PDA

View Full Version : tell me cool things i don't know about konqueror

fuscia
April 22nd, 2007, 09:55 PM
i'm going through another phase of kde nuthuggery and have been stumbling across stuff in konqueror i hadn't known before. i'm sure there's a bunch of stuff i don't even know to look for, so hit me with glory.

Bloodfen Razormaw
April 22nd, 2007, 11:06 PM
My favorite hidden trick: You can create completely customized sidebars. I use one which combines bookmarks, browser history, root and home folder tree sidebars into one. Since I didn't need multiple sidebar tabs anymore, you can also hide that sidebar tab bar.

picpak
April 22nd, 2007, 11:16 PM
The best trick: stick a CD in, type audiocd:/ in the address bar, and hit enter. From here you have OGGs, MP3s, WAVs, FLACs, Full Album, etc. of the CD you put in!

jariku
April 22nd, 2007, 11:18 PM
When I used KDE, I liked the fish://-ioslave that you can use for file transfer over SSH. It doesn't require an sftp server, so it's more likely to work. :)

KiwiNZ
April 22nd, 2007, 11:21 PM
i'm going through another phase of kde nuthuggery and have been stumbling across stuff in konqueror i hadn't known before. i'm sure there's a bunch of stuff i don't even know to look for, so hit me with glory.

May help to list what features and benefits you know about and then folks can fill in the blanks.

fuscia
April 22nd, 2007, 11:40 PM
May help to list what features and benefits you know about and then folks can fill in the blanks.

there's nothing in particular. it's just an overall astonishment at how many things i stumble upon.

%hMa@?b<C
April 23rd, 2007, 12:37 AM
bluetooth:\
gets your bluetooth devices! (excellent for wiimote!)

me1on
April 23rd, 2007, 05:40 AM
Here are a couple things that I like about Konqueror:

Mouse gestures similar to the ones in Opera. Just go to System Settings (in KDE obviously)-> Accessibility-> Input Actions-> Click Konqueror Gestures-> Uncheck the "Disable" checkbox. You can also make new gestures.

Search-as-you type. Just type the "/" key then whatever you need to find on the page.

Built-in Konsole. You can assign a keyboard shortcut to open up a built-in Konsole (default is F8 in Kubuntu). If you are using Konqueror as a file manager, it automatically cd's to the current directory.

Bookmarklets. In Konqueror, you might have noticed "bookmarklets" (Javascript bookmarks; For example, I have an "add to del.icio.us" bookmarklet in Konqueror) don't work. They actually do, but they are called "minitools" in Konqueror. Just go to Tools-> Minitools-> Edit Minitools and add your bookmarklets.

Selection Filter. If you go Edit-> Selection-> Select in file browsing mode, you can select all files that match a regular expression. For example, M*.ogg selects all ogg files whose filename starts with the letter "M."

Ad Blocking. You probably already knew this one. Just go to Tools-> Configure Konqueror-> AdBlocK-> Enable.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head.

Bloodfen Razormaw
April 23rd, 2007, 05:50 AM
Selection Filter. If you go Edit-> Selection-> Select in file browsing mode, you can select all files that match a regular expression. For example, M*.ogg selects all ogg files whose filename starts with the letter "M."
In addition, you can get a display filter by entering the expression in the location bar, e.g. ~/Audio/M*.ogg will display the Audio directory but with only matching files. Also, you can use Ctrl+F to get an embedded search dialog, no need for opening a separate search window. It's an embedded kfind with all the same functionality, and combines with Konqueror's ability to browse in tar/zip/gzip/etc. archives like they were folders to get results in them.

igknighted
April 23rd, 2007, 05:58 AM
In desktopBSD there is a mouse-gestures feature for konqueror already there. I haven't seen it on any linux yet, but I only found it on DesktopBSD last week so I've only tried on Kubuntu and Fedora7.

GeneralZod
April 23rd, 2007, 07:40 AM
You can re-arrange tabs my middle-click dragging. Took me ages to realise that :)

Not Konqueror-specific, but the full set of protocols/ kio_slaves supported by your KDE install can be obtained via kinfocenter -> Protocols.

floke
April 23rd, 2007, 07:58 AM
It came first in my highly scientific browser speed test :(

(actually :( since I use Firefox)

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=340042

dspari1
April 23rd, 2007, 08:10 AM
Pros:
1. It passes the Acid2 test
2. Best Linux flash compatibility
3. You can spoof the browser's id to various browsers
4. KMplayer plugin can switch between Xine and Mplayer engines for compatibility
5. Loads fast since it's already loaded with the OS

Cons:
1. No official Googlebar; I'm using the 3rd party "Google Suggest Bar" that I had to compile from source
2. Konqueror will many times try to open binary files with kate instead of giving you the option of downloading. (Workaround: right click -> save as)

Enclosed: Acid2 test results

awakatanka
April 23rd, 2007, 09:25 AM
2. Konqueror will many times try to open binary files with kate instead of giving you the option of downloading. (Workaround: right click -> save as)

Enclosed: Acid2 test resultsIts a Kubuntu config error. I don't have this problem on other kde centric distro's.

Is there a plugin that save my bookmarks to a website so i can load them on any linux install i use? Like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410 ??

Btw here some good info and tips http://en.opensuse.org/Konqueror_Tips_and_Tricks

ctrl mousewheel to make letters bigger and smaller

dspari1
April 23rd, 2007, 09:28 AM
Its a Kubuntu config error. I don't have this problem on other kde centric distro's.

Is there a plugin that save my bookmarks to a website so i can load them on any linux install i use? Like https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/2410 ??

Btw here some good info and tips http://en.opensuse.org/Konqueror_Tips_and_Tricks

do you know a fix?

Bloodfen Razormaw
April 23rd, 2007, 12:25 PM
In desktopBSD there is a mouse-gestures feature for konqueror already there. I haven't seen it on any linux yet, but I only found it on DesktopBSD last week so I've only tried on Kubuntu and Fedora7.
That's in every distro. Someone brought it up earlier in this thread: KDE provides mouse gestures for ALL applications; it's not just a Konqueror-specific feature. DesktopBSD probably tweaks KDE by default to have them on, but upstream KDE turns gestures off by default. You can enable them in the Control Center->Regional and Accessibility->Input Actions. Make sure you have a non-zero timeout for mouse gestures too.

fuscia
April 23rd, 2007, 02:17 PM
you guys probably already know about this page - http://wiki.kde.org/tiki-index.php?page=Hidden%20configuration

so far, i've only done the middle-click to close tabs thing. works great.

TheRingmaster
April 23rd, 2007, 03:33 PM
if you type /. in the address bar, it will automagically go to slashdot.

EDIT: no wait. that is for opera not konqueror sorry

Trail
February 7th, 2008, 01:51 PM
You can re-arrange tabs my middle-click dragging. Took me ages to realise that :)

Not Konqueror-specific, but the full set of protocols/ kio_slaves supported by your KDE install can be obtained via kinfocenter -> Protocols.

omg, thank you!