01 PM
"Let's a go".

Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo! Yahoo!

At some points it was more like "Yayayayayayayahoo!"

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Really? It doesn't sound anything like the overly-stereotyped Italian, and it sounds nothing like "lets-a-go"
Weird.

raublekick
April 25th, 2007, 08:03 PM
The only voices on the white screen are Mario saying "Let's-a-go!" and a chrous singing the Mario theme in a "bah" voice.

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I just re-listened, and I guess if I really strain my sense of reality I can hear "letsa go"

Attached a wav just to make sure we're thinking about the same thing.

bastiegast
April 25th, 2007, 08:24 PM
I just re-listened, and I guess if I really strain my sense of reality I can hear "letsa go"

Attached a wav just to make sure we're thinking about the same thing.

That clearly sounds like letsa go to me, but I now hear what you mean, if you listen in some way it does sounds like nick pickle. Maybe time to buy some new speakers for your pc?

tbroderick
April 25th, 2007, 08:28 PM
Clearly "let's a go".

Pikestaff
April 25th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Yeah, it's Mario saying "Let's a go", unless there's something else I've missed...

TravisNewman
April 25th, 2007, 08:54 PM
Clearly "let's a go".

Clearly? I've asked at least 5 other people on varying speaker systems, without saying what *I* thought it sounded like, and they've all said something like "nick pickle" or "**** pickle" (one person even said lick nipple) or that they had no clue. Nobody ever said "lets a go."

But I do see how it could be now. Still really badly done, IMO.

Mazza558
April 25th, 2007, 08:58 PM
Clearly? I've asked at least 5 other people on varying speaker systems, without saying what *I* thought it sounded like, and they've all said something like "nick pickle" or "**** pickle" (one person even said lick nipple) or that they had no clue. Nobody ever said "lets a go."

But I do see how it could be now. Still really badly done, IMO.

It was, what, 1995....

That's quite a long time ago, and thankfully videogames have become much better since (though SM64 is one of my faves)

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 09:43 PM
is this a game i can download for linux? i'd like to get it if so, i miss the days of mario

tbroderick
April 25th, 2007, 09:52 PM

I listened to it once on my crappy SB Live 24bit sound card with some equally crappy speakers and it was clearly "lets a go".

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 10:00 PM
When I first heard it as a child I thought Mario said "hexagon", but then I realized it was "let's-a go" after a couple of levels.

matthew
April 25th, 2007, 11:10 PM

Attached a wav just to make sure we're thinking about the same thing.I have played this game since 1995 and all I have ever heard was "letsa go!" ...until today. The sound of the fading trumpet fanfare blends into the beginning of the "letsa" sound. I never really noticed it before, but it's pretty obvious now. For the rest of my life I will hear "Nick Pickle!"

n i c k p i c k l e
l e t s a g o

This ranks just below the Wizard of Oz and The Wall mashup...I'll never get it out of my head.

TravisNewman
April 26th, 2007, 05:15 PM
I have played this game since 1995 and all I have ever heard was "letsa go!" ...until today. The sound of the fading trumpet fanfare blends into the beginning of the "letsa" sound. I never really noticed it before, but it's pretty obvious now. For the rest of my life I will hear "Nick Pickle!"

n i c k p i c k l e
l e t s a g o

This ranks just below the Wizard of Oz and The Wall mashup...I'll never get it out of my head.
I'm glad I gave you a brainworm matthew :) I just think its weird that nobody I asked ever heard letsa go! Oh well, maybe it's where I live or something... hehe

You'll learn to love nick pickle. Just give it some time.

forrestcupp
April 26th, 2007, 07:44 PM
Well, you're not crazy. When I watched the video it really sounded like some noise then "pickle." But after what everyone said, I can see how it could be "let's a go" but interrupted by the other sounds. I'm sure the audio when you're actually playing the game is probably much clearer than the audio in this video, though.

Aranel
April 26th, 2007, 08:17 PM
It actually sounded to me like "Mex-ico" when I first heard it, but then I realized it was "Let's-a go" after a few times. "____ pickle" never entered my mind. The wrong syllable is accented, and that sounds much more like an "o" than an "l." :-s

Polygon
April 27th, 2007, 05:43 AM
i can kinda hear where you got pickle from but even when i played this game as a child i still thought it said "lets a go

steven8
April 27th, 2007, 07:09 AM
All I can say is, "Thank-a-you for-to playing my game!"

Ubunted
April 27th, 2007, 07:31 AM
I think you've all listened to it far too many times now.

I played this in 1996, and I play it to this day on my DS. It is, always has, and always will be, "Let's-a-Go!"

DirtDawg
September 25th, 2009, 01:47 AM
At the risk of being labeled a necromancer, my daughter has been playing this game and that voice has been mystifying me as well.

So I entered

super mario 64 '**** pickle'
into Google and this was the first result :lolflag: Beautiful.

And for the record, I cannot, no matter how hard I strain my ears, hear "let's a go." :D It doesn't even sound like Mario to me!

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 02:08 AM
It actually sounded to me like "Mex-ico" when I first heard it, but then I realized it was "Let's-a go" after a few times. "____ pickle" never entered my mind. The wrong syllable is accented, and that sounds much more like an "o" than an "l." :-s

Haha yeah definitely "Mex-ico!" hehe :)

But no, I always heard "Lets-a go!"

tjwoosta
September 25th, 2009, 02:42 AM
lol, I always thought it sounded like "that tickles". I guess it is "lets go"

purgatori
September 25th, 2009, 03:19 AM
Thanks for reminding me of this horrible game! It played a big part in putting the kybosh on my Nintendo fandom forever. Painful memories :(

All I hear in that video is "let's go", though.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:29 AM
Thanks for reminding me of this horrible game! It played a big part in putting the kybosh on my Nintendo fandom forever. Painful memories :(

All I hear in that video is "let's go", though.

Didn't you like this game? why?

And to be honest, I have always been much more into Sonic games :) Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are more my kind of thing :)

purgatori
September 25th, 2009, 03:33 AM
Didn't you like this game? why?

And to be honest, I have always been much more into Sonic games :) Sonic Adventure and Sonic Adventure 2 are more my kind of thing :)

I've never been a big fan of platform games, and I found that the transition to 3D made them even less enjoyable -- particularly in the way that level progression became contingent, not on getting from point A to point B and beating a boss, but rather collecting x amount of items.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:37 AM
I've never been a big fan of platform games, and I found that the transition to 3D made them even less enjoyable -- particularly in the way that level progression became contingent, not on getting from point A to point B and beating a boss, but rather collecting x amount of items.

Yeah true fair point :)

What Nintendo games do you like the most?

And maybe I'll make a separate thread about this ^_^

purgatori
September 25th, 2009, 03:42 AM
Yeah true fair point :)

What Nintendo games do you like the most?

And maybe I'll make a separate thread about this ^_^

I don't know... the only first-party Nintendo games I ever really liked were those belonging to the Zelda series, and even then, Zelda 64 put a stop to all of that for me. I liked quite a lot of third-party games on the Super Nintendo/NES though, like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania, Earthbound, Pocky and Rocky, Final Fight, etc. etc.

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:49 AM
I don't know... the only first-party Nintendo games I ever really liked were those belonging to the Zelda series, and even then, Zelda 64 put a stop to all of that for me. I liked quite a lot of third-party games on the Super Nintendo/NES though, like Secret of Mana, Chrono Trigger, Final Fantasy VI, Castlevania, Earthbound, Pocky and Rocky, Final Fight, etc. etc.

hehe strange that you weren't so keen on 3D Zelda - I absolutely LOVED Ocarina of Time! I completed it :)

On the whole I'm not too big into Nintendo, but the Wii can be pretty good fun :)

With Sega, I always feel like I'm spoilt for choice! hehe :)

teet
September 25th, 2009, 04:03 AM
I always thought he was saying "popsicle".

"lets-a-go" would make more sense I suppose.

-teet

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 04:11 AM
I always thought he was saying "popsicle".

"lets-a-go" would make more sense I suppose.

-teet

No no no, it's definitely "popsicle"! ^_^

purgatori
September 25th, 2009, 05:56 AM
hehe strange that you weren't so keen on 3D Zelda - I absolutely LOVED Ocarina of Time! I completed it :)

On the whole I'm not too big into Nintendo, but the Wii can be pretty good fun :)

With Sega, I always feel like I'm spoilt for choice! hehe :)

I completed it too, and while it definitely had its strong points, I just came away from it feeling disappointed. I felt that it was too short, not open enough, and I really resented having to play through the 'kid zelda' sections.

Yep, SEGA are awesome, but these days I'm all about the Xbox. Having gone off Japanese games almost completely, the PS3 and Wii just don't much in the way of games that I find compelling. The Wii, in particular, has nothing for me whatsoever. I had one in my house last year that belonged to my sister, and I played it for a grand total of 15mins, if that :P

hoppipolla
September 25th, 2009, 03:39 PM
I completed it too, and while it definitely had its strong points, I just came away from it feeling disappointed. I felt that it was too short, not open enough, and I really resented having to play through the 'kid zelda' sections.

Yep, SEGA are awesome, but these days I'm all about the Xbox. Having gone off Japanese games almost completely, the PS3 and Wii just don't much in the way of games that I find compelling. The Wii, in particular, has nothing for me whatsoever. I had one in my house last year that belonged to my sister, and I played it for a grand total of 15mins, if that :P

hehe noooo but! The Conduit! and Sonic! lol :)

I don't blame you though, I'm all about the 360 too, even if I hated the Xbox at first! It just has such a strong line-up of games, and the Live service is fantastic :)