PDA

View Full Version : what is the best way to not make a coaster out of DVD+RWs??

billdotson
April 21st, 2007, 10:19 PM
I have been using some lately and a good bit have been outright ruined. WHat is the best way to prevent this from happening? Should you format the DVD+RW first, and then open up and start a burn? Or can you just start a burn and let the burn process format it for the first time?

Seriously, I now have 8 out of 25 DVD+RWs botched..

macogw
April 21st, 2007, 10:22 PM
if they're RWs you can reuse them after a bad burn, can't you?

muguwmp67
April 21st, 2007, 10:32 PM
I think he means the media was actually ruined. I haven't had this happen to me with dvd-rw's yet. I burn my all my disks using the quick-format or quick-erase options when prompted. If you're doing that already and still trashing your disks, try lowering the burning speed.

Although you shouldn't otherwise use the low-level format options on the media, you might be able to rescue the 'trashed' ones with a low-level format, if you're willing to wait a couple of hours for it to finish.

laredo7mm
April 21st, 2007, 10:49 PM
I have burned at least 900 DVD's and only had a handful of coasters, and all of those were media from a certain manufacturer. I have found that DVD burners have their preferences to which brand of media they like. My burner likes Verbatim media. Try some different brands and see what happens.

Why use RW? They burn slower and your can get 16X DVD +R for $0.30 each. The only time I get errors now is if I try to burn at 18X instead of 16X.

tbroderick
April 21st, 2007, 11:17 PM
If you have been using the 2.6.20 kernel, it could a problem with the PATA SATA change.