PDA

View Full Version : how long you used linux?

vega44
June 14th, 2005, 06:19 AM
how long you used linux?

kiddo
June 14th, 2005, 06:20 AM
A little more than a year now :)

Seti
June 14th, 2005, 06:34 AM
Yeah just over a year for me too! And it's getting better all the time.

Takis
June 14th, 2005, 07:08 AM
Two and a half years of uni = two and a half years of enlightenment (a.k.a. Linux).

wvslkr
June 14th, 2005, 07:19 AM
I can't vote. The poll is flawed. RH 5.2, Slack 3.6 (my first succesful install :) ), Debian Hamm (2nd), how long, 7-8 years? My mind becomes foggy. Once you are hooked you are hooked.
And yes it only gets better. :grin:

tkiesel
June 14th, 2005, 07:43 AM
None of the choices are valid for me.

4 months. Having a ball learning more. I've steped into the deep end by volunteering to administrate the school's (a public ISD that I teach at) web server after I helped the tech director upgrade it From Debian Woody to Ubuntu.

With our discovery of Qemu, my wife is happily stepping up to Ubuntu as well. She enjoys it very much, and has been using it off and on for one week. (she'll step up to full time once Qemu is working a bit better for her)

matthew
June 14th, 2005, 07:45 AM
I'm the first person to answer one month!! Okay, its closer to 1 1/2, but certainly less than 6 months.

I will confess, though, I used unix a bit in college in the late 1980's (I think I just admitted to being one of the older members of this forum...is that true? I just turned 35.) and I grew up using computers. Got my first one in 1981, a nifty Radio Shack TRS-80 with 4k of RAM it booted into a BASIC compiler and had no storage ability until I saved up my allowance/lawn mowing/etc money and bought a cassette tape recorder that could be plugged in. Imagine, 5-10 minutes sitting and waiting for the 2.5K program to load or save! I remember upgrading to 32K of RAM and a disk drive that could store 180K on a 5 1/4" floppy. I actually thought to myself, "I'll never need more than one disk!" <laughing>

I've used unix (years ago), DOS, Windows 3.0, 3.1, 98, ME and XP. I spent some time with the Apple IIe and IIgs, then the early macs. I even took a class to learn LISP (what do I remember? Count your brackets!!)

So, I'm not a computer novice, but definitely a Linux newbie and I am having a blast! If I can find a way to do just 3 or 4 more things with Linux I will leave Windows behind forever.

matthew
June 14th, 2005, 07:47 AM
Hey!! I just noticed the poll actually says "one mouth" and "six mouths." We are eating away at our credibility here. <--intended to be funny...cut me some slack, it's late.

poofyhairguy
June 14th, 2005, 07:51 AM
Ten months for me.

UbuWu
June 14th, 2005, 12:57 PM
Almost 6 months right now, before that (before Ubuntu), never more than one month at a time.

desdinova
June 14th, 2005, 01:01 PM
Since 1996/97 here so I had to vote 10 years

WildTangent
June 14th, 2005, 01:25 PM
ya, you botched the poll, should be 1 month or less, 1-6 months etc...
and you spelt month wrong

but ive been using it about 4 or 5 months, so i voted 6

-Wild

SparkyDawg
June 14th, 2005, 02:19 PM
About 4 months for me, I keep discovering cooler and cooler things too.

drummer
June 14th, 2005, 02:34 PM
Almost a year for me... I've been using Ubuntu solidly for the past 3 months I guess, before that I was mucking about with the pre-stable hoary releases dual boot with win2k. And various others distros in my first 6 months (Mandrake, Fedora, Debian , Slackware, Knoppix, Slax, Vector.....). It's all been really fun and a great learning experience, and I'm now hooked on Ubuntu :)

skoal
June 14th, 2005, 02:35 PM
It's been a while, but the first kernel I used was pre-1.0. I don't remember what version, but I do vaguely recall having to apply a patch to get kernel profiling at the time. I really don't know how long ago that was but things sure have changed.

Long live Linus! Hail Torvalds! I for one welcome my new and improved Finnish overlord!

\\//_

Orunitia
June 14th, 2005, 03:05 PM
Been using linux off and on with windows for about 2 or 3 years now. Though a couple months ago I discovered Ubuntu and completely got rid of windows. Was stuck with windows for a while when I got my laptop though, because I couldn't get anything to work properly with it, then I found Ubuntu, been happy ever since.

crun
June 14th, 2005, 03:33 PM
Four years now, two years windows-free, and it's amazing to see how much and how fast Linux has evolved.

Even if the Red Hat I started with had a nice installer and a decent Gnome DE, it was lightyears behind the current distros, and every few weeks the community seems to come out with a new major development.

If you think that I installed that Red Hat a few months before Windows XP came out, the difference with today's distros just shows how amazingly fast Linux improves itself.

tom-ubuntu
June 14th, 2005, 03:40 PM
I installed my first Distro around 1996/97. If I check the evolution of Linux in this 9 years, it is simply amazing, what the community achieved. If it progress like this for the next 9 years, I see a bright future for it.

Jurgen
June 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
how long you used linux?
heh I've been using linux since 8th grade, my first distro was Phat Linux(Didn't need to repartition, and it was a small 200mb download, well not small when your on 56k >_<) Then I bought a copy of mandrake, then I stopped using linux for 2 years because I got a nice mac with OS X. Then last year I started using gentoo, now im on ubuntu =)

ubuntu_demon
June 14th, 2005, 04:01 PM
I voted 4/5 years. I used it for the first time aproximately 6 years ago.

But I've been using it at my desktop since ubuntu got released. I've been using it as my primary desktop since last christmas.