PDA

View Full Version : Punk/Punk Rock Fans!

Baelfael
April 21st, 2007, 05:34 AM
Who here is a fan of Punk or Punk Rock? Tell us your favorite band and if you follow the style.

My favorite is The Sex Pistols. Always will be. One of my idols is John Lydon, and I'll never get tired of their music, despite the few songs they made.

I also made myself a Johnny Rotten DESTROY shirt today.

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM
Sex Pistols, Dead Kennedys, The Misfits, JFA, Minor Threat. I do not follow the style anymore. Doesn't seem so proper as a 42 yr old father of 3, but it was fun way back when. . .

:)

darweth
April 21st, 2007, 06:18 AM
Hi. I like loads of punk rock of many different styles.

Some of my favorites: The Lawrence Arms, The Wipers, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Soviettes, Jawbreaker, Leatherface, Minor Threat, Crimpshrine, Pinhead Gunpowder, Husker Du, The Ramones, The Clash, Alkaline Trio, Dead Moon, The Buzzcocks, The Descendents, Riverboat Gamblers, The Replacements, Hot Water Music, The Weakerthans, Hickey, Rudimentary Peni, Tragedy, His Hero is Gone, Dead Kennedys, **** Sparrer, Television, The Saints... anyway.. I could go on forever. Sorry!

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 06:20 AM
Hi. I like loads of punk rock of many different styles.

Some of my favorites: The Lawrence Arms, The Wipers, Black Flag, Bad Brains, The Soviettes, Jawbreaker, Leatherface, Minor Threat, Crimpshrine, Pinhead Gunpowder, Husker Du, The Ramones, The Clash, Alkaline Trio, Dead Moon, The Buzzcocks, The Descendents, Riverboat Gamblers, The Replacements, Hot Water Music, The Weakerthans, Hickey, Rudimentary Peni, Tragedy, His Hero is Gone, Dead Kennedys, **** Sparrer, Television, The Saints... anyway.. I could go on forever. Sorry!

No need to be sorry. You named a s**tload of awesome bands!! :guitar:

Baelfael
April 21st, 2007, 07:15 AM
No need to be sorry. You named a s**tload of awesome bands!! :guitar:
Hell yeah. I love the Clash and The Ramones as well. I need to get into Dead Kennedys more. I'm also a ska-punk fan.

fuscia
April 21st, 2007, 07:22 AM
some of the lest stupid band names in the history of rock. sex pistols were a blast and i love the real mckenzies (neo-punk, i guess). the clash, imltho, took a giant dive from london calling to whatever that album with rock the casbah was called.

macogw
April 21st, 2007, 08:36 AM
I'm more into ska-punk (and really old ska) than punk rock, so my list is short and not-so-old and not-so-pure-punk (i like hybrids) :p

attempting not to name any with too much ska influence (i'm using "if it lacks horns, has ska rhythm, but goes really fast/aggressive, it counts" and "if it has horns or if it's ska rhythm and slow, it doesn't")
afi (favourite)
minor threat
fugazi (a little)
the clash (though they did have some ska influence)
nofx
anti-flag (local)
the code (local)
dropkick murphy
flogging molly
the ramones
son of sam (yeah, i *really* like davey havok's voice)

karellen
April 21st, 2007, 08:41 AM
I happen to like sex pistols, the clash, the ramones, blondie, duran duran...:)

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 08:44 AM
Minor Threat's cover of Steppin' Stone is still the definivtive version in my opinion!

Have any of you ever heard of a psychedelic band called Dementia 13?

jariku
April 21st, 2007, 08:54 AM
Doesn't seem so proper as a 42 yr old father of 3, but it was fun way back when. . .
Humbug! Ian MacKaye, Henry Rollins, Leatherface, NoMeansNo, Subhumans (both UK and Canaduh) and the like are still around and they're all over 40 and possibly parents.

Perfect Storm
April 21st, 2007, 08:56 AM
Where do I sign up? :)

steven8
Humbug! Ian MacKaye, Henry Rollins, Leatherface, NoMeansNo, Subhumans (both UK and Canaduh) and the like are still around and they're all over 40 and possibly parents.

Okay, it doesn't feel proper to ME, as a 42 yr old father of three. :)

graabein
I like the New York 70's stuff, especially Velvet Underground, Television, The Stooges, MC5 etc, and The Saints and Gang of Four are great, and many already mentioned.

I just saw Buzzcocks and The Vibrators play and I've recently seen both Dead Moon and The Ex. Great shows. Especially The Ex was fantastic.

You should check out Kjøtt (http://www.last.fm/music/Kj%C3%B8tt) from Norway and Ebba Grön (http://www.last.fm/music/Ebba+Gr%C3%B6n?q=ebba+gron) from Sweden. Very good punk bands from the 70-80's.

btw: Steve Holt!!!

EtniesBMX
April 21st, 2007, 08:59 AM
TRAGEDY! yes!

pop punk fans?? chixdiggit, the queers, steinways, screeching weasel? yes!

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 09:09 AM
A good friend of mine from High School is currently the bass player and webmaster for Missile Toe - The World's Greatest Christmas Band:

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=65643151

Gustav
April 21st, 2007, 09:30 AM
Especially The Ex was fantastic.
I saw them at the Roskilde festival last year and they were really, really great.

Some great band that have not been mentioned yet: The Birthday Party, The Jesus Lizard, Scratch Acid, Big Black and Refused.

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 09:31 AM
Speaking of Lizards. . .what about The Dead Milkmen?

Iceni
April 21st, 2007, 09:57 AM
Backyard babies:) Favorites are Ramones, but I like a lot of punk, both new and old school.

Anyway I signed up for the warped tour 2007, but it really seems like there are a lot of "emo" bands and no nofx this year.

http://www.warpedtour.com/warpedtour/band.asp

See anything I should see?:)

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 10:01 AM
You can't go wrong with Bad Religion. Also Agent Orange.

darweth
April 21st, 2007, 03:05 PM
TRAGEDY! yes!

pop punk fans?? chixdiggit, the queers, steinways, screeching weasel? yes!

Hehe. Yeah. I love Tragedy AND pop punk. The Steinways are from around here and I've seen them a couple of times but never really got into em. I do LOVE The Unlovables though. And The Ergs! + Queers, Screeching Weasel, etc. of course.

I also really like The Ex too! Especially the albums with Tom Cora.

Swab
April 21st, 2007, 03:10 PM
Stiff Little Fingers, Joy Division, Magazine..

ComplexNumber
April 21st, 2007, 03:29 PM
Who here is a fan of Punk or Punk Rock? Tell us your favorite band and if you follow the style.

My favorite is The Sex Pistols. Always will be. One of my idols is John Lydon, and I'll never get tired of their music, despite the few songs they made.

I also made myself a Johnny Rotten DESTROY shirt today.
punk would either not exist or have come much later than it did if it weren't for a band called the Velvet Underground. they are the forerunners of punk, indie, grunge, and the alternative scene.

the only punk that i like are the velvets, the buzzcocks(more for sentimental reasons because i liked them in my youth), and early joy division(although strictly speaking, joy division were post-punk indie).

I like the New York 70's stuff, especially Velvet Underground
the velvets proper didn't exist in the 1970's. john cale left in 1968 and lou reed left in 1970. there was an album called squeeze, but its not considered to be the velvets, except in name only. even some of the songs on loaded weren't sung by lou reed.

Swab
April 21st, 2007, 03:31 PM
punk would either not exist or have come much later than it did if it weren't for a band called the Velvet Underground. they are the forerunners of punk, indie, grunge, and the alternative scene.

Shame they suck :P

ComplexNumber
April 21st, 2007, 03:44 PM
Shame they suck :P
theyre actually really good. you'll be surprised at just how much they changed the face of music.....perhaps more than any other band in the last 40 odd years. they also had great diversity in their style, and went from squalling guitars to gentle love songs within an album. 4 of their members were classically trained from a young age. john cale played piano/organ, bass, and virtually any stringed instrument. he was also considered to be one of the best violaists in the world at one point, and was a child prodigy. lou reed was an accomplished pianist and guitarist. sterling morrison was classically trained on the trumpet, but he played guitar with the velvets.
in summary, not only were they amongst the most innovative bands in the last 40 years (many people would say that tey are thee most innovate) but they were also technically very good.

i'm surprised nobody has mentioned captain beefheart yet.

Swab
April 21st, 2007, 03:50 PM
in summary, not only were they amongst the most innovative bands in the last 40 years (many people would say that tey are thee most innovate) but they were also technically very good.

Only pulling your leg...

I saw you hanging from a tree, and I made believe it was me :)

ComplexNumber
April 21st, 2007, 03:52 PM
Only pulling your leg...

I saw you hanging from a tree, and I made believe it was me :)
no, you just gave me a good excuse to write more ;)

"i'm sticking with you". hehe

Nolander
April 21st, 2007, 03:59 PM
MCR Rocks!

Gerard Way is my hero....

Smiles :) ,
NOlander

graabein
April 21st, 2007, 04:23 PM
the velvets proper didn't exist in the 1970's. john cale left in 1968 and lou reed left in 1970. there was an album called squeeze, but its not considered to be the velvets, except in name only. even some of the songs on loaded weren't sung by lou reed.

Yeah I know :) Got all their albums and some solo albums by Lou Reed and John Cale and also Nico. I mentioned them in the same breath because they're like you say, considered the first punk band -- along with Jonathan Richman & The Modern Lovers -- and also some say The Who (covered very nicely by Patti Smith)... The term punk came from a NY fanzine from the period of CBGB's and Max's Kansas City. You all know the story as well as I, I'm just rambling :)

graabein
April 21st, 2007, 04:26 PM
Captain Beefheart is very good but calling him punk-punk rock is stretching it a bit I think :)

Mirror man mirror me! I'm gonna give him a listen tonight. Got a bottle of wine and staying in.

:guitar: :popcorn:

stephenbrazier
December 19th, 2007, 02:19 PM
Anti-Flag, MCR, Autopilot off, Greenday, Fall out Boy, etc. etc..

I dislike the Sex Pistols though. For old folks from the 1970's who wanna be kwl like us teens :lolflag:

BTW folks...

CHAVS STINK - EMO RULEZ

look at chav in wikipedia if ur american coz u dont say the same words as us. CBA explaining it :lolflag:

:guitar:

lvleph
December 19th, 2007, 02:37 PM
Three pages and Crass did not come up once? WTF? Yeah, punk rock.

p_quarles
December 19th, 2007, 02:53 PM
Three pages and Crass did not come up once? WTF? Yeah, punk rock.
+1 for that.

Wearing one of my Crass t-shirts as we speak, in fact.

de_valentin
December 19th, 2007, 02:58 PM
I was more of a deathmetal fan but if was fast, loud, and full of energy I liked it.

NoFX probably the best band ever (for me at least) as well as their side project
Me First and the gimme gimmies
Bad Religion and the most commercial of all Offspring
D.R.I.
I know there is more I like I just don't know them.

I saw the Exploited once that was pretty cool to, good pit as well.

I remember the look on my nieces face when I said that NoFX is the best band (she considered herself to be very well educated in what was good music) Quality was never the reason why I liked a band or not. But I guess that is normal when you're a Punker.

Capricori
December 19th, 2007, 03:03 PM
Anti-Flag, The Unseen, The Buzzcocks, AFI, Pennywise, Sonic Boom Six...
And +1 for just about every band already mentioned (the one's I've heard of anyways) :)

Except for My Chemical Romance... It's just not punk. It's barely even music, but I CBA to argue that point :)

atomkarinca
December 19th, 2007, 03:10 PM
Definitely The Clash.

And does The Offspring count as punk? If so that, too.

steelcap
December 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Minor Threat's cover of Steppin' Stone is still the definitive version in my opinion!

Go grab yourself a Monkees cd and listen to the original version.

Lord_Dicranius
December 19th, 2007, 03:42 PM
Just got into punk recently (about 2 years ago), so most of the stuff I listen to is new. Propagandhi, Anti-Flag, Rise Against, Bad Religion, The Vandals.

de_valentin
December 19th, 2007, 03:46 PM
If you like cover songs you shoud try Me first and the gimme gimmes, you have never heard "hello" like that before, or "tomorrow" or any other song they do.

lvleph
December 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
+1 for that.

Wearing one of my Crass t-shirts as we speak, in fact.

I am always wearing my crass tattoo. Not that that makes me punk. What makes me punk is that it is f**ked up. lol

Lord_Dicranius
December 19th, 2007, 05:20 PM
I am always wearing my crass tattoo. Not that that makes me punk. What makes me punk is that it is f**ked up. lol

:lolflag:

Dixon Bainbridge
December 19th, 2007, 05:27 PM
Some of my favs over the years include:

Minutemen
Husker Du
Circle Jerks
DRI
Adrenalin OD
Saccharine Trust
New Bomb Turks
The Damned
The Clash
Motorhead

Music genres are weird things. Its more about dress sense than music. Stravinsky was a punk, but he wore a suit. Rites of Spring is a punk classic.

Motorhead wrote one of the best pop songs ever in Ace Of Spades, yet the dress like a metal band and get called metal.

Its all about the dress sense.

lespaul_rentals
December 19th, 2007, 06:13 PM
I love ska and punk a lot. Ramones, Dead Kennedys, The Casualties, The Adicts, The Misfits, The Unseen, Thought Riot, Bad Religion, Anti-Flag, Alkaline Trio (probably considered emo, actually), JB Conspiracy, Mad Caddies, The Queers...

Good stuff. :KS

Crunky
October 15th, 2008, 11:11 PM
Hey, don't mean to bump a long-dead thread but I have an actually relevant link: Max's Kansas City's History of Punk Rock (http://www.maxskansascity.com/punk/).

It's kinda brief and focuses mostly on the New York scene, but all in all pretty good.

jgrabham
October 15th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Far from a punk, but love the Sex Pistols, The Clash, The Ramones... and countrylife butter :lolflag:

.jeger
October 15th, 2008, 11:25 PM
The Clash are, and will forever be, the only band that matters.

crimesaucer
October 15th, 2008, 11:26 PM
bad brains

Sealbhach
October 15th, 2008, 11:50 PM
Stiff Little Fingers.

Alternative Ulster.

http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=m2Gov4tTB7M