PDA

View Full Version : Which european country has the brainiest people, on average?

ComplexNumber
April 22nd, 2007, 03:49 AM
guess what? its not the english :lolflag:. but at least the english have been found to be cleverer than the french, the scots, and the irish.

other findings are:

-the cleverest country are the germans with an average IQ of 107.

-men are cleverer than women, on average, by 5 IQ points. this seems strange because IQ tests have always been deliberately weighted(ie by adding more verbal tests where women tend to do better) more heavily in favour of women in order to bring women up to the same level as men in IQ tests.

-in general, peoples of northern latitude in europe tend have larger brains than those further south.

-parisians in france tend to be cleverer than those living in more rural areas. not good news for french people, i'm afraid. the french were ranked 19th with an average IQ of 94.

the rest of the results can be found here (http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article697134.ece).

well, take the results for whatever they're worth.

slimdog360
April 22nd, 2007, 04:00 AM
japan!!!

BrokeBody
April 22nd, 2007, 04:32 AM
Ubunteros!

:lolflag:

lakersforce
April 22nd, 2007, 03:52 PM
-men are cleverer than women, on average, by 5 IQ points. this seems strange because IQ tests have always been deliberately weighted(ie by adding more verbal tests where women tend to do better) more heavily in favour of women in order to bring women up to the same level as men in IQ tests.

I rest my case :lolflag:

bwhite82
April 22nd, 2007, 03:56 PM
Yes, the Germans are a smart bunch, I was stationed over there for 2 years with the Army. Their women can out-drink you as well. :)

engla
April 22nd, 2007, 03:58 PM
The scandinavias say: scandinavians! ;-)

ComplexNumber
April 22nd, 2007, 04:13 PM
yeah, scandanavians and up there with the best, it seems. its a shame it doesn't give the full list.
i heard somewhere that the IQ test involved something like 100,000(or it may have been 10,000. but i know the figure was quite high) people.
according to a past version of the guiness book of records, the japanese are meant to have the highest average IQ in the world.

i have heard rumours of bavarian women's drinking habits ;)

dbbolton
April 22nd, 2007, 04:22 PM
my guess would have been germany.

mips
April 22nd, 2007, 05:54 PM
japan!!!

You must be one of those with a low IQ, especially when it come to geography, as Japan is in Asia & not Europe :)

mips
April 22nd, 2007, 05:55 PM
I would have said Germany.

Deutschland uber alles ;)

dbbolton
April 22nd, 2007, 05:58 PM

jawohl !

The Soundophiliac
April 22nd, 2007, 06:25 PM
IMHO studies like these are stupid. IQ doesn't mean squat.

ComplexNumber
April 22nd, 2007, 06:27 PM
You must be one of those with a low IQ, especially when it come to geography, as Japan is in Asia & not Europe :)
i think he was being sarcastic.

+
well, not totally. they quantify a persons ability to do IQ tests. but yes, i agree. intelligence is far too misunderstood and complex in order to be realistically evaluated, and it shouldn't be quantified.

dbbolton
April 22nd, 2007, 06:28 PM
come on, do you want to treat people like individual human beings rather than judge whole cultures on some arbitrary test score? grow up, man!

fuscia
April 22nd, 2007, 06:35 PM
i'm surprised the irish didn't do better. i guess we've kind of gone downhill since building the pyramids.

karellen
April 22nd, 2007, 06:37 PM
come on, do you want to treat people like individual human beings rather than judge whole cultures on some arbitrary test score? grow up, man!

:lolflag: that was a nice one :)

dbbolton
April 22nd, 2007, 06:40 PM
i'm surprised the irish didn't do better. i guess we've kind of gone downhill since building the pyramids.
this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U) explains what happened, based on archaeological evidence.

fuscia
April 22nd, 2007, 06:51 PM
this (http://youtube.com/watch?v=OKBCCDOUS9U) explains what happened, based on archaeological evidence.

the problem with IQ tests is filling in those stupid, little circles. when one is drunk, this becomes nearly impossible. thanks for leading me to a clearer understanding.

dbbolton
April 22nd, 2007, 07:50 PM
the problem with IQ tests is filling in those stupid, little circles. when one is drunk, this becomes nearly impossible. thanks for leading me to a clearer understanding.
i know, i hate those bubbles. i have issues with my somatic nervous system, and my hands shake constantly. so when i took the ACT, i ran out of time on every section because i couldn't fill in the bubbles fast enough. i still got a 31 though.

mips
April 22nd, 2007, 07:54 PM
i think he was being sarcastic.

And i was joking ;)

Spoofhound
April 22nd, 2007, 10:29 PM

nah, I just think its due to so many of US being over THERE - in France, Germany, etc. pushing up the national average of all European countries - did anyone really think that the proliferation of Irish pubs across Europe (and the world) had anything to do with alcohol or drinking - no way - these are places of national education and enlightenment

Kingsley
April 22nd, 2007, 10:39 PM
I've heard that Denmark has one of the best educational systems.

Swab
April 22nd, 2007, 10:45 PM
guess what? its not the english :lolflag:. but at least the english have been found to be cleverer than the french, the scots, and the irish.

Bah humbug... what about all those clever Scottish inventors? Granted there hasn't been one in a while.... oh ****!

mips
April 22nd, 2007, 11:41 PM
oh ****!

Love that expression, Father Jack from the tv show Father Ted did it pretty well.

slimdog360
April 22nd, 2007, 11:48 PM

I'm having a hard time wondering if this was a joke. The first part says joke, then the second part says something a bit more professional, but obvious at the same time. So maybe it was a joke, does anyone know if it was a joke?

the8thstar
April 22nd, 2007, 11:53 PM
Some people get everything in the first degree... others are more refined.

plb
April 23rd, 2007, 12:09 AM
Does that mean KDE > GNOME :)

lakersforce
April 23rd, 2007, 12:14 AM

Nein!

The scandinavias say: scandinavians! ;-)

Hørt hørt!

I seriously doubt that. But at least it is free to attend to university.

zubrug
April 23rd, 2007, 12:21 AM
Is it not true that the highest iq scores belong to a bouncer and a motorcycle mechanic. I read this in an article on mensa (spelling?). It is believed that the people with the highest iq's are more likely to be anti-social types who can't understand the human need to use and destroy all they see! Consume, consume..........

http://www.mensa.org/index0.php?page=10

TheMono
April 23rd, 2007, 12:26 AM
Does that mean KDE > GNOME :)

You're the sort of person that could read an argument for abortion and birth control out of the doctrines of the Roman Catholic Church, aren't you :P

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 12:54 AM
Originally Posted by Kingsley http://ubuntuforums.org/images/uf/buttons/viewpost.gif (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=2511013#post2511013)
the scottish educational system has too, but look where they are on the list :lolflag: j/k

fuscia
April 23rd, 2007, 03:23 AM
some countries just need a better educational system.

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 03:30 AM
suc as
some countries just need a better educational system.
such as england, for example.

mips
April 23rd, 2007, 12:18 PM
I'm having a hard time wondering if this was a joke. The first part says joke, then the second part says something a bit more professional, but obvious at the same time. So maybe it was a joke, does anyone know if it was a joke?

It was a joke, you can relax now, I got your sarcasm. I had the smiley at the end.

gusjones
April 23rd, 2007, 01:18 PM
the scottish educational system has too, but look where they are on the list :lolflag: j/k

It's called brain drain. i.e. some of the bright people go elsewhere, thus lowering ave IQ.

I remember reading that women are most likely to be of average IQ whereas a man is more likely to be extremely clever or extremely stupid. Any thoughts?

orbital
April 23rd, 2007, 01:40 PM
Finland, no doubt.

check the scores:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Programme_for_International_Student_Assessment

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Education_in_Finland

kleeman
April 23rd, 2007, 01:54 PM
Finland, no doubt.

check the scores:

Absolutely! Since linux was invented there.

Actually my theory is the inventors of IQ tests had a certain mentality/intelligence which explains these results. The modern IQ test was invented by Wechsler in the 1930s. Wechsler is a German name (perhaps Jewish but Germanic nevertheless) . Hmmmm.......

kazuya
April 23rd, 2007, 02:32 PM
I say brainy is from all areas. In Europe, there are some top candidates. Sweden comes as one of the first to me.

ComplexNumber
April 23rd, 2007, 02:39 PM
It's called brain drain. i.e. some of the bright people go elsewhere, thus lowering ave IQ.

I remember reading that women are most likely to be of average IQ whereas a man is more likely to be extremely clever or extremely stupid. Any thoughts?
yeah, its true. there are more brain-damaged-from-birth males (baby boys are weaker at birth and are more susceptible to brain damage in the womb), but there also much more high IQ men than women.

Hallvor
April 23rd, 2007, 02:54 PM
Finland, no doubt.

check the scores:

Education there seems to be impressive.

thegnome87
July 4th, 2007, 06:20 PM
I would have also said Germany probably because of the stale/emotionally cold but exceptionally brilliant stereotype (Pope B16 comes to mind both as cardinal and now pope, whether you agree with him or not he's pretty bright).

As for "not so bright"(on an iq test anyway) I'd go with Spain and/or Italy (I share the culture or have been there) because of their general take it easy lifestyle...they'd show up to the iq test an hour late, 1/2 hour if they're feeling early or skipping siesta ;) what theres a test today? *casually sits down and fills in bubbles while consuming some sort of meaty nourishhment, most likely from a deli*

Hallvor
July 4th, 2007, 06:24 PM
I read somewhere that the Germans were brainiest, while the Serbs score lowest on average in Europe.

vambo
July 4th, 2007, 06:27 PM
What's an IQ?:confused:

happy-and-lost
July 4th, 2007, 06:45 PM
The Wise folk of Yorkshire :D

Sunforge
July 4th, 2007, 06:51 PM
I don't need no educayshun but I do need a speel chucker cuz it make me briter.

smoker
July 4th, 2007, 06:54 PM
I don't need no educayshun but I do need a speel chucker cuz it make me briter.

spellcheckers are great!

Wee halve a spelling chequer,
It came with hour pea sea.
It plainly marques four hour revue
Miss steaks wee kin not sea.
Wee strike a key and type a word,
And weight for it two say,
Weather wee ah wrong oar write,
It shows us strait a weigh.
As soon as a mist ache is maid
It nose bee fore two long,
And wee can put the error rite
Its rare lea ever wrong.
Weave run this poem threw it,
Were shore your pleased two no,
Its letter perfect awl the weigh,
Hour chequer tolled us sew!

:D:D:D

Drifter
July 4th, 2007, 07:07 PM
Who cares

crispingatiesa
July 4th, 2007, 07:24 PM
So, what's the final argument? That size indeed matters?

samschoice
July 4th, 2007, 08:12 PM
This sort of nationalist thinking has caused two world wars, and will cause many more. Countries are imaginary.

xpod
July 4th, 2007, 08:22 PM
What's an IQ?

It`s the next one up from IP:-k

vambo
July 4th, 2007, 09:04 PM
It`s the next one up from IP:-k

Ah - ha .. got the rfc #??;)

xpod
July 4th, 2007, 09:44 PM
Ah - ha .. got the rfc #??

rfc?
The dear wifes an rfc supporter and i know for a fact that most of those fans have an IQ of 137+.

Thats between them all of course......(waits for e-butt from angry Glasweigan):p