PDA

View Full Version : is my DVD-ROM too old to read new DVDs?

medya
April 20th, 2007, 05:10 PM
hey I have an ASUS DVD 16 X named E616
I bought it like 4-5 years ago , I have bought some DVDs , and it doesnt read any of them .
but my friends laptop reads all of them .
but I have an old DVD (belgons to 3 years ago) and it reads that DVD fine .

I want to know about DVDs...do we have diffrent kinds of DVDs ? is mine too old to read new DVDs?
is there any way to make my DVD-ROM read the new dvds ?

tell me ur ideas...

zubrug
April 20th, 2007, 05:13 PM
https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Medibuntu

check this out, it will solve your problem

medya
April 30th, 2007, 03:37 PM
it didnt , I mean my DVD ROM doesnt read any DVD which I buy ... (just reads old DVDs) does that mean DVD formats have changed since I bought my DVD-drive ? it is asus 16 X , e616

DoctorMO
April 30th, 2007, 04:08 PM
No the DVD specification has not changed there ARE a couple of variations on the DVD specification all of which are not always supported on all devices:

DVD-ROM Single Layer, Single Sided - Classic DVD (normaly Data) 4GB
DVD-ROM Double Layer, Single Sided - Most Video DVDs 8GB
DVD-ROM Single Layer, Double Sided - Unusual, older dvd videos (such as Contact)
DVD-ROM Double Later, Double Sided - Most uncommon, 16GB of Data
DVD-RAM - A DVD set inside a case, completely different media
DVD-RW - A Rewritable DVD
DVD-R - A Blank DVD-ROM Disk (WORM)

Now if your talking about video DVDs then the formats haven't changed much, still mpeg2 video and aac sound with VOB menu formats normally encoded with CSS encryption and stored on DVD-ROM Double Layer, Single Sided media.

It's possible that you just have an unforgiving DVD player or one that is breaking.

forrestcupp
April 30th, 2007, 04:48 PM
No the DVD specification has not changed there ARE a couple of variations on the DVD specification all of which are not always supported on all devices:

DVD-ROM Single Layer, Single Sided - Classic DVD (normaly Data) 4GB
DVD-ROM Double Layer, Single Sided - Most Video DVDs 8GB
DVD-ROM Single Layer, Double Sided - Unusual, older dvd videos (such as Contact)
DVD-ROM Double Later, Double Sided - Most uncommon, 16GB of Data
DVD-RAM - A DVD set inside a case, completely different media
DVD-RW - A Rewritable DVD
DVD-R - A Blank DVD-ROM Disk (WORM)

Now if your talking about video DVDs then the formats haven't changed much, still mpeg2 video and aac sound with VOB menu formats normally encoded with CSS encryption and stored on DVD-ROM Double Layer, Single Sided media.

It's possible that you just have an unforgiving DVD player or one that is breaking.

Yeah, if you're not talking about video DVD's then there may be a problem. There are 2 different types of DVD-R's and DVD-RW's. You can either get DVD +R/RW or DVD -R/RW. Some of the older DVD drives only supported + or - but not both. The newer ones support both. If that is the case, there's nothing you can do, but buy the right blank DVD's or get a new drive. But if you make a video DVD and finalize it, it should work in any drive/player no matter what type it originally was.

medya
April 30th, 2007, 05:15 PM
ok so I was convinced that I must buy a new one , I have heared a lot of complain about DVD writers, a friend of me cant read the DVDs which has written by himself but his laptop's dvd rom reads them...!!!!

which DVD writer is good now?