hi :) last.fm?

plb
April 25th, 2007, 03:22 PM
heh, never would have guessed you to be a fan :lolflag:

maniacmusician
April 25th, 2007, 03:35 PM
heh, never would have guessed you to be a fan :lolflag:
pfft...well...they're alright ;)

are you a nirvana fan? do have a last.fm profile? I just revived mine last week, so I have no friends :) its in my sig.

Brunellus
April 25th, 2007, 03:46 PM
semi-OT. I've started to learn "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the piano, and have concluded that there is no other way to play it than the way Tori Amos does it.

Try it out one of these days. F, Bb, Ab, C#.

I'm gonna have to try this out for "Heart Shaped Box" soon.

jkwarras
April 25th, 2007, 03:47 PM
Me :guitar:

http://www.lastfm.es/user/jkwarras

Tomosaur
April 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
I like Nirvana, but I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to. I do have a last.fm account though, but I haven't used it much. My profile page is a bit misleading - it lists foo fighters and nirvana as my favourites - but it just happens because the genres of music i listen to most feature a lot of foo fighters and nirvana!

http://www.last.fm/user/Tomosaur/

Feel free to add me as a friend.

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 04:00 PM
here's one (me!!!:D)

red_Marvin
April 25th, 2007, 05:55 PM
I'm more a 'songs' than a 'band' kind of guy, with that said I really like "Smells Like Teen Spirit" and "Come as You Are"

maniacmusician
April 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
semi-OT. I've started to learn "Smells Like Teen Spirit" on the piano, and have concluded that there is no other way to play it than the way Tori Amos does it.

Try it out one of these days. F, Bb, Ab, C#.

I'm gonna have to try this out for "Heart Shaped Box" soon.
I have to say that Teen Spirit is just about the most overrated song there is :) It's an exciting song and gets you going, but it is sooooooo tiresome after a while. Now with that out of the way, I completely agree with you; Tori Amos's version was pretty good. I love listening to that. I have a lot of her other stuff too, and listen to it selectively...but I digress, this is a nirvana thread :)

I like Nirvana, but I don't listen to them nearly as much as I used to. I do have a last.fm account though, but I haven't used it much. My profile page is a bit misleading - it lists foo fighters and nirvana as my favourites - but it just happens because the genres of music i listen to most feature a lot of foo fighters and nirvana!

http://www.last.fm/user/Tomosaur/

Feel free to add me as a friend.

I feel the same way as you. I like Nirvana but I don't listen to them as much as I used to either (and that was a lot). Now, I usually just load my entire library into one playlist on Amarok and set it to "random CD's" and "repeat playlist", so I get to listen to entire CD's of stuff and it still mixes it up once in a while; so I usually only listen to stuff whenever it plays. I don't really get urges to listen to anything in particular anymore. I will add you as a friend though :) Why don't you use last.fm? It doesn't really take much work or anything. I ask purely out of curiosity.

And by the way, my last.fm profile is in my signature, so anyone, please feel free to add me.

zubrug
April 25th, 2007, 06:30 PM
+1

Tomosaur
April 25th, 2007, 07:10 PM
I have to say that Teen Spirit is just about the most overrated song there is :) It's an exciting song and gets you going, but it is sooooooo tiresome after a while. Now with that out of the way, I completely agree with you; Tori Amos's version was pretty good. I love listening to that. I have a lot of her other stuff too, and listen to it selectively...but I digress, this is a nirvana thread :)

I feel the same way as you. I like Nirvana but I don't listen to them as much as I used to either (and that was a lot). Now, I usually just load my entire library into one playlist on Amarok and set it to "random CD's" and "repeat playlist", so I get to listen to entire CD's of stuff and it still mixes it up once in a while; so I usually only listen to stuff whenever it plays. I don't really get urges to listen to anything in particular anymore. I will add you as a friend though :) Why don't you use last.fm? It doesn't really take much work or anything. I ask purely out of curiosity.

And by the way, my last.fm profile is in my signature, so anyone, please feel free to add me.

I tend to do a lot of work when I'm using the computer, and if I have music on I get very distracted and tend to do music related things rather than whatever it is I'm supposed to be doing! I have an mp3 player with my whole collection on so when I listen to music I use that or the radio or my housemate's collection (similar tastes!). However, now that work is easing off a bit I can spend more time just doing what I feel like, so I expect I'll be using it more and more often in the future.

It's something that annoys me though - I find some really cool things on the internet, and some sites (like Last.fm and Jamendo) which really grab my interest, but I just don't have the time to use them as much as I'd like to.

andrek
April 25th, 2007, 07:12 PM
+1,
http://www.lastfm.com/user/mr-andrek/

diskotek
April 25th, 2007, 10:05 PM
heart shaped box, polly, lithium, come as you are, rape me, the man who sold the world,...

by the way, i like their newly released track: you know, you're right

note: i'm not a nirvana fan, i respect them so much..

darkhatter
April 25th, 2007, 10:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38

I like "Smells Like Nirvana" by weird Al, does that count? :)

super breadfish
April 25th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I'm listening to the box set as I type this. Great band, one of my favourites. It''s just a shame I'll never see them live....RIP Kurt.

mips
April 25th, 2007, 10:38 PM
I used to love Nirvana, got the live unplugged in NY cd. Somehow though they have aged for me.

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 03:31 AM
It's something that annoys me though - I find some really cool things on the internet, and some sites (like Last.fm and Jamendo) which really grab my interest, but I just don't have the time to use them as much as I'd like to.
Yeah it really is a bummer when you can't take advantage of some of these innovative technologies...I think it's possible to fit them into your everyday schedule, you just need to find the right way to make it part of your lifestyle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ixyTNd-Ln38

I like "Smells Like Nirvana" by weird Al, does that count? :)

:D now there's some quality stuff. That was probably one of Al's best parodies. some of his other ones are really bad lol (but of course he has other good ones too)

slimdog360
April 26th, 2007, 03:38 AM
yeah, I've been a Nirvana fan for years. I love that 'new' song form the album which was released a couple of years ago, 'you know your right'. Heart shaped box, another one which I don't know if I'm allowed to post the name of, 'ra** me', are also great.

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 04:08 AM
yeah, I've been a Nirvana fan for years. I love that 'new' song form the album which was released a couple of years ago, 'you know your right'. Heart shaped box, another one which I don't know if I'm allowed to post the name of, 'ra** me', are also great.
yeah, those are all great songs. Also, I don't think rape is a taboo word, so yeah, rape me is a great song, especially some earlier versions of it (instead of the one that's on In Utero)

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 04:08 AM
Alright, I feel like a huge geek posting this, but I have a cute little thing in my collection that I thought some forum members might enjoy :) Up until a couple of years ago, I used to be a huge fan of Nirvana. So much so, that I have a considerable number of their live shows on CD/DVD, etc. These aren't just bootlegs sold in stores, but edits, masters, and restorations of live recordings that were done by collectors and enthusiasts and distributed online.

However, more than any of those things, what I'm about to post here is probably the most prized thing in my collection. It's cute, it's funny, it's adorable; It's recordings of Kurt when he was around 3 years old!

They're audio clips, but it's him having fun with his Aunt Mari....as in Mari Fradenburg, his aunt from his mother's side of the family, who was quite young (she was in high school, I believe, when he was born). She's since gotten married, and I think she's now Mari (Fradenburg) Earl. But anyways, this is four tracks of pure cuteness.

Also, I'm sorry about having to use megaupload, and some of the crappy adverts on that page...they're the only reliable file hosting service that I know of. After clicking on the link, just enter the 3 letter "captcha" code (near the top right of the screen), click on download, wait 25 seconds, and then download it. Enjoy.

Recorded November, 1969, when he was 2.75 years old (his birthday is in february).

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=AFU8YI71

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 01:30 PM
+1,
http://www.lastfm.com/user/mr-andrek/
I added you as a friend on last.fm!

crimesaucer
April 26th, 2007, 11:08 PM
Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, the Pixies, Sonic Youth....and so many more with similar sounds.

I listen to so many different styles of music, but I loved those bands back then, and still listen to them a lot.

I've been listening to the Box set a lot, and Disc 2's "D-7"..... and Disc 3's "Milk It" and "Moist Va****" have been some of my favorites.

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 03:33 AM
Nirvana, Dinosaur Jr, the Pixies, Sonic Youth....and so many more with similar sounds.

I listen to so many different styles of music, but I loved those bands back then, and still listen to them a lot.

I've been listening to the Box set a lot, and Disc 2's "D-7"..... and Disc 3's "Milk It" and "Moist Va****" have been some of my favorites.
yeah those are undoubtably good. I thought the Do Re Mi was interesting as well. I liked a lot of stuff from that set, even though I actually had most of the material before it came out on the CD. For instance, White Lace & Strange, Token Eastern, Even in his youth, Verse Chorus Verse, opinion, sappy, I Hate Myself and....,

Most of Disc 3 was really good stuff, from in and around the In Utero time period

Also, Sonic Youth, yeah they're great! The Pixies are also fabulous. I could never properly appreciate Dinosaur, though.

crimesaucer
April 27th, 2007, 04:16 AM
Dinosaur Jr "You're Living All Over Me" and the original Dinosaur "Dinosaur" as well as "Green mind" did it for me. I've been a fan since 1990.

I had some of the Nirvana b side stuff that's in the box set from my Incesticide CD, but a lot was new to me.

And yes, Token Eastern, and Even in his youth are so good, they're a few of my favorites too. As is the rest of the box set. And the DVD, and anything they did.

I wish I had seen them live. I almost did. I missed them by a few months.

I first heard Bleach in the spring of 1989, I liked it but didn't realize it would be one of my favorite albums of all time.

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 05:31 AM
yeah, it's good stuff....did you see my first post at the top of this page (#21)? I thought that was kind of cool as well.

But I don't listen to Nirvana as much as I used to in the past. I still know a lot about them and have all of their released stuff, and a lot more, but I don't have much of a focus on any band or genre right now. I enjoy listening to a broader spectrum of music.

crimesaucer
April 27th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Yeah I saw that post, I might check the Kurt Cobain vid later, thanks.

I also listen to a very eclectic mix of music, ranging form the Jazz greats, to Indie- Hip Hop, punk, Turntablism, house, jungle, Funk, and basically whatever sounds cool.

I've really been into the Beatles' last albums recently, like songs like "Don't Let Me Down" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

I also have been into Art Blakey lately.

jkwarras
April 27th, 2007, 08:51 AM
I've discovered lately (via last.fm) Silversun Pickups (http://myspace.com/silversunpickups). As a Nirvana-fan-almost-30-grunge-90-child I recommend you this band. It's like the Smashing Pumpkins molested by Sonic Youth.

Back to Nirvana, I agree with everyone here, as time goes by, you listen less and less to your favorite bands, and Nirvana is on top on my list. I use to listen to them more often that I though, seeing my lastfm statistics :)

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 03:41 PM
Yeah I saw that post, I might check the Kurt Cobain vid later, thanks.

I also listen to a very eclectic mix of music, ranging form the Jazz greats, to Indie- Hip Hop, punk, Turntablism, house, jungle, Funk, and basically whatever sounds cool.

I've really been into the Beatles' last albums recently, like songs like "Don't Let Me Down" and "I Want You (She's So Heavy)".

I also have been into Art Blakey lately.
Art Blakey is great! Good to hear you have such a broad range of tastes too, and good ones :) I've actually never heard any "Jungle," I don't think that I even know what it is...I'll be looking that up.

The Beatles are actually fabulous as well. I usually don't listen to anything "pop" because it bored me a lot, but I really like the Beatles, including their later stuff.

Also, that wasn't a video in my post, just 4 audio tracks :)

I've discovered lately (via last.fm) Silversun Pickups (http://myspace.com/silversunpickups). As a Nirvana-fan-almost-30-grunge-90-child I recommend you this band. It's like the Smashing Pumpkins molested by Sonic Youth.

Back to Nirvana, I agree with everyone here, as time goes by, you listen less and less to your favorite bands, and Nirvana is on top on my list. I use to listen to them more often that I though, seeing my lastfm statistics :)

Thanks for the recommendation, I'll check them out. And I agree, It's kind of sad how we listen to our favorite bands less and less as time goes by, but it's okay if we at least keep discovering new things to listen to.

edit: you have a last.fm page?

crimesaucer
April 27th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Oopps...sorry...I see where it says "audio clips" now. I don't know why I was thinking "Kurt-Cobain-home-movies", my bad.

As for junglest djs, all I can say is if you like the way Art Blakey drums, and if you like dub reggae music, hip hop and funky breaks, then you might like jungle music. In fact, you would probably like my favorite, "DJ SPOOKY that subliminal kid". DJ SPOOKY has done some really cool mixes using guitar tracks from Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth.

DJ SPOOKY also uses a lot of rare jazz and dub like artists like Sun Ra and Lee "Scratch" Perry, and newer jazz artists like Matthew Shipp.

jkwarras
April 27th, 2007, 05:07 PM
edit: you have a last.fm page?
Yep. http://www.lastfm.es/user/jkwarras

maniacmusician
April 27th, 2007, 09:37 PM
Oopps...sorry...I see where it says "audio clips" now. I don't know why I was thinking "Kurt-Cobain-home-movies", my bad.
Probably because there really are some kurt cobain home movies...he tried to create horror movies when he was a teenager with some of his friends. They turned out pretty badly :)

As for junglest djs, all I can say is if you like the way Art Blakey drums, and if you like dub reggae music, hip hop and funky breaks, then you might like jungle music. In fact, you would probably like my favorite, "DJ SPOOKY that subliminal kid". DJ SPOOKY has done some really cool mixes using guitar tracks from Thurston Moore of Sonic Youth.

DJ SPOOKY also uses a lot of rare jazz and dub like artists like Sun Ra and Lee "Scratch" Perry, and newer jazz artists like Matthew Shipp.
Okay, cool, I'll check out DJ SPOOKY, then. New music is awesome. Thanks!

Yep. http://www.lastfm.es/user/jkwarras
Cool, thanks.

heh the only active people in this thread are crimesaucer and myself :) No other Nirvana fans?

ashmew2
April 28th, 2007, 07:26 PM
"Smells Like Teen Spirit " , "All Apologies" , "Rape me".....The best ever nirvana songs@!!!
R.I.P. Kurt!!!

maniacmusician
April 29th, 2007, 07:37 PM
I got some DJ SPOOKY to listen to. It's really good stuff! Thanks for the recommendation, crimesaucer!

Next up, Silversun Pickups :)

crimesaucer
April 29th, 2007, 11:57 PM
No problem.

If you want to hear the CD with Thurston Moore form Sonic Youth, then check this one out: http://www.amazon.com/DJ-Spooky-Influence-Various-Artists/dp/samples/B00005O7TW/ref=dp_tracks_all_1/103-1376919-4191846#disc_1

It's song 25. The whole album is really good.

dolny
April 30th, 2007, 08:07 AM
The band that got me into music. I love them. Always gonna remember and listen to them from time to time :)

I had a website about the band, then created a vortal about Seattle music (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, TAD, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Green River etc.)

www.seattle-sound.com if anybody's interested (the MySQL is dead atm - the admins need to fix it).

jkwarras
May 1st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hope you like it :)

maniacmusician
May 6th, 2007, 01:15 AM
The band that got me into music. I love them. Always gonna remember and listen to them from time to time :)

I had a website about the band, then created a vortal about Seattle music (Pearl Jam, Alice in Chains, TAD, Mudhoney, Nirvana, Green River etc.)

www.seattle-sound.com if anybody's interested (the MySQL is dead atm - the admins need to fix it).
Very cool! That's an awesome site. My musical tastes aren't restricted to grunge/seattle sound and stuff like that. They're actually very wide. I can listen to practically anything. But I have to say that some of this stuff really gets me going.

jkwarras; I totally forgot about them! I'm downloading their new CD right now. If I like it, I'll definitely be buying it. I may be a pirate, but I've got principles :) Thanks for the suggestion, I'll post back once I've had a good listen.

The reason that I decided to post in this thread was because I'm listening to Bleach right now. It popped up in my playlist and got me a little excited. I'm on Negative Creep right now (track 7), and I have to say, even though this album is of less musicianship than the rest, it really gets my blood flowing. I'm loving it. Most of my collection is not this energetic or loud at all.

Good stuff. I'll bask in this for a while....

edit: my favorite tracks off of this CD are probably Swap Meet, Sifting, Floyd the Barber, and About a Girl. Other good ones; Blew, School, Love Buzz. Paper Cuts, Negative Creep, Mr. Moustache, Big Cheese.

I guess the only ones on the CD that I don't really like are Scoff and Downer :) Although Downer is alright. Just not great.

bionnaki
May 6th, 2007, 02:01 AM
http://www.justiceforkurt.com/

blackspyder
May 6th, 2007, 02:19 AM
Nirvana is awesome. Just joined last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/blackspyder/

maniacmusician
May 6th, 2007, 02:22 AM
http://www.justiceforkurt.com/
lol. Please don't make this thread about that. Though I doubt anyone here knows enough about it to argue about it. Anyways, this isn't the place. This is about the band Nirvana, their career, their songs, their sound.

Nirvana is awesome. Just joined last.fm http://www.last.fm/user/blackspyder/
Cool. Feel free to add me sometime if you feel that we have similar enough musical tastes.

jpkotta
May 6th, 2007, 07:04 AM
I really like Nirvana. My friends and I had all sorts of unofficial things like Outcesticide(s) and Fecal Matter, etc. And I got into other great bands like the Melvins and the Wipers because of their connection to and being covered by Nirvana.

maniacmusician
May 7th, 2007, 02:41 AM
Hope you like it :)
yeah, they were quite good. I only had one listen, but I'm sure I'll listen to them more later.

crimesaucer
May 7th, 2007, 03:31 AM
I got some DJ SPOOKY to listen to. It's really good stuff! Thanks for the recommendation, crimesaucer!

Hey, I thought I would share my radio.blog with you before my web hosting expires in a few days. Song #2 and #5 are from a mix tape that SPOOKY put out.

Never mind the corny links to my chef resume, or StumbleUpon/MySpace pages, I had made this as a practice of html and css, and never really finished it or used it.

But besides all of that, it's a radio.blog featuring a few of the artists that I've been into recently:

http://practicepage.100webcustomers.com/

bionnaki
May 7th, 2007, 06:27 AM
I saw Nirvana during their last american tour in '93.

jkwarras
May 7th, 2007, 08:36 AM
That makes me jealous... 8-)

I almost went to their concert in Brussels, but got sold out before I could get a ticket and then Kurt committed suicide.

maniacmusician
May 21st, 2007, 11:57 AM
that's pretty lucky.

that was their last good tour. I have most of the shows from 93/94, and I have to say, that the European leg of the tour was ******* awful.

Anyways, just posting to say that I love Beeswax from Incesticide. If you know the lyrics (the real ones), it's pretty funny.

KillMyBrain
September 12th, 2007, 04:30 AM
I'm in love with their music.

I've got seven of their albums. ;p

nonewmsgs
September 12th, 2007, 04:37 AM
maniac it's nice to know that someone else loves the late beatles, but i generally albeit silently agree with you a lot in these forums, so it shouldn't surprise me too much.

i was actually listening to nirvana at work for most of the day today. i definitely prefer their slightly less radio friendly songs.