PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use it?

LucasG
April 21st, 2007, 07:29 PM
I mean, personally, I like to try out new OSes and when I'm bored what better than trying Linux and testing a new OS (for me at least). Why do you use it? Because you can't do gaming which is what I do the most. What do you use it for? I'm trying to see a reason to install it and play with it and use it from time to time. :p

bonzodog
April 21st, 2007, 07:39 PM
You can game on linux - I have played doom 3, i have Simcity 4 on here, you can also play WoW, and UT2004 - 7, the entire Quake series....the list goes on. Admittedly, Simcity and WoW rely on Wine, but thats no biggie with the latest versions of it.

I use Linux as I know nothing else, and the windows UI is fugly IMO, and unintuitive.
I also heavily believe in the ideals of Open Source and GNU.

Have had Linux for 10 years as the sole Home OS on my PC now - windows crashed too easily.

esaym
April 21st, 2007, 07:45 PM
Linux is free and I like it way better. I can install any program I want with just a few commands into the console.

No viri or spywayre.

There are lots of games that work on linux.

EdThaSlayer
April 21st, 2007, 09:05 PM
Linux has free tech support. :)

karellen
April 21st, 2007, 09:32 PM
because I like it!

sunexplodes
April 21st, 2007, 09:42 PM
I use Ubuntu because I have a very clear understanding of what I want my computer to do, and how I want it done. I can customize this OS to my specifications without a lot of trouble and with no roadblocks for the most part. I can do all of the things I enjoy using a computer for (web browsing, communication, music-jukeboxing, video, even a little bit of old-school gaming) without having to worry much about security, virii, spyware, or crashes.

Smooth sailing is what I want, and it's what this OS has delivered, more or less.

Rutabega
April 21st, 2007, 09:58 PM
I migrated from Windows XP in 2005.I was fed up of viruses, spy-ware et al.I didn't like that I actually had to pay for anti-virus software, and even then there would be new threats that would emerge, that wasn't addressed in the anti-virus software. Another reason was that I was slowly losing interest in PC gaming. Mostly the constant upgrade schedule and the expense of actually upgrading.

Happy_Man
April 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Because my computer took 13 mins to boot before, and now it takes 1. Go figure.

INFERNO2K
April 21st, 2007, 10:08 PM
Vista runs slow on this laptop, Dell Inspiron 1501. I get things done faster in Ubuntu.

Hex_Mandos
April 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Because I don't agree with Vista's EULA, mostly. I was alreeady fed up with windows (I've hated it since 95, the version in which they decided it would be best for me not to know what happens under the hood), but I wanted to keep playing games. I had to reformat my drive and do a clean install of Windows last december, and I decided I'd install a distro for fun. A few months later, I deleted my XP partition to make room for Edgy, as I realized I'm not gaming so much anymore.

Nonno Bassotto
April 22nd, 2007, 02:01 AM
It's a strange question. You seem to assume I should use something else. I use it simply because I prefer it over other OS. The things I like most are Synaptic, LIsten, Evince and gThumb, not to mention being able to work with remote folders (e.g. ftp) as if they were local and having a preview for audio files. I use ot for everything, from browsing to listening to music, to some web design and LaTeX work. I should mention that I don't game a lot, and mostly I play Enigma.