PDA

View Full Version : New Twin-pane file manager -- Pygoscelis

urukrama
April 20th, 2007, 06:50 PM
I just stumbled on this (relatively) new file manager Pygoscelis, and thought some of you might be interested. From the website:

Pygoscelis is modern advanced twinpanel filemanager for GNOME Desktop environment that continues in tradition of dualpanel filemanagers started by Norton Commander.
About

Pygoscelis is written purely in Python language using PyGTK and Gnome Python bindings. Pygoscelis provides many powerful features and abilities for easy and effective file managment.

User interface is clean, perfectly fit into the GNOME, tries to by HIG compliant but also keep traditional dualpanel interface.

Word Pygocelis was taken from latin and stands for common genus of penguins

Project was originaly started as part of my bachelor's thesis about orthordox filemanager and it's development continues as free software released under the GNU General Public License (GPL).

Here is a screenshot:

http://sourceforge.net/dbimage.php?id=77584

I've never liked Gnome commander, or any of the other Gnome Norton Commander clones. I've been using Krusader so far, and love it, but it runs quite heavy, as it has to load all that KDE stuff. Pygoscelis looks promising, though.

Arisna
April 20th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I'm a fan of Krusader, and I like how Pygocelis looks. It took me a while to get Krusader configured the way I wanted it, though, and I thought I had pretty logical preferences, such as having sync panel buttons on, wanting to be able to create new documents easily like in Konqueror, etc. A good looking OFM with "sane defaults" would be a nice addition to GNOME.

rai4shu2
April 20th, 2007, 08:02 PM
Nothing beats Worker, including Krusader (though it does take some serious config-fu to set it up properly).

http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

kanem
April 20th, 2007, 08:30 PM
I like what I see, thanks for the hard work. This may be kind of shallow, but I really don't like using non-GTK2 apps. I've gotten used to the consistency and nice looks of using only one tool-kit.

So, this is the first dual-pane file manager I've seen using GTK2. Other ones are ok, but they look like they came out of the 90s.

Spr0k3t
April 20th, 2007, 08:48 PM
Oh man... this is getting closer to what I'm looking for. Now if there was only an option to use it as the default directory handler and a method to toggle the second panel.

Spr0k3t
April 20th, 2007, 08:50 PM
Nothing beats Worker, including Krusader (though it does take some serious config-fu to set it up properly).

http://www.boomerangsworld.de/worker/

But worker is a directory opus 4 clone. I'm looking for a directory opus 8 clone.

rai4shu2
April 20th, 2007, 09:05 PM
Directory Opus 4 was always my favorite. Never did care for v5+.

Spr0k3t
April 22nd, 2007, 05:00 AM
Opus 5 & 6 were not that great... I have to agree with you on that... but once I started using 8, there's no equal I've found.

EnigMattic
July 10th, 2008, 09:22 PM
Have been after something like this for sometime. Sadly v. few fully fledged gtk2 dual pane file managers. This needs a LOT more work, though IMHO