PDA

View Full Version : Kind of a weird question here.. (How many women on the forums?)

topic58
April 22nd, 2007, 06:11 PM
BUT I really wanna know how many of you guys out there are GIRLS? When browsing Ubuntu Forums I see you all as guys, but is that really true? There must also be a lot of girls/ women out there. True or false? Just being curious here..

Mazza558
April 22nd, 2007, 07:05 PM
I think this thread speaks for itself :)

fuscia
April 22nd, 2007, 07:07 PM
some of us are WOMEN!

MRiGnS
April 22nd, 2007, 07:09 PM
Tehre nO gUrLs in Teh iNtarWEB!!!

Gmbrdilos
April 22nd, 2007, 07:13 PM
probably half a dozen or so for decorative purposes :D

marym
April 22nd, 2007, 07:15 PM
I would question whether I am decorative!:lolflag:

karellen
April 22nd, 2007, 07:20 PM
I remember that I had the same curiosity some time ago...:)

aysiu
April 22nd, 2007, 07:22 PM
According to this poll (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=61048), women make up about 5.8% of the forum users.

getaboat
April 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
Not yet

Gmbrdilos
April 22nd, 2007, 07:25 PM
yeah females interested in technology are not so plentiful these days.

BarfBag
April 22nd, 2007, 07:57 PM
yeah females interested in technology are not so plentiful these days.

That's why I'm still a virgin.

mips
April 22nd, 2007, 07:58 PM
BUT I really wanna know how many of you guys out there are GIRLS?

I could be anything you want me to be :razz:

happy-and-lost
April 22nd, 2007, 08:44 PM
probably half a dozen or so for decorative purposes :D

So I'm just a decoration, huh? I bear a great resemblance to tinsel, huh? HUH?!

</end mini feminist rant>

DoctorMO
April 22nd, 2007, 10:18 PM
Most women don't say anything and simply claim their male because people treat them differently.

karellen
April 22nd, 2007, 10:53 PM
Most women don't say anything and simply claim their male because people treat them differently.

that's somehow sad....even if it's true...

Kernel Sanders
April 23rd, 2007, 12:50 AM
some of us are WOMEN!

I never realised that you were a girl! :o

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 01:17 AM
I never realised that you were a girl! :o
thats because he isn't. but he is in touch with his feminine side. j/k

Wartooth
April 23rd, 2007, 02:43 AM

There's a big difference between not declaring it all the time, or ever at all, and claiming to be something they're not. The main forums I am on are techie, cars, or heavy metal. My gender has absolutely nothing to do with what I do (or don't) know about computers, how fast my cars go or how well I drive them, or what sorts of bands I listen to. Because of that, I find it unnecessary to do the "OMG I AM A GURL!" thing or even the "POWER TO THE WOMEN" thing or bother making my gender known unless it is of use to the topic at hand.

In relevant topics, I'll mention my husband, or something that will make it plainly obvious that I am female, but I don't try to hide it, and I do not attempt to make myself out to be something I am not.

An unfortunate truth, in my experience, is that the majority of females that find it necessary to do the "New gurl heer, *`~hee~`*" introductory threads in many forums are the ones who have the least to offer when it comes to substance and participation and simply set themselves up for failure by hoping they'll get attention for the set of reproductive organs they were doled out. It may not happen here, but it certainly does elsewhere, and a lot of folks I am sure have seen this very same thing.

If you think about it, many, many usernames do not convey gender. Yet, when a female has a screen name that does not convey gender, it is often assumed that she may be hiding her 'true identity' somehow. Strangely, though, this assumption or judgement is never really tossed in the direction of the males. I don't think they're particularly hiding anything any more than anyone else.

Before I close, please don't think I am picking on you specifically by quoting, it's just that I have seen that sort of statement quite a bit in my online life and have finally decided to type out something addressing it :)

-Phi-
April 23rd, 2007, 03:01 AM
What she said ^

- Phi

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 03:26 AM
There's a big difference between not declaring it all the time, or ever at all, and claiming to be something they're not. The main forums I am on are techie, cars, or heavy metal. My gender has absolutely nothing to do with what I do (or don't) know about computers, how fast my cars go or how well I drive them, or what sorts of bands I listen to. Because of that, I find it unnecessary to do the "OMG I AM A GURL!" thing or even the "POWER TO THE WOMEN" thing or bother making my gender known unless it is of use to the topic at hand.

In relevant topics, I'll mention my husband, or something that will make it plainly obvious that I am female, but I don't try to hide it, and I do not attempt to make myself out to be something I am not.

An unfortunate truth, in my experience, is that the majority of females that find it necessary to do the "New gurl heer, *`~hee~`*" introductory threads in many forums are the ones who have the least to offer when it comes to substance and participation and simply set themselves up for failure by hoping they'll get attention for the set of reproductive organs they were doled out. It may not happen here, but it certainly does elsewhere, and a lot of folks I am sure have seen this very same thing.

If you think about it, many, many usernames do not convey gender. Yet, when a female has a screen name that does not convey gender, it is often assumed that she may be hiding her 'true identity' somehow. Strangely, though, this assumption or judgement is never really tossed in the direction of the males. I don't think they're particularly hiding anything any more than anyone else.

Before I close, please don't think I am picking on you specifically by quoting, it's just that I have seen that sort of statement quite a bit in my online life and have finally decided to type out something addressing it :)
i agree.
i've never heard of any woman not saying anything or claiming that shes male because she is afraid of being treated differently. i think that is complete and utter baloney. its more often than not a fallacy that is believed by politically correct touchy-feely men who like to believe that they know women much better than they actually do.

fuscia
April 23rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
thats because he isn't. but he is in touch with his feminine side. j/k

(what the hell...) and i touch it as often as i can. f'dum-bump!1

yabbadabbadont
April 23rd, 2007, 03:35 AM
(what the hell...) and i touch it as often as i can. f'dum-bump!1

Sounds like another classic fuscia signature worthy quote.... :lol:

engla
April 23rd, 2007, 03:55 AM
You could think engla is a feminine nick. However, I stuck that picture up there. Now I wouldn't believe just one pic or just a name, so am I double-hiding my identity? ;-)

riven0
April 23rd, 2007, 04:02 AM
Hehe... yeah, everyone takes me for a guy, too, because of my avatar. But even if I stuck something much more feminine up there, people will still take me for a guy without question. It's quite annoying. I don't even try anymore.

DoctorMO
April 23rd, 2007, 07:23 AM
i
've never heard of any woman not saying anything or claiming that shes male because she is afraid of being treated differently. i think that is complete and utter baloney. its more often than not a fallacy that is believed by politically correct touchy-feely men who like to believe that they know women much better than they actually do.

I was saying is that I know women who purport to be men in order to not be treated differently. some of them even posted in the women's forum here saying such. I don't need to be a 'touchy-feely man who likes to believe that I know women' all I have to do is read it. then just to make sure I hadn't gone psychedelic and imagining forum posts I asked my wife, the same answer.

I personally don't give a rats **** what gender, sex or identity you have. and rather than thinking I know women: I don't care for saying I know someone based on such simple measures, since it really isn't accurate.

So get off my back.

Xzallion
April 23rd, 2007, 08:17 AM
DoctorMo makes an interesting point, I for one tend to say im female in certain areas of the web. I mostly do this in games where my gender is unknown and people make annoying comments about females in the games. I was playing Call of Duty a few weeks ago and there were jerks telling a woman to get off the server cause she wasn't as good as them. So I told her to not let it get to her, and let them know a "woman" was kicking their rear at the game.

Once I got them off her back, she learned the ropes, and I made a new friend. Anyways, yeah people get treated differently on the web based on gender/nationality/race. Its all just uncool.

WinterWeaver
April 23rd, 2007, 10:05 AM
Rofl... I pretent do be a girl in WoW and GW... It's amazing how many people go all stupid and give you free stuff... lol ... one of the best reasons to play a female toon in online games ^_^

frup
April 23rd, 2007, 11:22 AM
that's somehow sad....even if it's true...

My girlfriend uses ubuntu but doesn't use the forums, she comes to me when she does need help, which has been once which is awesome.

And yes she does claim me as hers.

frup
April 23rd, 2007, 11:24 AM

I pressed the wrong quote button above, this is the one I meant.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2007, 09:01 PM
Where's Quinn when you need her?

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 09:20 PM
Rofl... I pretent do be a girl in WoW and GW... It's amazing how many people go all stupid and give you free stuff... lol ... one of the best reasons to play a female toon in online games ^_^
hehe i read all about that on digg. apparently, the women who do online gaming are getting very upset and angry about it.

macogw
April 24th, 2007, 05:02 AM
I'm a chick

Sunflower1970
April 24th, 2007, 06:02 AM
Last I checked, I was female....

FoolsGold
April 24th, 2007, 06:29 AM
Women don't exist on the Internet.

beercz
April 24th, 2007, 09:25 AM
You have obviously been looking at the wrong sites then!! ;-)

ginnie6
April 24th, 2007, 05:57 PM
I've been wondering the same thing myself. I usually don't think much about who male or female online though. What's really funny to me is when we (dh and I) go out window shopping and the guys always wanna talk to him......he promptly turns and asks me about whatever they are saying.

Buzzygirl
April 24th, 2007, 06:03 PM
I'm a gal, and a fairly technically-proficient one at that. :)

Banished
April 24th, 2007, 06:55 PM

:( ...yes we do

proalan
April 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
numbers here seem to reflect the ratio at my university course, only 11 out of 302 were girls in computer science.

proalan
April 24th, 2007, 08:25 PM
numbers here seem to reflect the ratio at my university course, only 11 out of 302 were girls in computer science and they were pretty too.