PDA

View Full Version : Why I hate Ubuntu

wowbuntu
June 14th, 2005, 09:20 AM
Hi there
I'm anewbie....I've tried several distros...Fedora, Mepis, Suse, PClinuxOS....and I must say that my LEAST fav is Ubuntu. You know something....the BIGGEST reason why Fedora is so popular is that it comes with 4 CDs which contain lots of stuff....now thats really nice for EVERYONE I think especially DIAL-UP people bcoz its so convenient for them. Anyway here goes my list of reasons for abominating Ubuntu...

1. Gnome-based (OK personal preference)
2. 1 CD-distro (Verrrrrrrrry BAD, very LITTLE stuff....on the other hand Fedora has LOTS of stuff AND by default includes the BEST of both worlds KDE & Gnome which is SUPERB! Many nice KDE apps are mising in Ubuntu)
3. Needs so much of manual tweaking to install the other much-needed apps (just see the unofficial documentation!)
4. Most packages are a bit OUTDATED (probably bcoz its Debian-based.....RPM-based distros like Fedora/Ark include the LATEST & the GREATEST!)
5. Fedora has probably the LARGEST community support...(OK things here are also NICE...credit where credit due :-)

Hope no one here gets too angry O:)

Just a newbie.....

Love

pdk001
June 14th, 2005, 09:26 AM
i'm totaly agree with you

poofyhairguy
June 14th, 2005, 09:33 AM

We have Kubuntu.

2. 1 CD-distro (Verrrrrrrrry BAD, very LITTLE stuff....on the other hand Fedora has LOTS of stuff AND by default includes the BEST of both worlds KDE & Gnome which is SUPERB! Many nice KDE apps are mising in Ubuntu)

We have a dvd:

http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/dvd/current/

Its breezy, but it is a DVD.

3. Needs so much of manual tweaking to install the other much-needed apps (just see the unofficial documentation!)

Yes, the unofficial documentation is quite nice, isn't it?

4. Most packages are a bit OUTDATED (probably bcoz its Debian-based.....RPM-based distros like Fedora/Ark include the LATEST & the GREATEST!)

Ubuntu backports is now an official part of Ubuntu:

http://backports.ubuntuforums.org/

5. Fedora has probably the LARGEST community support...(OK things here are also NICE...credit where credit due :-)

Honestly, Gentoo probably has the biggest. But size is not a good way to measure everything.

Adrenal
June 14th, 2005, 09:37 AM
Hi there
I'm anewbie....I've tried several distros...Fedora, Mepis, Suse, PClinuxOS....and I must say that my LEAST fav is Ubuntu. You know something....the BIGGEST reason why Fedora is so popular is that it comes with 4 CDs which contain lots of stuff....now thats really nice for EVERYONE I think especially DIAL-UP people bcoz its so convenient for them. Anyway here goes my list of reasons for abominating Ubuntu...

Just a newbie.....

Love
Odd, those are the reasons I like it
Tweaking, the sport of men

TeeJay
June 14th, 2005, 09:39 AM
i'm totaly agree with you

Fedora is nice but I fing it too restricting for my likeing, Ubuntu is easy to customise as seen by pdk001's screenshot, but that is the beauty of linux "choice" to do want you what you want with it, not what corparate fat cats think you should!! aka Microsoft.

wvslkr
June 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM
I just wonder where he got his 4 cd's; download or did they mail mutiple copies for free.

Peace Everyone. [-X

tom-ubuntu
June 14th, 2005, 09:46 AM
The nice thing about Ubuntu is, that it is just one CD. Concentrated on the desktop user, his daily work, and that's it. Not a lot of different apps for the same tasks. Simple, lean, ubuntu.

Fedora is a very nice distribution. But too much bloated in my opinion. Don't know about Core 4, but until FC3, is was this way. I prefer a slim standart installation and then download the rest I need from the net.

But thanks god we can choose our favorite distributions out of hundreds :)

codejunkie
June 14th, 2005, 09:47 AM
sounds like you just like fedora. it is a good distro at least fedora core 4 except it's been kinda pricky on all my systems grub won't install unless you dedicated all of the primary harddrive to fedora no dual-booting one would think this would be a MS trick.

lovebug356
June 14th, 2005, 10:04 AM
Who is the biggest? ( see Distrowatch)
Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 2314<
2 Mandriva 1635=
3 MEPIS 1379<
4 Fedora 1324<
5 SUSE 1233

poofyhairguy
June 14th, 2005, 10:07 AM
Who is the biggest? ( see Distrowatch)
Rank Distribution H.P.D*
1 Ubuntu 2314<
2 Mandriva 1635=
3 MEPIS 1379<
4 Fedora 1324<
5 SUSE 1233

That means nothing though. Those rankings are worse than polls.

kassetra
June 14th, 2005, 10:20 AM
Hi there

1. That's great you love Fedora. http://www.fedoraforum.org

2. It's about choice and respect. By your posting the reasons you so adamantly hate the distribution that those of us here, in general, love so very dearly, in such an inflammatory, non-productive way - you have clearly shown that you do not respect any of the individual choices we have made in choosing Ubuntu. That's awfully sad. Linux is not about why my distro can beat up yours, and it's very disheartening to read posts from people such as yourself that do not truly understand what Linux is about.

az
June 14th, 2005, 10:46 AM
If you have installed that many other distributions, you are not a newbie.

ssck
June 14th, 2005, 11:06 AM
Hi there

Just a newbie.....

Love

it's about personal choice .... if you don't like it ... well it's just toooooo bad :) .ubuntu meets the needs of those who would like to get a compact distro with sufficient software to do his/her daily stuff.as simple as that.

Juippisi
June 14th, 2005, 11:07 AM
Fedora and the RPM's, those are one hell. Oh how I remember those dependences and the days I fought with them.
And yes, backports is something nice that happened to Ubuntu, keep up the good work.

Poofyhairguy: nice post, i truly agree with you :).

Takis
June 14th, 2005, 11:22 AM
If you have installed that many other distributions, you are not a newbie.
However this is the first Debian-based install he(she?)'s done. Compared to the nice graphical ones of the distros wowbuntu listed, it is significantly scarier.

We have a dvd:
http://cdimage.ubuntulinux.org/dvd/current/
Its breezy, but it is a DVD.
You can get Breezy?
But how? Is it totally unstable at this point or something?
Slightly to the side, I have a Hoary DVD.

flurdy
June 14th, 2005, 11:53 AM
Like others above....

Which is why I like Ubuntu, but as mentioned thats why there is an Kubuntu.

Also why I like Ubuntu, first think I have always done post install of Mandrake etc, is to disable
the cd as a source and only use online repositories. I suppose I cant relate to dial up people anymore since it is 6 years since I had to suffer that, or anyone I know for that matter. Can you actually do anything over dial up anymore?

I think they seem very straight forward to me. But that is personal opinion. Ubuntu does come with 90% of the software I need anyway. Most others are in the alternative repositories so not much hassle. Netbeans, CrossOver Office and Skype is software that i have to download for desktops, but they are pretty easy. On a server downloading the tars for java,tomcat,c-jdbc takes 30mins to download and setup.

Not really, all are max a month or two old. For newer thats why the back port repository is there. And you can also hack in some debian sid repositories.

No idea about that but good for them.

Everyone can have an opinon.

Buffalo Soldier
June 14th, 2005, 03:20 PM
Hi there,

I've tried several distros myself...Fedora, Mepis, Suse, debian....and I must say that my FAV is Ubuntu. You know something....one of the biggest reason why Ubuntu is so popular is that it comes with 1 free CD (either install / live) which contain nearly all the stuff that i need.... the others i can apt-get.

Why I love Ubuntu:
Gnome-based
1 CD-distro
Needs so much of manual tweaking to install the other much-needed apps (just see the unofficial documentation!)
No dependecy hell
Ubuntu has probably one of the nicest community support

Hope no one here gets too angry too.

skoal
June 14th, 2005, 03:27 PM
In fact, I believe those "rankings" are solely based on web site hits/day. Didn't web companies before the "dot-bomb" crash hire people to sit there and fluff up their visitor numbers in the same manner? How's the old saying go? "Lies, damn lies, and damn "hit" counters..."

\\//_

flurdy
June 14th, 2005, 03:31 PM
I know google ads (and others) have had issue with people hiring people in very low pay countries to just click on them ads.

ubuntu-geek
June 14th, 2005, 04:00 PM
Hi there

Just a newbie.....

Love

Just some food for thought on this post..

1. Yes, Gnome and a very well polished version at that.
2. Yes, Personally I like the fact that Uubntu doesnt have 4 cd's and I can easily install everything via apt or synaptic. Why! 1 cd is faster, the os doesnt come with 100's of bloated apps.
3. So do most linux distro's..
4.ubuntubackports.org :)
5. Our community has grown very large in a very short amount of time.

Good luck with the distro you choose..

Gtaylor
June 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Although I do have a morbid curiousity and have to check it periodically to see how bad Ubuntu is beating the former "kings" (Fedora/Redhat and Mandrake/Mandriva).

jdong
June 14th, 2005, 04:04 PM
Hi. I'm a Fedora / RedHat fanatic, too. Actually, right now, I'm running CentOS 4.1, which is basically RedHat Enterprise Linux (aka modified Fedora Core 3)

When I use the term 'Fedora', unless specifically noted, I'm referring to Fedora and all Fedora based OS'es (RHEL, CentOS, etc)

Umm, Kubuntu gives you KDE. Actually, Fedora/RedHat KDE drives me nuts at times, because they've stripped parts of KDE's source out for their customization's sake. Programs that compile on regular KDE don't compile on Fedora KDE anymore, because the required API's have been removed for some silly reason.

Actually, Fedora's repository size is pathetic compared to Ubuntu's. The difference is the number of third-parties providing RPM's vs debs. In that regards, I agree with you: It's much easier to install software on Fedora than on Ubuntu, because of the number of programmers who create RPMs and not debs. I'm actually enjoying that right now.

Need I remind you about Fedora and NVidia hell? I used the manual installer because the RPMs were slightly out of date, and it took two modifications to sysvinit scripts to get RHGB working again. BTW, no 3D drivers work under Fedora Core 4! Nvidia drivers are borked by SELinux, ATI drivers are borked by SELinux and GCC4. The workaround? Disable one of Fedora's greatest advantages in the security front.

Actually, Debian Sid has some of the newest packages around. And, it's quite stable to use. I've used Debian Sid longer than any other distro.

But, I do like Fedora/RHEL's way of offering version updates to some programs during the release cycle. This keeps the system feeling fresh and up-to-date. I've started offering the same thing in the Ubuntu Backports Project.

Actually, I've found Fedora's forums fairly useless as far as technical questions are concerned. I asked a SELinux policy question, and another question about how to load modules at startup. Silence. I was reading some of the discussions about the recent libata patches, and they were clueless monkeys with FALSE information, and worse of all, everyone was buying into it!

Not at all. Next time, please try to word your complaints a bit more politely. Many users here are offended by the 'Why I HATE Ubuntu' part.

DJ_Max
June 14th, 2005, 04:13 PM
I really hate when people bring this up, you don't like something because it comes with a desktop you can easily remove, if it came with KDE, other people would still be complaing. :-?

What makes you believe having 1CD is a bad thing, who the hell wants to download 4CD's, when a majority of the apps you won't even install?? It's more logical to install the apps you want via apt-get.[/QUOTE]

Like what :confused:

It's inaccurate to say that, being since you haven't tried all debian based distros, and since you don't have the official backport repositories.

Fedora has probably the LARGEST community support...(OK things here are also NICE...credit where credit due :-)
I would have to disagree, but who cares.

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 04:16 PM
A] You are completely free to use any distribution out there.

B] You can't measure a distro by the number of installation cd's :)

C] wowbuntu a couple of days ago you were enthousiastic about ark :

http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=40927

And now you are enthousiastic about fedora

I have never tried fedora but I like the fact that they are working on integrating SELinux in it.

Why do you switch distros so much ? And why did you never reply in the ark topic ?

kalias
June 14th, 2005, 04:30 PM
I disagree. I am relatively new to linux and have built two systems, one with Gentoo and the other with Ubuntu. I would argue that ubuntu is very good and can do whatever you want it to do. Installing new applications or getting kde running has not been difficult and, when I do run into problems, the folks on the IRC are extremely helpful. Okay, you don't have emerge but apt get is just as easy. The initial install was a snap all I had to do was put the cd in the player and press go.

The Gentoo install was much more difficult requiring alot of research and talking to people but once it was going, the upkeep was not that bad.

Between the two I think I prefer Ubuntu and hats off to them. They have made an easy to use distro with good support. What more do you need?

kalias :)

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 05:19 PM
please give him another chance. Maybe he's not so good with words.

There's not much needed to close this thread. So please let's not start flaming here guys.

compmodder26
June 14th, 2005, 06:07 PM
I fear you give him too much credit.

And why did you never reply in the ark topic ?

Same reason he's not replying in this topic. He is simply trolling. But alas, I don't wish to cause any friction myself. So I will hop off my soap box.

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 06:16 PM
I fear you give him too much credit.

Same reason he's not replying in this topic. He is simply trolling. But alas, I don't wish to cause any friction myself. So I will hop off my soap box.
maybe :)

But I'm gonna give him this chance before locking the thread. I like to give people a chance :-P

Gtaylor
June 14th, 2005, 06:19 PM
I want Ubuntu to have my babies!

Edit: On second thought...

compmodder26
June 14th, 2005, 06:22 PM
I want Ubuntu to have my babies!

Edit: On second thought...

That's a little disturbing. :neutral: But to each his own. :)

phen
June 14th, 2005, 06:44 PM
about the 4cd / 1cd thing: i never understood, why one could want about 5 text editors installed! I love ubuntu for having only one. i am serious: after the installation, i was happy about the clean, not overloaded menu. and i was extremely happy about gedit as the only texteditor. thats kind of my way to rank distros

funny how different point of views can be....

cheers
kai

Brunellus
June 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM
about the 4cd / 1cd thing: i never understood, why one could want about 5 text editors installed! I love ubuntu for having only one. i am serious: after the installation, i was happy about the clean, not overloaded menu. and i was extremely happy about gedit as the only texteditor. thats kind of my way to rank distros

cheers
kai

only one?

H'mm, let's see. I got vim, emacs, nano, and gedit. that's four

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 06:48 PM

cheers
kai
I like the menu being clean very much too :)

spockrock
June 14th, 2005, 07:01 PM
I have tried redhat/fedora, mandrake, debian and ubuntu, and I love ubuntu.

This is my opinion of why I love ubuntu, in redhat I have never gotten rpms to work, they had kernal conflicts, I couldnt get sound on my nforce2 board. Easy to install, but I was a real newbie and couldnt figure anything out. Mandrake what can I say that it f'd up a friends MBR would stall during install, on multiple copies of the disks, multiple downloaded images. We tried different disks, and image files nothing I didnt bother to install it since we both have almost identical hardware specs. We didnt get his computer working by writing 0's to the MBR.

Then I tried Ubuntu loved it but wasnt aware of the backports ended up installing a bunch of debian debs messed up a few things, so I tried debian. Wow that was a step backwards, I couldnt get gnome working, for 2 days it seemed I forgot to install xfonts, I am a new, after the Ubuntu documentation and guides I just couldnt do the same. So after 30 mins of debian and trying to update the kernal, and other stuff I gave up, and reinstalled Ubuntu, I dont have anymore dependency errors thanks to the backports, and understanding warty, hoary, and breezy, what they really mean. If I took the time to understand the apt-get and repositories more then I wouldnt of swtiched.

I just wanna thank the folks who make Ubuntu, great job.

Gtaylor
June 14th, 2005, 07:11 PM
And now, to compliment the Why I hate Ubuntu thread, is the Why I love Ubuntu (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=212731) thread.

qalimas
June 14th, 2005, 07:15 PM
Since when is 4 CDs dialup user friendly? That would take 4 times longer to get than a one CD distro XD

Some things I agree, GNOME for one is ok, but I do prefer an eye candy environment. I'm 16, give me 10-20 years and I'll hate to look at the cool effects ;)

I don't agree with you on all the stuff about there not being many programs. If you want to bloat your menus, feel free to check everythign in Synaptic... that's what, hundreds, maybe thousands of programs? But it's not good to have bloated menus on a fresh install, you only need one program to do one thing, not 10. I only have one text editor in Kubuntu, if I were to use Fedora, it would put in at least three. (At least my FC3 DVD would).

No offense intended O:)

aysiu
June 14th, 2005, 09:00 PM
Oh, hell... feeding the trolls can be fun sometimes:

Okay, the only time four CDs is good is when you have dial-up or no internet access and the four CDs came with a free book. Otherwise, one CD is always better.

And, sure, Ubuntu doesn't have every application ever in existence, but if you enable extra repositories, there are literally tens of thousands. Name one application you want that you can't get with apt-get.

As for the manual tweaking. Yeah, I'm a little annoyed by it myself, which is why I keep bouncing back and forth between Ubuntu and Mepis, but the unofficial documentation is very thorough--no joke.

So why did you register for Ubuntu forums just to post that you hate Ubuntu?

compmodder26
June 14th, 2005, 09:32 PM
So why did you register for Ubuntu forums just to post that you hate Ubuntu?

I doubt he'll show back up to answer your question. He didn't show back up when he posted about how much better Ark Linux is than Ubuntu.

desdinova
June 14th, 2005, 09:37 PM
I've never understood why people feel they need to do this? If they have issues, work with the developers and get them fixed - not just rant and rave over them....

MechR
June 14th, 2005, 09:59 PM
You know something....the BIGGEST reason why Fedora is so popular is that it comes with 4 CDs which contain lots of stuff....now thats really nice for EVERYONE I think especially DIAL-UP people bcoz its so convenient for them.

2. 1 CD-distro (Verrrrrrrrry BAD, very LITTLE stuff....on the other hand Fedora has LOTS of stuff AND by default includes the BEST of both worlds KDE & Gnome which is SUPERB! Many nice KDE apps are mising in Ubuntu)Unless you're buying it in a box, Fedora doesn't just "come with" 4 CDs; you have to download them. Especially with dial-up, downloading just what you need, when you need it is much handier than downloading 3 extra CDs in a huge lump. Plus, the program versions on the CD probably won't be up-to-date by the time you want them.

poofyhairguy
June 14th, 2005, 11:19 PM
The difference is the number of third-parties providing RPM's vs debs. In that regards, I agree with you: It's much easier to install software on Fedora than on Ubuntu, because of the number of programmers who create RPMs and not debs. I'm actually enjoying that right now.

I enjoy it too. Hip Hip Hoary for alien!

Xian
June 14th, 2005, 11:21 PM
I enjoy it too. Hip Hip Hoary for alien!
Heh. :)

GarySaved
June 14th, 2005, 11:38 PM
I just spent a week playing with Fedora.
First, The four disks have to be downloaded. It is nice that they include everything, but with my ADSL 256 connection, it would take 4 days to download. That is simply not reasonable for the average user.
Second, Their RPM system does work, but I find it can mess up, and when it does, you are in big trouble. It screwed up one .png file meant to be in the logon screen, and the logon screen would not work. That should not be able to happen.
Third, if you like the programs they install, you are O.K., but if not, you have to go looking for the one you want on your own. There are not many programs somewhere in the repositories. (O.K. ... I've grown lazy)
Fourth, the people in the chat room are not as friendly. I did notice they all seemed to think highly of Ubuntu's Apt system.

All in all, Ubuntu is far from perfect, but as you can tell, I like it.

poofyhairguy
June 14th, 2005, 11:39 PM
about the 4cd / 1cd thing: i never understood, why one could want about 5 text editors installed! I love ubuntu for having only one.

Here is what it comes down to:

When I set up my own Ubuntu box, I download on average 200 megs worth of packages to do what I want (give or take a few). for me this is no problem (that why I pay for broadband) but for someone on dial-up this is pretty bad. Of course on the Windows side it isn't much better (SP2 was pretty damn big). Mac OSX is not too much better (after one month of Tiger my sister had to download over 70 mbs of updates! I couldn't do it on my dads crappy directway connection). But some Linuxs ship with more cds so that people on dial-up can install software that didn't come preinstalled without hassle.

Honestly if I was back on 56k (shudders) I would use plain Debian Sarge. I would get someone to ship the 20 or whatever it is cds to me, and only download big updates. Ubuntu is not the best for modem users. Look at the trouble people have getting modems to work on the forum. The best part about Ubuntu+ 56k is that CD can be shipped free to you, but I would rather pay ten bucks personally and get it in a week instead.

But I (and increasingly many more people) have broadband. And for that, Ubuntu is AWESOME.

bored2k
June 14th, 2005, 11:45 PM
If I were a 56k Ubuntu user, I'd burn a disc with all the updates on a single compressed file. So Ubuntu would be a "two disc" installation. Even on broadband, I just deploy my backup.tgz and start --dist-upgrading like a happy camper on a de_dust's plant site.

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 11:51 PM
Here is what it comes down to:

When I set up my own Ubuntu box, I download on average 200 megs worth of packages to do what I want (give or take a few). for me this is no problem (that why I pay for broadband) but for someone on dial-up this is pretty bad. Of course on the Windows side it isn't much better (SP2 was pretty damn big). Mac OSX is not too much better (after one month of Tiger my sister had to download over 70 mbs of updates! I couldn't do it on my dads crappy directway connection). But some Linuxs ship with more cds so that people on dial-up can install software that didn't come preinstalled without hassle.

Honestly if I was back on 56k (shudders) I would use plain Debian Sarge. I would get someone to ship the 20 or whatever it is cds to me, and only download big updates. Ubuntu is not the best for modem users. Look at the trouble people have getting modems to work on the forum. The best part about Ubuntu+ 56k is that CD can be shipped free to you, but I would rather pay ten bucks personally and get it in a week instead.

But I (and increasingly many more people) have broadband. And for that, Ubuntu is AWESOME.
yeah let's hope breezy has better dialup support

Also you are right .. sarge is better for some people using 56k (less security updates) .. unless they can depend on a friend with broadband.

poofyhairguy
June 15th, 2005, 12:03 AM
Also you are right .. sarge is better for some people using 56k (less security updates) .. unless they can depend on a friend with broadband.

I was thinking last night:

Why doesn't Ubuntu (when it is released, not the colonies) release all of the universe, and updates on a CD like Debian does?

Don't ship them for free. Heck that might be a good way for someone in the community to make a little money in a moral fashion.

Till that happens, Sarge is still the best.

jdong
June 15th, 2005, 12:20 AM
The all-in-one CD argument is actually quite valid:
For dial-up users, it's much more convenient to obtain all 5 or so CD's, so APT can just prompt them to insert a CD. :)

Debian has this system already, so it shouldn't be hard for Ubuntu to do it, too.

ubuntu_demon
June 15th, 2005, 12:34 AM
I was thinking last night:

Why doesn't Ubuntu (when it is released, not the colonies) release all of the universe, and updates on a CD like Debian does?

Don't ship them for free. Heck that might be a good way for someone in the community to make a little money in a moral fashion.

Till that happens, Sarge is still the best.
yeah true.

I think canonical should do it themselves. They already got a shipping method. And this is a nice way to earn some money for them.

Also make it avalable on DVD('s)

So this is a productive topic after all :)

lovebug356
June 15th, 2005, 12:57 AM
Why don't you do it yourself?
All packages can be downloaded individual. You can make your own CD/DVD with no bit more than you need.

poofyhairguy
June 15th, 2005, 07:48 AM
Why don't you do it yourself?

Because you ahve to do it just right to make apt-get be able to use them by default (or nearly default). Dependancies blow.

clb137
June 15th, 2005, 08:26 AM
I've never understood why people feel they need to do this? If they have issues, work with the developers and get them fixed - not just rant and rave over them....

I totally agree with this comment, please lets stop ''who;s the best'' work with the developers to get the prgams/help you need and just get on with enjoying the wonderful choice of software that is available to us ALL,

keep up the very good work ALL OF YOU

Thanks

clinton :)

weekend warrior
June 15th, 2005, 08:45 AM
Kudos to everyone here who was polite and turned around what could have been a nasty "runaway process" thread into the unofficial "Why I Love Ubuntu" :) thread. This wowbuntu character (a complete hit n' run poster :evil: ) only managed to prove how good-natured, strong and confident this community really is.

In the end all the distros have flaws because under the covers it's the same Linux, the same apps (mostly anyway) with more in common than differences. The community (the online documentation and experiences-solutions!) is what marks the difference.

I'm amazed I haven't had to post virtually any problems since I've been able to find solutions with just a simple search. These forums are turning into as much a goldmine as the Gentoo or Debian forums but without the smug elitism, RTF(riendly)M attitude or pseudo-political mumbo-jumbo. This is why I love Ubuntu. :grin:

N'Jal
June 15th, 2005, 09:17 AM
Can you make update CD's/DVD's? Say i download vanilla hoary, use it, add the backports get the latest Firefox etc, can i make an ISO image from that system with all the bug fixes and install that? I know in the windows world its possible (and legal) to make these CD's so that the first thing you do isn't run the update tool.

wowbuntu
June 15th, 2005, 12:44 PM
Can you make update CD's/DVD's? Say i download vanilla hoary, use it, add the backports get the latest Firefox etc, can i make an ISO image from that system with all the bug fixes and install that? I know in the windows world its possible (and legal) to make these CD's so that the first thing you do isn't run the update tool.
Well I'm sorry....actually I've got dial-up and don't get to go online too often...so mostly i just post and wait for responses.......and i'm not "trolling"....just that i can't go online too much coz of finacial constraints at home.....anyway I've figured out that the best distro for everyone is the one they themselves choose:) and not what others tell them...don't mind my posts...i'm just too excited abt my own choice of distros etc. and keep telling other people.

didn't want to start a distro war of course

Love to all
Newbie wowbuntu
You may lock this thread now

wowbuntu
June 15th, 2005, 12:47 PM
Well I'm sorry....actually I've got dial-up and don't get to go online too often...so mostly i just post and wait for responses.......and i'm not "trolling"....just that i can't go online too much coz of finacial constraints at home.....anyway I've figured out that the best distro for everyone is the one they themselves choose:) and not what others tell them...don't mind my posts...i'm just too excited abt my own choice of distros etc. and keep telling other people.

Love to all
Newbie wowbuntu
hey and one more thing...although the 1st release of Ark may not be "complete' in every way, I hear that the next release is going to be very NICE & PROMISING! Give them some time of course. Meanwhile I'm sticking to Fedora...

desdinova
June 15th, 2005, 12:51 PM
Well good for you - so why try and splinter the Gnu/Linux community then? Fedora, Mandrake,Suse, Ubuntu - we are all Gnu/Linux...

ubuntu_demon
June 15th, 2005, 01:02 PM

We don't blame you for being enthusiastic about another OS. You could do a small review about ark like this : http://www.ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=41758

Also there's nothing wrong with discussing problems about Ubuntu. Just be politie and a bit constructive about it.

great

Love to all
Newbie wowbuntu

Why should we lock this thread ? The flame war was prevented :)

Deacon Nikolai
March 14th, 2007, 06:33 PM
Fedora FTW!

Tomosaur
March 14th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Way to bump...

happy-and-lost
March 14th, 2007, 07:32 PM
You've just listed the 5 reasons I love Ubuntu.

Each to their own. Stick to your beloved Fedora and we'll stick to what we love, then we can all be happy :)

Kindred
March 14th, 2007, 07:35 PM
Necropost..

userundefine
March 14th, 2007, 07:53 PM
Why did someone bring this back?

Those reasons = yawn.

John.Michael.Kane
March 14th, 2007, 07:57 PM
Two year old thread which was dead is now dead again...