PDA

View Full Version : Virgin Media Broadband:Speed Upgrades

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 11:59 AM
I`m curious to know if any Virgin Media users in the UK using the XL broadband service have had the upgrade from 10mbit to 20mbit yet.....and more importantly if they even know about it??

For those who dont know about it Virgin Media`s 10meg connection will be upgraded to 20meg on May 1st for a £2 increase in price taking it to £37 a month but the 10mbit will supposedly fall in price by around £15 in the next few weeks.

http://allyours.virginmedia.com/html/existingcustomers/q2/updates.html

I only know about it myself cause i visit the VM cable forums and checking my speeds today it seems something has already happened as i`m now hitting about 15mbit .....no letters from VM yet though and indeed no extra £2 charge on my bill so i`m just curious who else even knows about it?

Personally we`ll be taking the £15 drop in price and staying at 10meg as even that is more than we could ever really need.As far as i understand it you`ll never see those kinds of download speeds anyway unless you use usenet\newsgroups etc.....is that right?

The only time i ever SEE those kinds of speeds are if i go do a bloody speedtest at 1am
Hell your lucky if we ever get the full potential of our separate 1meg connection never mind the 10:)

steevc
April 25th, 2007, 12:34 PM
For those who dont know about it Virgin Media`s 10meg connection will be upgraded to 20meg on May 1st for a £2 increase in price taking it to £37 a month but the 10mbit will supposedly fall in price by around £15 in the next few weeks.

Does that mean that the current L package is changing as well? You seem to be saying that there will be a 10Mb package at £20 compared with the current 4Mb/£25.

I've been with VM since way back in the ntl days when you got 600kb/s (I think) for your £25. It would be nice to see faster uploading. 768kb on the XL is hardly generous. I'm trying to decide if I should switch to one of the new packages. I don't take their TV, but I might consider bundling my mobile as I'm on Virgin anyway, but only spend a couple of quid per month on that.

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 01:07 PM
Does that mean that the current L package is changing as well? You seem to be saying that there will be a 10Mb package at £20 compared with the current 4Mb/£25.

I've been with VM since way back in the ntl days when you got 600kb/s (I think) for your £25. It would be nice to see faster uploading. 768kb on the XL is hardly generous. I'm trying to decide if I should switch to one of the new packages. I don't take their TV, but I might consider bundling my mobile as I'm on Virgin anyway, but only spend a couple of quid per month on that.

Hi steevc
As far as i understand it those currently on the XL(10meg) will automatically be upgraded to 20meg with a small price increase of £2 up to £37 a month for now and an eventual drop in price of the 10meg to £25.
So have you not had any actual word from VM about it either?

We`ve been with VM(NTL) since we first got a pc last year and they`ve been nothing but bloody trouble & ££££.I`ll quite happily take the £15 reduction in price to stay at 10meg as £35 just seems far too much compared to some i`ve seen.£37 for 20`s good i suppose but way more than we could ever possibly need i think.

http://www.cableforum.co.uk/board/12/

You`ll find out more on their forums mabey

EDIT:`i`m not sure about the 4mbit but even that lot dont seem tooo sure whats happening about the other services it seems

xpod
April 25th, 2007, 01:29 PM
Hey steev....The apparent £15 drop in price for the 10 meg is just talk on their forums at the moment and nothing written in stone m8.The only change officially happening just now is the upgrade to the XL package with the £2 price increase.

This will surely have to have some kind of effect on the rest of their services but like you i really know nothing other than the snipets i`m finding out over there on their forums...:)

That would be pretty stupid to reduce the 10meg to £25 and still have the 4meg at £25 eh:)

steevc
April 26th, 2007, 09:23 AM
I may consider going to a lower speed if I can get a good package with the phones. Even 2Mb would be adequate for my needs and it may well get faster in the future. I'll see what the savings would be. £10 a month less could be worth while.

lukew
April 26th, 2007, 09:31 AM
No problem here with NTL/VM. Started off 7 years or so ago. Currently have the minimum packages and can still download at 450KBytes/S. Adminitably each stream caps at 280KBs; but i can download multiple files from separate servers and they add up to well over 450KBs.

Luke

xpod
April 26th, 2007, 09:20 PM
I may consider going to a lower speed if I can get a good package with the phones. Even 2Mb would be adequate for my needs and it may well get faster in the future. I'll see what the savings would be. £10 a month less could be worth while.

I`d probably do the same myself if we were paying the full price for it all but our 10mb was a free upgrade from the 4mb after numerous cockups on their part.....and the 4mb was a kinda free upgarde from the original 1mb STB connection(which still works)
We have the rest of their services too mind you so by time my lot have hammered the phones every month i`m not really saving anything:(

No problem here with NTL/VM. Started off 7 years or so ago. Currently have the minimum packages and can still download at 450KBytes/S. Adminitably each stream caps at 280KBs; but i can download multiple files from separate servers and they add up to well over 450KBs.

I`ve no "problems" with them either funnily enough:)
I was just curious if people even knew about this upgrade as nobody i know with the same package has heard about it either.
The fastest i`ve ever seen anything download btw was a feisty ISO that ended up at about 2mb
I dont know what to do with 10mb never mind bloody 20:-?

EDIT:Internet back home in Edinburgh sure sounds good ....