PDA

View Full Version : What Web 2.0 era has to offer? It's an online OS

DC@DR
April 24th, 2007, 04:14 PM
Hi,

Take a look att this website, http://g.ho.st/. All I can say that it's very impressive and promising, and it's one of the best Web 2.0 revolution has to offer. It's an online OS, it represents the idea of how one could interact and handle things in the upcoming next-generation Internet era...Enough saying, just check out yourself! :-)

koenn
April 24th, 2007, 07:56 PM
it's a website. The fact that it is made to look like a pc desktop doesn't change that.

Kunstar
April 24th, 2007, 07:59 PM
Comes out all funny in my browser

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 08:28 PM
it's a website. The fact that it is made to look like a pc desktop doesn't change that.

you took the words out of my mouth :)

Kingsley
April 24th, 2007, 09:56 PM
I don't like web desktops. There's always the chance that a hacker can intercept my connection and mess with data.

Brunellus
April 24th, 2007, 10:02 PM
Hype 2.0 strikes again.

Ender Black
April 24th, 2007, 10:52 PM
Hmmm... although there is still raging debate about what is or is not Web 2.0 I think most agree it is change from static developer created content to user generated content. For example - www.ubuntu.com = Web 1.0. www.myspace.com = Web 2.0. Digg, Slashdot, basically any social based user generated content is what is moving us toward Web 2.0...whatever the hell that is.

But, I think an online only OS is not too far away and the ones who will pull it off will be Google. Google is simply awesome but the amount of private data they are aggregating is getting to be scary. With an online only OS they would be able to watch your every move, every website, every application you launch. Umm...no thanks.

Hex_Mandos
April 24th, 2007, 11:10 PM
Yeah, at kernel2point0.org they're developing a web-based version of Linux which will perform all kernel functions from a website. The only catch is that since it's not in your computer, you can't boot with it, but it's a start. [/sarcasm]

Now, you can have great web applications, and even desktops. But the only way to make a complete OS web-based would be using a thin client model... and I don't see that happening in a large scale anytime soon.

Adamant1988
April 24th, 2007, 11:21 PM
Hey Cool! It's like.. exactly like my desktop, but slower and less functional. Awesome, really.

Mazza558
April 24th, 2007, 11:26 PM
Hey Cool! It's like.. exactly like my desktop, but slower and less functional. Awesome, really.

Yup. I think I'll wait until Web 4.3 Alpha first.

Pobega
April 24th, 2007, 11:27 PM
Anyone have any screenshots? I don't have flashplayer and I don't plan on installing it for this page.

Nikron
April 25th, 2007, 12:13 AM
Yeah, I hate that stuff too.. It strikes me as utterly pointless and resource wasting.

the_darkside_986
April 25th, 2007, 12:33 AM
Nah I'd rather not lose a word processed document just because my wireless fades out, as it is constantly doing at the moment. I don't see how it is advantageous over a normal local OS, except for the fact companies like Adobe or Google can let users use software that is supported by only web-based advertisement. But that seems highly inappropriate for the FLOSS movement.