PDA

View Full Version : Before Ubuntu, were you a linux user or a Windows?

plb
April 24th, 2007, 02:29 PM
Another pointless poll here in the Cafe. BSD and other *nix variants can get lumped in with Linux :)

Rutabega
April 24th, 2007, 02:48 PM
I used to be a SUSE user before I "converted" to Ubuntu.

bonzodog
April 24th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Die- hard slackware user, here. Have since left Ubuntu again, and gone to Zenwalk, which is based on Slackware.

Sunflower1970
April 24th, 2007, 02:57 PM
Windows. I knew of Linux through my brother who had been using Red Hat since 1999-2000 or so, and he had mentioned it over the years. Finally took the plunge in December when one too many crashes and the upcoming Vista and their DRM schemes pushed me over the edge to look for alternatives.

Brunellus
April 24th, 2007, 02:59 PM
MS-DOS 3.3 > MS-DOS 5.0 > MS-DOS 6.2 > Windows 95 > Windows 98 > Windows ME > SuSE 9.1 Personal > Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog

So Linux, immediately before.

JerseyShoreComputer
April 24th, 2007, 03:03 PM
This goes back to the old Apple // days:

Dos 3.3 --> ProDos --> Windows 3.1 --> Windows 95 --> Windows 98 --> Windows XP --> Windows Vista (use it at work while I try to get everyone to switch) --> Ubuntu

My first Ubuntu was Dapper Drake.... Then Edgy and now Fiesty... So those kind of overlapped the Win XP period..

Anyone else out there go back to the old Apple // days? I skipped over the Mac stuff.

Pobega
April 24th, 2007, 03:04 PM
Windows before Ubuntu, then Ubuntu to every other distribution available.

Brunellus
April 24th, 2007, 03:07 PM
This goes back to the old Apple // days:

Dos 3.3 --> ProDos --> Windows 3.1 --> Windows 95 --> Windows 98 --> Windows XP --> Windows Vista (use it at work while I try to get everyone to switch) --> Ubuntu

My first Ubuntu was Dapper Drake.... Then Edgy and now Fiesty... So those kind of overlapped the Win XP period..

Anyone else out there go back to the old Apple // days? I skipped over the Mac stuff.
We had Apple IIs at school.

Win 3.1 was emphatically NOT a separate OS. It was a GUI over MS-DOS. Oh how I wish they had kept the GUI and the OS separate, but it was not to be...

fuscia
April 24th, 2007, 03:09 PM
windows ME.

Sunflower1970
April 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM

Used the old Macs in college. I remember thinking how adorable they were. All in one little tower. I look back now though and think how in the world was I able to write a paper on one of those things. The screen was soooo small.

hyperair
April 24th, 2007, 03:15 PM
Mine was Windows 95 -> Windows 98 -> Windows ME -> Windows XP -> dual boot (XP,Vista Beta2 onwards to RC2)

I decided to try Linux, and was recommended Ubuntu by a user on www.webdesignforums.net. So I got Ubuntu Dapper-Drake and installed it, trying to resize my Vista partition and making space for Ubuntu, but ended up destroying my Vista installation instead. xD

I also reinstalled my Ubuntu dapper about 3 times because being a noob I had absolutely no idea how to fix my X server crash when trying to install Compiz (before the fork)

Now: dualboot(Vista,Ubuntu Feisty + Virtualbox(XP))

b4silence
April 24th, 2007, 03:51 PM
My path:

MS-DOS versions 5 and 6 > Win 95 > Win 98 > +Win Me / -Mandrake 9 > +WinXP / -Suse 9.1 & 10.1

Now: --Win XP / ++Ubuntu Dapper, Edgy & Feisty

I was a regular linux enthusiast... Liked to try different distros, but used Windows a lot more...

Now I can spend months (!!) without logging into winXP... I have to keep it though cause of some college programs that only runs in windows.. :(

Ubuntu is a really complete and easy to use OS!

PatrickMay16
April 24th, 2007, 03:58 PM
Before I used Ubuntu, I used Windows 2000.

greymongrey
April 24th, 2007, 03:59 PM
Windows before Ubuntu. I tried Mandrake and Red Hat but had mostly stayed on the Windows upgrade path since Windows 95. Now I plan to stay on the Ubuntu upgrade path.

wieman01
April 24th, 2007, 04:07 PM
MS DOS 3.3 -> MS DOS 4.0 -> DR DOS x.x -> MS DOS 5.0 -> Windows 98 -> Windows NT -> Windows 2000 & Suse x.x (dual boot) -> Windows XP -> Ubuntu Breezy

panty31772
April 24th, 2007, 04:20 PM
Not sure if it quite counts ...but... Tandy >> apple II .. windows 3.1 >> windows 95 >> windows 98se >> windows XP >>> ubuntu dapper , edgy , kubuntu feisty ! ):P

aysiu
April 24th, 2007, 04:33 PM
Just barely a Linux user--I'd been using Mepis for about a month, and Windows for years before that.

badactress
April 24th, 2007, 04:34 PM
surely nobody's still reading..

ZX81 -> ZX Spectrum -> C64 -> Atari ST (GEM) -> Amiga (Workbench) -> Win98 -> Redhat Linux -> Win98 -> SUSE 7.1 -> Win98 -> Ubuntu Breezy -> Dapper -> Edgy ->

tcebak
April 24th, 2007, 04:38 PM
i used win 3.1 -> win 95 -> win xp -> Fedora Core -> UBUNTU!!!

DJ_Peng
April 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I was a Windows user, but desperately seeking a Linux distro I could call my own. Ubuntu was actually my second distro (Freespire was the first), but second time was definitely the charm.

zba78
April 24th, 2007, 04:41 PM
Linux long before Ubuntu. From the days of SuSe 6.something and ever Red Hat 7.

USB support was just a far off dream in those days :)

reclusivemonkey
April 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
I came from Slackware, which I had been using since 8.1. I had an Acorn Electron when I was about 10, and an Amiga whilst at University, so Linux appealed to me as soon as I found out about it. I still have Slackware 10.1 on my web/game server, and I have tried to get Slackware 11 on the HTPC, but I was stumped by some hardware issues.

If Gnome ever came back to Slack though I would be sorely tempted to go back. I don't think that will be happening any time soon though...

kelvin spratt
April 24th, 2007, 04:44 PM
windows being dyslexic i could never get anything to work the last year or to linux has moved in leaps and
bounds so even i can use it

plb
April 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
I came from Slackware, which I had been using since 8.1. I had an Acorn Electron when I was about 10, and an Amiga whilst at University, so Linux appealed to me as soon as I found out about it. I still have Slackware 10.1 on my web/game server, and I have tried to get Slackware 11 on the HTPC, but I was stumped by some hardware issues.

If Gnome ever came back to Slack though I would be sorely tempted to go back. I don't think that will be happening any time soon though...

Doesn't a 3rd party handle Gnome now for slackware?
http://www.droplinegnome.net/index.php?page_id=14

ghowells
April 24th, 2007, 05:09 PM
Started out with AmigaOS then Windows for too many years until I decided to take the plunge and learn about linux in 2001, first Debian > Gentoo (informative!) > Debian again > SUSE > Ubuntu (around 04 - Hoary) > SUSE again > Ubuntu again in mid 05 to present. You can't beat debian-based stuff! :)

jclmusic
April 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
i was mainly a windows user, but also used to use slax occasionally.

John the train
April 24th, 2007, 05:41 PM
Win 3.11>Win Me> Fedora Core 4-6 ( still using FC6 on desktop )> switched to Xubuntu on laaptop for technical reasons.

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 05:45 PM
there should be a third option: a user of both linux and windows

Hex_Mandos
April 24th, 2007, 06:06 PM
MS-DOS 5 > MS-DOS 6.2 > Win95 > 98 >XP > Ubuntu

reclusivemonkey
April 24th, 2007, 06:09 PM
Doesn't a 3rd party handle Gnome now for slackware?
http://www.droplinegnome.net/index.php?page_id=14

Yes it does, and I used Dropline almost since it began, but since Todd stopped maintaining it I grew less fond it. When the new group took over and the announcement was made that Gnome would be dropped from Slackware, there was a lot of hostility towards longtime users of Dropline who wanted to offer more help in the light of recent events. Also, one of the lead developers of Dropline was arrogant and rude and I no longer wanted anything to do with Dropline, which was a shame as it was an excellently implemented Gnome.

One of the things I found drew me to Ubuntu was the community.

SZF2001
April 24th, 2007, 06:18 PM
For me, I started with this Windows 97 Plus! stuff... I was too little to understand the "Plus!" stuff, anyone wanna help clear that up for me?

We went from that one to XP (poor family, didn't know there was a free OS like Linux around) after a few years, and the family stays on XP while I use Ubuntu. I've already managed to get a working Ubuntu laptop for them to use, wireless and all.

I'm not really that old, I can't say I started from the Apple ][ days...

Sammi
April 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM
This is actually not such a bad idea for a poll. It's usefull because the results show that we are converting more Win users to Ubuntu than existing Linux users. So because we can expect more growth to come from win users, catering to "Windows minded people" is a good idea if Ubuntu wants to grow.

This poll shows us that it pays to make the transition from win to Ubuntu as easy as possible.

Very niiiice :D

~LoKe
April 24th, 2007, 06:37 PM
Went straight to Ubuntu from Windows.

Dragonbite
April 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
For personal use:
Win95 --> Win98 --> RedHat 8.0 --> RedHat 9.0 --> Gentoo --> Ubuntu (Breezy) --> Win2000 --> CentOS -->Edubuntu (Dapper) --> ...

For work
Win3.11 --> Win98 --> Win2000 --> WinXP (see a pattern here ;) ) --> (I have Vista in my future, unless we move to Solaris)

Brunellus
April 24th, 2007, 07:10 PM
This is actually not such a bad idea for a poll. It's usefull because the results show that we are converting more Win users to Ubuntu than existing Linux users. So because we can expect more growth to come from win users, catering to "Windows minded people" is a good idea if Ubuntu wants to grow.

This poll shows us that it pays to make the transition from win to Ubuntu as easy as possible.

Very niiiice :D
We'll get right on implementing spyware, adware, viruses and Ubuntu Genuine Advantage.

Eddie Wilson
April 24th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Before my ISP gave me a copy of 5.10 I was using Xandros.
Eddie

Kunstar
April 24th, 2007, 07:54 PM
I was a long time windows user from win 95 to win 98 to xp in 2001. I'd heard about linux from a friend in school in the late 90s...but he was a bit of a geek and I didn't fancy using what he was using at the time. Anyway, one day I stumbled across slashdot and started reading about ubuntu. A few days later i saw someone use macOSX and they told me how great it was. I was convinced that I had seen better or heard better reading about ubuntu........deciding that vista was a pile of rubbish anyway because my laptop would no way on earth be ever able to handle it (Celeron 1.5Ghz with 512MB RAM), I took the plunge with Edgy. Everything worked from day 1 even Beryl and I've never looked back. But it has been a steep learning curve although i'm far far happier about my decision now!

roachk71
April 24th, 2007, 08:34 PM
Both actually, but I preferred Linux even then.

The first Linux-based OS I used was Mandrake Linux 7.1 (yecch!) It was horribly inefficient on the eMachines computer I had then (1.2 GHz Celeron [Coppermine]), but I still fell in love with Linux.

It really has matured quite a bit since (this was back in 2000.)

Pikestaff
April 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
I was a Windows XP user sadly :p

Rob Alderson
April 24th, 2007, 08:56 PM
If anyone can remember far enough back ;)

Sinclair Spectrum> Commodore Vic20> Commodore C64> IBM DOS(I think)> MS DOS 2.2> MS Windows 2> MS Windows 3.0> MS Windows 3.1 & 3.11> MS Windows 95> MS Windows 98SE> MS Windows ME (for a day)> MS Windows NT4 (for work)> MS Windows XP> Ubuntu 6.06> Ubuntu 6.10> Ubuntu 7.04> ?

You could say I've been a big fan of Microsoft over the years but that stopped when I heard about Vista & started looking for an alternative & found Ubuntu :D

Christopher Chadwick 1985
April 24th, 2007, 09:14 PM
I have mostly used windows from 95 - XP, I have dabeld in linux once or twice mostly with Redhat, but I am now ready to make the full switch for linux... Only exception to this is my gameing rig and that is only till more games are released for linux.

jerrylamos
April 24th, 2007, 09:29 PM
I made a hard try at Red Hat and went down in flames. Several times. So I tried Turbo Linux, Suse, and I forget what all else. Leading nowhere I stopped Linux and used mostly XP. Then along came Dapper Beta and I've been on Ubuntu ever since. Of course I sample Knoppix, Xubuntu, Kubuntu, DSL, Puppy, FreeSpire, Mandriva, Simply Mepis, ZenWalk Live, and I forget what all else. So I'm mostly on Ubuntu.
Cheers, Jerry

beercz
April 24th, 2007, 09:57 PM
Both

mysticrider92
April 24th, 2007, 10:06 PM
I think I started out with Window 98 then went to XP. Around the time I got my own computer a guy at a computer shop gave us a Ubuntu 5.10 cd and that got my dad and I started on it. I never got the 5.10 to work on my compter, I just ended up downloading 6.06. My dad started out on a Unix mainframe at college then went to DOS, Win 95, Win 98, XP, with NT and Red Hat 9 thrown in there for a little buisness he wanted to start at one point.

BuffaloX
April 25th, 2007, 01:29 AM
I had tried Linux a couple of times, but never really liked it.
Then last year my wife was trying different distros, and when I saw Ubuntu, I thought it was worth a try.
I'm very happy I did, despite throwing away 15 years of Windows experience.
Today I use XP only for gaming, and Ubuntu for everything else, and also a little bit of gaming.
Feisty is GREAT, feisty with Beryl is AMAZING! And the general quality of software is good.
Free software really rocks!!!

I only wish I didn't have to use the NVIDEA proprietary driver.

zubrug
April 25th, 2007, 02:39 AM
first linux dip was mandrake, then back to windows 98 then linspire then suze and now k/x/ubuntu.

FuturePilot
April 25th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Windows. And I was a power user. So I guess there's exceptions to that thing about Linux not going over too well with Windows Power Users. I haven't booted that Windows partition in a very long time.

guitarmaniac
April 25th, 2007, 05:34 AM
I checked the windows box but I DID play around with a few other distros for a month or so prior to breezy (puppy and PCLinuxOS).

old_geekster
April 25th, 2007, 05:42 AM
MS-DOS 3.3 > MS-DOS 5.0 > MS-DOS 6.2 > Windows 95 > Windows 98 > Windows ME > SuSE 9.1 Personal > Ubuntu 4.10 Warty Warthog

So Linux, immediately before.
This looks like it could almost be my resume.:) I believe, however, that I began with an earlier MS DOS version.

I also skipped from Win95 to XP. I had heard too many hoar stories about the versions in between, so I stayed away from them. I used SuSE 9 and 10, but was using XP Pro when I began using Ubuntu Edgy two months ago. Now as you can see, I am using Feisty Fawn and absolutely blown away at how stable it is out of the box.

bran
April 25th, 2007, 05:51 AM
I really cannot vote on this one. I started with a tandy with a 1.x version of dos on to pc-dos 2.X. I spent about two weeks with windows then moved to OS/2 2.11, 3.0 warp and eComstation with a bit of FreeBSD. Ubuntu is my first go with a Linux Dist.

I have had to deal with windows on work and family computers... never learned to like it.

Ephilei
April 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM
Not a fair poll. I was a Mac user (and I still am). Actually, I was a fledgingly Ubuntu user before my Mac, but I didn't know what I was doing until I started using both. Maybe it was the common *nix architexture or just leaving the Windows world entirely or that a Mac's weaknesses (price, openness, configurability) are Linux's strengths and vice versa.

BoneKracker
April 25th, 2007, 06:13 AM
(Home pc's only)

[25 years ago]
CPM -> ZDOS -> MSDOS 1/2 -> Windows 1 (lol) -> MSDOS 3 -> Win 3.0 -> MSDOS 6 -> OS/2 -> Win 3.1 -> MacOS 7 -> Win95 -> MacOS8/9 -> Win XP -> MacOS X -> FreeBSD -> OpenBSD -> Ubuntu 5 -> AlmostOpenSuse -> Ubuntu 6 -> Fedora Snore -> Gentoo (on one PC) -> Solaris7(another PC) -> Ubuntu 7 (another PC)
[Today]

Windows 1 (a.k.a. "MS DOS Executive") I used for about 1 hour (and man did it suck, especially compared to the Mac, which I wanted so badly but bought a 300-watt stereo with 4-foot tall speakers instead). lol It was the kind of software that comes on a free disk in the back of a magazine, and you install it and say, "wtf?" and uninstall it.

Jhongy
April 25th, 2007, 06:35 AM
Windows 1 (a.k.a. "MS DOS Executive") I used for about 1 hour (and man did it suck, especially compared to the Mac, which I wanted so badly but bought a 300-watt stereo with 4-foot tall speakers instead). lol It was the kind of software that comes on a free disk in the back of a magazine, and you install it and say, "wtf?" and uninstall it.

I remember "dosshell" -- it seemed quite advanced, what with it's nice big blue screen, but I distinctly remember it still being easier to use the command line.

I got into the early PC games,and remember having to fool around clearing up "extended memory" so that I could boot into the games. Had no concept of multi-tasking.

Microsoft was great :D .. I loved Microsoft Flight Simulator 4 when it came out... how things have changed !!