PDA

View Full Version : WI-FI , could hurt your kids

zubrug
April 22nd, 2007, 01:45 AM
I just read this article a couple weeks after I set wi-fi up.
http://news.independent.co.uk/uk/health_medical/article2472133.ece

BarfBag
April 22nd, 2007, 02:56 AM
That article doesn't give a lot of information on the matter. All it says is that it could give a young child cancer. It doesn't give any scientific proof or a reason.

some_random_noob
April 22nd, 2007, 04:20 AM
Cheers for that, there's a good BBC article too... somewhere. I just got wi-fi set up at my mums, I'm totally against it. If the router is anywhere near my room then I won't be sleeping there. Haven't seen the setup though... I'll be over there tonight...

I know that there's no evidence, but does that matter? We don't need this BS. If I had a choice of going to a cafe without wi-fi and one with it, then I'd go to the healthier one. Only a matter of time until we starting seeing "this is a wi-fi free zone!" stickers :D

I know how awesome it is to not have wires, but what the hell happened to common sense and health concerns? The people I know who have wireless always say how wonderful and convenient it is... wtf? Those people are always either weird or wealthy. Wireless is a load of crap and we don't need it everywhere we go. Society is seriously screwed these days...

steven8
April 22nd, 2007, 04:34 AM
My wife said she read an article that males who use wi-fi and or cell phones for a total of 4 hrs a day can have up to a 40% lower sperm count. Then we won't even have chidren to damge at that rate.

Ender Black
April 22nd, 2007, 05:03 AM
It only takes one.... ;)

DoctorMO
April 22nd, 2007, 05:35 AM
Life gives you cancer, proven fact.

riven0
April 22nd, 2007, 05:46 AM
Oh, come on. Do you know fruits can give you cancer considering how much pesticides their sprayed with? How about white bread? If I'm to worry about everything that may give me or my family cancer, I might as well stop living right now.

AusIV4
April 22nd, 2007, 05:52 AM
Why would wifi be any worse than cellular phones? Wifi has a range of several hundred feet, cell phones have a range on the order of miles.

I remember a while back hearing about people concerned about the effects of using bluetooth headsets. I thought this was rather bizarre - which would you rather have against your head - something that broadcasts a few feet to the phone, or something that broadcasts a mile to the nearest tower?

Wifi and cellular phones both use radiowaves - which people have been broadcasting with for 110 years. Admittedly, the frequencies are different, but they're lower power than broadcast radio. If people who have worked closely with high band radios their whole lives haven't been developing cancer at an alarming rate, I'm certainly not concerned about low powered radios that broadcast less than a couple of miles.

3rdalbum
April 22nd, 2007, 08:04 AM
Nobody would remember this, but originally having mains electricity installed in our homes was going to give us cancer.

Then, computer monitors were emitting radiation that was going to give us cancer.

Then, mobile phones were going to give us cancer.

Then, cordless phones were going to give us cancer.

Then, Bluetooth was going to give us cancer.

Then, wifi was going to give us cancer.

According to the article, the Department of Education and Skills describes wifi as a "magical" system. Exactly where is the DES located - Hogwarts Castle?

DoctorMO
April 22nd, 2007, 08:37 AM
Do you know how they test if something gives you cancer? does up mice to the eye balls with what ever it a million times overdose and see how many die. this is funny since what most mouse owners will tell you is that what mice mainly die of is cancer; even the ones no used in tests.

simonalpha
April 22nd, 2007, 08:45 AM
There's a proven link between sun exposure and melanoma. Should we stay indoors permanently?
Seriously, the only way you can shield yourself entirely from all radiation is to live in a lead box.... and then die from lead poisoning.... Personally, I'll take the irradiation by WiFi

dspari1
April 22nd, 2007, 10:07 AM
Cheers for that, there's a good BBC article too... somewhere. I just got wi-fi set up at my mums, I'm totally against it. If the router is anywhere near my room then I won't be sleeping there. Haven't seen the setup though... I'll be over there tonight...

I know that there's no evidence, but does that matter? We don't need this BS. If I had a choice of going to a cafe without wi-fi and one with it, then I'd go to the healthier one. Only a matter of time until we starting seeing "this is a wi-fi free zone!" stickers :D

I know how awesome it is to not have wires, but what the hell happened to common sense and health concerns? The people I know who have wireless always say how wonderful and convenient it is... wtf? Those people are always either weird or wealthy. Wireless is a load of crap and we don't need it everywhere we go. Society is seriously screwed these days...

I assume you don't use cell phones, get x-rays, or fly on planes either.

PaulKroll
April 22nd, 2007, 10:15 AM
I know that there's no evidence, but does that matter?
Well... yeah, of course it matters. People say the most amazing nonsense. If there's no evidence, then, don't worry about it. If there is, you still need to assess whether it's actually good evidence or the kind of "evidence" an astrologer would show. If you're going to take any "this is deadly" warning as gospel, you're going to end up believing a lot of things that aren't true, and wasting a lot of effort and time.

Check out snopes.com sometime for the range of complete silliness that gets passed off as true... sometimes, starting in a news article. News people aren't as accurate and knowledgeable as you might hope. "Scientist" or "doctor" can mean a quack, and "studies" that don't list who did them and when, are probably more like "mall surveys."

PartisanEntity
April 22nd, 2007, 11:20 AM
Of course there could be effects from wifi routers, but I hope we are all aware that wherever you are, a multitude of differing waves are floating through the ether and your body. So if you turn off your wifi router, or move it away from you, you are still being bombarded by cell phones, radios, devices in your home, etc...

Detonate
April 22nd, 2007, 11:37 AM
I have recently started a new company called "The Wi-Fi Cancer Insurance Institute". I will insure any user of Wi-Fi from any cancer caused by said Wi-Fi. The premium is very reasonable. A one time payment of $50 USD. After enrollment, if you can provide a statement from competent medical authority that you have cancer that is unequivocally caused by your Wi-Fi usage, and no other cause is possible, I will pay you ten times your premium $500 USD. Contact me by PM for payment instructions.:)

karellen
April 22nd, 2007, 01:08 PM
Nobody would remember this, but originally having mains electricity installed in our homes was going to give us cancer.

Then, computer monitors were emitting radiation that was going to give us cancer.

Then, mobile phones were going to give us cancer.

Then, cordless phones were going to give us cancer.

Then, Bluetooth was going to give us cancer.

Then, wifi was going to give us cancer.

According to the article, the Department of Education and Skills describes wifi as a "magical" system. Exactly where is the DES located - Hogwarts Castle?

:) that's my opinion too. as long as it's not scientificaly proven, by studies and experiments, it's just FUD and tabloid quality news

karellen
April 22nd, 2007, 01:16 PM
I know that there's no evidence, but does that matter?

:lolflag:
it's one of the lamest arguments I have ever heard/seen

some_random_noob
April 24th, 2007, 06:49 AM
Well I guess life has its risks. Air pollution is probably bad for your health too, but air pollution doesn't allow you to play runescape :( ... ok, wireless is probably worth it :D But yes, I'll avoid it if possible. I am probably the biggest health freak out of everyone I know... I'll live :) I always seem to avoid random binge drinking, any source of minor radiation, caffine and anything that's not cooked by me :lolflag: Hmm, guess other people are worse off.

FoolsGold
April 24th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I am probably the biggest health freak out of everyone I know... I'll live :) I always seem to avoid random binge drinking, any source of minor radiation, caffine and anything that's not cooked by me :lolflag:

Hmm, guess other people are worse off.
There's a certain irony when a person (not suggesting you, so don't worry) who pride themselves on living an ultra-healthy life, exercises daily and so on, is jogging one day and suffers a heart attack and dies, and the first two people to find him on the sidewalk are a couple of smokers. :)

Point being, a life without indulging in the less-healthy elements of life is no life lived at all... WITHIN REASON. :popcorn:

Pekkalainen
April 24th, 2007, 09:13 AM
Why do people keep spreading this BS around? :mad:

steven8
April 24th, 2007, 09:36 AM
Why do people keep spreading this BS around? :mad:

It may not be BS. It may have some basis in fact, and it may not. I'm certain people who believe both ways will do 'studies' and present the results. Trouble is, those people tend to skew the results to their belief. People who don't believe EITHER way need to do studies and present the results. WI-FI and cell phones make people lives much simpler and they are happy with that. So no, they don't weant to hear that they may be bad for them. However, people who don't like these things may be performing 'skewed' tests to poison people's minds against these things.

Who knows, but it doesn't make either side just BS, until actually proven otherwise.

airtonix
April 24th, 2007, 09:52 AM
people who lived under neath mobile phone towers thought they were the same as high power transmission towers....thus shouted about dangers of living underneath mobile phone towers.

dont quote me on this but i heard that mobile phone communication involves two type of radio transmission....the low power walke-talkeie type between handset and tower and the nthe other is tower to tower....the tower to twoer is a much stronger signal.

thing is, i also heard that the tower-to-tower signals are only propgating on a horizontal axis. so should those underneath it need to worry as much as those who live on a equal altitude with all the emitters on those mobile-phone-towers? like those people in the hills?

bah anyway....nikola tesla didnt recomend distributing power at 60hz.

it is this fequency that bomabrds us with stupification powers! lol

ps: if your trully concerned, lay down faraday cage wallpaper in your room. put the router somewher else. and have a network cable into your room.

John the train
April 24th, 2007, 10:01 AM
I see that teachers in the UK are asking for a study on the risks ( if any ) of wi-fi, but then with many schools installing wi-fi networks for flexibility they - and their pupils - are in a different position to someone using wi-fi for half an hour a day to check e-mails. It's similar to the different risk level between someone doing the occassional bit of DIY and a full time building worker, you should read the data sheets for some DIY materials! But I do agree with Steven8,there is a lot of skewed reporting, either to create a controversy and sell papers, which these days means deliver readers to ads., or due to personal in-fighting in the science community or personal - and often illogical - bias.