PDA

View Full Version : centos 5

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I just downloade de 6(!) cd's of centos 5 and I'm planning to install and try it. did anybody else around here do that? I'm curious to know how centos 5 behaves as a common desktop (I found out it is used a lot as a server). besides the fact that it has not so cutting edge applications, what are the pros and cons in you opinion?...

hardyn
April 25th, 2007, 08:02 AM
no useful information... but they have a lab of 50 machines at my uni, all running centos5 on the desktop... of course i have not have to administer anything like that, but from a user level, things pretty much a normal desktop linux.

karellen
April 25th, 2007, 09:03 AM
I was especially interested in how well yum manages the updates and dependencies and how fast it si now (in fedora core 5 it was slow)

hardyn
April 25th, 2007, 07:58 PM
that lab certainly doesnt jump... but that could be related to so many other variables...

dca
April 30th, 2007, 07:00 PM
I ran into problems w/ network manager that comes w/ CentOS5 for some reason. On the PC (desktop) it worked fine but on two of my laptops it would disconnect for a few seconds and miraculously reconnect. I thought it was a busted NIC (on the mobo) in the laptop but it works fine w/ Ubuntu. Hmmm, similar issue(s) w/ network-manager on one of the other laptops with openSuSE 10.2 where it just wouldn't detect any network devices. I gotta' run, maybe I've found a network-manager & network-manager-dispatcher bug here....

karellen
April 30th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I ran into problems w/ network manager that comes w/ CentOS5 for some reason. On the PC (desktop) it worked fine but on two of my laptops it would disconnect for a few seconds and miraculously reconnect. I thought it was a busted NIC (on the mobo) in the laptop but it works fine w/ Ubuntu. Hmmm, similar issue(s) w/ network-manager on one of the other laptops with openSuSE 10.2 where it just wouldn't detect any network devices. I gotta' run, maybe I've found a network-manager & network-manager-dispatcher bug here....

strange, considering that centos is supposed to be used especially on servers & business computers

dca
May 1st, 2007, 06:29 PM
The rebuild of RHEL (now RH separates client desktop & server versions) from CentOS includes both installs....

karellen
May 1st, 2007, 08:04 PM
the strange little "annoying" thing is that my feisty box works so well that I simply have no reason to try something else (except maybe of pure curiosity...:D)