PDA

View Full Version : Not upgrading to feisty.

bortizc
April 23rd, 2007, 09:39 PM
I have been using Ubuntu exclusively since breezy and faithfully updating from scratch as soon as each release has been made available. I have grown to understand ubuntu and linux a lot better through this process (when I starte I was a complete newbie). I just downloaded feisty and unfortunately my scanner (canoscan lide 20) doesn't work with Feisty. It used to work but it seems the new kernel has conflicts with it. This made me decide not to upgrade this time.

I tried the live cd. And found no substantial reason to upgrade. I, for one, prefer metacity to beryl or compiz (and anyway I can easily install either on edgy) so desktop effects don't lure me. The network manager seems to work better, but I have learned to work everything out in edgy, so that doesn't convince me. Since I am an artist, access to a scanner is crucial for my work. I have decided to wait for the next LTS, upgrade to that and keep it until it is out of support. In fact I'm considering an experiment: how long can I have this laptop with linux vs. any other OS.

Does anyone know when the next LTS release will be?
Is there any reason why updating to feisty is important?

tgm4883
April 23rd, 2007, 10:06 PM
It's not important at all, it's just a new release. Kinda like why Windows Vista is important, it's not. LTS releases are every 3 to 4 releases. Since Gutsy isn't a LTS, then Gutsy +1 will be (since neither edgy or feisty are LTS) and it should arrive in about 12 months.

smartalecks
April 23rd, 2007, 10:13 PM
thats fine, re configuring everything might be a hassle anyway if you upgrade. Feisty has some major SANE problems as well atm, so if your scanner is very important to you i'd stick with edgy.

karellen
April 23rd, 2007, 10:18 PM
edgy is just fine, it worked great for me since last year's autumn until last weekend :)

DerHesse
April 23rd, 2007, 11:07 PM
edgy is just fine, it worked great for me since last year's autumn until last weekend :)

I upgraded on my laptop, too. It took half a day allthough the feisty cd was enabled in sources list.

I did not try the Canon Scanner with feisty. My Workstation is still edgy (and will stay).

My conclusion: There is no need to update if everything is fine. :biggrin:

ssam
April 24th, 2007, 12:24 AM
have you file a bug about this (or searched to see if the bug report already exists)?

maniacmusician
April 24th, 2007, 12:35 AM
I have been using Ubuntu exclusively since breezy and faithfully updating from scratch as soon as each release has been made available. I have grown to understand ubuntu and linux a lot better through this process (when I starte I was a complete newbie). I just downloaded feisty and unfortunately my scanner (canoscan lide 20) doesn't work with Feisty. It used to work but it seems the new kernel has conflicts with it. This made me decide not to upgrade this time.

I tried the live cd. And found no substantial reason to upgrade. I, for one, prefer metacity to beryl or compiz (and anyway I can easily install either on edgy) so desktop effects don't lure me. The network manager seems to work better, but I have learned to work everything out in edgy, so that doesn't convince me. Since I am an artist, access to a scanner is crucial for my work. I have decided to wait for the next LTS, upgrade to that and keep it until it is out of support. In fact I'm considering an experiment: how long can I have this laptop with linux vs. any other OS.

Does anyone know when the next LTS release will be?
Is there any reason why updating to feisty is important?
you don't have to upgrade if the new features don't appeal to you, nothing wrong with that.

I read an interview in which Mark said that he is hoping Feisty +2 will become the next LTS, but he's not completely sure, and the decision is not solely his.

Madmoose
April 24th, 2007, 01:06 AM
Everything in Edgy was working perfect for me, but I thought I would give Feisty a try . Then my Photosmart C6150 stopped working, couldn't get my wireless card to work, and my sound card had a bug that I reported. After a weekend of banging my head on the wall like this: ](*,) I went back to 6.10.

Just finished putting my desktop back to how it was before I did a fresh install of 7.04.

I'll think I'll keep this for a while. I know it works.

Ender Black
April 24th, 2007, 02:28 AM
I must be the one lucky goose that upgraded to feisty out of frustration with edgy and was rewarded with everything working out of the box and no issues. I feel for you.. but at least you have reliable ol' edgy to go back to.

The point of all this is to have choices... and to realize that no one OS will be all things to all people.

bortizc
April 24th, 2007, 02:43 AM
I know, it is a matter of choice and I like that.
In fact I could still be using breezy.
I work with latex mainly.
I love the way in linux 30 year old technology still works reliably.

the_darkside_986
April 24th, 2007, 03:41 AM
I upgraded to Feisty because I wanted cutting edge brand new versions of software. Dapper was very awesome and stable but I hated having stale software whose newer versions could only be installed using obscure 3rd-party scripts (nvidia 3d graphics, firefox 2.0, etc.) Also, because I am a fan of the Ubuntu Linux OS. It works better for me than Suse Linux. I'm not even going to describe my experience of Windows 98 - XP Pro being installed from a CD. But the OEM's Windows XP Home Edition previously on my system was quite stable. But Ubuntu is much easier to use and has free, open software that is too hard to find in Windows.

So really, there are only too good reasons I can think of for upgrading: outdated software and enthusiasm. (Adding Edgy repo sites to sources.lst in Dapper screwed up my system big time so don't do that. Nautilus quit functioning.)

PatrickMay16
April 24th, 2007, 03:45 AM
Myself, on my main computer I've been running Dapper since June/July, and I won't be upgrading until there's some application I need or want that won't run on Dapper, or the support for Dapper is dropped.