PDA

View Full Version : Thoughts on Leopard

the.dark.lord
April 25th, 2007, 02:48 PM
Hey, I just read that Leopard is delayed until October. I'd like to hear your thoughts the OS.

Alfa989
April 25th, 2007, 09:23 PM
I thinks it'll be a great OS, and probably it's going to be the best OS out there when it launches... :)

3rdalbum
April 28th, 2007, 01:50 PM
Leopard delayed until October: Either there are critical bugs being worked out, or Apple is implementing HDCP. For the sake of computing freedom, let's hope it's the former!

the.dark.lord
April 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
I thinks it'll be a great OS, and probably it's going to be the best OS out there when it launches... :)

If that's what you think, then you're badly deluded.

Here's a list of Leopard features:

Time Machine: It might help, if you keep deleting things like a madman.

Spaces: Ubuntu has a feature like this for a long time (Workspaces).

Improvements to Spotlight, Mail, Dashboard, iCal etc.: Gimme a break, this should be an upgrade, not an OS feature.

You better hope the secret features are good. Right now, Leopard isn't worth $5.

the.dark.lord
April 30th, 2007, 02:50 AM
Leopard delayed until October: Either there are critical bugs being worked out, or Apple is implementing HDCP. For the sake of computing freedom, let's hope it's the former!

Amen.
And let's also hope Apple's banner at WWDC 06 saying 'Mac OS X: Introducing Vista 2.0' is true too.

Chrisj303
April 30th, 2007, 03:24 PM
I installed the latest developers Beta, 9a410 a week or so ago. Much more stable than previous betas, and had a much more uniform, intergrated feel. Time Machine was present and seemed to function fine.

I don't think Leopard is going to be all that different to Tiger - just more refined all over.

Lets face it, it's an already excellent OS. Just a couple new big features and a general tidy up, is all (IMO) it needs.

Chrisj303
April 30th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Amen.
And let's also hope Apple's banner at WWDC 06 saying 'Mac OS X: Introducing Vista 2.0' is true too.

Spoken like a true fanboy, well done.

ThinkBuntu
April 30th, 2007, 03:53 PM
I will not upgrade to Leopard. Seriously, what's the draw? I'll gladly wait for something with significant improvements. I, being a Mac Geek, was at an Apple store watching the keynote in July 02 and remember thinking "wow, now that's going to be a very useful upgrade!"

* iChat
* Quicktime 6 upgrade
* Rendezvous! Huge feature!
* Address Book (eh...never used it)
* Search bar in Finder windows and spring-loaded folders
* Sherlock 3 (eh...never used the App much)
* iSync
* A whole bunch of other i* apps

Jaguar and Panther were both very useful upgrades. Tiger was necessary for Intel users. But Leopard? I'll pass.

Churnd
April 30th, 2007, 04:04 PM
I"ve heard quite a few rumors they delayed it so it wouldn't take away from the iPhone hype. I'll probably get it free at work, but I won't buy it.

nphx
April 30th, 2007, 04:11 PM
I'm not a Mac user, but I agree that they have a nifty OS. I was just wondering how much does an upgrade go for, I mean with the basic features it has updated doesn't seem like a worthy purchase.

ThinkBuntu
April 30th, 2007, 04:20 PM
As far as an OS you pay for, Mac is by far the best. The Linux ones are great too, but I would never pay for one (with so many great free choices). An upgrade is usually $129, I believe, but it's been a couple years since I bought an upgrade (Tiger came with my MacBook) so I can't be sure. When the original OSX was released, I think it was $299.

Also, OS X is unbelievably stable, and very well-optimized for Apple hardware. OS X boots in about ten to fifteen seconds (including auto-login) on my MacBook, whereas Ubuntu took at least thirty total. I ran OS X from 2001 to 2006 on a desktop and it never crashed, with one exception. iTunes had a couple bugs around '04 that froze up my system (unless I was patient enough to let it resolve itself for a few minutes). This bug is gone now.

Sunnz
April 30th, 2007, 05:09 PM
I am looking forward for its fully 64-bit support and more UNIX like than ever.

I mean, it is gotta to have fully native, 64-bit codecs?

nphx
May 3rd, 2007, 01:15 PM
I've always wanted to try OSX. I was thinking of purchasing a MacBook but with Dell soon releasing Ubuntu notebooks, I won't be getting a Mac.

the.dark.lord
May 3rd, 2007, 02:06 PM
I've always wanted to try OSX. I was thinking of purchasing a MacBook but with Dell soon releasing Ubuntu notebooks, I won't be getting a Mac.

If you want to run Ubuntu, don't ever get a Mac. I have had a very nasty time trying to install Ubuntu on my iMac. And Vista is better than OS X.

Alfa989
May 3rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
And Vista is better than OS X.

Yeah, sure... And it's better than Linux too, and pigs fly, and Linus Torvalds killed my mom... :lolflag:
No, seriously, have you smoked something illegal lately? http://www.greensmilies.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/smiley_emoticons_joint.gif

Chrisj303
May 3rd, 2007, 05:39 PM
If you want to run Ubuntu, don't ever get a Mac. I have had a very nasty time trying to install Ubuntu on my iMac. And Vista is better than OS X.

What are you talking about? I'm running Ubuntu, as part of my Tripleboot set-up on a macbook - it's fine. The only thing i'm currently having issues with is wi-fi, but thats hardly a mac-specific issue is it.

Vista better than Mac? - your either just flame baiting or a *Complete* moron.

If you hate Mac OSX so much why do you even visit this forum, all your comments seem to be half-arsed wise cracks.

ThinkBuntu
May 3rd, 2007, 06:20 PM
What are you talking about? I'm running Ubuntu, as part of my Tripleboot set-up on a macbook - it's fine. The only thing i'm currently having issues with is wi-fi, but thats hardly a mac-specific issue is it.

Vista better than Mac? - your either just flame baiting or a *Complete* moron.

If you hate Mac OSX so much why do you even visit this forum, all your comments seem to be half-arsed wise cracks.

Well, there's a kernel panic that you have to know about before installing for one (at least there was with edgy). Also, the lack of a right click is a serious pain. I mapped the right click to my [enter] key by the spacebar, but I ended up having to re-map it just about every other session. I realized that Apple computers (especially laptops) are optimized for Mac OS and vice versa. That's why OS X boots in abotu ten seconds as opposed to Ubuntu's 40 on my MacBook.

Chrisj303
May 3rd, 2007, 07:12 PM
Well, there's a kernel panic that you have to know about before installing for one (at least there was with edgy). Also, the lack of a right click is a serious pain. I mapped the right click to my [enter] key by the spacebar, but I ended up having to re-map it just about every other session. I realized that Apple computers (especially laptops) are optimized for Mac OS and vice versa. That's why OS X boots in abotu ten seconds as opposed to Ubuntu's 40 on my MacBook.

The kernel panic never happened to, me or a lot of the guys over on the apple-intel forum. It's fixed now anyhow.
The Feisty installer has an option for Apple Mac keyboards - every key does as it should.
And the boot time is a lot quicker. Like i said the only big problem that were still having is the Wi-Fi, but that seem to be a problem for a lot of people right across the board.

If you read through that guys (the Darklord) posts on this forum, he just seems to make stupid comments all the time, it just gets my back up - fanboys of all description bug me.

cheers,

the.dark.lord
May 3rd, 2007, 07:13 PM
Yeah, sure... And it's better than Linux too, and pigs fly, and Linus Torvalds killed my mom... :lolflag:
No, seriously, have you smoked something illegal lately? http://www.greensmilies.com/wp-includes/images/smilies/smiley_emoticons_joint.gif

Preferences differ. Linux beats the hell out of both of them though

Sadly, I can't smoke anything until I'm 18 :(

the.dark.lord
May 3rd, 2007, 07:14 PM
The kernel panic never happened to, me or a lot of the guys over on the apple-intel forum. It's fixed now anyhow.
The Feisty installer has an option for Apple Mac keyboards - every key does as it should.
And the boot time is a lot quicker. Like i said the only big problem that were still having is the Wi-Fi, but that seem to be a problem for a lot of people right across the board.

If you read through that guys (the Darklord) posts on this forum, he just seems to make stupid comments all the time, it just gets my back up - fanboys of all description bug me.

cheers,

Dapper didn't work out quite well for me. I'm waiting for my Feisty CD to try my luck.

Alfa989
May 3rd, 2007, 08:07 PM
Preferences differ. Linux beats the hell out of both of them though

Sadly, I can't smoke anything until I'm 18 :(

1.- Nope
2.- Good for you...

BOBSONATOR
July 4th, 2007, 12:04 AM
1.- Nope
2.- Good for you...

Lol, a truly brainwashed mac fanboy.

Do you have anything besides "Nope"?

Dr. C
July 4th, 2007, 07:42 AM

Yes HDCP aka Vista DRM is a critical question for Leopard as far as I am concerned. I am not a Mac user but I have considered the Mac OS X in the past; however I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple is going to follow Microsoft's lead and port the Vista DRM mess to Leopard.

Alfa989
July 4th, 2007, 03:36 PM
Lol, a truly brainwashed mac fanboy.

Do you have anything besides "Nope"?
Lol, a freetard!
Yeah, let's not use an operating system that limits us, kills our dog, sends the manufacturer all the info of the underwear we use and rapes our sisters! Let's all live in communal houses, refuse to buy anything from the evil evil companies and shower once a year! Hail Stalin! :p :p :D

An operating system that doesn't let you plug'n'play a monitor withouth fiddling with the command line or supports a community where if you use something propietary you are plainly heretic doesn't seem "superior" to me...

P.S: I know that's expected for GG
P.P.S: Just kidding okay? :D

nocturn
July 4th, 2007, 03:43 PM
Hey, I just read that Leopard is delayed until October. I'd like to hear your thoughts the OS.

Love the new look. Love the inclusion of ZFS support, though it should be the default FS.

Hate the proprietary side though.

metallicamaster3
July 4th, 2007, 05:33 PM
i am dying for Leopard. this beta build just didnt cut it for me...it was way to buggy. But anyway, i eat sleep and breath macs, so of course i am dying for leopard...but what definatly got me into the new 10.5 is the fact that its all 64-bit. from top to bottom :)

paullinux
July 4th, 2007, 07:52 PM
I have an ImacG5 standing right next to me (with osx) and I have a love and hate feeling about it. The general feel and looks are by far the best in comparison with other systems. But working with it is sometimes a real hassle. That applications don't close if you close the window is really annoying... Also the finder (app like nautilus) is not userfriendly enough.

But the applications is what really matters! And with OsX comes a range of excellent applications I can only dream of in Linux. Granted, you have to pay for them, but if you really need to do something in a professional way there are no real linux applications that come near the standard that they set.

On the other hand, doing your day to day tasks is a pleasure on ubuntu. It just feels right. Everything you need at that specific moment is a 'right-click' away.

I do like the OSX-looks though and by far the best GTK-Metacity theme at the moment is this one (http://www.gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Leopard+look?content=60349) Check it out. By far the best !

hanzomon4
July 4th, 2007, 09:38 PM
I like what they have done with leopard. The new dock is amazing and much more useful then it use to be. The re-worked finder looks pretty neat and the preview(?) feature that lets you view movies and pictures right from the finder is a nice touch as well. Cover flow is eye candy that I like so.... It's about time OSX got virtual workspaces, better late then never though. Time machine looks neat but it would be great if this was just a gui to zfs. All in all I like it

justin1278
July 6th, 2007, 12:18 AM
I'm not a Mac owner but Leopard looks like a pretty neat OS, I am actually thinking of purchasing a Mac when Leopard comes out.

Extreme Coder
July 6th, 2007, 12:49 AM
i am dying for Leopard. this beta build just didnt cut it for me...it was way to buggy. But anyway, i eat sleep and breath macs, so of course i am dying for leopard...but what definatly got me into the new 10.5 is the fact that its all 64-bit. from top to bottom :)
You seem to know much about the 64-bit thing in Leopard.
Will programs and games made for 32-bit OS-X work?

Extreme Coder
July 6th, 2007, 01:07 AM
Lol, a freetard!
Yeah, let's not use an operating system that limits us, kills our dog, sends the manufacturer all the info of the underwear we use and rapes our sisters! Let's all live in communal houses, refuse to buy anything from the evil evil companies and shower once a year! Hail Stalin! :p :p :D

An operating system that doesn't let you plug'n'play a monitor withouth fiddling with the command line or supports a community where if you use something propietary you are plainly heretic doesn't seem "superior" to me...

P.S: I know that's expected for GG
P.P.S: Just kidding okay? :D
lol, a FUD-spreader!
You generalize too much. Just because I like libre software doesn't mean I'm an extremist. Just because I'm a Muslim, doesn't make me one of the extremist Muslim terrorists you see on TV. Just because you use a Mac doesn't mean you should go around spreading FUD (but you do :P )

PS. I've never had to touch the command-line in either Mandriva or Ubuntu to set-up anything, including Java, Flash, or VLC. Even when I had to replace my monitor with another one.

PPS. I just showered now, and I live in a Villa.

PPPS. I use Google Desktop instead of Beagle on my PC. Woe be on me for using commercial software!

PPPPS. I'm kidding too, OK? :D

Sunnz
July 9th, 2007, 04:07 PM
Yes HDCP aka Vista DRM is a critical question for Leopard as far as I am concerned. I am not a Mac user but I have considered the Mac OS X in the past; however I have a sneaking suspicion that Apple is going to follow Microsoft's lead and port the Vista DRM mess to Leopard.
Ahhh everything are great in Leopard but they'll ruin it with DRM!!!

I am already a Mac user but I will definitely not upgrade if it is going to get "Vista DRM".

I guess I will keep watching defectivebydesign...

DjBones
July 10th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Leopard? $130?
why, i could buy 260 tacos at taco time on taco tuesdays with that much money.

now, honestly, i ask you.
what apple pie eating, grandma loving american would take "time machine" over 260 tacos?

Sunnz
July 10th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Leopard? $130?
why, i could buy 260 tacos at taco time on taco tuesdays with that much money.

now, honestly, i ask you.
what apple pie eating, grandma loving american would take "time machine" over 260 tacos?
Macheads.

Adamant1988
July 10th, 2007, 04:55 PM
You seem to know much about the 64-bit thing in Leopard.
Will programs and games made for 32-bit OS-X work?

No reason why they shouldn't Steve said himself that Leopard was designed to run 32 bit and 64 bit applications side by side.

SunnyRabbiera
July 20th, 2007, 11:13 PM
Lepord looks interesting, I was wowed by tiger and am interested in what OSX can pump out next.
There are two things that dont look all too good.
The first one is the transparent menubar, sure transparency is a cool effect but I dont think it will be good with dark wallpapers. I am wondering if apple will make it able to become solid or change the color so that if you change the background to a dark wallpaper (like a black one) you would be able to see the menu.
the other issue I have is that its loosing the rounded menubar, I always thought that the rounded menubar was Mac OS's distinguishing factor from Microsofts boring square taskbar, even in linux I try to make my panels in gnome rounded looking as I think the square taskbar stuff is rather dull.

Sunnz
July 21st, 2007, 03:20 AM
I think there is an option to turn transparent off.

Sabayenda
July 23rd, 2007, 01:53 AM
I think Steve Jobs said that it would change depending on what the background is, so it's always easy to see, no having to monkey around with settings or something?

i want leopard so bad, but I don't have money, only school bills....

3rdalbum
July 23rd, 2007, 01:55 PM
Ooooo wow! Mac OS X now has ANOTHER feature from the Linux world!

mdmunoz
July 23rd, 2007, 06:19 PM
I think Steve Jobs said that it would change depending on what the background is, so it's always easy to see, no having to monkey around with settings or something?

The thing is, it's already been proven in the betas that any sort of checkered background will look like hell with the transparent menubar. Transparency is really, really, stupid.

Demio
July 23rd, 2007, 10:28 PM
The thing is, it's already been proven in the betas that any sort of checkered background will look like hell with the transparent menubar. Transparency is really, really, stupid.
That's why they're called "beta" ;)

Ptero-4
July 24th, 2007, 08:30 PM
Leopard is going to be a pretty nice OS. good for us, bad for M$, just what we need.

Alfa989
July 27th, 2007, 12:33 PM
I want leopard so bad, but I don't have money, only school bills....
You mean you don't have 89$?

Alfa989
July 27th, 2007, 12:45 PM
Ooooo wow! Mac OS X now has ANOTHER feature from the Linux world!
WTF? The only one is Spaces...

Alfa989
July 27th, 2007, 12:52 PM
lol, a FUD-spreader!
You generalize too much. Just because I like libre software doesn't mean I'm an extremist. Just because I'm a Muslim, doesn't make me one of the extremist Muslim terrorists you see on TV. Just because you use a Mac doesn't mean you should go around spreading FUD (but you do :P )

PS. I've never had to touch the command-line in either Mandriva or Ubuntu to set-up anything, including Java, Flash, or VLC. Even when I had to replace my monitor with another one.

PPS. I just showered now, and I live in a Villa.

PPPS. I use Google Desktop instead of Beagle on my PC. Woe be on me for using commercial software!

1.- I don't spread fud
2.- Please show me where do you think that I said that you have to use the command line in Linux? I said that to plug and play a second monitor you have to fiddle around in the command line, which is totally true...

macbookmaster
August 26th, 2007, 05:36 AM
leaperd will rule and ya... i get it free!

Sunnz
August 26th, 2007, 06:33 AM
You thief!!! Or are you getting a new Mac?

macbookmaster
August 26th, 2007, 08:51 PM
I have talked my family into buying macs themselvs..... being the head honcho i get to use them wen ever so ya... new macs

the.dark.lord
August 29th, 2007, 12:03 PM
WTF? The only one is Spaces...

I'd recommend you to research the subject you talk about a bit more in depth.......

For starters, OS X is based on UNIX

Sunnz
August 29th, 2007, 03:38 PM
You could even run GNOME, KDE, Xfce, etc on X11 on a Mac, so that's kind of a moot point...

the.dark.lord
October 15th, 2007, 09:28 AM
The latest rumor is that Leopard is gonna be officially be released on 26th...

Anybody around here buying?

Chrisj303
October 15th, 2007, 04:13 PM
The latest rumor is that Leopard is gonna be officially be released on 26th...

Anybody around here buying?

I will get it off a Bittorrent tracker or Usenet the moment it comes out.

I will then buy it when I have a few quid spare...

Thats what I do with all Apple software.

Frak
November 11th, 2007, 01:40 AM
I will get it off a Bittorrent tracker or Usenet the moment it comes out.

I will then buy it when I have a few quid spare...

Thats what I do with all Apple software.
You should seriously pay for your software instead of pirating it.

If you think Apple did a good job of making good software, please support them. This stands for Microsoft also.

As for the topic, I run Leopard on all my Macs that can run it. :)

Noah0504
November 11th, 2007, 03:44 AM
Yeah, I purchased an iMac that did not have Leopard pre-installed. I was able to snag it from Apple for $9.95. After a little mistake by me -- losing my iLife applications -- everything is running fantastic. I am loving my Mac and Leopard.

Chrisj303
November 11th, 2007, 03:44 PM
I'm happy with Leopard, but I'm looking forward to 10.5.1. I have noticed a couple little bugs that annoy me.

Tiger was working so solidly for me, that any little bugs I'm experiencing now, really seem to stick out.

I ended up ordering a Macbook Pro - and I got both a copy of Tiger (MBP Version) and a Free (retail) copy of Leopard in the box. So I thankfully didn't have to resort to Bittorrent!

Demio
November 12th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Yeah, I purchased an iMac that did not have Leopard pre-installed. I was able to snag it from Apple for $9.95. After a little mistake by me -- losing my iLife applications -- everything is running fantastic. I am loving my Mac and Leopard.
You can install iLife from the Tiger install disc that came with your iMac ;)

Sunnz
November 15th, 2007, 02:03 PM
You can install iLife from the Tiger install disc that came with your iMac ;)
So stuff from Tiger disc does work on a Leopard machine?

I tried install things from a Leopard disc on a Tiger machine and it doesn't work at all!

Frak
November 16th, 2007, 03:37 AM

I tried install things from a Leopard disc on a Tiger machine and it doesn't work at all!
nearly fully backwards compatable, excluding the Java PPC apps.

Demio
November 17th, 2007, 06:00 AM

You can install older stuff on a new OS, but not newer stuff on an old OS.

I hope that makes sense to you.

Sunnz
November 17th, 2007, 06:16 AM
Things like iLife were released before Leopard, so I would have thought that at least some software are compatible.

powermacj7
November 18th, 2007, 05:48 AM
Mac is my primary computer and OSX. Apple did a nice job with Leopard, and I am pleased with it.
I run Ubuntu on an aging Thinkpad and thinking of putting Linux, as a dual boot on my Imac. Has anyone had any trouble doing so ? Does the iMac wireless card work ?:???:

Frak
November 18th, 2007, 08:03 AM
Mac is my primary computer and OSX. Apple did a nice job with Leopard, and I am pleased with it.
I run Ubuntu on an aging Thinkpad and thinking of putting Linux, as a dual boot on my Imac. Has anyone had any trouble doing so ? Does the iMac wireless card work ?:???:
Works fine for me, but it really depends on your chipset (Apple orders from other manufacturers, they don't actually make any hardware, only the OS.)

powermacj7
November 18th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Cool. Imac Duo Core. I downloaded the 64bit version of Ubuntu. I will more then likely try to install today with a boot camp partition.

applehead
November 18th, 2007, 02:24 PM

So what did Apple end up doing? I don't know what this is.

Alfa989
November 18th, 2007, 04:34 PM
So what did Apple end up doing? I don't know what this is.

The typical "freetard" crap...

Mac OS X has got no DRM whatsoever... With the exception of the hackintosh check...

Chrisj303
November 18th, 2007, 04:39 PM
10.5.1 has cleaned up all the bugs that I was experiencing so far!

Well worth upgrading..