PDA

View Full Version : Derogatory names for Microsoft

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2007, 04:29 PM
I love Linux, and for me it is a better choice than Windows.

But one of my major pet peeves is how so many people use derogatory names for Microsoft, such as micro$oft, microshaft, *******, etc. It seems pretty childish to me. We like the Linux way of doing things better, but as they say, there's more than one way to cook a goose. Do we really need to treat people disrespectfully? I know that when I was a Windows user, these terms were offensive to me because I saw it as an attack on my competence as a user of Microsoft products.

If we really want to convince or woo Windows users, the way is not through offensive trash talk about their current choice of an operating system.

karellen
April 23rd, 2007, 04:38 PM
totally agree with you, I hate when people behave like that. frankly speaking, it's just an os and using linux doesn't automatically/a priori makes you smarter or "cool" or something else. it's just a choice. not everybody is computer savvy and we should respect others opinions even if we don't agree/understand etc..

TravisNewman
April 23rd, 2007, 04:51 PM
This has been one of my pet peeves for a long time now! It really only makes the person using those terms look more foolish, it does nothing to influence opinion

dabj01
September 15th, 2009, 09:15 PM
I've always thought those names were funny.:lolflag:

slakkie
September 15th, 2009, 09:19 PM
I name Windows Legacy OS..

http://nmglug.org/pipermail/nmglug/2006-November/001716.html

Sporkman
September 15th, 2009, 09:22 PM
Recurring discussion.

RabbitWho
September 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
When did sporkman become a mod?

Anyway yeah.. but i know lots of Microsoft users and fans who call it micro$oft, i mean it's not like they deny they're about making money or like there's anything wrong with that in principal.
We should let people know they have a choice, not mock them for making a different one.

aaaantoine
September 15th, 2009, 09:41 PM
In another thread I suggested Ubuntu forums filter out these derogatory names and replace them with more appropriate nouns (******* -> Windows).

It didn't go over well with the guy I made the suggestion in response to.

nmccrina
September 15th, 2009, 09:45 PM
Um, this thread is over two years old...

Sporkman
September 15th, 2009, 09:47 PM
Um, this thread is over two years old...

See, I was right.

lisati
September 15th, 2009, 09:50 PM
In another thread I suggested Ubuntu forums filter out these derogatory names and replace them with more appropriate nouns (******* -> Windows).

It didn't go over well with the guy I made the suggestion in response to.

Reminds me of a habit I've noticed some people have of using malapropisms (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Malapropism) and other slips of the tongue. Prefixing what you're saying with something like "without any further adieu" is both funny and sad. When the unintended meaning is pointed out to the people who say such things, it doesn't always go down too well, and that's assuming they understand what you're getting at.

overdrank
September 15th, 2009, 09:51 PM
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/5451/necromancing.jpg