PDA

View Full Version : What's one thing about Ubuntu you couldn't give up?

ginnie6
April 24th, 2007, 05:32 PM
The Vista thread got me to wondering......what would you miss most about Ubuntu if you couldn't use it? I'm still (for a few months anyway) running a dual boot with xp. I very seldom switch to windows anymore and the once in awhile that I do I'm annoyed that i don't have features I've gotten used to in Ubuntu. Like multiple desktops and the ability to switch them with a scroll of the mouse. still can't get the 5 buttons on the mouse to work in Ubuntu but that's not even enough to keep me in windows. I also miss the speed and stability of ubuntu. And I have to admit I like how much I can customize my desktop. windows looks so boring to me now. Oh and the software! FREE!!! No more hours of searching for a program. I'm even slowly learning command lines. the kdis can get on the computer and I don't even worry about spyware anymore. the hour or so a week I used to spend cleaning windows is now used for other purposes. ok so I listed more than one thing! the point is I really like Ubuntu! :)

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 05:59 PM
the community & apt-get/aptitude (even it's not specific to ubuntu)

tcebak
April 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
i'm going to say the support and that everything is free!!! although i've gained free time from not having to clean my computer and stuff i find my self learning more and more new things with ubuntu that aways impress me. multiple desk tops is pretty mucha a must now. i always have about 9 millon windows open and stick some to certain desktops.

ceil420
April 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
The community's a big thing for me. And apt-get/Add/Remove is definitely win. And yeah, there's the multiple desktops (I love not having to see my media player and IRC bot etc all the time). And Conky ^^ I know there's Windows sysinfo desklet stuff (well, I don't know if there are for XP, but I've seen it on Vista), but I like my Conky o/

And I can't get sued for having acquired this OS free of charge. *cough*

anaconda
April 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
community
krita
k3b
full control of the system
no annoying WGA:s & other viruses
free programs.
etc.. etc...

fuscia
April 24th, 2007, 06:17 PM
i've tried other distros, but the package management gets me back. that, plus my wireless works OTB.

SZF2001
April 24th, 2007, 06:19 PM
Beryl. But you can throw that on about any other Linux OS (can it be done on Windows?).

JerseyShoreComputer
April 24th, 2007, 06:20 PM
The community.... nuff said.

Hex_Mandos
April 24th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Package management, and it's an almost completely painless OS to install.

gashcr
April 24th, 2007, 06:35 PM
Efficiency... I like things to work, and to do it fast... One of the main reasons I switched, but concerning ubuntu ... deskbar... I love that little thing

Jroller90
April 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
I still have my system set up for dual boot with XP, I installed Ubuntu and beryl 3 days ago, and i haven't seen XP since. My favorite thing about Ubuntu is the ability to fix anything. The Ubuntu community is always there for you. I haven't found a reason to go back to XP yet, I've got all my files and can run almost any program with wine. And with beryl, it's like having four monitors! I love the reactions I get from people who see beryl for the first time!

happy-and-lost
April 24th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Apt, Rhythmbox, Brasero, Compiz and the sheer speed and stability

Adamant1988
April 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
The community and the repos. I find that Ubuntu's repos are more inclusive than most others, and that is a GOOD thing for me.

nodorizzi
April 24th, 2007, 07:35 PM
For me it would be, that I am able to SSH into my ubuntu webserver and then have it open in another window just like it was a local folder. I love being able to drag and drop files, create folders etc. etc. without having to use another program or FTP. I wont have it any other way now. :)

Brandel Valico
April 24th, 2007, 07:36 PM
You can have my Ubuntu when you pry it from my cold dead hard drive.

For myself it's defiantly the community and these forums to be exact. That I couldn't live without. Though I don't post often. I use these forums all the time to fix any issues I may have (Things I messed up) Or simply to learn how to do new things.

The wealth of access and knowledge and information found here is amazing if a person is willing to look for it.

proalan
April 24th, 2007, 07:37 PM
- the community
- free software
- free updates
- free advice
- freedom of use
- not having to register every application i install
- no evils of software patents
- amarok

PartisanEntity
April 24th, 2007, 07:47 PM
apt-get
all settings files stored in home folder

Kunstar
April 24th, 2007, 07:57 PM
The community and Tomboy!

zba78
April 24th, 2007, 08:19 PM
apt-get without a doubt (but I guess this applies to all debian based distros)

roachk71
April 24th, 2007, 08:24 PM
Windows (even with a bunch of favorite games and apps) simply isn't fun for me any more. What I'd miss:

1: The fun of fixing problems (by myself and with community help, for which I am grateful). I like optimizing the kernel when I have the time;

2: No sickening End-User License Agreements (EULAs): Microsoft keeps getting more draconian with those;

3: The right to manipulate and back up media I own;

4: The GIMP;

5: Stability, and

6: Security.

More than one thing I'd miss, but rolled into one: I would miss the OS itself terribly!

tennyis
April 24th, 2007, 08:32 PM
I like that I have installed an amazing OS, a great add on program like Beryl, Open Office, Amarok, Gimp, etc and I have not once had to enter a 45 digit product key. I also upgraded my memory and didn't have to call ubuntu and tell them about it, they didn't ask me to enter in my 42 digit product ID and then read me back a 50 digit activation number either :)

fktt
April 24th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Windows (even with a bunch of favorite games and apps) simply isn't fun for me any more. What I'd miss:

1: The fun of fixing problems (by myself and with community help, for which I am grateful). I like optimizing the kernel when I have the time;

2: No sickening End-User License Agreements (EULAs): Microsoft keeps getting more draconian with those;

3: The right to manipulate and back up media I own;

4: The GIMP;

5: Stability, and

6: Security.

More than one thing I'd miss, but rolled into one: I would miss the OS itself terribly! the very same, esp. the part about missing ubuntu itself! :)

Tundro Walker
April 25th, 2007, 05:15 AM
I like that I have installed an amazing OS, a great add on program like Beryl, Open Office, Amarok, Gimp, etc and I have not once had to enter a 45 digit product key. I also upgraded my memory and didn't have to call ubuntu and tell them about it, they didn't ask me to enter in my 42 digit product ID and then read me back a 50 digit activation number either :)

Amen to that!

jammodotnet
April 25th, 2007, 05:57 AM
open-source.
TomBoy Notes.
power.
a rock solid stable testing bed for web development.

plus being free of M$ BS

Kuoi
April 25th, 2007, 06:43 AM
Like many here ... THIS forum and his users !!!

Without you guys , I'm sure I didn't use Ubuntu anymore after about 3 days , and I can tell you now , that I would be sorry about it , knowing what I know now.

I think it's about 4 months I use Ubuntu , and I only use XP for my minidisc needs and most of my audio editing stuff.
There will be always programs that I can't miss and have to use Windoos for it , but as I told in an other treath I use about 90% of my time in Ubuntu , and the rest is for my minidisc.

I like it also that all is free , and you don't have to use an anti-virus program if you don't want to.
And as far as I know NO Spyware too .

I just discovered Avidemux a half an hour ago , and after testing it , I was thinking by myself ...
Yet , an other 'problem' solved , no need for Windoos for Video splitting too ... next ! ...

And today I've made Kshowmail working in my Feisty . \\:D/

I have to say I'm still waiting for my first big crash on Ubuntu either.
Maybe it is not crashing because I don't have to configure much ( and don't configure much ) , because I have the feeling my Ubuntu is very relaiable and stabil.
In my Windoos I did much ( too much ;-) ) configuring for security reasons mostly , and still have the feeling it is NOT safe to use it.

Thank you Ubuntu , and thank you to everybody on this forum , Kuoi

BTW : Sorry for my "Belgian" English :)

steven8
April 25th, 2007, 06:49 AM
The 'b'. Then it would be Oo-oontoo, and that just wouldn't be right. :)

I'd miss everything. This OS has found a home on my computer, and that is where it's going to stay.

marym
April 25th, 2007, 06:51 AM
I am a complete novice - but my comments are:

at work I have to use Windows systems - when they break down I have to wait days, weeks, forever for someone else to fix the problem

at
home I use Ubuntu - when something goes wrong I have everyone else here to help me

Now tell me which is the more effective system?

Pdennis
April 25th, 2007, 06:54 AM
The one things I couldn't give up:

Seeing peoples faces when, after they spent money on Vista, I show them my Beryl desktop. Then saying "Oh, yeah... I mean, it's free online- you've never heard of it?"

eentonig
April 25th, 2007, 06:58 AM
Not the applications. Most of what I need, I can find for Windows as well.

What really turned me:

- apt-get : central application management, including dependencies.
- OTB security: No default open ports and services I don't need. Sain user rights in regards to system administration.
- I can read about and change almost every aspect of it's behavior in human readable format in the config files. I takes time and learning, but I know I can if I want to. In windows, I had to rely on the GUI's, which often gave me a too limited tuning capacity. Or dig in the registry, which lacked the human readability.
- community
- the community support

eentonig
April 25th, 2007, 07:02 AM
The one things I couldn't give up:

Seeing peoples faces when, after they spent money on Vista, I show them my Beryl desktop. Then saying "Oh, yeah... I mean, it's free online- you've never heard of it?"

I had the same. I showed a friend my Beryl desktop. And he said "Whow, can you show me how I can do my Vista do this too?"

I had to answer him "I'm sorry, I can't. My PC doesn't meet the specs to run Vista's Aero. So I really have no idea how it works...." :mrgreen:

He look to me to check if I was joking, gazed at the pc again,... So I told him I'm using Ubuntu (Linux) and gave him a liveCD to try out.

baskus
April 25th, 2007, 04:48 PM
the terminal, free software, gossip, apt, feeling of control and knowing what stuff rly does
etc...

Iceni
April 25th, 2007, 04:56 PM
The freedom to change everything.

Sunflower1970
April 25th, 2007, 05:33 PM
· The community
· K3b. It's growing on me. I'm more and more impressed with it. I'd miss it if I couldn't use it any more
· Amarok.
· The freedom to change my windows managers. Been using, besides Gnome E17, IceWM, and recently began to teach myself how to use/configure Openbox, Fluxbox, Blackbox, and Fvwm/Fvwm-Crystal.
· Been trying out all these different browsers: Kazehakase, Dillo, Epiphany...
· Beryl. I don't use it that often, but when I do it's fun to play around with
· The fact that I can update old computers with the latest open source software and have it run quite well.

:)

AusIV4
April 25th, 2007, 05:46 PM
Some programs I really like:
Amarok
Firefox
MythTV
K3B
Beryl
Konqueror (Awesome for file browsing, ftp, sftp, smb, ripping audio CDs, etc. If it had the same plugins as Firefox, there would be no contest)
Tomboy

Some non-program specific things I really like:
Being able to SSH or SCP into my machines from anywhere. Each of my boxes has a sub-domain with DynDNS, so I can always track them down to get files off of them or otherwise administer them.

Security (without major overhead from an expensive security suite) is awesome. Stability goes hand in hand with security.

The community is awesome.

Repositories are great. It's nice to be able to find nearly every program I need and know that my OS will take care of security upgrades for me.