PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu is for Grandma?

homerhomer
April 24th, 2007, 06:42 AM
The other day I was talking to my friend at work about Ubuntu, and he says " Ubuntu is for Grandma". He has been around Linux for a number of years and is very proficient at Linux, in fact he was hired by the company that I work for as the Linux/Unix Guru. He Likes Linux already and he is all about Red Hat.

One problem, How do prove to him that Ubuntu is amazing?
Does it matter?

Sef
April 24th, 2007, 06:48 AM
One problem, How do prove to him that Ubuntu is amazing?
Does it matter?

It doesn't matter. Let him use what he likes, and you can use what you like.

digital_sabotage
April 24th, 2007, 07:00 AM
heheh ...maybe you should ask him what's amazing about red hat? ...same thing different flavor no? ...i've never used it myself ...i'd say the fact that ubuntu can be used by grandma is a compliment anyhow*L*

...ubuntu amazed me with it's live boot cd ...it's ease of installation and how almost all my hardware was automatically detected ...the wealth of info and generous help in the ubuntu forums

...the fact that i can toss an ubuntu cd to a windows user and there's a fair to good chance that they'll actually try it and perhaps like it and maybe bill gates will make a couple bucks less and eventually get lost*L*

...just a couple of my thoughts:-)

FoolsGold
April 24th, 2007, 07:02 AM
There is a moron who occasionally in a certain Usenet board I like to visit, who honestly believes that Ubuntu is for those who aren't intelligent enough to use Slackware. :mad:

aysiu
April 24th, 2007, 07:04 AM
What's wrong with being "for grandma"?

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 07:05 AM
grandma is for ubuntu? ;)

tbroderick
April 24th, 2007, 07:38 AM
There is a moron who occasionally in a certain Usenet board I like to visit, who honestly believes that Ubuntu is for those who aren't intelligent enough to use Slackware. :mad:

How is that moronic? :)

Bou
April 24th, 2007, 07:50 AM
What's wrong with being "for grandma"?

Yeah, being for grandma is a good thing in my book.

Perfect Storm
April 24th, 2007, 08:24 AM
homerhomer, just ignore it. I know for the fact some people think they are superior if the use X or Y distro, best you can do is pity them. I have used Gnu/Linux in almost since 2000 and I don't mind using Ubuntu, I think there's much more important issues in the world compared to such things like "OMG!!..You use X distro!!!".
Use what you like and be happy for others who likes something else.

sloggerkhan
April 24th, 2007, 08:31 AM
I think it's actually pretty cool that it's for Grandma.

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 08:51 AM
Grandma rules!!! :)

macogw
April 24th, 2007, 09:16 AM
I suppose he forgot about us "too lazy" people.

dspari1
April 24th, 2007, 09:35 AM
Tell your friend about rpm dependencies woes; that should push a button or two. :popcorn:

steven8
April 24th, 2007, 09:42 AM
I hope every grandma in the world uses Ubuntu! Then they'll tell their grandkids about it, and they'll tell their friends, and so, and so on, and so on. . .

Teg_Navanis
April 24th, 2007, 10:49 AM
Hehe, people who dislike things because they are 'too easy' amuse me. Reminds me of the guy who stressed that he climbed the Mount Everest without supplementary oxygen, saying that this would artificially lower the difficulty of climbing it. He was then asked what he thinks about ropes, ice axes, weather-proof clothing and the like :)

Stone123
April 24th, 2007, 10:54 AM
New users old stories. You might try searching forums for grandma.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331659&highlight=grandma (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=331659&highlight=grandma)

Hex_Mandos
April 24th, 2007, 11:30 AM
That's a compliment, IMO.

PartisanEntity
April 24th, 2007, 11:35 AM
Grandmas are old and wise, that's why they use Ubuntu (if they do).

steven8
April 24th, 2007, 11:41 AM
My grandma's lived through the great depression, and would abhor the waste of money spent on something such as windows. They would much more see the sense and thrift of having an OS that does the job and saves money to feed the family and pay the bills.

koztaz
April 24th, 2007, 11:52 AM
I will be VERY proud with my grandma if uses Ubuntu where is it she now... Up there... In heaven... I love you grandma! God bless you!

migla
April 24th, 2007, 01:17 PM
It's not just ubuntu itself that suits grandmas. Ubuntuforums.org fits that description pretty well also and it's all good.

A few years back, a new linux user was supposed to read the manpages, other documentation and search the net before asking a question (still good advise, of course), but that's not how all clueless dumb lazy noobs work.

If gnu+linux is going to achieve world domination, which IMHO should be the aim in the name of all things good, we need to help these infuriating noobs who won't RTFM.

So, being for grandma is not a bad thing. And actually that doesn't rule out usefulness for a more accomplished user. It's not like you can't do advanced stuff with/to ubuntu.

macogw
April 24th, 2007, 06:04 PM
It's not just ubuntu itself that suits grandmas. Ubuntuforums.org fits that description pretty well also and it's all good.

A few years back, a new linux user was supposed to read the manpages, other documentation and search the net before asking a question (still good advise, of course), but that's not how all clueless dumb lazy noobs work.

If gnu+linux is going to achieve world domination, which IMHO should be the aim in the name of all things good, we need to help these infuriating noobs who won't RTFM.

So, being for grandma is not a bad thing. And actually that doesn't rule out usefulness for a more accomplished user. It's not like you can't do advanced stuff with/to ubuntu.
It took 6 months of using Ubuntu before I could understand manpages. I had to read manpages for things I already knew how to use to figure out wtf the manpage was trying to say (seriously, those things make pretty much NO sense to newbies). And "man man" doesn't really help any.

plb
April 24th, 2007, 06:13 PM

I think the one you hear most often is Ubuntu: African for can't configure Debian.

micfreedom
April 24th, 2007, 06:28 PM

Well! isn't it a great advantage?
I am fifty eight :( and perhaps near the age of grandmas! But I find it so fantastic that Ubuntu is so approachable.
After once you have downloaded ubuntu for grandma, you can always learn how to use this free open source. Grandmas/Grandpas are not always so unintelligentthat it is claimed.

I think once you are able to examine the simplicity and the beauty of a program and its kernel, then you may be spurred - as I am - to learn more and even you may be spurred, as I am, to want to contribute to its beauty and its community.
So to me, I am really pleased that there is a program for granma and grandpa.
Can you imagne being round a camp fire, with crackling sausages and buns, and little Tom says to the group "dye know what happened, grandma got Ubuntu and now she cannot leave the computer alone, she loves it so much because it's so simple! She even wants to teach it to all her friends too":guitar:

gashcr
April 24th, 2007, 06:42 PM
Actually my dad is almost 60 y.o. He was never able to do anything under my old 2000 system... Yesterday, I found with joy a pair of letters he wrote using OOWriter, with very little help from my 13 y.o. sister... If Ubuntu if for grandma, good thing, cause thanks to that, my dad was able to use my PC with the only assistance of a complete newbie.

macogw
April 24th, 2007, 06:49 PM
I think the one you hear most often is Ubuntu: African for can't configure Debian.

I heard it as "African for can't install Debian" but if you use the Alternate disk, that's the Debian installer. I kinda want to install Debian just to see...I know my wireless won't work with it immediately though.

plb
April 24th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I heard it as "African for can't install Debian" but if you use the Alternate disk, that's the Debian installer. I kinda want to install Debian just to see...I know my wireless won't work with it immediately though.

Debian isn't hard to configure at all anymore. Years ago it was, but not now.

Eddie Wilson
April 24th, 2007, 07:23 PM
Don't forget about Grandpa, Like me!:mrgreen:

homerhomer
May 1st, 2007, 07:28 AM
Thanks everyone

I now know that I must have misunderstood him on this comment about Ubuntu

Go Ubuntu!

Ateo
May 2nd, 2007, 01:19 AM
Um. Yes.

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn is for grandma. My mother, a 67 year old grandmother uses it *most* of the time. She has learned the grub interface (i added a really nice grub splash for her) so that she can boot to XP 'to use Quickbooks'...

Spanish is her primary language. Ubuntu is perfect in every way for her and her needs (minus Quickbooks).

She does use it. I left little indicators to let me know..

Oh. My father is now interested in it too. He's the type that like to fiddle with things so I gave him a live CD. He booted to it last night actually (hehe)... I'm not so sure what his case will be.

blazercist
May 2nd, 2007, 04:01 PM
omg the only real difference between slackware and any other debian distro including ubuntu is the packages that it comes with, get a life slackware loser, just because some people dont have all day to sit around compiling programs from source doesnt make you smart.

macogw
May 3rd, 2007, 02:29 AM
Um. Yes.

Ubuntu Feisty Fawn is for grandma. My mother, a 67 year old grandmother uses it *most* of the time. She has learned the grub interface (i added a really nice grub splash for her) so that she can boot to XP 'to use Quickbooks'...

Spanish is her primary language. Ubuntu is perfect in every way for her and her needs (minus Quickbooks).

She does use it. I left little indicators to let me know..

Oh. My father is now interested in it too. He's the type that like to fiddle with things so I gave him a live CD. He booted to it last night actually (hehe)... I'm not so sure what his case will be.
Quickbooks works with Crossover. It's $30 from codeweavers.com for the basic pack.

raymac46
May 3rd, 2007, 02:14 PM
Grandmas/Grandpas are not always so unintelligent that it is claimed.

I am 60+ and have been working with computers since 1965. I haven't found the challenge of Linux any greater than any other technology I had to learn over the years.
I've rebuilt a number of PCs and installed Ubuntu for people ranging from 25 to 60. The old fogies can hack it too.

plb
May 3rd, 2007, 02:34 PM
omg the only real difference between slackware and any other debian distro including ubuntu is the packages that it comes with, get a life slackware loser, just because some people dont have all day to sit around compiling programs from source doesnt make you smart.

Slackware is a great distro. When I used it I didn't spend all day compiling apps

blazercist
May 7th, 2007, 05:04 PM
plb your avatar... is that a pic of you... you look just like someone I know from staten island.

honeydew
May 12th, 2007, 07:06 PM
I honestly think redhat sucks.. I have used it for work.. even have a couple of enterprise licenses laying around.. the package managment is the worst in my opinion.. or nothing compaired to the debian apt-get repos. This is coming from someone who prefers bsd over all... ubuntu is good for desktops.. I wouldnt use it on a server (personal choice). I love ubuntu cause it just works.. just like that... no extreme hacking.. no bukaki.. its just a straight shot.

Enverex
May 12th, 2007, 07:23 PM
plb your avatar... is that a pic of you... you look just like someone I know from staten island.

It's a picture of the person that plays "The Doctor" in the new series of Doctor Who on the BBC. But questions like that are best left to PMs as they are off topic.

Anyway, Ubuntu is "for Grandma" simply because it's made with the minimal amount of effort for the user in mind, thus "easy enough for Grandma to use". To be honest I have to agree with the comment, but I use it because I like having something that "just works" and seems quite polished. After using Gentoo for 5 years it's nice to not have to work constantly on my system to keep it working. There are a few things about Ubuntu that irk Linux vets though which is probably where some of the malice comes from (i.e. "Should KDE have 2 bars by default". Linux vets would likely argue that you should leave it however KDE has it by default and not assume otherwise.).