PDA

View Full Version : gnome mail checker

redgun
April 25th, 2007, 02:18 PM
Hi all :)

Do you have a gmail account? Do you have used gmail-notify?
Ok you must give a try to my app :)

I've coded a new gmail notifier for the gnome desktop that support gnome keyring to store credentials and notifications daemon via dbus to alert when new mails are in your gmail account.

Future versions will support multiple accounts (including pop3)

If you are interested please go here: http://cgmail.tuxfamily.org/

you will find an ubuntu package also :D

vicks
April 25th, 2007, 04:21 PM
Great work!

Should go into ubuntu main.

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 04:42 PM
nice job :)
(even if I use evolution for my gmail account)

prizrak
April 25th, 2007, 04:44 PM
Cool, does it support issueing a command on new mail and no mail like checkgmail does?

reclusivemonkey
April 25th, 2007, 10:14 PM
Installed it on Feisty, works great. Using libnotify was a very nice touch. Excellent work! =]

reclusivemonkey
April 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM
Ah, I think I have discovered a small problem. In the libnotify window, when I click on the button to go to gmail, in the browser it opens the URL;

file:///usr/share/cgmail/%22https://mail.google.com%22

which of course doesn't work. I'm sure this is easily fixed. Thanks in advance.

redgun
April 26th, 2007, 10:51 AM
Ah, I think I have discovered a small problem. In the libnotify window, when I click on the button to go to gmail, in the browser it opens the URL;

which of course doesn't work. I'm sure this is easily fixed. Thanks in advance.

Uh 8-[
For me it works well

Anyway I will try to find the problem.

Stay tuned for next version

redgun
April 26th, 2007, 10:58 AM
Cool, does it support issueing a command on new mail and no mail like checkgmail does?

Currently cGmail don't support this feature

maybe in a future version.

But why should you need this?
Try to convince me that its not useless :D

:lolflag:

prizrak
April 26th, 2007, 02:11 PM
Currently cGmail don't support this feature

maybe in a future version.

But why should you need this?
Try to convince me that its not useless :D

:lolflag:

My laptop has a new mail light that can be activated/deactivated via CLI so it's useful. Could also be useful if you want mail notifications sent to your phone, make a little SMS script and have it run :)

redgun
April 26th, 2007, 03:29 PM
My laptop has a new mail light that can be activated/deactivated via CLI so it's useful. Could also be useful if you want mail notifications sent to your phone, make a little SMS script and have it run :)

Ok you won :D

This feature is now into TODO list

orb9220
April 26th, 2007, 05:37 PM
Just tried it and get error loading page on clicking for new mail

Also would like to see sound notification. In checkgmail I could set aplay notify.wav notify.wav so when I am watching the tube or reading I am alerted.

checkgmail also uses
mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom is yours?

redgun
April 26th, 2007, 08:03 PM
Just tried it and get error loading page on clicking for new mail

Also would like to see sound notification. In checkgmail I could set aplay notify.wav notify.wav so when I am watching the tube or reading I am alerted.

checkgmail also uses is yours?

I really don't know why you receive that error. I've retried on my pc and it works well :confused:

I simply use a python module that open the default browser in a way like this:

webbrowser.open_new(GMAIL_URL)

where

GMAIL_URL="https://mail.google.com"

Maybe a python problem? Which python version do you have?

Sound notification is already implemented into the development version, so stay tuned.

cgmail use atom also

orb9220
April 26th, 2007, 08:53 PM
What ever is the latest for Feisty. Up to date as of 4-26-07

Python 2.5.1`rc1
Python 2.4
Python 2.5
etc...

redgun
April 26th, 2007, 09:42 PM
so I

I don't find the problem for now.

I will try to use a different approach to open the default browser for next version

prizrak
April 26th, 2007, 10:57 PM
Ok you won :D

This feature is now into TODO list

LOL that was easy :) Thanks ;)

reacocard
April 26th, 2007, 11:12 PM
Wonderful little application! I've been using Specto for this, but this works WAY better for GMail than Specto right now. Keep up the good work!

macogw
April 27th, 2007, 09:44 PM
i also have the file:///usr/... problem

redgun
April 27th, 2007, 10:02 PM
I've used a different approach for the upcoming cGmail 0.3 to open browser, hoping that will work for all :)

mustang
April 29th, 2007, 03:41 AM
Very neat app my friend. Thank you for contributing to the open source community. One request I would like to make is to include the "mark as read", "mark as spam", etc options on the dbus notification bubble. Much like the other check gmail application.

redgun
April 29th, 2007, 10:59 AM
version 0.3 is almost completed and I cannot add more features to that version. I will consider your suggestion for 0.4.

Thanks

redgun
May 2nd, 2007, 09:07 AM
cGmail 0.3 is out. Check http://cgmail.tuxfamily.org/ for news and for download :)

Kobalt
May 2nd, 2007, 09:31 AM
Thanks for the release redgun ;)

I get this error message when I try to launch it :
Traceback (most recent call last):
File "/usr/bin/cgmail", line 11, in <module>
StatusIcon()
File "/usr/share/cgmail/statusicon.py", line 51, in __init__
self.checker.init_checkers(self.no_config)
File "/usr/share/cgmail/checker.py", line 204, in init_checkers
if len(accounts) == 0:
TypeError: object of type 'NoneType' has no len()

Any idea ?

graabein
May 2nd, 2007, 09:37 AM
Is there an option not to show the no new mail icon in the notification panel? Kind of like the update manager works?

You'd have to use a different way to reach the settings on first run and change of settings when there's no new mail though... Hmmm... Maybe as an icon in the Appliactions menu under Internet or Accessories.

zerwas
May 2nd, 2007, 05:26 PM
When i enter my information for my GMail-Account and click on OK, it is still not added. (I cannot add anything). :-(

macogw
May 3rd, 2007, 02:09 AM
The new version's "go to gmail" button works properly now. thanks!

moinster
May 7th, 2007, 10:05 PM
cGMail is the best notifier I've found yet. Keep up the great work!

redgun
May 7th, 2007, 10:36 PM
@ kobalt: it should be fixed in 0.3.1 Please download this version

@ graabein: this is fixed into development version that you can find at https://launchpad.net/cgmail. Please note that is a very instable version

@zerwas: mmm this is really strange. Can you execute cgmail from console and post its output? Try to delete cgmail accounts settings on gnome keyring (or in ~/.config/cgmail if you use plain file) You can file a bug on cgmail launchpad page if it still not work

@macogw: thanks for the information ;)

@moinster: I'm happy about this :)

Nonno Bassotto
May 7th, 2007, 11:34 PM
A very stupid question. How do I tell cGmail that I read the mail? It shows 88 new mails. Fine, I already know those. I want it to show the next ones, but I couldn't find how.

macogw
May 8th, 2007, 01:20 AM
If you click on the envelope in your notification area, it'll re-check your account and revert to "blank" if it's empty.

Nonno Bassotto
May 8th, 2007, 02:05 AM
If you click on the envelope in your notification area, it'll re-check your account and revert to "blank" if it's empty.

Do you mean I have to empty my account? What if I use to leave the mail on the server? I guess a mail checker should remember what messages were already signaled to me. If it does... well, it doesn't work for me. I click and click and always get 88 new messages.

macogw
May 8th, 2007, 03:13 AM
no sorry. if everything's read, it'll be blank.

redgun
May 10th, 2007, 05:48 PM
A very stupid question. How do I tell cGmail that I read the mail? It shows 88 new mails. Fine, I already know those. I want it to show the next ones, but I couldn't find how.

To do this you must wait version 0.4 and your email service must support imap protocol. If you want you can try the development version that already support imap accounts ;) You can find it at https://launchpad.net/cgmail

Nonno Bassotto
May 10th, 2007, 06:44 PM
So on POP accounts I cannot see the last messages, but only the whole content of the mailbox? If this is the case, I cannot use it, since I have to leave some messages on the server, in order to be able to work on my mail when I'm not home. :(

Gnubiff gets this right, maybe you can have a look there if you want to implement this function?

redgun
May 10th, 2007, 09:08 PM
If your mailbox support imap protocol I suggest to give a try to the development version of cgmail. Follow this steps:
* Install bzr (sudo apt-get install bzr)
* Do a checkout (bzr checkout http://bazaar.launchpad.net/~redgun/cgmail/dev-branch cgmail)
* Install debhelper and fakeroot
* build the cgmail deb package using buildeb from cgmail dir
* Install the package

Before you launch the development version please remember to delete old configuration, either the gnome keryring key (from gnome menu->System->Administration->Keyring Manager) and the directory .config/cgmail under your home.

Hoping this can be usefull.

_obelix_
May 15th, 2007, 07:54 PM
Hi,

having planed similar Features to kshowmail (http://kshowmail.sourceforge.net/) ?

e.g.:
* delete selected mails on servers

Best regards,

Obelix

redgun
May 15th, 2007, 08:49 PM
It must be a mail notifier and not a mail reader ;)

felicity
June 21st, 2007, 02:00 PM
Redgun: Thanks for sharing this wonderful application! I really like it, especially the ability to execute a command on new mails. I have it set to open my gmail inbox in a new tab of firefox when I receive new emails. :-D :-D

But is there any way to hide the icon for cGmail in the "notification area" on the taskbar? Probably not, but here's a vote for its usefulness if you ever ponder adding that feature!

redgun
June 21st, 2007, 08:40 PM
This feature is already implemented in development version. I have had no time to do a new release but it is almost there. If you want you can find it here https://launchpad.net/cgmail

felicity
June 22nd, 2007, 08:13 AM
Awesome, so cool!! Thanks!

impulse1618
October 2nd, 2007, 03:05 AM
I'd like to second the request for options to Open/Mark as read/Mark as spam/Delete etc. when notified of new messages.

Also, I like that clicking the icon can check for new mail. Can you add the feature that double clicking the icon will open your inbox? This would be a great added convenience. When taking you there, the checkgmail program will automatically log you into your account if you aren't already. This is nice and I've never seen another program do that for gmail.

Another great feature would be adding a preview of the message to the notification to see the first 20 words or so of new messages.

Thanks and great work!

pt123
October 2nd, 2007, 04:18 AM
wow neat application just what I was looking for.

cwhitehouse
October 3rd, 2007, 06:49 AM
I just found this application. So far it looks just like the kind of simple gmail application I was looking for.

Thanks!

ImpressMe
November 15th, 2007, 03:22 AM
A pleasant surprise. If you need more inspiration take a look at PopTray for Windows. A shame the program was never ported to Linux.

Thanks

ImpressMe
November 17th, 2007, 09:50 PM
One thing I really miss:

From the tray menu: a CHECK FOR MAIL option (you call it 'refresh' in preferences, but that is a misleading or confusinglabel). I don't need the program to check for mail every 100 secs (I use every 5 mins), but I need it to check when I want it to.

Can you add this? Please, please, with sugar on top? ;)

If you could also add this as a double click action, it would be great.

reacocard
November 17th, 2007, 09:59 PM
One thing I really miss:

From the tray menu: a CHECK FOR MAIL option (you call it 'refresh' in preferences, but that is a misleading or confusinglabel). I don't need the program to check for mail every 100 secs (I use every 5 mins), but I need it to check when I want it to.

Can you add this? Please, please, with sugar on top? ;)

If you could also add this as a double click action, it would be great.

it does a 'refresh' if you click the tray icon

ImpressMe
November 18th, 2007, 01:13 AM
it does a 'refresh' if you click the tray icon

Negative. Not true. At least not here. I have two accounts, one POP3, one GMail. I send a test message to both. I verify that they are available as unread mails on GMail and POP3 server.

Before and after verifying I click on the icon. I get a big yellow balloon telling me NO NEW MAILS.

I then go to preferences and click refresh. It checks showing blue arrow symbol.. and then detects the mails.

(BUT if it already DID detect a new mail cGmail will re-show the balloon window every time you click the tray icon with your left mouse button)

redgun
November 18th, 2007, 09:31 AM
cGmail 0.4 no more support refresh when clicking on status icon. Clicking on it now reshow last notification. Now if you want to force a refresh you must open cgmail (account manager) and click on the reload button. I will try to restore the refresh feature on the status icon also, but I have had problems with it so I disabled it in 0.4

reacocard
November 18th, 2007, 10:12 AM
cGmail 0.4 no more support refresh when clicking on status icon. Clicking on it now reshow last notification. Now if you want to force a refresh you must open cgmail (account manager) and click on the reload button. I will try to restore the refresh feature on the status icon also, but I have had problems with it so I disabled it in 0.4

Ah, I wasn't aware 0.4 was out. You could at least bring it back to the right-click menu, so that it would still be readily accessible.

ImpressMe
November 19th, 2007, 12:45 AM

It doesn't have to happen via clicking the icon; an extra option in the menu (when right clicking the status icon) it would be sufficient, if the other problem cannot be resolved.

EDIT: "use your open eye, Frank" ; reacocard already said that. Well, I support him. ;)

pt123
November 19th, 2007, 03:18 AM
Also when there are 0 new mail can it show a 0 like it does with 1,2,3 etc.

ImpressMe
November 21st, 2007, 03:19 AM
I wasn't able to enable "Start cGmail automatically with the Gnome Desktop".

Output from terminal was:

Warning: cannot write to path /home/impressme/.config/autostart/cgmailservice.desktop
Problem:
The directory 'autostart' did not exist. I created it myself, then cGmail was able to create the file.

Permissions in the directory '.config' were as they should be, read-write-execute for the current user. So, cGmail must be able to create the missing directory/directories itself.

Kind of problem #2:
This error should be shown in a dialog box rather than in the terminal, should it not?

I think this is enough for a quick release of a 0.4.1. My Gutsy setup is very normal so I assume that the problem can be widespread.

mech7
February 19th, 2008, 11:52 PM
How can i change it that on a left click it will open up my gmail in browser ?

reacocard
February 20th, 2008, 01:00 AM
How can i change it that on a left click it will open up my gmail in browser ?

you would have to change the code itself to do that. If you don't know how to do that already, you probably shouldn't be messing with it.

G|N|
February 20th, 2008, 08:27 AM
I have a little question:
If you have more than 20 unread mails, are you able to retrieve information (sender, subject) from email #21, #22,...?

I am searching for a good library that supports this, but so far i didn't find one yet...it seems gmail is only able to show information from the first 20 messages.

_Stevie_
March 26th, 2008, 06:14 PM
is it possible to define my own sound for notifying?
i couldnt find an option for that...

macogw
March 26th, 2008, 06:42 PM
I have a little question:
If you have more than 20 unread mails, are you able to retrieve information (sender, subject) from email #21, #22,...?

I am searching for a good library that supports this, but so far i didn't find one yet...it seems gmail is only able to show information from the first 20 messages.

Idk, but as it is, it just claims there are only 20 new mails total, when there are 97.

reacocard
March 26th, 2008, 08:36 PM
is it possible to define my own sound for notifying?
i couldnt find an option for that...

you could use the 'exec this command on new mails' together with aplay or another commandline player to do the same thing.

_Stevie_
March 27th, 2008, 12:49 AM
doh, didnt think of that yet, thanks!

jeremy
February 20th, 2009, 07:23 PM
This is a nice little programme, but to make it a great app it needs to have a preview facility (see first few lines of mail) and the ability to delete mail directly from the server.

Nepherte
February 20th, 2009, 08:17 PM
Looks like a nice application. I'm going to try it out as a replacement for mail-notification.

lenik
April 30th, 2009, 03:15 AM
it needs to have a preview facility (see first few lines of mail) and the ability to delete mail directly from the server.

try http://server-pro.com/poptrayminus/
It previews and deletes, but works with POP3 accounts only, sorry.