PDA

View Full Version : Anyone interested in Ubuntu project hosting?

linuxgeekery
April 25th, 2007, 02:49 AM
If anyone needs a small amount of hosting for an Ubuntu or open-source related project, PM (or email) me. I set up a hosting account to host full circle magazine (fullcirclemagazine.org), but I still have mega-unused space and bandwith. Just my way of using it up for a good purpose :KS

ssodhi
April 26th, 2007, 08:12 AM
I'm most impressed with your philanthropy. I'm also in the same boat as you, but my webserver isn't up and running yet. I'll have space to offer soon.

Perhaps we could get together people who are willing to donate space and bandwidth for such projects, so that startups have somewhere to start. I'd be willing to chip in, anyone else? Of course, it would have to be at a much more formal level, but I think it could be done in such a way that it's not a lot of trouble to hosts who want to help out. Community collaboration is always nice!

Just an idea, is all.
-Sanjay Sodhi

maniacmusician
April 26th, 2007, 08:16 AM
I'm most impressed with your philanthropy. I'm also in the same boat as you, but my webserver isn't up and running yet. I'll have space to offer soon.

Perhaps we could get together people who are willing to donate space and bandwidth for such projects, so that startups have somewhere to start. I'd be willing to chip in, anyone else? Of course, it would have to be at a much more formal level, but I think it could be done in such a way that it's not a lot of trouble to hosts who want to help out. Community collaboration is always nice!

Just an idea, is all.
-Sanjay Sodhi
There are a few people out there that are probably already doing this. In addition to Linuxgeekery, there is also phatphiddler, who runs CutlerSoftware www.cutlersoftware.com , He also offers free space to linux based projects. It would be kind of cool to have a listing of free hosting for Linux projects somewhere on a wiki page or something.

ssodhi
April 26th, 2007, 08:22 AM
That's largely what I was getting at, more like a directory of guys that are fine to give out free space. Anything much more complex than that would just bloat the idea and kill it. I mean, a list of URLs, email addresses and names at the least would be fine, and it would serve its purpose. It also allows for a lot more to get done; no one person's bandwidth would end up bloated.

I just might think about taking this one further
-Sanjay Sodhi

linuxgeekery
April 27th, 2007, 10:47 PM
Here's a 30 second solution: http://openfish.info/hosting/

Gargamella
April 27th, 2007, 11:34 PM
If anyone needs a small amount of hosting for an Ubuntu or open-source related project, PM (or email) me. I set up a hosting account to host full circle magazine (fullcirclemagazine.org), but I still have mega-unused space and bandwith. Just my way of using it up for a good purpose :KS

very nice maybe soon i will finish my website that explains " why i use ubuntu" (very small one) I will pm you when done and let you see what I've done

linuxgeekery
April 28th, 2007, 12:00 AM
Edited page.

linuxgeekery
April 29th, 2007, 12:12 AM
So, if anyone wants some hosting. just email me at hosting at openfish dot info