PDA

View Full Version : matrix desktop

vega44
June 16th, 2005, 12:29 AM
i seen techtv do it on linux? does anyone know how to do that? or anything like that? like have IM chat right on the desktop or somthing crazzy like that??

desdinova
June 16th, 2005, 12:31 AM
If you run some of the xscreensavers with the right options you can have animated desktop backgrounds...

http://alien2thisworld.net/sitePages/tutorials/animatedWallpaper.html

4) Running the screensaver as your wallpaper

If you have multiple versions of Xscreensaver, make sure you know where each is installed. I ran /usr/local/bin/xscreensaver-demo; and browsed through the available screensavers. When you find one that you like, click "Settings", then "Advanced >>". Look at the "command line" box to see what is actually executed. In my case, I decided on Strange. I messed with the settings until I like how fast it moves and how it looks. Then, from a terminal execute what is printed in the "Advanced >>" command line box.
I typed: ~/xscreensaver-4.13/hacks/strange -root -delay 15000 -ncolors 255&
I minimize the terminal window and sit back to watch. When you close some terminals, the screensaver is killed with it, but you can just start up your screensaver from ~/.xinitrc (or ~/.xsession) when X starts.
Example ~/.xinitrc:

~/xscreensaver-4.13/hacks/strange -root -delay 15000 -ncolors 255&
wmcpumon &
wmnetmon &
fluxbox

sonny
June 16th, 2005, 12:41 AM
Wow... that is so cool... I'm gonna try it this weekend, cuz I think it will take a while to make it work in Gnome... thanks for the link, good tweak.