PDA

View Full Version : Application in Progress - Desktop Icon Preferences

chakkaradeep
April 23rd, 2007, 01:22 PM
Hi All,

I was hearing many queries regarding enabling/disabling desktop icons such as computer,documents,trash,volumes visible and many would point them to GConf Editor and sure newbies are going to feel tough about it.

So, I am developing a simple appliction which will enable and disable all these icons in your desktop and you can do it without any pain.

Here is the first screenshot,

http://i33.photobucket.com/albums/d74/chaks_2k/app.png

The development is in progress. I would be happy if I could get some help on,

1) The Gnome Interface
2) Is these options enough or we are looking for something more ?
3) Packaging (i really dont know debian packaging :( )

The Application is written in Python and Gnome/GConf bindings.

Throw in your reviews and ideas and I will try to develop them :) . Let us release this soon :guitar:

chakkaradeep
April 23rd, 2007, 11:14 PM
any ideas:)

Drezliok
April 23rd, 2007, 11:19 PM
Seperate the volumes into "permanent" and "removable". Xfce has something like this but not the speration.

I like it when insert a disk or USB device it shows on the desktop. But I don't want all the volumes on the desktop.

matthewdhandley
April 24th, 2007, 01:20 AM
Love the idea. That was one of those things that I wanted to be able to customize back when I was a newbie, and having to go into Gconf was intimidating.

barmazal
April 24th, 2007, 01:42 AM
it would be good for ex Windows new to Ubuntu user to keep him at same proportions but isn't Gnome about something else which makes it attractive to some?

It took me few days right after first time ive seen Linux to set those icons on desktop myself

jimrz
April 24th, 2007, 02:57 AM
Seperate the volumes into "permanent" and "removable". Xfce has something like this but not the speration.

I like it when insert a disk or USB device it shows on the desktop. But I don't want all the volumes on the desktop.

+1 ... I would love this option

chakkaradeep
April 24th, 2007, 03:01 AM
But I don't want all the volumes on the desktop.

Actually at present with the Gnome and Gconf, there is no option to set like that. But I have asked te Gconf team regarding this.Expecting a reply from them. Its weird that we dont have that option customizable.

chakkaradeep
April 24th, 2007, 04:53 PM
Release 0.1 is out (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=421266) :)

pognonec
April 24th, 2007, 05:31 PM
That is GREAT!
I think this deserve to be added as an update to Ubuntu.
Thanx!

nphx
April 24th, 2007, 05:44 PM
it's great should be installed on default because a lot of new soon to be ex-windows users are use to that.