PDA

View Full Version : Am I the only one who doesn't really notice any differences in 7.04?

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 06:41 PM
For all the hype Feisty Fawn has been getting, I can barely even tell I upgraded

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 06:43 PM
For all the hype Feisty Fawn has been getting, I can barely even tell I've upgraded.

Cypher
April 25th, 2007, 06:44 PM
I think some would consider that an advantage as you wouldn't have to learn a new system, with new arrangements of the same thing.

However, all of the applications should be updated to the latest versions and that's where you'll like see any clear difference as compared to the previous versions of Ubuntu.

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 06:46 PM
true, i guess i didn't think about it that way

hopefully when i update it on my laptop i will have wireless support now

canadianwriterman
April 25th, 2007, 06:52 PM
I think most of the differences are for people new to Ubuntu. Things like the network manager, codec installation wizards, restricted driver availability built in, and semi-desktop effects built in are all new with Feisty. However, if you've already installed codecs, for example, in your previous install of Ubuntu, and then just upgraded, you're right... there doesn't seem to be much difference.

BarfBag
April 25th, 2007, 07:34 PM
The only thing I've noticed is much more stability.

beathan
April 25th, 2007, 07:39 PM
I've not noticed a ton of changes, but what changes I do see are fundamental to my experience. My HP dv6000t laptop had broken sound, no suspend, wireless was a bit flaky. Mic jack didn't work, no headphones, no external mic, ect. I installed Feisty last Friday - all worked flawlessly out of the box. I don't have to shut my laptop off everytime I go somewhere. It's beautiful.

I've used Ubuntu exclusively for over a year, now, and Feisty made me feel like the kid in the candy shop all over again.:guitar:

Somenoob
April 25th, 2007, 07:42 PM
It's less buggy and a far better network-manager for wi-fi

gashcr
April 25th, 2007, 07:47 PM
yep, I think you were the only one... I've seen many nice improvements too, more stability, more support... even some little details, as this little notification that appears when I umount the Ipod and tells me it is Ok to unplug it... well, It wasn´t there in edgy... It a foolness, but it's new, jaja

darkhatter
April 25th, 2007, 07:52 PM
there is a lot of changes with kubuntu but ubuntu is pretty much the same.

Teg_Navanis
April 25th, 2007, 08:06 PM
The new network manager was by far the most important change for me, as I can now easily connect to various wireless networks.

ubuntu27
April 25th, 2007, 08:12 PM
there is a lot of changes with kubuntu but ubuntu is pretty much the same.

Lots of changes in KUBUNTU? What kind of changes did you see?

It is just that I've read in many places saying that the development is concentrated in Ubuntu than Kubuntu (which it is true I believe) AND that Kubuntu has FEW new features in this new version.

So, what are the changes, what's new in Kubuntu Feisty?

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 08:16 PM
I never really had any issues with stability in edgy other than Amarok occasionally crashing...I'll keep an eye on it to see if this has been fixed.

I did notice then when I put my mouse cursor on Amarok it is now a hand with a finger pointed rather than the standard mouse cursor.

Other than that I think the only other "change" I've noticed is that when Ubuntu initially loads up the icon is now a clock ticking other than whatever it was before.

I'm pleased with Ubuntu, so this isn't a thread to rag on it, I just didn't notice much of a change.

However, that may be because my system was already setup as somebody already pointed out earlier.

Lord Illidan
April 25th, 2007, 08:17 PM
Please note that the changes might not be visual changes - as in changes which require the least time and attention, like changing wallpaper or a theme, but may be internal changes which improve stability, etc. Or it could be a change as in including more languages, which might mean nothing to English speakers but a lot to others.

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 08:21 PM
I like feisty more than I used to like edgy :)

qamelian
April 25th, 2007, 08:27 PM
I've noticed quite a bit of a difference. For one thing, the sound on my laptop work correctly now for the first time since Breezy Badger. In both Dapper and Edgy, I frequently had to killall esd before using any sound applications and some still wouldn't work. I used to also have a mysterious problem with most python apps going absolutely berserk and driving my CPU to 100%, also on both Dapper and Edgy, but that problem has also vanished.

There are some great newbie features like the notification that you need a specific codec and Ubuntu offering to download and install it for you. It looks like it also does this if you double-click a document file without an appropriate app installed. I did this a couple nights ago and was prompted to download and install a program that could open the document.

Add to that a noticeable increase in speed and stability on both my laptop and desktop and you can colour me one happy user!

ssam
April 25th, 2007, 08:39 PM
Feisty feature of the day (http://philbull.livejournal.com/34930.html) has a list of 42 new features.

EerFoolWVU
April 25th, 2007, 08:52 PM
great webpage, now i'm starting to notice more changes

thanks for the link

Mateo
April 25th, 2007, 08:56 PM
Yeah, the most noticeable difference was the completely annoying internet tray icon.

mstlyevil
April 25th, 2007, 09:00 PM
On AMD64 you have better 32 bit support along with better multimedia support. The only thing not working in 64 bit Firefox is sun-java. Installing 32 bit Swiftfox solved that problem for me.

I also noticed it has improved stability and speed. Boot times have been cut in half on my hardware and even 32 bit software works faster.

tubunu
April 25th, 2007, 09:17 PM
A couple of bug fixes, i.e. power saving is now working properly plus you get latest versions of applications like someone else before me has pointed that out. I use KDE and I see a lot of improvements even over Edgy. I didn't even have to bother with installing the right codecs to play multimedia, everything runs nice and smooth! Thumbs up for Feisty! :)

doobit
April 25th, 2007, 09:36 PM
I've also noticed that the live CD runs faster than Edgy does installed. I might not even need to install!
(just kidding. I will install.)

dspari1
April 25th, 2007, 09:45 PM
For all the hype Feisty Fawn has been getting, I can barely even tell I upgraded

Knowing that the development cycle is every 6 months, what did you expect? If you only want to see larger leeps when upgrading, stick with the LTS version and upgrade every 3 years instead.

I'm the kind of person that wants to stay with the trends at all times at the cost of only having small incremental changes at a time. I'm expecting Compiz+Beryl merger to be included in the next version of Ubuntu, so if you haven't been experimenting with beta software, you'll see a huge leap next time(knock on wood).

darkhatter
April 25th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Lots of changes in KUBUNTU? What kind of changes did you see?

It is just that I've read in many places saying that the development is concentrated in Ubuntu than Kubuntu (which it is true I believe) AND that Kubuntu has FEW new features in this new version.

So, what are the changes, what's new in Kubuntu Feisty?

by changes I mean looks. They have a new splash screen, new wallpaper, and they rearranged some icons, I haven't used kubuntu in a while so maybe they aren't changes

jrusso2
April 25th, 2007, 11:20 PM
I think most of the differences are for people new to Ubuntu. Things like the network manager, codec installation wizards, restricted driver availability built in, and semi-desktop effects built in are all new with Feisty. However, if you've already installed codecs, for example, in your previous install of Ubuntu, and then just upgraded, you're right... there doesn't seem to be much difference.

Codec installation wizard? Where is that I don't see it. I see restricted driver but not codecs.

ArtInvent
April 26th, 2007, 11:35 PM
I think if you're a new user, then of course get the latest Feisty. But if you've got something that works, why rush to replace it. I'm probably sticking with Edgy for a while. Why?

One, it works. Everything works. I guess if my sound card didn't work or something, then yeah, I would try and upgrade.

Two, I upgraded my old laptop (not my main machine) to Feisty from Edgy, and it worked pretty well. However, the wireless card is still not recognized, and sleep and hibernation still don't work either. Just can't really tell the difference, other than the splash screen. Does it boot faster? Okay, uh, maybe.

Three, most of the improvements of new releases seem to be to installation and improving hardware recognition and the new user experience. Migrating from Windows tool, for instance. Not something a previous user really cares about.

Four, last time I upgraded, from Dapper, things broke. It was a pain and I pretty much ended up trashing the whole install and reformatting the drive. I have a LOT of apps, some of them are compiled from source, some of them from third party repos, some are beta builds. I have a highly customized xorg.conf file, theme, menus, etc. Lots of tweaks to get the system where I want it. With a system upgrade, it seems highly likely that I will have to spend significant time just getting back to where I am now. This is what happened last time.

So this is why a lot of people who have been through a few Ubuntu upgrade cycles aren't totally psyched about upgrading. And why you see the more circumspect folks recommending a fresh install from scratch rather than an upgrade. Or just sticking with one version that works or the LTS version.

The main drag of not switching is that I do like cutting edge apps. The OS, as long as it works, is secondary, but the apps are developing fast and a lot of times I want to have that latest feature in Firefox, in Blender, in OpenOffice, Inkscape, what have you. Why is OOo 2.2 only available for Feisty and not Edgy? Most of these latest apps would work just fine in Edgy.

I also get a little frustrated that it may take months between an app announcing a new version, and the Ubuntu package being available in the repo. For instance Blender 2.43 is a sweet upgrade over 2.42. It's been out for a few months and still the Edgy repo is stuck on 2.42. What is so bizarre about this is that Blender has basically no dependency issues, and doesn't require a specific binary build - just unpack the tar into a directory and run the program! So there's not much excuse for not just putting the thing into a repo unless I'm missing something. Sadly, most apps are not like this and compiling and hunting down dependencies manually is what you get to do, losing all the greatness of Synaptics.

Personally, I feel Synaptics is the best thing about Ubuntu, and yet it needs some work. In short, I think Ubuntu developers and community should be putting a little more time into keeping the repos stocked and up to date, for all releases, not just Feisty. If there's concern about putting a cutting edge build into the repo and having it not work for someone, it would be great to have a feature of Synaptics where you could restore to a previous version of an app or just choose from among different earlier versions or development beta versions, and maybe opt to have more than one version of an app resident at the same time.

Kingsley
April 27th, 2007, 12:29 AM
My right alt, ctrl, and win keys are recognized.

gpowell88
April 27th, 2007, 12:36 AM
I've used Ubuntu since 6.06 LTS (however, not on my main machine - I have always had a dedicated linux machine. However, it has ALWAYS been a pain for me to try and get drivers, codecs, etc, etc, for the previous versions of Ubuntu.
THAT has been the main difference for me. After upgrading my dedicated box, configuration was relatively painless - so much so, that I decided to take the plunge and upgrade my main computer (a laptop) - and I have to say that I'm very pleased with Feisty, more so than any other version.
So, with that said... if Feisty is this good, then I want Gutsy that much more.