April 24th, 2007, 05:11 AM
i have to give a persuasive speech on why you should switch to linux
i can think of my own but it would be cool to have input from other ppl

any sort of answer would be alright
pros and cons would be nice

thanks in advance

phoqueyoo
April 24th, 2007, 05:22 AM
just emphasize a lot on no costs, security, reliability, etc.

cons: it's harder than windows and lack of games

karellen
April 24th, 2007, 07:32 AM
pros: security, reliability, free, large community, friendly with older hardware
cons: not so good drivers support, almost no games

matthekc
April 24th, 2007, 07:56 AM
For us to help you better you could post a rough outline and we could give you pointers from there.
What is your purpose pursuade users or public speech?

You can look at Linux without looking at the competition but for most people who see it from I have windows now perspective you might try a comparison.

I usually just make people cds full of open source apps it perks their intrest then I talk about dual booting switching ect. Even if they don't use linux the apps I give them have more users and less funded competitors.

Games!!! some of my favorite games are open source glest(needs a little more content but a polished fully playable age of empires style game) , supertux(way cooler looking than the mario sidescrollers), armagetron(drive the light cycle from tron), barrel patrol... There are fun enough games for opensource they aren't always the best in genre but for free I don't complain.

TH3_D0ct0R
April 25th, 2007, 02:31 AM
My purpose is to persuade users, its for a sophomore English class (so it doesn't have to be long)
heres an outline

Introduction

1.)Introductory Statement

2.)Attention Getter

Body

1.)Security/Stability

a.)Crashing

b.)Viruses

2.)Applications

a.)Cross-over ability

b.)Games

3.)Free-ness (for lack of better hyphenated word)

a.)Spirit of Ubuntu

b.)Community support

Conclusion

1.)Summary of points

2.)Therefore, in conclusion to my previously stated theorems....etc.

i have a pretty good start but i just want to see some other ppls view points on the subject

thank you

Th3_D0ct0R

stealth17
April 25th, 2007, 03:46 AM
rofl! Someone in my speech class today did their persuasive speech on why you should switch to linux!!! :lolflag:

Pdennis
April 25th, 2007, 03:55 AM
Switch to Linux because the mascot is a penguin, and penguins are cute.

matthekc
April 25th, 2007, 06:31 AM
well I had a feeling this was a school project. Its a good outline how long is your speech supposed to be 2 minutes, more-less. I say visit the free software foundation for a spirit quote if you are able to quote in my last speech class we could quote but we had to attribute.

I want to help but I can't do the work for you :) Pointers but no actual words is all you'll get from me.

Emerzen
April 25th, 2007, 06:41 AM
I would divide it up into practical, as you've outlined, and philosophical; i.e., it's based on/motivated by openness, sharing, community, and excellence.

TH3_D0ct0R
April 26th, 2007, 02:21 AM
yea i know you cant do the work for me...:)
but i just wanted to kinda get a consensus of why ppl switched to Linux

matthekc
April 26th, 2007, 06:14 AM
I switched because windows ate itself off a 500mhz dell(I didn't have the cd). The machine couldn't really run xp but the best buy had xandros. I have a better machine now but I have stayed for the free software philosophy and community. Although the free software, learning opportunities and Jamendo have not hurt either.

H.E. Pennypacker
April 26th, 2007, 06:24 AM
I want to help but I can't do the work for you :) Pointers but no actual words is all you'll get from me.

It's very nice of you to be that blunt. lol :)