PDA

View Full Version : IE only... grrrr!

Swab
April 23rd, 2007, 10:35 PM
I just applied for a job with my local council. I went to complete the application online and was confronted with this:

E-Services only support Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or above.
If you are using Opera you can set your browser to support
Internet Explorer but you must close your browser and clear your cache after use.

OK, so I got around it with User Agent Switcher but that is not the point. These people are publicly funded and yet they refuse to support anyone who is not using Windows and IE. It really gets me angry. I think this type of thing should be illegal. And don't even get me started on their use of .doc files!

Really makes me wonder if I actually want to work for these people!

Thanks for listening.

Technoviking
April 23rd, 2007, 10:59 PM

It would probably be easier to promote change from the inside.

karellen
April 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM

or the quickest way to get easily fired :lolflag:

igknighted
April 23rd, 2007, 11:58 PM
It is probably sloppy code by their web designers and nothing to do with them.

DoctorMO
April 24th, 2007, 12:10 AM
It may not result from them but it's their responsibility; so I would make a complaint to the council.

Although the above post is right, if you have a chance to get inside then you can be a greater force for fairness.

BoyOfDestiny
April 24th, 2007, 12:13 AM
I just applied for a job with my local council. I went to complete the application online and was confronted with this:

E-Services only support Microsoft Internet Explorer 4.0 or above.
If you are using Opera you can set your browser to support
Internet Explorer but you must close your browser and clear your cache after use.

OK, so I got around it with User Agent Switcher but that is not the point. These people are publicly funded and yet they refuse to support anyone who is not using Windows and IE. It really gets me angry. I think this type of thing should be illegal. And don't even get me started on their use of .doc files!

Thanks for listening.

So if you got around it with user agent switcher (using firefox I guess?) that means the site works fine with firefox.

Maybe let them know (anonymously perhaps if you are worried...) that the site functions perfectly with firefox, but you had to have it "pretend" to be IE to pass the useless checks...

Daveski
April 24th, 2007, 12:14 AM
These people are publicly funded and yet they refuse to support anyone who is not using Windows and IE. It really gets me angry. I think this type of thing should be illegal. And don't even get me started on their use of .doc files!

I hope you will make your feelings known to them whether you end up working there of not. I think all Government / Public Funded organisations should be made aware by us the public, that we take offense to being 'required' to pay an American corporation money in order to use public facilities or access public information.

Iceni
April 24th, 2007, 12:29 AM
I've run into these things as well. If its goventment sites I usually either send them an e-mail or call them telling them their site is broken. I've yet to run into anyone understanding what I'm talking about :)

fatphilthethird
April 24th, 2007, 11:13 AM

Speaking as someone who used to do intranet stuff for a large government department, it's definitely not easer to promote change from the inside. Backwards dosen't even come close to describing them. I worked with some really talented people but management were completely clueless.

Fat