PDA

View Full Version : Had sound problems

Julle
October 13th, 2004, 04:34 PM
I installed Ubuntu to my IBM ThinkPad during last weekend. Everything else went smooth but for some reason sounds didn't work. I tweaked all the settings I could find and checked that alsa-drivers were correct. Nothing helped. Then just before I was going to post here asking for help I remembered that IBM ThinkPads have hardware sound adjustment. Pressed few buttons and sounds kicked in. I had in some point put it to mute and didn't remember it.

I was so close making total fool out of myself. And now I'm doing it anyway by telling everybody what a moron I was. :lol:

jivens
October 13th, 2004, 08:20 PM
I don't think you are a moron. Your post may save someone else the same frustration. Its often the little things we tend to overlook. :D

Peace Jeff

normnmiles
October 13th, 2004, 09:30 PM
I had a similiar situation though my involved a wireless card. My laptop has an option to disable the wireless card using the Fn-f2 key. I spent about 30 minutes troubleshooting my wireless connection before I realized it was disabled.

It's surpising how easy it is to overlook "simple" fixes when tackling new problems only to find those solutions after hours of troubleshooting.

tsykoduk
October 14th, 2004, 08:30 PM
Hey - that's OK... I even went so far as to call a webhosting company to give them greif that a client's site was down, and then realised that I had been playing with my firewall at home and had added a rule that blocked out the class A that they were on.

d'oh. :roll:

daniels
October 14th, 2004, 08:35 PM
I installed Ubuntu to my IBM ThinkPad during last weekend. Everything else went smooth but for some reason sounds didn't work. I tweaked all the settings I could find and checked that alsa-drivers were correct. Nothing helped. Then just before I was going to post here asking for help I remembered that IBM ThinkPads have hardware sound adjustment. Pressed few buttons and sounds kicked in. I had in some point put it to mute and didn't remember it.

I spent about two or three hours trying everything I could with sound on my X40 before I realised that the random beeps in XP had annoyed me so much I'd whacked the hardware mute button.

jahLux
October 21st, 2004, 12:13 AM
Well, I HAD sound - until I did a kernel upgrade, to the latest available today - how can I retrieve the wonderful "Welcome Chime" that was on RC1? :cry:

jahLux
October 21st, 2004, 04:03 AM
Hi folks,
I got my 'sound missing after upgrade' fixed, by reinstalling the "gnome-sound" package. All's well again!
How 'bout them thar Red Sox !!!! :D

alexanderfrey
July 9th, 2005, 05:04 PM
Oh man !!!!!!!!!!!
Thank you so much for this thread !

I also own a X40 and wondered about my sound problems ! It was the hardware switch !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

For 3 days know I tried to figure out......

alex

TravisNewman
July 9th, 2005, 05:28 PM
I once thought I had bought a dead motherboard. I tried for hours to get this thing to boot, taking everything apart and putting it back together at least 6 or 7 times. I then realized that I'd totally forgotten to plug in the power cord.

So no, you aren't a moron. ;)