PDA

View Full Version : Ventrilo and wine

Pages : [1] 2

endy
June 14th, 2005, 08:55 PM
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've been trying to get ventrilo working for a while. Well today I got it working with no hastle and since a quick search here for 'ventrilo' turned up only one topic I thought I'd post what I found :D

Note: The version of wine I used was from the backports repository, I haven't tried any other version so step 1 may be unnecessary.

1. Add the extra repositores from the Unnoffical Ubuntu Guide:

http://www.ubuntuguide.org/#repositories

2. Install the following packages:

wine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
libwine (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
libwine-alsa (version 0.0.20050419-1~5.04ubp1)
cabextract

3. Download Ventrilo:

http://www.ventrilo.com/download.php

4. Make a directory for ventrilo and extract it:

mkdir ~/ventrilo
cd ~/ventrilo
cabextract /path/to/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe

5. Edit the file:

~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system.ini

And add the following line:

MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm

6. Next you need to get your hands on the windows file 'msgsm32.acm' from an existing windows partition (C:/WINDOWS/system32/msgsm32.acm) and copy it to '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/'.

7. Run vent:

cd ~/ventrilo
wine ./Ventrilo.exe

I hope it works, and I also hope I'm didn't state the obvious :razz:

Snipersnest
June 14th, 2005, 10:04 PM
Good howto man... But I'd perfer to Support Linux....So I use TeamSpeak

www.goteamspeak.com (http://www.goteamspeak.com)

If you look closely on the Vent forums theres a post there saying the guy will never release the Linux version of Vent. Mainly because hes so worried about his precious code. Supoort Linux...use TeamSpeak. Theres a new version of TeamSpeak due out soon...should blow the socks off vent with all the extras they've been talking about.

gil-galad
June 14th, 2005, 11:22 PM
I have gotten ventrillo to work doing exactly that. However, it is very unstable and it doesn't work with some features like hotkeys. Teamspeak works much better.

endy
June 15th, 2005, 12:19 AM
I totally agree, I have used Teamspeak for years and have loved every minute of it but recently everyone I know in clan gaming is using ventrilo.

Btw, I checked out the ventrilo homepage recently and the new forum has a linux section. However there is no news to speak of and you can't post in it but is major progress compared to what used to happen on the ventrilo site (ie mention linux and get your post flamed or ignored).

Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain :)

gil-galad
June 15th, 2005, 01:00 AM
Unfortunately, probably even if we had a GPL product no one would use it so it wouldn't be very useful. If your clan is using ventrillo then you would be stuck. What would be nice is a reverse engineer of ventrillo. :)

artinla
June 27th, 2005, 11:58 PM
I am confused with all of you recommending teamspeak.. As I understand it, teamspeak cannot connect to a ventrilo server. That would mean I can only play on servers which also happen to be running a teamspeak server. Since ventrilo is by far the most prevalent VOIP server, why would I want to do that?

endy
June 30th, 2005, 12:33 PM
I think teamspeak is being recommended as it already has a native linux client, and it's always better to support native software first.

One note on this method is it must be very cpu intensive because everything stutters with ventrilo running when I play in game (tested ET, Quake3, Doom3) and I have an AMD64 3500+ which handles evertything else I throw at it. So this is still not real solution until we get a native binary (or source) for linux.

Snipersnest
June 30th, 2005, 01:11 PM
I think teamspeak is being recommended as it already has a native linux client, and it's always better to support native software first.

One note on this method is it must be very cpu intensive because everything stutters with ventrilo running when I play in game (tested ET, Quake3, Doom3) and I have an AMD64 3500+ which handles evertything else I throw at it. So this is still not real solution until we get a native binary (or source) for linux.
Sounds like you need to change sound cards or drivers... I had that problem with my onboard sound too. But it was the soundcard not the program.

endy
June 30th, 2005, 02:03 PM
Hmm, thats strange cos I'm using a SB Audigy2 which I thought was well supported on linux, and works fine in all games :S

I'll check if wine needs any extra config, any other suggestions would be welcome :)

gil-galad
June 30th, 2005, 09:32 PM
Using ventrillo through wine AND playing a game is VERY cpu intensive. I noticed this because I overclock my cpu to various speeds. Anything less than 2ghz on my computer, and ventrillo stutters like crazy. Just don't use ventrillo.

Soulfly
July 3rd, 2005, 11:08 AM
Using ventrillo through wine AND playing a game is VERY cpu intensive. I noticed this because I overclock my cpu to various speeds. Anything less than 2ghz on my computer, and ventrillo stutters like crazy. Just don't use ventrillo.

Isn't that (your first sentence) a too definite statement to make after just testing it on just one setup (HW-kernel-drivers-sw-configurations) ?

ludzter
July 21st, 2005, 01:01 PM
I need some help, my "push to talk" hotkey only works if i have ventrilo marked, so lets say i am chatting with some friends with x-chat, then i cant talk to the people on the vent server...

gil-galad
July 22nd, 2005, 05:12 AM
I need some help, my "push to talk" hotkey only works if i have ventrilo marked, so lets say i am chatting with some friends with x-chat, then i cant talk to the people on the vent server...
Theres nothing you can do about that. Push to talk only works when the window is in focus.

seethru
August 19th, 2005, 08:09 AM
Theres nothing you can do about that. Push to talk only works when the window is in focus.
not getting any sound from this, I believe I'm missing codec's.

Gnobody
August 19th, 2005, 09:13 PM
Use Gnome Meeting! It is SIP which is the most popular standard of VoIP.

IeU
August 21st, 2005, 10:34 AM
Use Gnome Meeting! It is SIP which is the most popular standard of VoIP.

am i able to conect to ventrilo servers ?

zrothe
October 17th, 2005, 07:16 AM
am i able to conect to ventrilo servers ?

Thats priceless.

zrothe
October 17th, 2005, 07:39 AM
I'm sure I'm not alone when I say I've been trying to get ventrilo working for a while. Well today I got it working with no hastle and since a quick search here for 'ventrilo' turned up only one topic I thought I'd post what I found :D

Note: The version of wine I used was from the backports repository, I haven't tried any other version so step 1 may be unnecessary.

cabextract

3. Download Ventrilo:

mkdir ~/ventrilo
cd ~/ventrilo

5. Edit the file:

6. Next you need to get your hands on the windows file 'msgsm32.acm' from an existing windows partition (C:/WINDOWS/system32/msgsm32.acm) and copy it to '~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/'.

7. Run vent:

cd ~/ventrilo
wine ./Ventrilo.exe

I can now hear people which is GREAT! , but I still cannot talk. When I go under settings and hit monitor sometimes it says

"Codec Initialization failed: Unable to find specified codec."

Other times starts monitoring but it says "Abs Zero" over and over.

zrothe
October 17th, 2005, 07:47 AM
I take that back, I just played around with the devices and its working. Thanks for this guide, helped me alot.

BTW I was able to get key bindings to work.

One for example was I bount insert to 'mute microphone'.

You do it the exact way you would in windows, only thing is the mouse cursor seems to get stuck in the center when you opent he bindings window. I had to tab my way to the key input field and hit insert. Then I just slung the mouse to the right and kept clicking until it finally went into that field. Then just shift+tab untill you get to the top drop down and then select mute microphone then tab to the add button and hit spacebar....wala.

zazeem
October 18th, 2005, 01:13 AM
hi can someone help me, i got ventrilo running fine but i cant talk on it at all, i can only hear others. is there some way to enable o i can speak to them over vent??

zazeem@ubuntu:~/ventrilo$ wine ./Ventrilo.exe
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396}, hres is 0x80040150
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53}, hres is 0x80040150
err:dscapture:widDsCreate DirectSoundCapture flag not set
This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
err:wave:OSS_OpenDevice ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER, 3) failed (Broken pipe)

zrothe
October 18th, 2005, 07:51 AM
hi can someone help me, i got ventrilo running fine but i cant talk on it at all, i can only hear others. is there some way to enable o i can speak to them over vent??

zazeem@ubuntu:~/ventrilo$ wine ./Ventrilo.exe
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} not registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396}, hres is 0x80040150
err:ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
err:ole:create_server class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} not registered
fixme:ole:CoCreateInstance no classfactory created for CLSID {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53}, hres is 0x80040150
err:dscapture:widDsCreate DirectSoundCapture flag not set
This sound card's driver does not support direct access
The (slower) DirectSound HEL mode will be used instead.
err:wave:OSS_OpenDevice ioctl(/dev/dsp, SNDCTL_DSP_SETTRIGGER, 3) failed (Broken pipe)

Undersettings make sure you have the correct inbound and outbound devices slected, also make sure mux is on record and line is on mic.

zazeem
October 23rd, 2005, 05:36 PM
how do i set these? or wqhich onbes do i use and where do i find them??

wastrel
November 6th, 2005, 01:10 AM
Hi, thanks for your help, this worked... to a point.

I have ventrilo up and connecting to server, and it
does the startup sound, but I get no other sound
from it... I have no idea where to check.

It isn't muted, and I've tried both of the options under
"output device" in the voice tab in setup.

I do get an error box when I connect to a server

"Unable to initiate outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec."

Which doesn't seem to relate to hearing sound, necessarily...
I dont have a microphone and don't care about talking.

Any ideas what I should check to fix this?

Snocrash
November 6th, 2005, 06:07 PM
Good howto man... But I'd perfer to Support Linux....So I use TeamSpeak

www.goteamspeak.com (http://www.goteamspeak.com)

If you look closely on the Vent forums theres a post there saying the guy will never release the Linux version of Vent. Mainly because hes so worried about his precious code. Supoort Linux...use TeamSpeak. Theres a new version of TeamSpeak due out soon...should blow the socks off vent with all the extras they've been talking about.

From the Ventrilo Forums....

The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client.

The forum will be activated once the first release is made available.

Thank you for your support and interest in the Linux client.

At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here and possibly some indication on the download page.

--Flag

Not that I don't like or use TeamSpeak....Just an FYI

-Sno

Tartin
November 12th, 2005, 02:54 PM

The Ventrilo / Linux client tech support forum is here pending the official release of the client.

At the current time we do not have an official release date. Once we do it will be posted here and possibly some indication on the download page.

--Flag

-Sno

They are working on the 2.3 version of a native linux client. Most people use the 2.2.4 version of it, since it uses the only free server version. Newer versions won't accept more than 8 connections...

I would gladly pay to use the new versions, but they ain't selling it to any private persons.

Accessed
December 11th, 2005, 12:23 AM
I have managed to get ventrilo to work in SuSe. But I can only hear ppl when the setup
window is open. LOL Unfortunately, I can't talk while the setup window is open. Anyone
have any ideas?

Rizado
April 4th, 2006, 05:46 PM
I have managed to get ventrilo to work in SuSe. But I can only hear ppl when the setup
window is open. LOL Unfortunately, I can't talk while the setup window is open. Anyone
have any ideas?With the latest wine versions PTT works even when ventrilo is not marked, But only when running games in wine, not native.

cesiel1993
April 19th, 2006, 12:19 AM
I cant find the wine directory on my comp but when I do all this:
cd ~/.wine
cd drive_c
cd windows
cd system

it manages to find it. If you know where it could possibly be from the file directory or how to do it from the terminal please tell me :).

-CES

EDIT: FOUND IT ^^^ NVM

cesiel1993
April 19th, 2006, 12:58 AM
Sorry for the double post but this is totally different from my last. Got everything setup but I cant talk because I cant set a hotkey ...is there a way to get around this ?

Rizado
April 19th, 2006, 08:24 PM
Sorry for the double post but this is totally different from my last. Got everything setup but I cant talk because I cant set a hotkey ...is there a way to get around this ?Can't set a hotkey in what way? Are your mouse stuck or something else?
Because if the mouse is stuck you have to press the mouse and tab your way to use Directinput to detect hotkey and disable it.

cesiel1993
April 20th, 2006, 01:58 AM
I AM SO STUPID AHHH... thx

Problem, gets stuck in the middle of the ventrilo screen

Kmujo
May 2nd, 2006, 06:42 PM
hrm, i was fortunate enough to be a former linix user, and so happen to come back to linux using ubuntu. i've managed to setup wine, but the biggest issue seems to be that i cannot get winecfg to detect my "SBLive! Value [CT4831] (ALSA)" audio device. it seems to work fine natively, but when trying to get OSS/Esound/ALSA or NSS to find the device have just seem to baffle me, and this is the problem why i cannot speak running ventrilo under wine. the weird thing is, i can hear the connecting sounds in ventrilo but unable to hear people talk. also when going to ventrilo setup to select the default input/output audio device, it doesnt detect it.

side note: i noticed ubuntu is finding an alternate native audio driver that i dont know what exactly its for (assuming emulation) "SigmaTel STAC9721,23 (OSS Mixer)"

so if anyone can tell me how i can get wine to detect my SBLive! i think that'll solve my issue and possibly alot others.

-X-
May 24th, 2006, 12:14 AM
If your mouse gets stuck in the middle when you're at the options screen try pushing tab a couple of times and then space to deselect "used DirectInput to detect hotkey"

Iskander
July 29th, 2006, 09:31 PM
I need to know how to install those packages he mentioned in step 1, I new to Ubuntu and Im pretty good at it( At Least thats what I think ). Ive installed wine properlly I hope...

kingvicious
August 7th, 2006, 05:07 AM
i get this error when i tryed what you had to do

kingvicious@kingvicious:~/ventrilo$ wine ./ventrilo-2.3.0-Windows-i386.exe
err:module:import_dll Library msi.dll (which is needed by L"c:\\windows\\system32\\msiexec.exe") not found
err:module:LdrInitializeThunk Main exe initialization for L"c:\\windows\\system32\\msiexec.exe" failed, status c0000135
kingvicious@kingvicious:~/ventrilo$
n'

any ideas?

Catewilliams
August 13th, 2006, 06:03 PM
I'm having a problem with re-installing. For awhile, I couldn't hear anything on Vent, but everyone else could hear me. So when I couldn't fix it with my sound settings, I tried to Uninstall it.

But now, when I click 'download' on the vent website, I open the file with wine and it doesn't actually install Vent, either I can remove it, repair it or update it. Any ideas why this is happening/how I could fix it?

dom02
August 15th, 2006, 07:36 PM
I've gotten it to run but when I join a server ventrilo freezes. People see me connected to the server so it must be freezing right after I connect. Anyone else have this problem?

Granden
August 19th, 2006, 01:11 AM
Hi,
I have successfully setup ventrilo this way you describe in the first post.
But I got a problem after a few minutes connection time. When I speak the other dont hear me. The time for this to happen warries. So I belive it might be something about if Im quiet for a while that happens. But I dont know.

Im glad for any help because its getting a irritating not being able to speak and have to disconnect and connect again.

/granden

Catewilliams
August 22nd, 2006, 11:40 AM
I've gotten it to run but when I join a server ventrilo freezes. People see me connected to the server so it must be freezing right after I connect. Anyone else have this problem?

I had this problem a few times, and I never found a sure fire way to fix it. All I had to do was disconnect and re connect, and if that didn't work, Un-install and Re-install. It didn't talk long, but it wasn't the best way to go about it. Also, try repairing it. If you open up the ventrilo set up file, it should have 3 options to either Repair, Remove or Modify. - Hope this helps!

Intangir
September 3rd, 2006, 08:58 AM
ive had the same problem yall have had

when i use alsa i sound fine, and i can hear fine, but after 3-10 minutes my outgoing craps out, sometimes if i hit setup it works again for a few more minutes, sometimes it doesnt fix it and i have to restart it, sometimes it just locks up completely...

if i use oss i can hear fine for hours without issue, but when i talk everyone else hears me as sounding 'really fast and broken up' its like its taking the samples from recording and playing them to fast (and running out and breaking up)

so.. i have to choose between alsa - good quality, no stability
or oss - good stability, terrible input quality

ive been using oss so everyone always complain i sound like a robot on crack

qwew
September 4th, 2006, 01:29 PM
I've been trying to get Ventrilo to work, but I can't seem to get past the problem with the codecs. I've downloaded the .acm file that is needed, put it in the right directory and edited the system.ini file to include it, but Vent still tells me it's unable to initialise the GSM codec.

Any ideas where I'm going wrong here?

vitamindew
October 16th, 2006, 04:54 AM
I just installed ubuntu and im trying to get ventrilo to work. I dont want to set up a server I just want to connect to one. Do I still need to do all those steps with re-naming things?

betadan
October 28th, 2006, 06:53 PM
i would use team spek but it's kinfa hard to convince 150 othe people to use it was well just cuz i use linux

np1
November 1st, 2006, 06:33 PM
Well it seems that I was not only one who had problems with no hotkey working when not playing games in wine.
Well here is program to provide workaround for this. Basically it listens keypresses from event device and sends them to Ventrilo's window.
You can get it from http://np1.pp.fi/ventriloctrl/
Also remember to check for updates :-)

Edit: Ouh btw its source code so you need gcc etc.

Edit2: btw here is script to install Ventrilo http://kanava.org/~hifi/linuxventrilo.sh

P.S. I still have problem with hearing only 1 speaker at time even with hardware mixing or other ppl muted, I wonder if there is a solution..

kr0n1x
November 5th, 2006, 01:03 AM
i tried the linuxventrilo.sh but doesn't work...

pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~$ cd Desktop/
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ chmod 755 linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ ./linuxventrilo.sh
./linuxventrilo.sh: 9: Syntax error: "(" unexpected
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod 755 linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo ./linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$

what is the problem? why doesn't work?](*,)

Katryx
November 20th, 2006, 03:20 AM
i tried the linuxventrilo.sh but doesn't work...

pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~$ cd Desktop/
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ chmod 755 linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ ./linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo chmod 755 linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$ sudo ./linuxventrilo.sh
pasquale@pasquale-desktop:~/Desktop$

what is the problem? why doesn't work?](*,)

Here's a wild guess, but maybe there's a misplaced "(" on the ninth line of the script?

kr0n1x
November 20th, 2006, 01:43 PM
i found another archive with ventrilo already compiled..i need only to do:
cd ventrilofolder
wine ventrilo

thx anyway for reply;)

qrm
November 20th, 2006, 10:27 PM
the program for forwarding keypresses to ventrilo works perfectly :> thanks a lot

surndliha
November 21st, 2006, 12:07 AM
Well it seems that I was not only one who had problems with no hotkey working when not playing games in wine.
Well here is program to provide workaround for this. Basically it listens keypresses from event device and sends them to Ventrilo's window.

Edit2: btw here is script to install Ventrilo http://kanava.org/~hifi/linuxventrilo.sh

P.S. I still have problem with hearing only 1 speaker at time even with hardware mixing or other ppl muted, I wonder if there is a solution..

Dude this is the SHIIT :) tnx alot it works perfectly with my sb live 5.1 digital (SB0220) card with hardware mixing.
Can't wait for you to add mouse support tho :) Been using 4 years mouse middle button for talk button. Any info or news when it's gonna happen? a month, two, a year?

xstaticxgpx
November 24th, 2006, 10:31 PM
i tried this, but when i go to setup under ventrilo i get a

"wavOutGetDevCaps failed." and then my mouse starts freaking out and i cant do anything, any reason why that would happen? But it does open setup, and i can join servers and i have sound... i just want to be able to change my setup and my push to talk

kr0n1x
November 24th, 2006, 11:08 PM
disconnect from the server, set your bind etc...and next try to connect in server and check mouse problem:) i had your equal problem yesterday..

xstaticxgpx
November 24th, 2006, 11:43 PM
it doesnt matter if im connected to a server or not.

Darkdelusions
December 4th, 2006, 06:49 PM
I am having the same issue where my mouse freaks out connected or not connected

angryservoguy
December 13th, 2006, 12:32 PM

Doesn't work for me, message I get is

Could not find Ventrilo window. Is Ventrilo running?

Despite the fact I am speaking on Vent

deboring21
December 15th, 2006, 03:28 AM
When I go under settings and hit monitor sometimes it says

"Codec Initialization failed: Unable to find specified codec."

Other times starts monitoring but it says "Abs Zero" over and over.

I get that same message and I messed around with the device settings but still can't get it working, any ideas?

YaseenKriel
December 18th, 2006, 12:10 PM
i am unable to install libwine-alsa option? how do i install it? Everything else installs fine.

Sammi
December 18th, 2006, 06:37 PM
i am unable to install libwine-alsa option? how do i install it? Everything else installs fine.
Don't quote me on it, but I think that the package you are referring to has been incorporated into the main Wine package, so you should be fine :)

This howto is old. Someone(else than me) should update it :rolleyes:

YaseenKriel
December 19th, 2006, 08:17 AM
thanx for the info Sammi, i used the info on wine site to get ventrilo installed, seems to be working
will test it tonight.

http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3936&iTestingId=5901

mb108
December 30th, 2006, 11:19 PM
Anybody tried this in Ubuntu?
http://www.voice-overlay.info.ms/

It will start up in wine and will recognize that vent is up also, but when I connect to a server it dies.

Just wonderin.

Rizado
January 3rd, 2007, 02:10 PM
Doesn't work for me, message I get is

Despite the fact I am speaking on VentIf you use VentriloMIX it won't work. If you look at the ventrilo window you'll se it's called ventrilo 2.1.4 or something like that instead of just Ventrilo.

asnd16
January 7th, 2007, 02:29 AM
I can get it running but then I get the GSM codec error and I am unable to do chat but I am able to veiw who is talking but unable to hear or speak. I can do the comments thats about it. ](*,)

asnd16
January 7th, 2007, 03:13 AM
I can get it running with wine but as soon as I connect to the server I get a codec error and am unable to hear others talking nor am I able to talk in return. ](*,)

Rizado
February 11th, 2007, 10:34 AM
I can get it running with wine but as soon as I connect to the server I get a codec error and am unable to hear others talking nor am I able to talk in return. ](*,)You're probably missing the codec the server uses. Follow the instructions here: http://appdb.winehq.org/appview.php?iVersionId=3936
It's the ones about "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" you want.

However I have a problem. If two people speak at the same time I only hear the first one. Apperantly this can be fixed by checking "Use DirectSound" but this is only implemented in 2.3.0+ and I have to use 2.1.4 because of the user limitation. My guess the problem I have is this one http://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=5924. Got any ideas what I can do?

zayla
February 24th, 2007, 05:23 AM
I'm on a mac and wanted push to talk to work. So I wrote something using bits from the little program that fixed it for linux and other stuff. The code is called "relay" and you can get it at:

http://www.mediamax.com/attercob

LSparky
March 1st, 2007, 01:27 AM
im gettin some errors
this shows up in the console
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:862:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:556:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet
fixme:msg:pack_message msg 14 (WM_ERASEBKGND) not supported yet

ventrilo is way to buggy

i was getting a wave out error when i clicked on setup
my friends cant hear me
now when i click on setup ventrilo dissapears

i think im going to switch to team speak!

LSparky
March 1st, 2007, 01:53 AM
somebody reverse engineer a version of ventrilo for linux.
so that we dont have to use ventrilos program in wine!
but so we can still connect to the ventrilo network, that would be nice.

Sammi
March 1st, 2007, 02:34 AM
somebody reverse engineer a version of ventrilo for linux.
so that we dont have to use ventrilos program in wine!
but so we can still connect to the ventrilo network, that would be nice.
I think you need to appreciate how much work that is. You are asking for very much.

RAdams
March 9th, 2007, 09:54 AM
This solution works great for me... EXCEPT that even with my mic cranked all the way up in the system control panel, and outbound and mic level all the way up in Ventrilo Setup, I'm STILL too quiet! What should I do about this? Also, none of the event sounds play, except the one when I disconnect from a server.

Sammi
March 9th, 2007, 12:38 PM
In your system tray volume control application you should be able to enable something called "boost" or something. Make sure you first go to Edit -> Preferences and enable everything there, so you are sure you can see all options.

RAdams
March 13th, 2007, 07:08 PM
In your system tray volume control application you should be able to enable something called "boost" or something. Make sure you first go to Edit -> Preferences and enable everything there, so you are sure you can see all options.

I'm using Kubuntu, hence, KDE.

Innu
March 20th, 2007, 02:08 PM
I have problem.

My voice is like robot if server uses codec GSM >= 11025hz. 8000hz is alright and Speex codec is alright too.

This error comes with GSM >= 11025hz codec.

willskills
March 20th, 2007, 02:37 PM
I would really like to know how their linux client is coming along....... I want to be able to use Ventrilo & have WoW sound at the same time.

This, in theory, should work through 'aoss' - but it doesn't. Start Ventrilo and it locks out your soundcard. Start WoW first, and then of course Ventrilo can't open your card - so, same problem.

If anyone actually has Vent running & game sound of any kind - please get in touch!

I didn't need to install ventrilo control either - I have push to talk bound to Mouse3 - works like a charm =)

Rizado
March 22nd, 2007, 07:34 PM
I would really like to know how their linux client is coming along....... I want to be able to use Ventrilo & have WoW sound at the same time.They aren't working on a linux client. It has been "under development" for years and it's safe to say they wont start until maybe when teamspeak 3 is released. They probably say a client is on the way because some server admins might want a cross platform solution and might choose teamspeak instead. But now a linux version is "soon" to be released and they can use that aswell.

Sammi
March 22nd, 2007, 08:51 PM
I'm really looking forward to TeamSpeak 3. It's going to kick Ventrilo's butt.

Check out this quote from the official TeamSpeak FAQ (http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=faq&id=2&item=58#q58):

All platforms (Windows, Linux and Mac) will be 100% feature compatible and feature rich so regardless of which platform you use, all new features will be available across all platforms.Here's a development blog that explains a lot about TeamSpeak 3:
http://www.goteamspeak.com/index.php?page=blog

mad chey
March 29th, 2007, 01:08 PM
as im a total newbie to linux and ubuntu, and therefore am not ready to do too much changing of code etc, i cannot use wine on my pc due to it being 64bit

so i cheated and am using ventrillo thru qemu, basically create an image, install windows on that image and then install and use vent, some tweaking of volumes etc to get sound right but tbh its a lot less of a headache than trying to understand all these changes to coding etc

maybe one day i will be more technically advanced and will understand what im doing to my pc instead of just aimlessley following how toos and not knowing if im about to blow my pc up

pls dont flame this, im just trying to offer a workable alternative to someone like me who is a total newbie and finds the how toos for cedega installation confusing and far to complicated for their level atm

SBFC
March 30th, 2007, 03:21 AM
They aren't working on a linux client. It has been "under development" for years and it's safe to say they wont start until maybe when teamspeak 3 is released. They probably say a client is on the way because some server admins might want a cross platform solution and might choose teamspeak instead. But now a linux version is "soon" to be released and they can use that aswell.

Aye. My friends all use Vent (despite the fact I'm personally running a TS server) and so went to their site to see if they had a Linux client. I saw the 'in development' and was impressed/hopefull.

I then went to their forums and noticed the __locked__ Linux section was created back in 2005. Meh.

dutchman72
March 30th, 2007, 03:47 PM
If you dig deep enough into the forum for Ventrilo, you will find the authors comment on making a vent client for Linux. It's not going to happen, he does not want to open source his code. That is why it has said under development for years.

Sammi
March 31st, 2007, 04:35 AM
They only say it's in development to shut up people who ask about it.

Jovec
April 5th, 2007, 02:21 AM
If you dig deep enough into the forum for Ventrilo, you will find the authors comment on making a vent client for Linux. It's not going to happen, he does not want to open source his code. That is why it has said under development for years.

It's the communities fault for running server apps for Vent (and games) that don't provide a native linux client.

desiredreality
April 16th, 2007, 04:27 AM
when i run apt-get install i get this error is there another way like a way to build it from the sorce
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree... Done
Some packages could not be installed. This may mean that you have
requested an impossible situation or if you are using the unstable
distribution that some required packages have not yet been created
or been moved out of Incoming.

Since you only requested a single operation it is extremely likely that
the package is simply not installable and a bug report against
that package should be filed.
The following information may help to resolve the situation:

The following packages have unmet dependencies:
wine: Depends: libasound2 (> 1.0.11) but 1.0.10-2ubuntu4 is to be installed
Depends: libc6 (>= 2.4-1) but 2.3.6-0ubuntu20.4 is to be installed
Depends: libgcc1 (>= 1:4.1.1-12) but 1:4.0.3-1ubuntu5 is to be installed Depends: libgphoto2-2 (>= 2.2.1) but 2.1.6-5.2ubuntu8 is to be installed Depends: libgphoto2-port0 (>= 2.2.1) but 2.1.6-5.2ubuntu8 is to be installed
Depends: libstdc++6 (>= 4.1.1-12) but 4.0.3-1ubuntu5 is to be installed
Depends: libxml2 (>= 2.6.26) but 2.6.24.dfsg-1ubuntu1 is to be installed Depends: libxslt1.1 (>= 1.1.17) but 1.1.15-1ubuntu1 is to be installed
E: Broken packages

and when i put in the version it cant find it ?

Jovec
May 10th, 2007, 03:48 AM
Posting in case someone else may find this useful.

My Ventrilo works under Wine, with WoW running, and using the PTT key. I am not using aoss or the PTT script/hack. I should also note that the Linux Teamspeak client works fine for me with WoW, as long as I start TS first.

This probably won't be helpful for most of you experiencing other problems, but the error I was getting was "Unable to CreateDirectSoundBuffer" when trying to talk or use Test mode when WoW was running. When WoW was not running, Vent worked fine for me.

Vent version: ventrilo-2.3.0-Windows-i386.exe
Wine version: wine-0.9.36
WoW version: Latest (obvioulsy)

Under System --> Preferences --> Sound, all options on the Devices tab set to ALSA.

The trick is in the loading, allowing Vent to create the necessary input buffer before WoW does (which I don't think WoW needs anyway).

1. Load Vent
2. Connect to your sever
3. Go to Setup, and start Test mode (leave it activated)
4. Start WoW
5. After WoW loads, cancel Test mode and close the settings.
6. Vent and WoW should be playing nicely.

My Vent settings are as follows: "Use DirectSound" checked wherever it appears. Hardware input Mixing set to None. "Use DirectInput to detect Hotkey' unchecked/disabled. My PTT key is Mouse3. I also followed the Vent steps listed on the Wine App DB.

My Sound settings in winecfg are set to OSS.

bluewagon
May 15th, 2007, 09:18 PM
how do i install ventrilctrl, i really couldnt figure it out from the readme, all it said was type ./runctrl.sh , but it doesnt tell me where to put the file, and when i do try that i get
./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: not found
or ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: no permission (or something like that)

hikaricore
May 16th, 2007, 01:20 AM
how do i install ventrilctrl, i really couldnt figure it out from the readme, all it said was type ./runctrl.sh , but it doesnt tell me where to put the file, and when i do try that i get
./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: not found
or ./runctrl.sh: 9: ./ventriloctrl: no permission (or something like that)

Updated ventriloctrl with instructions thanks to calebgray: http://www.calebgray.com/uploads/ventriloctrl/ventriloctrl-0.5.zip ~08/23/2008

*** The following is ancient and outdated from over a year ago and likely no longer works I'm sorry but I won't be answering private messages about my walkthrough. *** ~06/21/2008

--Incase anyone else stumbles upon this post,
--You can download ventriloctrl here: http://np1.pp.fi/ventriloctrl/ventriloctrl-0.3.tar.gz
--I've also mirrored it here just incase the creator's site is down: http://hikaricore.googlepages.com/ventriloctrl-0.3.tar.gz

You need to compile ventriloctrl to run it.

Direct from the README file:

Ventriloctrl
-------------
Ventriloctrl is program to send keypresses to Ventrilo client even
if it is not on top.

Requirements
------------
Event Device included in kernel
Xorg(Xfree?) development libraries
Reading rights for event device

Compiling
---------
make

So you will first need to install build-essential if you never have:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then the development libraries for Xorg (this should be enough):

sudo apt-get install xorg-dev

Then run:

make

From the directory you extracted ventrilocontrol into.

it should output something like this:

[hikaricore@devistate:~/ventriloctrl-0.3 (.6 Mb)]$ make
gcc -Wall -O3 -o ventriloctrl ventriloctrl.c -lX11
gcc -Wall -O3 -o findkey findkey.c

If get an error, let me know I'll try and figure out what dev files I missed.

Now for configuring it, this part is fun.

You will need to find out what device your system uses for input. For example on my system it's:

/dev/input/event1

Yours may differ. So you need to run

sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event#

Replacing the # with numbers ranging from 0 to 6, example:

sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event0

Upon running this command press some keys on your keyboard, if you don't see any output in the terminal hit Ctrl+C to exit the program and try the next number. Like I said it varries.

ok I guess I was a little vague with this part, so I'm giving you an example of what it should look like:

[hikaricore@devistate:!]$ sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event2
key 28 state 0
key 97 state 1
key 97 state 0
key 54 state 1
key 54 state 0

Above is the output of findkey, showing: Enterkey (up), Right Ctrl (down,up) Right Shift (down,up)

These key numbers will vary from keyboard to keyboard.

But for example if I wanted to use my right Ctrl key for ventriloctrl I would use the number 54 in the following step of the setup. If you run findkey and only see the text you're typing out on the keyboard, you need to move on to the next device. ^_^

Once you find the correct /dev/input/event# press the key you want to use for vent, remember the number it outputs in the terminal, then you'll need to edit the runctrl.sh file.

pico runctrl.sh

Which will look something like this:

# Config, see README for instructions
EVENT_DEVICE="/dev/input/event1"
INPUT_KEY="97"

# Don't touch
./ventriloctrl $EVENT_DEVICE $INPUT_KEY

Replace the input_key with the number from the key you chose for your vent key, then replace (if needed) the /dev/input/event# with the one you found to work on your system.

Hit Ctrl+o to save. Then Ctrl+x to close pico.

Now for the tricky part.

Ventrilo Control requires the ability to read and write to the device you've chosen.

There are a number of ways to do this but I'll tell you the one that will work and stay working.

We're going to write a udev rule so that the group ventrilo has read/write access to your event device.

sudo groupadd ventrilo
sudo gpasswd -a YOURUSERNAME ventrilo

Replace YOURUSERNAME with the username you plan to be using on Ubuntu at the time of running vent.

Now to write the udev rule.

sudo pico /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules

This may bring up a new blank file, this is pretty much expected in newer versions of Ubuntu.
But no worries, time to move on.

In this file, type or paste the following:
(Replacing the ??? with the number of the /dev/input/event# device you found to work, for example if it was /dev/input/event2, replace ??? with the number 2.)

KERNEL=="event[???]", NAME="input/%k", GROUP="ventrilo", MODE="0660"

Hit Ctrl+o to save and Ctrl+x to exit pico.

One last step, we need to reload udev.

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

Now you should be able to run the file in your ventriloctrl directory called runctrl.sh.

./runctrl.sh

You will need to have vent running before you start this script.

If all goes well you should be able to go into the vent settings and set your key, with the key you chose to use. It will probably show as the A key when you hit that key, but this is the default of the ventriloctrl program and I'm not even going to begin telling you about modifying that. :P In most cases this should work perfectly.

Let me know if you have any problems.

--Aaron

Sources used for figuring out this damn mess:
random thoughts : by Imago (http://imago.devinity.de/)
Writing udev rules (http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html)
Incase anyone needs to further understand the udev segment.

misfitpierce
May 16th, 2007, 05:59 AM
Nice and ty ill try it out in a bit

Rajia
May 16th, 2007, 09:13 PM
I'm doing great with this until I get up to the findkey command: command not found. Thoughts?

Rajia
May 16th, 2007, 11:09 PM
Thanks, Hikari--this is fantastic.

Easy enough for even a newb like me to get running in only . . . 4 or 5 hours. #-o

FragMonkey
May 22nd, 2007, 05:14 PM
Alright so I got my ventrilo working! I had basically the same problems all you guys had, but after tinkering for about 6 hours, I finally got something that works well!
Go to my post and scroll down to my last reply to see the settings I used:
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=449999

And to add to that:
If you want to be able to get sound from other apps besides ventrilo (as using my settings will only let sound come from ventrilo) then you would right click the ventrilo icon and click properties, and form there go to (I believe, as I'm not at my pc right now) the launcher tab and add "aoss" before the word "wine" in the laucnh parameters. I hope that makes sense.
Alternativiley, if you launch Ventrilo through the terminal, you would add "aoss" before "wine" so it would be "aoss wine path-to-exe"

I hope all that made sense, as I am typing this from school on a Windows XP.

Electricboots
May 26th, 2007, 07:59 AM
I've been googling and searching left and right, I cannot seem to get this working properly...

For the sound, I am using the motherboard nForce3 250Gb AC'97 Audio Controller...

winecfg is setup like this:

Only OSS is checked
Hardware Acceleration: Full
Driver Emulation: unchecked

In System->Preferences->Sound, I have ALSA selected in all the dropdowns in the Devices tab.

I deleted .asound.rc from my home dir.

I start WoW by doing:

aoss wine /home/eboots/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/World\ of\ Warcraft/WoW.exe

I start Ventrilo by doing:

aoss wine /home/eboots/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe

... but I still cannot get output sound to work in both apps at the same time, only the one in the foreground will output any sound... :(

I opened a terminal screen, I manually went to the directory where World of Warcraft is installed, and then I did 'aoss wine WoW.exe'. I could see the following error in the middle of all the "fixme" things:

err:wave:wodOpen fragment size set failed, size is now 8192
Your Open Sound System driver did not let us configure small enough sound fragments.
This may cause delays and other problems in audio playback with certain applications.

I started Ventrilo the same way, I did not see any error messages (apart from the usual 'fixme' things).

Also, could the following wine error message explain anything? Could this be related to the fact that aoss doesn't seem to let two apps output sound at the same time?

ALSA lib ../../../src/pcm/pcm_dmix.c:864:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
(I got the error above when trying Ventrilo alone while winecfg has only ALSA checked)

Rellin
May 26th, 2007, 06:43 PM
If all goes well you should be able to go into the vent settings and set your key, with the key you chose to use. It will probably show as the A key when you hit that key, but this is the default of the ventriloctrl program and I'm not even going to begin telling you about modifying that. :P In most cases this should work perfectly.
I got all of the other stuff done, but never experienced this. Also, it doesn't work for me :(.

hikaricore
May 26th, 2007, 09:31 PM
I got all of the other stuff done, but never experienced this. Also, it doesn't work for me :(.

perhaps you missed a step or didn't launch the modified bash file after completing configuration?

the steps are near flawless so saying it doesn't work for me is just a little vague.

Rellin
May 27th, 2007, 05:06 AM
Actually it turns out what I quoted was key! I entered "A" as my push to talk key (although I use HOME) and now it works! GREAT!!! <3 <3 <3

EDIT: NICE!! Also works for LCTRL which is exactly what I wanted. You are the best.

Drooling_Sheep
May 29th, 2007, 06:20 AM
Nevermind, I got it working

http://gentoo-wiki.com/HOWTO_Ventrilo_Via_Wine

That is helpful if your mic doesn't work.

Cappy
June 7th, 2007, 05:55 AM
I've successfully setup ventrilo a few times with the use of the sidenet script:
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WineForAMD64#head-aa2244ea3332a3e6c4aea59069ae827a2fed3469
Sidenet is the only way I've gotten it to work on my computers. I think sidenet is only for fresh Wine installs because it resets the registry and such.

I am using ALSA, 44100 (or whatever the second from the top is), and Full Hardware. I don't think the settings here matter very much because anything I change still lets Ventrilo run.

OSS makes me sound "like a robot" so I don't use it. The "robot voice" can also be caused by packet loss if your Vent server is running UDP.
Voice Activation works perfectly too.

Direct Input on the output so I can hear multiple voices. Weird little bug, I have to press Setup (and then press Okay) whenever I go into a Vent Server to begin hearing multiple voices.

rivethead
June 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Ive had Vent running in previous releases of Ubuntu, and ive been trying very hard to get it to work with 7.04 im not sure whats going wrong this time. Im on a Dell XPS gen2 laptop with Sigmatel Sound, I have my Winecfg exactly as the faq states and my vent settings are the way the faqs state aswell. Ive copied over the correct ACM file and added it to wine's system.ini. I have mic volume up and mic boost checked and in my system preferences under sound everythings set to ALSA the way it should be.

When i load ventrilo it loads up fine But when i click setup i get the errors,

WavOutGetDevCaps failed.
WavInGetDevCaps failed.

And when attempting to test the audio nothing happens at all. Never records audio. And when i click on Monitor, it repetitively spits out Abs Zero in ventrilo.

Not sure why i cant get it running this time arround, ive had it working fine before with minimal effort. Am i completely missing somthing ?

Cappy
June 19th, 2007, 06:03 AM
Do you have your sound card selected in the "Hardware Input Mixer (Optional)"? You should select any options in those 3 fields that you have a choice of.

Turn "DirectSound" on for input and see if that works.
You can also try OSS in winecfg.

It takes some playing are with the settings in Ventrilo itself mostly so don't worry too much about the winecfg settings other than just having ALSA/OSS off or on.

amic
June 20th, 2007, 08:26 AM
I've followed all the instructions to a T, however, even after copying over the msgsm32.acm to the wine system folder, and editing the .ini, I continue to get the error where it says it's unable to find the GSM codec

dafreak
June 21st, 2007, 06:09 AM
Ok I've followed all of the steps to run this program and I just can not get it to work at all. I should note that while this program is running it does not seem to capture the keystrokes even though I gave it the necessary permissions as described in the installation post. The only thing I did out of order was to install the xorg-dev files so after I did that I did another make. The program runs fine but if I'm playing EVE it does not capture my keystrokes. I'm using a Saitek Gaming Keyboard Pro if that makes a difference. At first I tried using the command pad (event6) but I went with using the keyboard itself and event3 instead. Is it possible using xbindkeys to somehow get this to work with my mx610 side buttons at all? That's what I'd really like to do.

phyrex1an
July 3rd, 2007, 03:04 PM

Thanks for the great guide, it helped me a lot. I still have one problem thought, it seems as I don't have permission to listen to the input device.

./runctrl.sh
have no effect while

sudo ./runctrl.sh
works perfectly.

I have created the ventrilo group and added myself to it.

sudo groupadd ventrilo
sudo gpasswd -a phyrex1an ventrilo

This is how my runctrl.sh look:

#!/bin/sh

INPUT_KEY="97"

# Don't touch

This is how my /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules look:

KERNEL=="event[1]", NAME="input/%k", GROUP="ventrilo", MODE="0660"

I have restarted udev, I think that the /dev/input/event1 thing existed before I made the new udev rule so it's maybe possible that there is another rule that overwrite the one I made?

hikaricore
July 3rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
There shouldn't be a problem running runctrl as a normal user after the permissions are set.

There could reasonably be a udev rule overriding it, but I'm not sure.

Please post the output of:

ls -la /dev/input/event1

p.s. /dev/input/event* always exists ^_^ we're just giving you read/write permission to it for ventctrl to work properly.

phyrex1an
July 3rd, 2007, 05:33 PM
p.s. /dev/input/event* always exists ^_^ we're just giving you read/write permission to it for ventctrl to work properly.
Ah, did know that, obviously :)

Anyway, I just did a full reboot and that seemed to solve it. I feel pretty stupid right now for not trying that before asking for help. I'm pretty sure that I did restart udev however so I dunno why it did a difference.
Sorry for the trouble and thanks for helping.

jadugartir
July 7th, 2007, 06:53 AM
for many of us, teamspeak is not an option if we are an active member of an endgame raiding guild. i do not know of anyone on my whole server who uses teamspeak.

my guild does 25 man raids almost every day of the week so getting ventrilo to work on ubuntu is a high priority.

where do i download those packages that are listed? synaptic didnt have them

hikaricore
July 7th, 2007, 07:21 AM
By packages I'm guessing you mean WINE?

Th1r1on
July 7th, 2007, 02:25 PM
Actually it turns out what I quoted was key! I entered "A" as my push to talk key (although I use HOME) and now it works! GREAT!!! <3 <3 <3

EDIT: NICE!! Also works for LCTRL which is exactly what I wanted. You are the best.

Ok This is my 1st post in the forums guys and sorry for being a noob for starters :)

I followed your perfect guide step by step hikaricore but I still see my ventrillo not getting the job done if I havent clicked on it ... I was thinking maybe that the mapping of LCTRL maybe wasnt supposed to work but as I see Rellin manages to use it nicely that way :(
Also I restarted my pc and then I had to sudo the ventriloctrl :

sudo ./runctrl.sh

and I get normally

Ventrilo Control v0.3-SVN for Linux by Purkka Productions
================================================== ===
WARNING: This program reads DIRECTLY your keyboard!
You need correct permissions to read the
event device.
Window selected. Please test pressing the key to talk before going to play.

Use CTRL-C to quit.

but nothing happens there... I am Perfectly sure I have the right event ( event1) and also the right mapping for my key ( Left Control = 29 , for me that is ) any suggestions ? :(
Thanx in advance for your time guys!

EDIT :

ls -la /dev/input/event1
crw-rw---- 1 root ventrilo 13, 65 2007-07-07 16:06 /dev/input/event1

Just Because I saw you asked another person for it

scwoodal
July 7th, 2007, 02:33 PM
Ah, did know that, obviously :)

Anyway, I just did a full reboot and that seemed to solve it. I feel pretty stupid right now for not trying that before asking for help. I'm pretty sure that I did restart udev however so I dunno why it did a difference.
Sorry for the trouble and thanks for helping.

I had to log in/out after I added myself to the ventrilo group as I don't think it takes effect for your current session.

scwoodal
July 7th, 2007, 02:55 PM
Would anyone know how to get the left "ALT" key to work for push to talk in Ventrilo? It recognizes the left ALT key when I press it in the Ventrilo setup, but when I try to test it out and talk it doesn't work.

If I set my push to talk key to any letter (ie T) it works and people can hear me, but using the left ALT key does not.

Any ideas?

Th1r1on
July 7th, 2007, 03:22 PM
Would anyone know how to get the left "ALT" key to work for push to talk in Ventrilo? It recognizes the left ALT key when I press it in the Ventrilo setup, but when I try to test it out and talk it doesn't work.

If I set my push to talk key to any letter (ie T) it works and people can hear me, but using the left ALT key does not.

Any ideas?

That's what I found out right this moment ! I changed my key to "A" for example and it works perfectly but it wont do any good for games like wow :(

I mean having a key like : ctrl . alt would be better but as I see it you can only get a letter ... (maybe keyboard incompatibility ? :S )

Sugi
July 7th, 2007, 08:53 PM
i can't use my mic on vent. is there some kind of setup i need to do to fix this? maybe through winecfg?

hikaricore
July 7th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I don't understand why people are still launching runctrl with sudo.... did you read my guide? honestly?

And btw you're not supposed to use the A key for real... it is the default key remaped by the ventrilctrl app to whatever key you setup.

Ziggyz
July 9th, 2007, 03:47 AM
Where do you add step 5, and how would you dp step 6?

[mci]

MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv

MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv

avivideo=mciavi32.dll

cdaudio=mcicda.dll

sequencer=mciseq.dll

vcr=mcivisca.drv

; videodisc=mcipionr.drv

waveaudio=mciwave.dll

[drivers32]

MSACM.imaadpcm=imaadp32.acm

MSACM.msadpcm=msadp32.acm

MSACM.msg711=msg711.acm

MSACM.winemp3=winemp3.acm

vidc.MRLE=msrle32.dll

vidc.MSVC=msvidc32.dll

vidc.CVID=iccvid.dll

; vidc.IV50=ir50_32.dll

; vidc.IV31=ir32_32.dll

; vidc.IV32=ir32_32.dll

madman1337
July 11th, 2007, 06:05 PM
hmm for some reason libwine will not install. it keeps giving me an error that says that it has broken packages, but then when I downloaded just the deb's from other websites it still fails to install and doesn't give me an error at all. and so if I cant get libwine to install I can't get libwine-alsa to install :(

dahli.llama
July 15th, 2007, 10:38 PM
Ok This is my 1st post in the forums guys and sorry for being a noob for starters :)

I followed your perfect guide step by step hikaricore but I still see my ventrillo not getting the job done if I havent clicked on it ... I was thinking maybe that the mapping of LCTRL maybe wasnt supposed to work but as I see Rellin manages to use it nicely that way :(
Also I restarted my pc and then I had to sudo the ventriloctrl :

sudo ./runctrl.sh

and I get normally

event device.

Use CTRL-C to quit.

but nothing happens there... I am Perfectly sure I have the right event ( event1) and also the right mapping for my key ( Left Control = 29 , for me that is ) any suggestions ? :(
Thanx in advance for your time guys!

EDIT :

ls -la /dev/input/event1
crw-rw---- 1 root ventrilo 13, 65 2007-07-07 16:06 /dev/input/event1

Just Because I saw you asked another person for it

I am having the same trouble and I am doing the exact same thing. The Vent CTRL script just doesn't seem to do anything for me.

#!/bin/sh

INPUT_KEY="34"

# Don't touch

That is my runctrl.sh file. I'm trying to use G as my PTT button.

KERNEL=="event[1]", NAME="input/%k", GROUP="ventrilo", MODE="0660"

And that's the 10-local.rules file.

I don't know what I've done wrong, but that's where I'm at.

Edit: Ok, I got the Ventrilo Control thing working. It seems that the permissions to the event were not working correctly. I ended up following the steps in the README file and got ownership by doing

sudo chown <your username> /dev/input/eventx

So at least that is working, but I'm still having troubles with the sound.

I use a Logitech USB headset and I cannot seem to get Vent to work so I can listen and talk on the headset at the same time. If I start up vent with the aoss option, I can talk, but as soon as someone says something to me, then I can no longer talk. I have it setup right now so that I hear things through my speakers and then talk through the headset, but that's sub-optimal. Any suggestions on that?

hikaricore
July 15th, 2007, 11:28 PM
Several users said they needed to reboot after adding udev rules for some reason, as restarting udev did not read the new rules. *shrug*

chowning the device is only a temporary effect and if your udev rule is not working resets after a reboot.

dahli.llama
July 16th, 2007, 01:37 AM
Several users said they needed to reboot after adding udev rules for some reason, as restarting udev did not read the new rules. *shrug*

chowning the device is only a temporary effect and if your udev rule is not working resets after a reboot.

Ah, Good to know. I still forget that rebooting is occasionally still necessary in Linux :D

dahli.llama
July 17th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Ok, I would really like some help getting this to work.

I have a Logitech USB headset that I would like to use with Ventrilo. My system uses the nVida Nforce onboard sound for the speakers, and I would like to get gameplay sounds through the speakers. My Wine version is 0.9.40 (the latest I can get with Synaptic). I am running Ubuntu 7.04 64-bit.

The problem I am having is that I cannot get Vent setup so that I can listen through the headset and talk through the headset at the same time. I've tried to follow all of the tutorials here and nothing seems to help. Other programs seem to work ok with multiple sound sources, and in Teamspeak I can use my headset just find, but I can't in Vent.

If I run Vent with the aoss wrapper, then when I go into test mode I can talk and listen on my headset, but once I connect to a server and someone says something to me I can no longer speak back. If I don't run with the aoss wrapper, then I cannot get it to play any sounds through my headset, but I can talk using the headset mic, and listen through the PC speakers. This is what I'm doing for now and it works, but if I do this, then I get no sound out of the game.

http://www.whatmission.net/Stuff/soundcfg.png
This is my sound settings in Ubuntu. The other options available are:
- Autodetect
- USB Audio
- Nvidia CK804-IEC958
- Nvidia CK804
- ALSA
- ESD
- OSS

http://www.whatmission.net/Stuff/ventcfg.png
My Vent settings without the aoss wrapper.

http://www.whatmission.net/Stuff/ventaosscfg.png
My Vent setting with the aoss wrapper

http://www.whatmission.net/Stuff/winecfg.png
My Wine audio settings.

I hope someone can give me some insight to why I'm having problems with this. Sound has been my biggest issue since I started working with Linux and Wine, and I'd love to get this solved.

Thanks a ton in advance.

Xailia
August 9th, 2007, 04:55 PM
Despite reading everyone's posts here and following the instructions I am still having issues getting this to work correctly on two separate systems, which leads me to believe its something I am doing wrong. I have everything working except the push to talk feature (outside of the ventrilo window). So the issue has something to do with my permissions and the script...

I setup the ventrilo group, gave it permissions to read the keyboard, and added myself to the group. I know this is working because when I run findkey with event1 pressing the DEL key I get this output:

rshields@genepi-rshields:~/ventriloctrl-0.3$ ./findkey /dev/input/event1
key 28 state 0
key 111 state 1
^[[3~key 111 state 0
key 111 state 1
^[[3~key 111 state 0

I then start ventrilo

wine ./Ventrilo.exe

With the window selected I am able to use the push to talk button (DEL), I can hear everyone and they can hear me.

I then open a new console look at my runctrl.sh:

#!/bin/sh

INPUT_KEY="111"

# Don't touch

Looks good to me.

I run it:

./runctrl.sh or I have also tried

sh ./runctrl.sh

either one will start the program:

event device.

Use CTRL-C to quit.
it starts up and finds the ventrilo window. I proceed to click DEL. No luck.

Any thoughts?

DahVid
August 9th, 2007, 08:01 PM
Use the free, open source, multiplatformal mumble (mumble.sf.net)

Xailia
August 9th, 2007, 08:11 PM
I see lots of people in this thread suggesting mumble and teamspeak since they are both multiple platform and just plain work. The problem is I, like everyone else posting for help, doesn't have power over what server we run. I am stuck with Ventrilo and have to figure a way to get this to work or go back to Windows (Oh God...please no).

Trust me, if given the option I will definitely promote anything other than Ventrilo when given the opportunity. Until then, any suggestions on how to get this working?

(Sorry if I came off bitter or snappy...I am just frustrated with the endless hours I have spend trying to get this working).

hikaricore
August 9th, 2007, 09:10 PM
Have you set the key again in Ventrilo after running ventriloctrl?

The ventriloctrl program intercepts & outputs a chosen key, which it remaps as A.
(DO NOT worry about the key A, it's just what the program uses, the important thing is that it remaps your chosen key so use YOUR key)

You must set the key in Ventrilo AFTER you have started ventriloctrl. This only needs
to be done once, so if you havn't tried this method give it a shot. ^_^

Xailia
August 9th, 2007, 09:16 PM
Well, currently it is working. The problem is I have no idea why (I don't really consider it a complete victory until I figure out why).

Thanks for the tip on setting it after I start Vent. I have tried it in the past, but I was changing so many things at once I am sure it was negated in the shuffle. I will let you know how things work out.

On a side note, when this is completely working I am going to write a HOWTO start to finish of how to install ubuntu, WoW, and Ventrilo. I will be sure to reference this thread and give all of you guys many many many thanks.

Xailia
August 10th, 2007, 01:42 PM
Well it has a 50-50 chance of working...I just keep restarting things until it kicks in. I am going to poke around and try to identify the problem - any thoughts on where to start?

hikaricore
August 11th, 2007, 12:39 AM
Well it has a 50-50 chance of working...I just keep restarting things until it kicks in. I am going to poke around and try to identify the problem - any thoughts on where to start?

The biggest problem is that VentriloCtrl is a cheap hack.

It intercepts keys in a way that really isn't 100% fool-proof.

This is the nature of the main issue. The key hooks that Ventrilo requires are not properly implemented in WINE (hell they aren't really recommended to use in ***dows programming AFAIK) and probably won't be for a long time. If the WINE devs were to implement certain buggy features such as this it could in turn break other compatibilities and cause major regressions. On top of that Ventrilo isn't really a huge priority, as there are other voice communication methods, making Vent work better in WINE is on the back burner.

On the subject of bad hacks. I noticed on my girl's system that every so often the program (ventrilctrl) would just stop working or wouldn't work to begin with. I ended up writing a very lame bash script, and setting it as a cron job to occur every 4 minutes. :lolflag:

Here's my crappy script which I don't suggest using. It's lametastic.
I'm posting this out of pure morbid amusement (it also requires ventriloctrl to be in /usr/bin or /usr/local/bin):

#!/bin/bash

INPUT_KEY="127"

if [ -n "$(pidof Ventrilo.exe)" ]; then

echo expression evaluated as true

killall ventriloctrl && sleep 1.5 && ventriloctrl $EVENT_DEVICE $INPUT_KEY &

else
echo expression evaluated as false
fi

All it really does is check to see if Ventrilo is running. If it is it kills ventriloctrl, waits 1.5 seconds, and runs it again. Of course you'll need your proper settings listed in device and key for it to even function.

I guess if this helps anyone it was worth posting, but there really has to be a better way folks. :p

p.s. The echos serve no purpose, they're there because I never bothered to take them out while testing the script.

Rich43
August 11th, 2007, 06:32 PM
Dudes! You need to check out mumble!!!

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Its a real good open source project, better than TS or vent... but not well promoted..so tell your friends!

hikaricore
August 11th, 2007, 06:38 PM
Thank you, we're aware of Mumble.

There is no need to spam it around here :P

JesseEklund
August 11th, 2007, 11:30 PM
I'm having problems setting up the udev group. The terminal keeps spitting this when i try and add my username in:

jesse@ROOM:~/ventrilo/ventctrl$ sudo gpasswd -a -DizMal- ventrilo
gpasswd: unknown user -DizMal-

Any ideas?

hikaricore
August 12th, 2007, 01:42 AM
I'm having problems setting up the udev group. The terminal keeps spitting this when i try and add my username in:

jesse@ROOM:~/ventrilo/ventctrl$ sudo gpasswd -a -DizMal- ventrilo
gpasswd: unknown user -DizMal-

Any ideas?

I've never actually seen/tried a username with dashes in it before I'm guessing that could be the issue?

dafreak
August 12th, 2007, 04:44 AM
Well I finally got ventriloctrl to work properly but now for some unknown reason folks that are listening to me report that after a while the voice goes to crap. I also notice that when this happen ventriloctrl responds slower to the push to talk key. Ideas?

JesseEklund
August 14th, 2007, 08:43 PM
Its not the dashes because it happens even when i attempt to not use them.

damutt13
August 19th, 2007, 04:13 AM
Hello there, I read your tutorial on the VentirloCTRL program, and I followed them perfectly and everything was fine.. until i ran "./runctrl.sh", it gave me:

code@code-laptop:~/source/ventriloctrl-0.3$ ./runctrl.sh
event device.
Could not find Ventrilo window. Is Ventrilo running?

I am running 2.3.0 ventrilo, ubuntu 7.

Any help would be appreciated, thanks.

MemoryDump
August 23rd, 2007, 04:21 AM
well I've tried the script and got everything setup as instructed.. even rebooted and VENT is still not getting the keyboard signal to PUSH to Talk.

I have my key in VENT set to "`" GRAVE which is key# 41 according to my event2

any ideas?

Xailia
August 23rd, 2007, 02:43 PM
I had an insane amount of trouble getting Ubuntu, WoW, Cedega, and Ventrilo (WITH push to talk) to all play nice together. I finally got it working and wrote up an extensive guide on www.eqjunkies.com. The direct link to the guide (when it gets pushed off the homepage is: http://www.eqjunkies.com/?p=125. Hopefully it can help some of you out; if you have any problems please comment on eqjunkies and I will do my best to help you!

Special thanks to these forums also because all of you helped along the way!

MemoryDump
August 23rd, 2007, 03:32 PM
I had an insane amount of trouble getting Ubuntu, WoW, Cedega, and Ventrilo (WITH push to talk) to all play nice together. I finally got it working and wrote up an extensive guide on www.eqjunkies.com. The direct link to the guide (when it gets pushed off the homepage is: http://www.eqjunkies.com/?p=125. Hopefully it can help some of you out; if you have any problems please comment on eqjunkies and I will do my best to help you!

Special thanks to these forums also because all of you helped along the way!

your instructions at "Step Nine: Push to Talk" are almost identical to those posted in this forum thread already :(
Those are the steps I followed and I'm still not getting it to work :(

would a windows manage conflict with this? I'm using compiz-fusion.

Xailia
August 23rd, 2007, 03:49 PM
If you would like, try using my settings:

Post the output of:

cat /proc/bus/input/devices

Are you running ./findkey as root or as your normal user?

If not, do it as your normal user. If it doesn't work: goto System->Administration->Users and Groups->manage Groups->Ventrilo

Is your username checked?

What key to do you have set for Ventrilo push to talk and what value is in the runctrl.sh?

Are you running the script and ventrilo in seperate terminal windows? (I don't know if this is a necessary, just trying to match my settings so I can better help you figure out what is the cause)

If you post your config files I can see if there is a problem anywhere that I can find. Its hard to debug w/o the full picture.

MemoryDump
August 23rd, 2007, 04:24 PM
If you would like, try using my settings:

Post the output of:

I: Bus=0017 Vendor=0001 Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="Macintosh mouse button emulation"
P: Phys=
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input0
H: Handlers=mouse0 ts0 event0
B: EV=7
B: KEY=70000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=3

I: Bus=0010 Vendor=001f Product=0001 Version=0100
N: Name="PC Speaker"
P: Phys=isa0061/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input1
H: Handlers=kbd event1
B: EV=40001
B: SND=6

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=045e Product=00db Version=0111
N: Name="Microsoft Natural® Ergonomic Keyboard 4000"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event2
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf f3cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=107

P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input1
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
H: Handlers=kbd event3
B: EV=10000f
B: KEY=7fff 2c3027 bf004440 0 0 1 10f80 8807c407 ffe77bfa d9715fff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: REL=40
B: ABS=1 0

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c506 Version=0110
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input4
H: Handlers=mouse1 ts1 event4
B: EV=20007
B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: REL=103
B: LED=ff00

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=045e Product=0047 Version=0110
N: Name="Microsoft Microsoft 5-Button Mouse with IntelliEye(TM)"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.7-3.4/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input5
H: Handlers=mouse2 ts2 event5
B: EV=7
B: KEY=1f0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0002 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button (FF)"
P: Phys=ACPI_FPB/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input6
H: Handlers=kbd event6
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

I: Bus=0019 Vendor=0000 Product=0001 Version=0000
N: Name="Power Button (CM)"
P: Phys=PNP0C0C/button/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input7
H: Handlers=kbd event7
B: EV=3
B: KEY=100000 0 0 0

Are you running ./findkey as root or as your normal user?
normal user

If not, do it as your normal user. If it doesn't work: goto System->Administration->Users and Groups->manage Groups->Ventrilo

Is your username checked?

I'm in the group :)

What key to do you have set for Ventrilo push to talk and what value is in the runctrl.sh?

I use the GRAVE key "`".

#!/bin/sh

EVENT_DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"
INPUT_KEY="41"

# Don't touch

Are you running the script and ventrilo in seperate terminal windows?

I run Vent using a launcher on my desktop which uses aoss. I've tested vent and it works properly as long it's the active window. Then I'll open up a terminal and run the script which appears to load properly.

Xailia
August 23rd, 2007, 04:33 PM
I don't know your exact hardware, but your output is slightly perplexing.

For one thing, it appears as though your keyboard shows up twice:

P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input2
H: Handlers=kbd event2
B: EV=120003
B: KEY=10000 7 ff800000 7ff febeffdf f3cfffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: LED=107

P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-1/input1
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input3
H: Handlers=kbd event3
B: EV=10000f
B: KEY=7fff 2c3027 bf004440 0 0 1 10f80 8807c407 ffe77bfa d9715fff febeffdf ffefffff ffffffff fffffffe
B: REL=40
B: ABS=1 0

It seems your keyboard is both event2 and event3, correct me if I am wrong.

Something else that is confusing is that you have this:

I: Bus=0003 Vendor=046d Product=c506 Version=0110
N: Name="Logitech USB Receiver"
P: Phys=usb-0000:00:1d.0-2/input0
S: Sysfs=/class/input/input4
H: Handlers=mouse1 ts1 event4
B: EV=20007
B: KEY=ffff0000 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
B: LED=ff00

When your mouse is also a microsoft one. Do you have a USB pad or is that your microphone?

Suggestions:

Try changing from event2 to event3, see if it makes a difference
Try using your mouse event (#5). (Remember to use ./findkey again with the mouse, change the script to the new value, and set your push to talk button.

Let me know what comes of this.

MemoryDump
August 23rd, 2007, 05:58 PM
I'm not sure why I'd have 2x keyboards listed/configured ?? :confused:

As for the mice, I do have 2 mice connected to my system. I have my primary one which is a Logitech MX700 Wireless (which I'm guessing why it's listed as a USB Receiver) and a Microsoft wired one which I use in the event my Logitech dies cause the rechargeble batteries dies. (which seems to occur to happen more lately as I need to replace those batteries)

I'm at work right now so I can't test anything at the moment.. but I do recall trying event3 last night and I wasn't getting anything. Only event2 seemed to be working for me.

Not sure what you mean by trying to use my mouse from event #5 :confused:

thanks for the assistance btw :D

Xailia
August 23rd, 2007, 06:02 PM
Not sure what you mean by trying to use my mouse from event #5

What I meant was using your mouse to trigger push to talk instead of your keyboard. When I was having trouble with my keyboard sending the signal, I found that if I used my mouse for the push to talk it would work...very odd.

Try going through the configuration process (findkey and runctrl). You can try it as root for now to see if it will help.

Aesir09
August 23rd, 2007, 07:23 PM
works fine for me from what i can remember, make sure your mic is not muted:

alsamixer

MemoryDump
August 24th, 2007, 02:32 AM
What I meant was using your mouse to trigger push to talk instead of your keyboard. When I was having trouble with my keyboard sending the signal, I found that if I used my mouse for the push to talk it would work...very odd.

Try going through the configuration process (findkey and runctrl). You can try it as root for now to see if it will help.

I've tried with event5 and using a mouse button and still no success :(
I went through ALL the steps again for this and I'm %100 sure it's setup correctly.

event2 is my keyboard and event5 is my Microsoft Mouse.. I even tried using the DELETE key and still no go.. Vent itself works fine when I assign a new key.

HELP! :confused:

Xailia
August 24th, 2007, 01:41 PM
try this:

start ventrilo, then start the script.

Go into Vent and then set your key again in the push to talk. I have noticed sometimes no matter what you hit (only hit the desired key though), it changes to "A", when that happens it is more likely to work.

MemoryDump
August 24th, 2007, 04:54 PM
ok.. I just re-read 3/4 of all the posts in this thread and just realized that most of you have wincfg sound option set to OSS rather than ALSA... does this make a difference as far as making this script work? Like I said.. Vent works fine,, just not in conjuction with this script :(

Xailia
August 24th, 2007, 05:00 PM
It really shouldn't have an affect on it...the script is just grabbing event handlers from the keyboard and intercepting them.

The only thing I could think to do at this point is edit the script to output the keyboard signal every time it receives it. You could also add a line to make sure it is getting the right window. I will take a look at it tonight when I get off work and see if I can modify it for you to make it easier to debug the situation.

MemoryDump
August 24th, 2007, 05:02 PM
It really shouldn't have an affect on it...the script is just grabbing event handlers from the keyboard and intercepting them.

The only thing I could think to do at this point is edit the script to output the keyboard signal every time it receives it. You could also add a line to make sure it is getting the right window. I will take a look at it tonight when I get off work and see if I can modify it for you to make it easier to debug the situation.
muchly appreciated :D

Dogfighter
August 25th, 2007, 03:55 PM
heya, im sorry if this has been cleared earlier but i didnt read all pages.

ive followed the instructions, but whenever i want to test the sound i get the error: "Open Input Device failed." :(

cant hear ppl talk nor can they hear me.
ive tried around but i wasnt able to fix it.
im using a soundblaster live soundcard.

any help appreciated :)

MemoryDump
August 26th, 2007, 07:42 AM

any luck with the moded code? :)

Xailia
August 27th, 2007, 01:36 PM
I didn't get a chance to look at it (and I kind of forgot...) I put it on my list of things to do though.

Dogfighter
August 28th, 2007, 11:03 AM
heya, im sorry if this has been cleared earlier but i didnt read all pages.

ive followed the instructions, but whenever i want to test the sound i get the error: "Open Input Device failed." :(

cant hear ppl talk nor can they hear me.
ive tried around but i wasnt able to fix it.
im using a soundblaster live soundcard.

any help appreciated :)

anyone? :???:

Xailia
August 28th, 2007, 01:47 PM
First off, make sure you don't have anything muted. Secondly, in the ventrilo setup try different output device options till you find one that works. If that fails...

Goto the console and type:

winecfg

Click on the audio tab and let me know what it says under OSS and ALSA for output devices (or just take a screenshot).

Xailia
August 28th, 2007, 01:58 PM
Here is a modified version of ventriloctrl.c for those of you who have problems. When you start it will output all the windows it is going through until it finds the right one (was already there just uncommented it) along with outputing a message every time you send a key to Ventrilo. Hopefully this helps you figure out what is going on.

//
// Original code by Adam Pierce - http://www.doctort.org/adam/
// http://www.doctort.org/adam/nerd-notes/x11-fake-keypress-event.html
//

//
// find_window() -function contributed by Markus Lindqvist
//

#include <stdio.h>
#include <stdlib.h>
#include <string.h>
#include <unistd.h>
#include <X11/Xlib.h>
#include <X11/keysym.h>

// evdev input
#include <linux/input.h>
#include <sys/types.h>
#include <sys/stat.h>
#include <fcntl.h>

#define VERSION "v0.3-SVN"
#define VENTWIN "Ventrilo"

// define key to send to Ventrilo, default is A
#define KEYCODE XK_A

XKeyEvent createKeyEvent(Display *display, Window win,
Window winRoot, int press,
int keycode, int modifiers)
{
XKeyEvent event;

event.display = display;
event.window = win;
event.root = winRoot;
event.subwindow = None;
event.time = CurrentTime;
event.x = 1;
event.y = 1;
event.x_root = 1;
event.y_root = 1;
event.same_screen = True;
event.keycode = XKeysymToKeycode(display, keycode);
event.state = modifiers;
event.send_event = 1;
event.serial = 0;
if(press)
event.type = KeyPress;
else
event.type = KeyRelease;

return event;
}

Window *find_window(Display *display, Window start, const char *name)
{
Window *children = 0;
Window root;
Window parent;
int i;
unsigned int childrenCount = 0;
XQueryTree(display, start, &root, &parent, &children, &childrenCount);

char *window_name = 0;
for(i=0; i<childrenCount; ++i) {
if(XFetchName(display, children[i], &window_name) == 1) {
printf("value: %s\n", window_name);
if(strcmp(name, window_name) == 0) {
XFree(window_name);
return &children[i];
}
XFree(window_name);
}
}

for(i=0; i<childrenCount; ++i) {
Window *window = find_window(display, children[i], name);
if(window != 0) {
XFree(children);
return window;
}
}

if(children != 0)
XFree(children);

return 0;
}

int main(int argc, char **argv)
{
// xlib
Display *display;
Window winRoot;
Window *winFocus = 0;
XKeyEvent event;

// check parameters
if (argc < 3) {
printf("usage: %s <device> <listen key>\n", argv[0]);
return 1;
}

printf("Ventrilo Control %s for Linux by Purkka Productions\n", VERSION);
printf("================================================== ===\n");
printf("WARNING: This program reads DIRECTLY your keyboard!\n");
printf(" You need correct permissions to read the\n");
printf(" event device.\n");

// evdev
int fd;
fd = open(argv[1], O_RDONLY);
if(!fd) {
printf("Error: Can't opening device %s\n", argv[1]);
return 1;
}
struct input_event ev;

display = XOpenDisplay(0);
if(display == NULL) {
printf("Error: Could not open display!\n");
return 1;
}

winRoot = XDefaultRootWindow(display);
winFocus = find_window(display, winRoot, VENTWIN);

if(!winFocus) {
printf("Could not find Ventrilo window. Is Ventrilo running?\n");
return 1;
}

printf ("Window selected. Please test pressing the key to talk before going to play.\n");
printf ("\nUse CTRL-C to quit.\n");

// main loop after selecting window
while(1)
{
read(fd, &ev, sizeof(struct input_event));
if(ev.type == 1) {
if(ev.code == atoi(argv[2])) {
if(ev.value == 1) {
printf("Sending Key!\n");
// send press event
event = createKeyEvent(display, *winFocus, winRoot, 1, KEYCODE, 0);
XSendEvent(event.display, event.window, True, KeyPressMask, (XEvent *)&event);
XFlush(display);
} else if(!ev.value) {
// send release event
event = createKeyEvent(display, *winFocus, winRoot, 0, KEYCODE, 0);
XSendEvent(event.display, event.window, True, KeyPressMask, (XEvent *)&event);
XFlush(display);
}
}
}
}

return 0;
}

Dogfighter
August 28th, 2007, 04:23 PM
First off, make sure you don't have anything muted. Secondly, in the ventrilo setup try different output device options till you find one that works. If that fails...

Goto the console and type:

winecfg

Click on the audio tab and let me know what it says under OSS and ALSA for output devices (or just take a screenshot).

nothing is muted, teamspeak, xmms, games ect work fine.
ive tried all possible output devices already, i get the same error everywhere.

in the audio options only OSS is enabled, should i enable ALSA too?

*EDIT* just tried that, and it doesnt work either.
when i unselect OSS and only have ALSA on i get the same error again. :/

Xailia
August 28th, 2007, 05:05 PM
Did you play with the settings from within ventrilo? You can select different sound devices...

Dogfighter
August 28th, 2007, 08:17 PM
yea like i said i did... but it doesnt make a difference.
the question is, do i need to manually install the soundcard?
ive just plugged it in and booted up and everything was working...

in the volumecontrol it does show (SBLIVE) so its got detected.
but i cannot select it in the vent options. :confused:

see screenie.

Xailia
August 28th, 2007, 08:18 PM
As long as its showing up in your wine configure under ALSA or OSS as an output device then the installation is not the problem.

Dogfighter
August 28th, 2007, 08:41 PM
just had a look and it doesnt show up in the OSS section...
only this "sigmatel" i have no idea what that is, or is it the same?

Xailia
August 28th, 2007, 09:03 PM
try uninstalling and reinstalling wine and see what comes of it. There is probably a way to go through the configs and have it redetect stuff, but nothing beats a clean install...

Dogfighter
August 29th, 2007, 03:13 AM
hmm for some reason it now works.
all ive done is i installed SDL_net which was required by a game i was installing, after that it worked lol.
well anyway thanks for the help :)

MrJavalava
September 3rd, 2007, 08:06 AM
Is there a more recent version of how to make ventrilo and wine work more reliable? This guide is sort of outdated.

I'm looking for a wiki that has checkpoints, so I can be sure I'm on the right track when setting up both wine and ventrilo. At the moment the whole thing seems sluggish. I think it's because of Alsa or OSS for that matter. Ventrilo or winecfg takes up to 2 or 3 minutes before I see the GUI.

I might wanna lateron try to make WoW work along with Wine but it does not appeal to me just yet, since I find the reliability abit dodgy.

Xailia
September 3rd, 2007, 03:19 PM
Is there a more recent version of how to make ventrilo and wine work more reliable? This guide is sort of outdated.

Yes, I wrote one here: http://www.eqjunkies.com/?p=125

hikaricore
September 3rd, 2007, 10:14 PM

Yes, I wrote one here: http://www.eqjunkies.com/?p=125

Ok.... I can deal with you recommending Cedega.

However, the push to talk walk-through you posted is half wrong. And stripping everyone out and just saying "thanks all" for credit isn't really the best way to handle things, atleast link back to your sources.

I am NOT amused. :mad:

Step Nine: Push to Talk

* Type:

* Look through the list and find your keyboard and look for the line that looks like this: H: Handlers=kbd event1

* In this case my device event variable is /dev/input/event1

* Type:

sudo groupadd ventrilo
sudo gedit /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules

* The “YOURUSERNAME” above is the username you use to login to linux.
* paste in this line of code replacing the “???” with the event number you found in the first step:

* Save the file and RESTART the computer.
* Download this.
* Find the file on your desktop and right click. Select “Extract here”
* Open a terminal (Applications->Accessories->Terminal)
* The following is taken from the program’s readme file
* Type (replace # with the event number you found earlier).:

./findkey /dev/input/event#

1. Press the key you want to use as push to talk, record the keynumber (for instance, the DEL key is 111).
2. Type:

gedit runctrl.sh

1. Change EVENT DEVICE and INPUT KEY to reflect the values you found/selected.
2. Run Ventrilo by opening a terminal and going to your ventrilo directory

cd /ventrilo
wine ./Ventrilo.exe

Open a new terminal and goto the ventriloctrl directory. Run the script:

./runctrl.sh

Your push to talk should now be operational.

Note: You must run the runctrl.sh after you run Ventrilo, everytime.

Xailia
September 3rd, 2007, 11:08 PM
I did not mean to offend...I did give the links in the beginning (including this thread). Aside from the group for adding a ventrilo group (from this thread) the majority of it came from the readme file included with the script.

Again, I didn't mean to offend you nor did I mean to downplay the role of my sources. (I will edit the post to make this more apparent).

I think we are all working towards the same goal - getting things working on Ubuntu as best as possible. I know Cedega isn't free so it doesn't fit in with Ubuntu's outlook, but as a user I found that it worked better than wine so I used it. I would love to use free/open source whenever possible, but it has preform as well (or better).

On a side note...the guide does work for many people, so I am not sure what portion of it "half wrong", but I imagine you have more experience with Ubuntu/Linux than I ever will.

MrJavalava
September 4th, 2007, 07:36 AM
Anyhu...

It might be the setup of Wine that is not correctly setup for all that I know. It shouldn't be this slow nor unreliable, I know wine is not perfect in any way, but still..

Sometimes the ventrilo nor winecfg does not start at all, while I'm trying to starting either programs, the startup affects other programs aswell. I can't see it takes up resources or anything like that, it just stalls for a bit.

The computer I'm currently running with:

Thinkpad T41p, aka P-M 1,7GHz and with an ATI mobility FIREGL T2 gfx card (wish it were Nvidia.. meh)

current setup:
Ubuntu Feisty
CompizFusion with XGL (in case it matters)

MrJavalava
September 4th, 2007, 07:38 AM
Btw, I've actually used your guide.......

Xailia
September 4th, 2007, 02:23 PM
The problem with wine not starting fast is fairly out of my league...but I have a couple ideas that come to mind:

Go into winecfg and try to turn down all of the audio/graphics settings - my gut is wine is trying to use a driver that isn't completely compatible with one of those devices, but like I said, I really have no idea; just guessing.

misse-
September 4th, 2007, 09:41 PM
I need help. I got it to work, but after a reboot it simply crashes when checking "Use directsound"

Wine settings:

OSS and ESD checked. Full hardware support, 44800 16bit no driver emulation.

In Ventrilo it works altough I sound like a robot with default mapper's on both. But when I check directsound it crashes and give me the following output:

wine: Unhandled page fault on read access to 0x00000138 at address 0xb7d0e34c (thread 0009), starting debugger...
Unhandled exception: page fault on read access to 0x00000138 in 32-bit code (0xb7d0e34c).
Register dump:
CS:0073 SS:007b DS:007b ES:007b FS:0033 GS:003b
EIP:b7d0e34c ESP:00338878 EBP:00338894 EFLAGS:00210206( - 00 - RIP1)
EAX:0000000a EBX:7d222344 ECX:0000008b EDX:00000815
ESI:00000138 EDI:00338a18
Stack dump:
0x00338878: 7d208b8e 00338a18 00000138 0000022c
0x00338888: 7ef10a30 7d208b59 7d222344 003388d4
0x00338898: 7d20444c 0000000a 00338a18 003388e4
0x003388a8: 7b88cb21 7eeaac20 7b88cb21 0000000a
0x003388b8: 7bc3200f ffffffff 7b8b0888 00338904
0x003388c8: 7ef29168 7ef72170 001461ec 00338934
Backtrace:
=>1 0xb7d0e34c memcpy+0x1c() in libc.so.6 (0x00338894)
2 0x7d20444c OSS_widMessage+0x2fc() in wineoss (0x003388d4)
3 0x7ef0f179 MMDRV_Message+0x459() in winmm (0x00338934)
4 0x7ef0f589 MMDRV_PhysicalFeatures+0x189() in winmm (0x00338974)
5 0x7ef1cc2e waveInMessage+0x11e() in winmm (0x003389b4)
6 0x7e9bb757 DirectSoundCaptureEnumerateA+0x197() in dsound (0x00338c64)
7 0x00425780 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x25780) (0x00338ca4)
8 0x00452d09 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x52d09) (0x00338cd4)
9 0x0044f6b1 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x4f6b1) (0x00338cf8)
10 0x00451862 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x51862) (0x00338d48)
11 0x004512a1 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x512a1) (0x00338dc4)
12 0x00451253 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x51253) (0x00338de4)
13 0x00427b65 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x27b65) (0x00338e68)
14 0x0045050a in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x5050a) (0x00338e84)
15 0x7ee6a7aa WINPROC_wrapper+0x1a() in user32 (0x00338eb4)
16 0x7ee6aebe in user32 (+0xaaebe) (0x00338ef4)
17 0x7ee6f1fb in user32 (+0xaf1fb) (0x003393c4)
18 0x7ee7062b WINPROC_call_window+0x15b() in user32 (0x00339404)
19 0x7ee36ffc in user32 (+0x76ffc) (0x00339474)
20 0x7ee3ae22 in user32 (+0x7ae22) (0x003394d4)
21 0x7ee3b29a SendMessageW+0x4a() in user32 (0x00339514)
22 0x7ede588f in user32 (+0x2588f) (0x00339604)
23 0x7ede6466 in user32 (+0x26466) (0x00339624)
24 0x7ee6a7aa WINPROC_wrapper+0x1a() in user32 (0x00339654)
25 0x7ee6aebe in user32 (+0xaaebe) (0x00339694)
26 0x7ee6eeb3 CallWindowProcA+0xa3() in user32 (0x003396e4)
27 0x00450cf2 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x50cf2) (0x00339704)
28 0x0045126a in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x5126a) (0x00339720)
29 0x00450302 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x50302) (0x00339780)
30 0x0045050a in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x5050a) (0x0033979c)
31 0x7ee6a7aa WINPROC_wrapper+0x1a() in user32 (0x003397cc)
32 0x7ee6aebe in user32 (+0xaaebe) (0x0033980c)
33 0x7ee6f1fb in user32 (+0xaf1fb) (0x00339cdc)
34 0x7ee7062b WINPROC_call_window+0x15b() in user32 (0x00339d1c)
35 0x7ee37516 DispatchMessageW+0x96() in user32 (0x00339d5c)
36 0x7ee05afb IsDialogMessageW+0xfb() in user32 (0x00339ebc)
37 0x7ee37a78 IsDialogMessageA+0x68() in user32 (0x00339efc)
38 0x00453034 in ventrilo 2.1.4 (+0x53034) (0x0047f3a0)
39 0x00000202 (0x000100f4)
40 0x00000000 (0x00000000)
0xb7d0e34c memcpy+0x1c in libc.so.6: repe movsl (%esi),%es:(%edi)
Modules:
Module Address Debug info Name (102 modules)
PE 400000- 492000 Export ventrilo 2.1.4
ELF 7b800000-7b929000 Deferred kernel32<elf>
\-PE 7b820000-7b929000 \ kernel32
ELF 7bc00000-7bca0000 Deferred ntdll<elf>
\-PE 7bc10000-7bca0000 \ ntdll
ELF 7bf00000-7bf03000 Deferred <wine-loader>
ELF 7cf99000-7cfdf000 Deferred riched20<elf>
\-PE 7cfa0000-7cfdf000 \ riched20
ELF 7cfdf000-7cff3000 Deferred riched32<elf>
\-PE 7cff0000-7cff3000 \ riched32
ELF 7cff3000-7d044000 Deferred libgcrypt.so.11
ELF 7d044000-7d059000 Deferred libtasn1.so.3
ELF 7d059000-7d087000 Deferred libcrypt.so.1
ELF 7d087000-7d0f7000 Deferred libgnutls.so.13
ELF 7d0f7000-7d128000 Deferred libcups.so.2
ELF 7d18e000-7d1c0000 Deferred uxtheme<elf>
\-PE 7d1a0000-7d1c0000 \ uxtheme
ELF 7d1c0000-7d1d5000 Deferred midimap<elf>
\-PE 7d1d0000-7d1d5000 \ midimap
ELF 7d1d5000-7d1ed000 Deferred msacm32<elf>
\-PE 7d1e0000-7d1ed000 \ msacm32
ELF 7d1ed000-7d227000 Export wineoss<elf>
\-PE 7d1f0000-7d227000 \ wineoss
ELF 7d227000-7d2ec000 Deferred libasound.so.2
ELF 7d2ec000-7d30e000 Deferred libaudiofile.so.0
ELF 7d31f000-7d339000 Deferred wineesd<elf>
\-PE 7d330000-7d339000 \ wineesd
ELF 7d339000-7d342000 Deferred libxcursor.so.1
ELF 7d342000-7d35f000 Deferred imm32<elf>
\-PE 7d350000-7d35f000 \ imm32
ELF 7d35f000-7d367000 Deferred libxrender.so.1
ELF 7d368000-7d36c000 Deferred libgpg-error.so.0
ELF 7d36c000-7d376000 Deferred libesd.so.0
ELF 7df78000-7e1ce000 Deferred i915_dri.so
ELF 7e1ce000-7e1d7000 Deferred libdrm.so.2
ELF 7e1d7000-7e237000 Deferred libgl.so.1
ELF 7e237000-7e23c000 Deferred libxdmcp.so.6
ELF 7e23c000-7e23f000 Deferred libxau.so.6
ELF 7e23f000-7e330000 Deferred libx11.so.6
ELF 7e330000-7e33e000 Deferred libxext.so.6
ELF 7e33e000-7e343000 Deferred libxxf86vm.so.1
ELF 7e343000-7e35b000 Deferred libice.so.6
ELF 7e35b000-7e364000 Deferred libsm.so.6
ELF 7e364000-7e369000 Deferred libxfixes.so.3
ELF 7e369000-7e36d000 Deferred iso8859-15.so
ELF 7e36d000-7e373000 Deferred libxrandr.so.2
ELF 7e375000-7e3ff000 Deferred winex11<elf>
\-PE 7e380000-7e3ff000 \ winex11
ELF 7e50f000-7e52f000 Deferred libexpat.so.1
ELF 7e52f000-7e55a000 Deferred libfontconfig.so.1
ELF 7e55a000-7e56e000 Deferred libz.so.1
ELF 7e56e000-7e5d9000 Deferred libfreetype.so.6
ELF 7e5d9000-7e677000 Deferred oleaut32<elf>
\-PE 7e5f0000-7e677000 \ oleaut32
ELF 7e677000-7e68b000 Deferred olepro32<elf>
\-PE 7e680000-7e68b000 \ olepro32
ELF 7e68b000-7e6ad000 Deferred oledlg<elf>
\-PE 7e690000-7e6ad000 \ oledlg
ELF 7e6ad000-7e6e2000 Deferred winspool<elf>
\-PE 7e6c0000-7e6e2000 \ winspool
ELF 7e6e2000-7e7a0000 Deferred comctl32<elf>
\-PE 7e6f0000-7e7a0000 \ comctl32
ELF 7e7a0000-7e7f9000 Deferred shlwapi<elf>
\-PE 7e7b0000-7e7f9000 \ shlwapi
ELF 7e7f9000-7e8fc000 Deferred shell32<elf>
\-PE 7e810000-7e8fc000 \ shell32
ELF 7e8fc000-7e99d000 Deferred comdlg32<elf>
\-PE 7e900000-7e99d000 \ comdlg32
ELF 7e99d000-7e9e6000 Export dsound<elf>
\-PE 7e9b0000-7e9e6000 \ dsound
ELF 7e9e6000-7ea3f000 Deferred rpcrt4<elf>
\-PE 7e9f0000-7ea3f000 \ rpcrt4
ELF 7ea3f000-7eade000 Deferred ole32<elf>
\-PE 7ea50000-7eade000 \ ole32
ELF 7eade000-7eb14000 Deferred dinput<elf>
\-PE 7eaf0000-7eb14000 \ dinput
ELF 7eb14000-7eb27000 Deferred libresolv.so.2
ELF 7eb27000-7eb45000 Deferred iphlpapi<elf>
\-PE 7eb30000-7eb45000 \ iphlpapi
ELF 7eb45000-7eb72000 Deferred ws2_32<elf>
\-PE 7eb50000-7eb72000 \ ws2_32
ELF 7eb72000-7eb98000 Deferred msacm32<elf>
\-PE 7eb80000-7eb98000 \ msacm32
ELF 7eb98000-7ebe0000 Deferred advapi32<elf>
\-PE 7eba0000-7ebe0000 \ advapi32
ELF 7ebe0000-7ebec000 Deferred libgcc_s.so.1
ELF 7ece7000-7eda7000 Deferred gdi32<elf>
\-PE 7ed00000-7eda7000 \ gdi32
ELF 7eda7000-7eee5000 Export user32<elf>
\-PE 7edc0000-7eee5000 \ user32
ELF 7eee5000-7ef73000 Export winmm<elf>
\-PE 7eef0000-7ef73000 \ winmm
ELF 7efa6000-7efb1000 Deferred libnss_files.so.2
ELF 7efb1000-7efc8000 Deferred libnsl.so.1
ELF 7efc8000-7efef000 Deferred libm.so.6
ELF 7eff6000-7f000000 Deferred libnss_nis.so.2
ELF b7c91000-b7c9a000 Deferred libnss_compat.so.2
ELF b7c9b000-b7c9f000 Deferred libdl.so.2
ELF b7c9f000-b7de0000 Export libc.so.6
ELF b7de1000-b7df8000 Deferred libpthread.so.0
ELF b7e09000-b7f1d000 Deferred libwine.so.1
ELF b7f1f000-b7f3a000 Deferred ld-linux.so.2
Threads:
process tid prio (all id:s are in hex)
0000000a
0000000c 0
0000000b 0
00000008 (D) H:\.wine\drive_c\Program Files\VentriloMIX\Ventrilo 2.1.4.exe
00000009 0 <==

fallenfantasyx
September 7th, 2007, 02:06 PM
i followed this guide word for word my only problem is my mic works but eveytime i talk i get alot of background noise from nothing like someone is welding ive been told...any ideas?

Jttm69
September 17th, 2007, 08:10 PM
So, the endless question. Can Ventrilo be used by a Ubuntu user? And can Teamspeak connect to Ventrilo servers?

hikaricore
September 17th, 2007, 10:45 PM
Can it be used? YES
Can it be used EASILY? Not really.

Can Teamspeak connect to Ventrilo servers: lol no

Will it work? Depends on you doing everything right and not getting frustrated.

There are alternatives to using these: http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

Christobevii3
September 26th, 2007, 06:58 AM
When i use wine with ventrilo it lags out the incoming voices after a while and i have to disconnect and reconnect. Does anyone know what is causing this or a solution? Thanks!

joaomat
September 26th, 2007, 12:11 PM
Hi guys !!

I'm new to linux, just installed Kurumin in my old laptop after getting tired of the Xtra slow motion with WinXP.

I'm quite happy with it, just have some problems with my network, as the wireless PMCI card is not recognized on startup, but with time I'll get over it...

This is just to say Thanks to endy for his nice tut.
My ventrilo is working like a charm, perfect sound and not lagging at all.

Thanks again !!

:guitar:

sk8dork
October 3rd, 2007, 05:47 PM
When i use wine with ventrilo it lags out the incoming voices after a while and i have to disconnect and reconnect. Does anyone know what is causing this or a solution? Thanks!

i think i had the same problem you are having.

i was tearing my hair out trying to get vent working the last couple nights. a few weeks ago i had vent working great with wine and wow using OSS (alsa hasn't worked very well in wine for me until version 9.46). don't ask me how, but if i brought up vent first and then wow, i could use OSS in both. since then i've reinstalled ubuntu (currently using xubuntu with openbox) and when i tried vent again a few days ago i kept getting the GSM codec error. i had the msgsm32.acm file in the right place, had the line added to my system.ini, but it still wouldn't work. i reinstalled vent, still nothing. i read somewhere (maybe this thread) where someone didn't have a system.ini so they only added the one line mentioned in the first post (two lines if you consider they had to add the [drivers32] line). since i already had a system.ini i decided to make a backup of it and clear it out except for just the [drivers32] line and the MSACM line from the first post, this solved my GSM codec problem.

which brought me to the problem the person is having that i quoted. whether connected to a server or not, when testing in the setup screen or when trying to chat in a server, it would work for a short while and then stop. either the push to talk button would stick in the on or off mode or sound would just stop. i figured out that i had to have output sound settings checked for directsound, but input sound unchecked for directsound. i am now able to chat in the vent server perfectly fine. i have winecfg set to use alsa with hardware acceleration set to full, driver emulation checkbox checked, both vent and wow sound great. i have to have the check box checked for directinput or whatever in vent setup for the push to talk key to work with wow focused and vent in the background.

Lord C
October 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
Thanks for the guide, was useful. I always forget that darn windows system dll.

By the way guys, look up mumble (http://mumble.sourceforge.net/). It's just like Ventrilo.
I'd rather use Vent or Mumble, because TeamSpeak has very poor sound quality ime.

SanCo.ac
October 29th, 2007, 10:14 PM
./findkey command doesn't work, anyone wanna help.. annoys me to death that NONE has a answer to this.

Goronok
October 29th, 2007, 11:11 PM
./findkey command doesn't work, anyone wanna help.. annoys me to death that NONE has a answer to this.

Not sure what you could be doing wrong, but from your ventriloctrl directory run :

sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event*

replace * with 0-6 until you find one that will function with your keyboard. /event1 is what ended up working with my Dell E1705 notebook. If the first one you try Ctrl-C to stop the script and try another number.

Hope this helps.

SanCo.ac
October 30th, 2007, 01:00 AM
nope, that's what I did, do I need to place it some special dir or something

Zaiden
October 31st, 2007, 03:21 AM
Will this guide work with Ventrilo 2.1.1, or only the newest version?

MemoryDump
October 31st, 2007, 03:47 PM
Will this guide work with Ventrilo 2.1.1, or only the newest version?

should work with any version

boolat
November 1st, 2007, 06:10 PM
hello,

I just installed ventrilo 2.3.0,
In the setup I have no microphone ?

hardware --> line : option no microphone ?

http://img259.imageshack.us/img259/8299/snapshot7tu7.jpg

thx

Nhira
November 3rd, 2007, 02:27 PM
I'm trying to access the Setup in ventrilo but everytime I push this button Ventrilo closing.

Any idea what's happening or how I can solve it?

Btw, I can listen the others really good -_-

sonicborg
November 6th, 2007, 08:03 PM
get it working almost fine.
sound works fine, USB mic (usb headset) works fine, and when i have the program in focus i can push to talk

but when i come off focus, then i lose push to talk faciility, and this script doesnt work no matter how many options i correct in it.

Zaiden
November 11th, 2007, 01:22 PM
I attempted trying to get the push to talk key working through the instructions, but there is absolutely no ./findkey command. No matter how many times I tried through the terminal, ./findkey would not work.

Lord C
November 12th, 2007, 05:03 PM
Flasgship said they'd started coding a GNU/Linux version of Ventrilo years ago (05-30-2005, 01:10 PM).

--Flag

If all the people here with Ventrilo/Wine problems could start requesting on the official Ventrilo forums - maybe we could get them to release a beta, or even alpha of the GNU/Linux version.

Whatever they have so far, is better than nothing, right?

http://www.ventrilo.com/forums/showthread.php?p=88149#post88149

Personally I use Mumble these days, which I find to have every feature that I used on Ventrilo, if not more. The only problem is, as I know a lot of you will say, people already have Ventrilo servers etc, and migrating people to another client is always a headache.
But if your friends believe in the FOSS philosophy, shouldn't be that hard really.

Nhira
November 17th, 2007, 03:05 PM
Hello.

I download Ventrilo 3.0.0 this morning, when I select to install it I got the message;
Ventrilo 2.3.0 is already installed and you need to unistall it in order to instal Ventrilo 3.0.0
Do you want to unistall it?

I select Yes but nothing happened, so I unistall it manually.

Now I'm trying to make Ventrilo 3.0.0 run and it says;
Ventrilo 3.0.0 is already installed and you need to unistall it in order to instal Ventrilo 3.0.0

But.. the only thing named as Ventrilo I have is this damn .exe!
And I can't install it..

Any idea what's happening?
It's driving me crazy... I tried every thing I know but nothing..

bpdiomus
November 17th, 2007, 06:41 PM
Hi Nhira,

Have u tried to remove from your system.reg, user.reg and userdef.reg anything that refers to Ventrilo? (in your ~/.wine directory)

I've found only one post mentionning this and it was the one that helped me.
Spreading the word.

bpdiomus

Blindey
November 19th, 2007, 04:36 AM
I just downloaded Ventrilo 3.0.0 and am using it through Wine (0.9.49).

So far I haven't discovered any problems, except I am unable to talk.

I can hear everybody very clearly, and even my PTT works (I can hear the "beep" each time I press it, but they aren't able to hear me.

Any suggestions on what i should do in order to get that working?

I really appreciate it!

Ferrat
November 19th, 2007, 12:54 PM
Im running both WoW and Ventrilo without any problems, can both hear and talk on vent and got game sound and no problem with the focus being needed for push to talk (vent v.2.14)

cibercanon
November 20th, 2007, 07:25 AM
i keep getting
Failed to get encoder for specified Codec.

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec no matter what i do

poompt
November 29th, 2007, 01:59 AM
i keep getting

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 11 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec no matter what i do

I'm getting the same problem, I added MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm to system.ini and copied msgsm32.acm first from a Windows installation and then a downloaded version to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/, and yet I still get this error whenever I try to connect to a server. Anything I missed or that might resolve this issue?

arxix
December 3rd, 2007, 07:51 PM
I'm getting the same problem, I added MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm to system.ini and copied msgsm32.acm first from a Windows installation and then a downloaded version to ~/.wine/drive_c/windows/system/, and yet I still get this error whenever I try to connect to a server. Anything I missed or that might resolve this issue?

I get the same thing. I just upgraded to 3.0.1 and I get it in both versions.

Any other thoughts?

EDIT!
I replaced my copy of the msgsm32.acm file ( copied from my XP 64 pro partition) with the one from the link in the first post in the thread and magically it works! I guess the one I had from before doesn't like wine.

The link that had the file is no longer valid. If someone would like to host it, please do.

I will post

Hope this helps everyone!
-ArXiX

ABX
December 17th, 2007, 11:02 AM
Following this guide I've managed to install Ventrilo on my Ubuntu. I had to play a little with some files to remove all the errors and now it's ok.

But my microphone stops working after 4-5 minutes of starting Ventrilo. The only way to make it work again is to restart Ventrilo clinet. I can hear all the time tho.

kguthrie
December 18th, 2007, 12:47 AM
I got push to talk working, but only when Ventrilo was in focus. Also, I had full sound in Ventrilo when it was running by itself, but when I started WoW through Wine, I lost sound in both and couldn't hear anything, and PTT also stopped working. Anyone know what the deal is?

asnd16
December 19th, 2007, 08:57 AM
Hello.

I download Ventrilo 3.0.0 this morning, when I select to install it I got the message;
Ventrilo 2.3.0 is already installed and you need to unistall it in order to instal Ventrilo 3.0.0

I select Yes but nothing happened, so I unistall it manually.

Now I'm trying to make Ventrilo 3.0.0 run and it says;
Ventrilo 3.0.0 is already installed and you need to unistall it in order to instal Ventrilo 3.0.0

But.. the only thing named as Ventrilo I have is this damn .exe!
And I can't install it..

Any idea what's happening?
It's driving me crazy... I tried every thing I know but nothing..

I have the same issue!!!

kr0n1x
December 29th, 2007, 09:39 PM
i've ubuntu gutsy 64bit and i can't hear other players in ventrilo, but i can hear ventrilo sounds (like warning etc)

i've this error:

Codec initialization failed:
Unable to find the specific codec

murka10
January 1st, 2008, 03:57 PM
Hi,
i start ventrilo 2.1.3, under setup i can't select my line... same problem like the person on page 18 has.
anyone know a fix?
http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/2043/85578579ff3.jpg

SvenW
January 2nd, 2008, 06:23 PM
Running the ventriloctl program (actually the runctrl.sh script) results in:

"Could not find Ventrilo window. Is Ventrilo running?"

I am staring at the open Ventrilo window so I am not sure why the script cannot find the window. If I remove the comment marks from the ventriloctrl.c so that it prints all the windows out, I see all my open windows being listed *except* the ventrilo window . . .

kr0n1x
January 4th, 2008, 06:14 PM
i solved my problem with ventrilo 2.1.4 and ubuntu gutsy 64 bit.

i readed 2 pages... i think i fixed my problem checking the codec file permissions.

i changed also the position of the new line in system.ini file... but putting it again at the last line it works anyway...

2 useful pages:
http://slinux.net/how-to-install-ventrilo-2-3-on-linux
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3668

good luck... anyway i'm using the 64bit version of msgsm32.acm (i think it is...) it is 19,5 kb.

arxix
January 4th, 2008, 07:22 PM
i solved my problem with ventrilo 2.1.4 and ubuntu gutsy 64 bit.

i readed 2 pages... i think i fixed my problem checking the codec file permissions.

i changed also the position of the new line in system.ini file... but putting it again at the last line it works anyway...

2 useful pages:
http://slinux.net/how-to-install-ventrilo-2-3-on-linux
http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=3668

good luck... anyway i'm using the 64bit version of msgsm32.acm (i think it is...) it is 19,5 kb.

The file I sent you is NOT the WIN x64bit one. If you try to use the file from a WIN x64 partition it will not work, you have to get the file from driversguide.com or a non x64 version of windows. Or as Kronix did, he got it from me.

Anyone want to host the correct version of the file for others to download?

Hope this helps some people.

-ArXiX

sh!ft
January 14th, 2008, 07:12 PM
I managed to make it work with arxix's help.

Put the file in the "/home/youruser/.wine/drive_c/windows/system" .. NOT system32.

Add the line to system.ini like it says, and then go into system32 and create a symbolic link to the system folders copy of msgsm32.dll.

IT ONLY WORKS with the file that is "24.5 KB (25088 bytes)" in size.

The 19kb breaks to high heaven, as does the smaller one.

BTW I'm running gutsy x86_64, enjoy.

andrewjoy
January 26th, 2008, 09:33 AM
Do we have any way to find out the protocall that vet uses to connect and emulate it in another program the same way pidgon connects to msn google talk ect ?

Or do vent servers have sum sort of check to confirm its a vent cliant ?

Totaltech
January 29th, 2008, 11:41 PM

cabextract

3. Download Ventrilo:

mkdir ~/ventrilo
cd ~/ventrilo

5. Edit the file:

7. Run vent:

cd ~/ventrilo
wine ./Ventrilo.exe

I have to preface this with this is only my second day using Ubuntu so please forgive my ignorances. I have installed all the packets but when i try to do the cabextract in step 4 I get a file does not exist

totaltech@totaltech-laptop:~/ventrilo$ cabextract /home/totaltech/Desktop/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe
/home/totaltech/Desktop/ventrilo-2.2.0-Windows-i386.exe: No such file or directory

please help the very very new guy.

thanks in advance

SBFC
February 9th, 2008, 07:34 AM
i start ventrilo 2.1.3, under setup i can't select my line...

I'm experiencing the same problem. I've tried Alsa, OSS, and both.

What's really driving me crazy is the fact I've had Ventrilo working with this soundcard before, only on a different system. But now, for whatever reason, just refuses to work.

applezip
February 9th, 2008, 08:49 AM
I cannot get ventriloctrl to use tilde (~ and `) as a key.

Other keys I can get working, like letters, but I can't get ~ to work.

Sil3n7
February 23rd, 2008, 06:04 AM
Hey, this is my first post here and i am really trying to make the complete switch from windows to ubuntu, all i have left is to get vent working.

I have done all of the steps on the first page and i believe i did them correctly, but when i try to run Ventrilo.exe with wine i get the error:

SHGetSpecialFolderPath failed.
Program aborting

in a pop-up. My terminal also gives me the error:

fixme:ntdll:FILE_GetNtStatus Converting errno 40 to STATUS_UNSUCCESSFUL
err:shell:SHGetFolderPathW Failed to create directory L"c:\\windows\\profiles\\drew\\Application Data".

i also get the second error when i run Warcraft 3 also. I'm very new to ubuntu so this could be a very obvious fix that i just missed. TY for any help

bulazeem
February 24th, 2008, 05:39 AM
It took me FOREVER to find out how to do this but once i found hikaricore's post, I was able to get ventriloctrl working in about 5 min. However, i still have one problem. Ventrilo now keys my microphone when i press tab (which is what i set it to) as well as "a". Any help there? Is there a way i can change the "a"?

edit: i think it does this because ventrilo is set to push to talk button "a" and so when i am in a game like wow and wow has the focus, since it is in wine just like ventrilo, a actually sends the signal to key the microphone.

ScottyBoyNow
February 24th, 2008, 01:07 PM
I can get it to work with sensitivity, to talk. But whenever I try use PTT, it doesn't. I am going to see if the ventriloctrl thing will work. If not, I am buggered!

Edit!

I can get the insert working now. I just got the OSS Drivers sorted out and that fixed it. Only problem now is the background Ventrilo with the 'insert' key.

Sammi
February 25th, 2008, 02:07 AM
@Sil3n7
Have you tries running winecfg once to create the default Windows folders?

Just write winecfg in a terminal and press enter.

Sil3n7
February 26th, 2008, 08:16 PM
yes, i have run the winecfg in terminal and when i browse the drive_c i have both the windows folder and Program Files folder. Still getting the same error though. i toyed around with using different versions of windows also but no luck there.

dutyandcourage@gmail.com
March 1st, 2008, 04:07 AM
I followed this guide and my vent allowed me to connect to servers and listen in on conversations. However I had some trouble with push to talk and lag while playing other games. After an hour of fiddling around I found that enabling hardware acceleration in the sound tab of the wine configuration utility solved this problem.

Also I was getting Abs Zero when I tried monitoring in the ventrilo client setup. I fixed this by enabling mic boost in the ubuntu volume control. I did this by opening my volume control opening preferences in the edit menu and then finding the Mic Boost (+20 DB) option and checking the check box. This enables the option in the switches tab of the volume control which you also have to check.

After that my vent was working perfectly. Still a couple sound glitches here and htere but they are hardly a problem.

Metaleks
March 15th, 2008, 07:36 AM
Okay, first let me start off by saying vent runs perfectly. Perfectly!

But. I can't seem to get runctrl to work. I've followed the guide to the word, any ideas as to what my problem may be?

Lazy8s
March 23rd, 2008, 03:22 AM
Bah I got my sound card ( X-Fi platinum ) to run with drivers I found here http://www.opensound.com/download.cgi but Ubuntu does not recognize me as having a sound device still. Now when I run ventrilo from wine I see:

~/ventrilo$ wine ventrilo
err:mixer:MIX_Open ioctl( /dev/mixer, SOUND_MIXER_DEVMASK ) failed ( Invalid argument )
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396 } not registered
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53 } could be created for context 0x17
{96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396 } not registered
err: ole:create_server class {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396 } not registered
fixme: ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err: ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396 } could be created for context 0x17
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53 } not registered
err: ole:CoGetClassObject class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53 } not registered
err: ole:create_server class {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53 } not registered
fixme: ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err: ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {a910187f-0

And when I join a vent server I get the message:

VoiceCommMixerStart: Non-mux based mixer does not have any connections.

Under Setup I choose Soundblaster X-FI as Output ( direct sound checked ), Default DirectSound device as input ( use direct sound checked ).

Then for hardware input mixer I have Mixer: Sound Blaster X-Fi, Mux:rec and then there are no choices for Line. I take this to mean my soundcard won't let me use my mic then?

SBFC
March 25th, 2008, 12:05 AM
Then for hardware input mixer I have Mixer: Sound Blaster X-Fi, Mux:rec and then there are no choices for Line. I take this to mean my soundcard won't let me use my mic then?

I'm having problems with the Line selection as well. Also, I don't even have a choice for Mux. I've had Vent working with this soundcard before, although I can't remember how many versions ago.

I can connect to a server and listen to conversations...just can't seem to get Line working so that I can talk. Very frustrating.

I've tried both ALSA and OSS.

Louis Cypher
March 26th, 2008, 08:20 PM
Finally got Vent working with World of Warcraft. This is the most recent patch. 2.4 i think. I tried a bunch of different setups but in the end this worked for me. This info was taken from the Winehq website.

First time it works flawlessly for me.
by Alexander Lindskog on Wednesday December 12th 2007, 7:44
Hi guys.

I managed to get Vent running without any of the problems I used to have (no ALSA, no Push-to-talk). I'm positive it has something to do with the latest wine update but in case this helps you here are the settings I used. (all other combinations failed to work :) )

Wine 0.9.50

Winecfg:
-Audio:
--ALSA
--Hardware acceleration: Full
--Driver emulation: Checked

Vent:
Output device: Default DirectSound device
-Use Direct Sound: Checked

Input device: Default wave mapper
-Use Direct Sound: Not checked

Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey: Not checked

The only thing I did not need was the last line, Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey: Not checked. I left it checked and all is well. Also in WoW make sure the option under Sound & Voice --> Sound Options--> Game Sound Output--> uncheck Use Hardware.

The push-to-talk works great and the sound is just like in Winblows. The only problem, which is not a problem really, is after the character select screen there is beep from the speakers but that lasts less than a second.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10+Gnome
Dell XPS 410n
audio is Sigmatel STAC9227

MemoryDump
March 26th, 2008, 08:28 PM
Finally got Vent working with World of Warcraft. This is the most recent patch. 2.4 i think. I tried a bunch of different setups but in the end this worked for me. This info was taken from the Winehq website.

The only thing I did not need was the last line, Use Direct Input to detect Hotkey: Not checked. I left it checked and all is well. Also in WoW make sure the option under Sound & Voice --> Sound Options--> Game Sound Output--> uncheck Use Hardware.

The push-to-talk works great and the sound is just like in Winblows. The only problem, which is not a problem really, is after the character select screen there is beep from the speakers but that lasts less than a second.

I'm running Ubuntu 7.10+Gnome
Dell XPS 410n
audio is Sigmatel STAC9227

how did you setup the push-to-talk? just vent itself? or the script mentioned in this post?

Louis Cypher
March 26th, 2008, 09:09 PM
The push-to-talk was setup in vent. I didn't use the script in this post. Also I'm running WoW in windowed mode, under video options, with Maximized option selected. Hope that helps

SBFC
March 27th, 2008, 01:11 AM

Thanks for posting this...Vent actually works now..even if I have nothing selected for Mixer, Mux, and Line.

Only problem now is that PTT isn't working...even with VentriloCtrl...more tinkering to do yet.

Shadowfire
April 1st, 2008, 04:15 AM
Anyway I eagerly await Teamspeak 3 and a native Ventrilo for linux, I only wish we had a GPL product in the mix but seeing as I can't code that myself I wont complain :)

Endy,

Just FYI, there is a GPL product called Mumble. You can get it here:

http://mumble.sourceforge.net/

I use it... It is wonderful.. Infact TS3 will be stealing something that it has been doing for a long time - 3D positional audio. Check it out.

Enjoy!

Coolbreeze...
April 2nd, 2008, 02:54 AM
So, Theoretically could we Recode Ventrilo to run on Linux? If I were to attempt this what kind of programming language does Ventrilo use?...C++ or some thing else...any one know? Then I assume I'd be converting it to some type of UNIX language.

Anyone know what 2 languages and where I can fin documentation on each of them. And possibly some kind of Editor...what program would I use to edit the code then compile it?

Or am I just an Idiot and this is basically Impossible?

Thanks

Anamatronix
April 3rd, 2008, 01:59 PM
Long time reader, first time poster :P

I've been reading and rereading this thread, struggling to get vent running. And I have (woot). However I've gotten to the point a lot of posters have, and that is I can't get my mic to be recognised and actually speak to people. Similar to someone posting ealier, using a logitech usb headset; I don't get lag or any probs with hearing people.

I've only really just started using ubuntu, so I'm fairly noob. So people who have gotten their mics working, can we please get a little more detailed discription? I don't need PTT or WoW or anythign else running- just need to be able to talk :P

Appreciation will be shown with caek for any help :)

Sammi
April 4th, 2008, 06:01 PM
Long time reader, first time poster :P

I've been reading and rereading this thread, struggling to get vent running. And I have (woot). However I've gotten to the point a lot of posters have, and that is I can't get my mic to be recognised and actually speak to people. Similar to someone posting ealier, using a logitech usb headset; I don't get lag or any probs with hearing people.

I've only really just started using ubuntu, so I'm fairly noob. So people who have gotten their mics working, can we please get a little more detailed discription? I don't need PTT or WoW or anythign else running- just need to be able to talk :P

Appreciation will be shown with caek for any help :)Do you hear yourself in the headphones when you speak in the microphone?

If not then the mic might be turned off in the audio mixer app you can find in the top right corner, besides the clock.

Louis Cypher
April 9th, 2008, 09:09 PM
Just a follow up to using Vent with WoW. I haven't changed my settings from the previous post, they are working fine. I was having a problem when holding the ALT key while fighting, I use macros, and I would be pressing the right mouse button at the same time. When I did that I would get a Metacity right-click menu. Needless to say this sucked and would sometimes lock up the ALT button which screwed Vent from capturing my PTT button. This is what I did to disable that from happening:

I use gconf-editor installed from the repo's

1. Launch gconf-editor
2. go to apps->metacity->general
3. in the right pane scroll to the option mouse_button_modifier
4. Double click and change <Alt> to <Super> or <Ctrl> or <Shift> or any other key you want to use.

Like I said this was a minor annoyance but maybe this will help someone else.

Mushed
May 7th, 2008, 09:27 PM
So I've been trying to get Wine and Vent going for a while now, but I keep running into some problems.
I'm running Hardy LTS and the newest Wine whatever version that might be.
So I can get sound through Vent where I can hear eveyone talking, but no matter what I do I get this error: Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc = -10
There is no other program open.
I have my wine set up as OSS, driver emulation on. And I have tried many other variations and differnt settings.
Pleaze Halp.

Sammi
May 10th, 2008, 06:58 PM
So I've been trying to get Wine and Vent going for a while now, but I keep running into some problems.
I'm running Hardy LTS and the newest Wine whatever version that might be.
So I can get sound through Vent where I can hear eveyone talking, but no matter what I do I get this error: Failed to open input device. Another program might have it open already. rc = -10
There is no other program open.
I have my wine set up as OSS, driver emulation on. And I have tried many other variations and differnt settings.
Pleaze Halp.The problem is that Wine is using OSS. OSS is old and technically challenged. It doesn't allow more than one program to access the sound card at a time. Ideally you should use the newer ALSA in stead, but it doesn't work that well for everyone in Wine. That why I've written this guide for routing OSS through ALSA, by using a little and genious application named alsa-oss:

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/WorldofWarcraft#head-9f4c9e2df7bf2ce0429e495e9e6e55f58eac4e49

ducks
May 11th, 2008, 04:25 AM
i think i have figured it out i have edited the runctrl.sh file to use left ctrl but in vent i have it set "a" as the hot key and it works fine :)

noob of all noobs
May 14th, 2008, 11:47 PM
hello.
I just siwtcheds over to ubuntu 8.04 this week after using windows for many years. After much diffiulty I have gotten everything to work except xfi drivers (had to resort to onboard sound) which is not an issue. Now I'm trying to get ventrilo to work in wine and I have no sound. I followed all of the how-to's I could find http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832
etcetc but no luck. I've tried to run it using OSS, ALSA and tried to run it with alsa-oss and got these errors:

ephex@ephex-desktop:~$ aoss wine /ephex/.wine/drive_c/Program\Files/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libaoss.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
ERROR: ld.so: object '/usr/$LIB/libaoss.so' from LD_PRELOAD cannot be preloaded: ignored.
wine: cannot find '/ephex/.wine/drive_c/ProgramFiles/Ventrilo/Ventrilo.exe'
ephex@ephex-desktop:~$

maybe I'm doing something unbelievably stupid (more then likely) but I don't know what it is. As I've been looking through these forums for 2 days now this is a last resort. I hope this is enough information sorry for being such a linux noob.
thanks in advance!

katyl
May 15th, 2008, 06:13 AM
Noob,
If you're copy and pasting that, looks like your missing the /home at the start of the command...

aoss wine /home/ephex/.wine/drive_c/Program\ Files/Ventrilo\Ventrilo.exe
Make sure you're getting the proper case on the file name, but if I remember right from when I had vent installed, it's right.

TuckLive
May 20th, 2008, 08:24 AM
I'm running Wine in 8.04 and when I try to connect to a server I get an error about not having the codecs. Where can I get these and where would they go?

Sammi
May 20th, 2008, 05:25 PM
I'm running Wine in 8.04 and when I try to connect to a server I get an error about not having the codecs. Where can I get these and where would they go?
That's covered in steps 5 and 6 in the guide.

Christor
May 26th, 2008, 05:29 PM
I'm running Wine in 8.04 in a 64-bit environment and I just finished installing Ventrilo 2.1.4.
I added "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" to the system.ini file and I added msgsm32.acm to the system directory.

Here is my issue: I still get the "Codec Initialization failed: Unable to find the specified codec." error.

And before you post an answer, YES! I have done all the steps provided in the HowTo correctly and I have set Ventrilo to use the GSM 6.10 codec.
(DSP Group TreuSpeech and Lernout & Hauspie works, but the Ventrilo server use GSM 6.10 codec)

*Fixed
I had a msgsm32.acm both in system and system32 directory, Ventrilo was probably not sure which one to use.

Vidar'
May 27th, 2008, 06:00 PM
Did all this, and I too have a problem with the GSM codec..

Removed msgsm file from system32 so it was only in system, and it still doesn't work. Downloaded all GSM codec files via synaptic but that didn't help.

Any ideas?

Unable to initialize outbound codec (GSM 6.10 - 44 KHz, 16 bit): Unable to find the specified codec.

P.S. Can't hear anyone, or broadcast.

cykotiktek
June 8th, 2008, 09:57 PM
Ok i am stuck I play WoW on 8.04 no real issues but with ventrilo I can speak they can hear me but i can't hear them. I have tried all of the different settings in ventrilo and i have had it working in the past I am wondering if an update didn't kill something.

Also if i am playing WoW i can only have sound from one thing like if i start WoW first vent will not work at all but if i start vent i have no sound in wow

BongoBob
June 9th, 2008, 10:16 PM
Hello everyone.

I have followed every step in both the Ventrilo and Ventctrl guide, and have a problem. Vent runs, and I am able to connect to my World of Warcraft Guild's Ventrilo server. However, upon connecting, after 2 or 3 seconds I am unable to push the button to talk. It doesn't register the button. If I go into settings and reset the keybinding, it works again for 2 or 3 seconds before it stops working again.

Any tips on how I can solve this?

blithen
June 12th, 2008, 10:32 PM
--Incase anyone else stumbles upon this post,
--You can download ventriloctrl here: http://np1.pp.fi/ventriloctrl/ventriloctrl-0.3.tar.gz
--I've also mirrored it here just incase the creator's site is down: http://hikaricore.googlepages.com/ventriloctrl-0.3.tar.gz

You need to compile ventriloctrl to run it.

Direct from the README file:

So you will first need to install build-essential if you never have:

sudo apt-get install build-essential

Then the development libraries for Xorg (this should be enough):

sudo apt-get install xorg-dev

Then run:

make

From the directory you extracted ventrilocontrol into.

it should output something like this:

If get an error, let me know I'll try and figure out what dev files I missed.

Now for configuring it, this part is fun.

You will need to find out what device your system uses for input. For example on my system it's:

/dev/input/event1

Yours may differ. So you need to run

sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event#

Replacing the # with numbers ranging from 0 to 6, example:

sudo ./findkey /dev/input/event0

Upon running this command press some keys on your keyboard, if you don't see any output in the terminal hit Ctrl+C to exit the program and try the next number. Like I said it varries.

Once you find the correct /dev/input/event# press the key you want to use for vent, remember the number it outputs in the terminal, then you'll need to edit the runctrl.sh file.

pico runctrl.sh

Which will look something like this:

INPUT_KEY="97"

# Don't touch

Replace the input_key with the number from the key you chose for your vent key, then replace (if needed) the /dev/input/event# with the one you found to work on your system.

Hit Ctrl+o to save. Then Ctrl+x to close pico.

Now for the tricky part.

Ventrilo Control requires the ability to read and write to the device you've chosen.

There are a number of ways to do this but I'll tell you the one that will work and stay working.

We're going to write a udev rule so that the group ventrilo has read/write access to your event device.

sudo groupadd ventrilo

Replace YOURUSERNAME with the username you plan to be using on Ubuntu at the time of running vent.

Now to write the udev rule.

sudo pico /etc/udev/rules.d/10-local.rules

This may bring up a new blank file, this is pretty much expected in newer versions of Ubuntu.
But no worries, time to move on.

In this file, type or paste the following:
(Replacing the ??? with the number of the /dev/input/event# device you found to work, for example if it was /dev/input/event2, replace ??? with the number 2.)

Hit Ctrl+o to save and Ctrl+x to exit pico.

One last step, we need to reload udev.

sudo /etc/init.d/udev restart

Now you should be able to run the file in your ventriloctrl directory called runctrl.sh.

./runctrl.sh

You will need to have vent running before you start this script.

Let me know if you have any problems.

--Aaron

Sources used for figuring out this damn mess:
random thoughts : by Imago (http://imago.devinity.de/)
Writing udev rules (http://reactivated.net/writing_udev_rules.html)
Incase anyone needs to further understand the udev segment.
this doesn't work for me I need more help. it just doesn't work.

byzantines2000
June 20th, 2008, 04:40 PM
I have an issue stating that it is "unable to activate directsound for selected device. DirectSoundCaptureCreate failed, hr = 80004005"

where did I go wrong? lol

edkuk13
June 20th, 2008, 10:25 PM
I have found a solution to my problem without much stepwork. I am using Ubuntu 8.04, vent 3.x, and wine 1.0. Follow this link and easy steps and it may work for you.

http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832

Eric

ps I had to use ALSA for WoW, Vent, and Ubuntu 8.04

I used WoW in full screen

hikaricore
June 21st, 2008, 08:03 AM
this doesn't work for me I need more help. it just doesn't work.

I wrote that guide over a year ago and it seems it no longer works the same way with the new version of Ventrilo.
I've added a warning to the top of my original post and will be removing the link from my signature line.

Best of luck,

--Aaron

Mahinva
June 21st, 2008, 03:56 PM
In following the instructions here (http://appdb.winehq.org/objectManager.php?sClass=version&iId=9832), I find myself unable to locate the "system.ini" file that should be found in /.wine/drive_c/windows/. I found this thread, and attempted to follow step 5, however this seems to verify that no system.ini files exists.

Where can I find a copy of system.ini? If someone posts the contents of their system.ini (a copy that's not been modified) - could I essentially copy that text and create a system.ini of my own?

Alternatively, since I am dualbooting Ubuntu and Windows XP - I could look for a system.ini file in XP. However, I am uncertain whether the file in XP has been altered - I'm uncertain the purpose of system.ini and don't want to risk putting a file that may confuse Wine somehow. Is it okay just to go into XP and copy the system.ini file?

I already have "MSACM.msgsm610=msgsm32.acm" installed it in the appropriate folder.

darkpck
June 30th, 2008, 04:40 AM
Worked for me. Thanks a bunch.~

locosway
July 8th, 2008, 04:36 PM
I wrote that guide over a year ago and it seems it no longer works the same way with the new version of Ventrilo.
I've added a warning to the top of my original post and will be removing the link from my signature line.

Best of luck,

--Aaron

After spending a few hours reading this thread and others like it I've come to the conclusion that PTT is broken in the current version of wine/ventrilo.

Hikaricore, not sure if you're planning on working on a newer version of your script. It would be nice if you would get something working and then submit it to wine so they can think about incorporating it. If I knew how to program I'd do it myself.

Either way, if someone knows how to get PTT working in Vent without having it as the focus I'd be interested to hear how you did it.

trashguy
July 9th, 2008, 09:28 AM
I have gotten PTT to work on my mouse with ventrolctrl. You just have to make 2 changes:

Edit ventriloctrl.c:

You can change this line to any key you want that is supported by linux/input.h Here is a list: http://lxr.linux.no/linux/include/linux/input.h

#define KEYCODE XK_A

I use T just because it isn't a key I use in WoW

#define KEYCODE XK_T

Save the file and go throught he make porcess. Then edit runctrl.sh On my G5 mouse the thumb button is 275

EVENT_DEVICE="/dev/input/event2"
INPUT_KEY="275"

So far everything has been working out, hope that helps some people,

tisepti
July 11th, 2008, 07:22 AM
Ive run into an error where ventrilo is unable to play voices coming in. I am able to hear other sounds of ventrilo such as login and logout as well as seeing names light up. Other wine programs work fine with sound as well.

I have tried reinstalling ventrilo and replacing my msgsm32.acm as well as playing arround with vent settings. I had previously been able to hear fine. I have not changed anything about ventrilo or wine prior to this bug (that I know of).

My wine console log is as follows (I cant read it well enough to tell if there is something significant in it).

all of this happens at startup - nothing shows up in the log as a result of a new voice comming in.

fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {96749377-3391-11d2-9ee3-00c04f797396} could be created for context 0x17
fixme:ole:CoGetClassObject CLSCTX_REMOTE_SERVER not supported
err:ole:CoGetClassObject no class object {a910187f-0c7a-45ac-92cc-59edafb77b53} could be created for context 0x17
fixme:richedit:RichEditWndProc_common WM_STYLECHANGING: stub

T313C0mun1s7
July 13th, 2008, 05:10 AM

--Flag

-Sno
You posted this in 2005 and we are now halfway through 2008 - I guess we know where they stand!! Oh and they are up to version 3.0.1 now. :lolflag:

Nectar
July 21st, 2008, 07:05 AM
Trying to run the make command....

blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ make /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3
make: Nothing to be done for `/home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3'.
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3 make
bash: /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3: is a directory
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3 make
bash: ventriloctrl-0.3: command not found
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3$ make
bash: ventriloctrl-0.3$: command not found
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3$ make
bash: /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3$: No such file or directory
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ make ventrilocrl.c
make: *** No rule to make target `ventrilocrl.c'. Stop.
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3 (.6Mb)]$ make
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `.6Mb'
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$

Not sure what to do to get it from the folder directory.. help please :-/

aoanla
July 21st, 2008, 12:41 PM
Trying to run the make command....

blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ make /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3
make: Nothing to be done for `/home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3'.
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3 make
bash: ventriloctrl-0.3: command not found
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3$ make
bash: ventriloctrl-0.3$: command not found
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3$ make
bash: /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3$: No such file or directory
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ make ventrilocrl.c
make: *** No rule to make target `ventrilocrl.c'. Stop.
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$ ventriloctrl-0.3 (.6Mb)]$ make
bash: syntax error near unexpected token `.6Mb'
blaze@blaze-desktop:~$

Not sure what to do to get it from the folder directory.. help please :-/

Something tells me that you're not at home in a terminal.

You want to change directory to the /home/blaze/Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3 directory first, and then run make.
So

cd ./Desktop/ventriloctrl-0.3
make

(The . means "start from the directory I'm presently in" - your starting directory in a terminal is your home directory - /home/blaze )

Nectar
July 21st, 2008, 12:54 PM
Got it. Thanks a ton!

bartoruiz
July 28th, 2008, 09:19 PM
For those people that reboot and reboot until they got ventriloctrl to work.

The answer is simple, event ID changes for your keyboard when you restart (at least on my USB keyb)

So I made this little addon to the script to look for the correct event for my Keyboard, feel free to use it or improve it

#!/bin/sh

killall ventriloctrl

DEVICESEARCH=`cat /proc/bus/input/devices | awk '/BTC Multimedia USB Keyboard/{getline;getline;getline;getline;print}' | awk '{print $3}'`

EVENT_DEVICE="/dev/input/$DEVICESEARCH"
INPUT_KEY="56"

sudo chown root:ventrilo $EVENT_DEVICE
sleep 1

# Don't touch

The chown part makes sure ventrilo group has read access (you need to be part of that group ofc)

afallenhope
August 7th, 2008, 12:39 AM
Hey great tutorial!

Thanks a lot.
I've noticed the audio quality is realllly high. so be sure to change it when you sign in and stuff.
cheers,

afh

T313C0mun1s7
August 7th, 2008, 01:00 AM
Hey great tutorial!

Thanks a lot.
I've noticed the audio quality is realllly high. so be sure to change it when you sign in and stuff.
cheers,

afh

AH . . . I don't thing quality is the word you are looking for here. If it is, why would you want to lower it?

Hmm . . . Volume maybe??

Krusnix
August 7th, 2008, 06:26 AM
Hey guys I'm having some trouble using a usb logitech headset with ventrilo. The issue being when I click setup, it does not show me the logitech usb headset for input and output options. I like to hear music through my speakers, and talk to my friends via the headset so it makes it a little troublesome for me (especially since I can only hear them talk.) I've looked around including the guide at the wow website "http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/thread.html?topicId=2200220013&sid=1", but I get stuck at the first step since my terminal doesnt recognize the [precat] stuff. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated.

T313C0mun1s7
August 7th, 2008, 07:10 AM
Hey guys I'm having some trouble using a usb logitech headset
The issue is the headset. They are known to be problematic with Linux depending on which one you have. Mine works great, but I know there are models with issues.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ubuntu+logitech+headset&ie=UTF-8

Krusnix
August 7th, 2008, 09:13 PM
I do see that, but the thing is ubuntu can see the usb headset (since i'm able to actually set the audio settings to it at night when i want to listen to music, and i can hear myself through it when "test" it), and even the wine software sees the "USB Mixer" under the oss settings (unfortunately it doesnt see it via the alsa stuff).

EDIT: I somehow got it somewhat working. I set everything to OSS in sounds, and I set the wine drivers to use oss. The problem now is the fact that now when I choose usb audio for the output and input, I can only hear what people are saying once I press setup. As if it cannot handle simultaneous streams.. So currently it outputs to my speakers, and uses my headset as the input.

connorh123
August 9th, 2008, 11:38 PM
For some reason I can't use my mic. My hotkey is ctrl and I still can't talk. Any help?

T313C0mun1s7
August 10th, 2008, 02:32 AM
For some reason I can't use my mic. My hotkey is ctrl and I still can't talk. Any help?
Unlike when native running under windows, wine can only capture the hotkey when the program is in focus. Without more information I can't tell if this is your issue or not, but it is why I gave up and went back to windows. Ventrilo is useless if I can't use it while in game.