PDA

View Full Version : Need help: UNIX network, server, and mainframe info

Phatfiddler
April 23rd, 2007, 07:40 PM
So, I have secured a position with Northrop Grumman in Florida, USA. A lot of the information that I will use and process is based entirely on UNIX; no Windows what-so-ever. I have a general understanding Linux and can make my way around, but I have never worked with a pure UNIX system before. What books, sites, or information would you recommend so that I won't be entirely lost when I get there? Also, what are the similarities between Linux and Unix? I know they are related, but really have no idea other than that.

Thanks in advance!

dca
April 23rd, 2007, 07:47 PM
If it's a mission critical server/mainframe it probably runs AIX on an IBM RS-6000 or some biggy refrigerator sized dealie...

http://www-03.ibm.com/servers/aix/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/AIX_operating_system

mips
April 23rd, 2007, 08:06 PM
You could also download & install OpenSolaris & FreeBSD etc to get a bit more familiar with them are they are unixes

Compucore
April 23rd, 2007, 08:10 PM
Mips you mean Sun solaris 10 from Sun Microsystems?

Compucore

You could also download & install OpenSolaris & FreeBSD etc to get a bit more familiar with them are they are unixes

mips
April 23rd, 2007, 08:19 PM
Mips you mean Sun solaris 10 from Sun Microsystems?

Compucore

Apologies, YES that is what I mean. I have the DVD set which I have not tried yet.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

koenn
April 23rd, 2007, 08:32 PM
It all depends on what the job contents is. If it's like "just any job, but they happen to use applications that run on Unix" - say, you're a bookkeeper and you'll be using a financial/bookkeeping/accountancy application - all you have to worry about is getting to know the applications. You'll get a user account and a /home just as on Linux, and that's all you'll ever need to know.

On the odd chance that you've landed a UNIX sysadmin job on nothing but "a general understanding of Linux" :
-- the directory structure is rather identical, but exact locations of files may differ between Linux and Unix, and even between Unix flavours.
-- the basic command line tools in Lunix come from GNU, and GNU was modelled after Unix, so they'll feel very familiar although sometimes will like options/switches that were added by the GNU project

Imagine being American and going to Australia. They speak English, but you don't understand all the words, and they have some weird customs. That's what it will feel like.

dca
April 23rd, 2007, 08:38 PM
oooooh, the above post is a good point. Depending what you're job actually is you may be merely connecting to a *nix box using a terminal emulator in Windows...

Compucore
April 23rd, 2007, 08:39 PM
Just making wure I was on the right track with you there. I have the regular cd set over ehre that I have downloaded not too long ago as an alternative to ubuntu. In case I cannot get it runnint with ubuntu with the gui installed on it.

Compucore

Apologies, YES that is what I mean. I have the DVD set which I have not tried yet.
http://www.sun.com/software/solaris/

Phatfiddler
April 23rd, 2007, 09:19 PM
The job I will be performing is a Laser and Fiber Optics Systems Technician and Operator. I will not be a system administrator, but I will rely heavily on the system for troubleshooting, design, and applications use. I am not sure what type of security clearance I will receive just yet, but I have been assured I will use the UNIX system very often. I will also be finishing my Optical/Laser Engineering degree while employed, and I want to be well prepared.

The mainframe will indeed use IBM hardware with some type of UNIX. Northrop Grumman is the world's largest supplier of lasers, and the US government's 3rd largest/most expensive contractor. I will be dealing with the type of technologies that will be used by all branches of the military: Air Force, Marines, Navy etc. Such equipment is aircraft navigation and defense equipment, laser ranging systems, and more. The mainframe system will handle such information.