PDA

View Full Version : Where's Dapper Gone Off To?

SuperMike
April 20th, 2007, 04:07 PM
I went to check Shipit so that I could hyperlink and recommend to some friends, but found to my shock that Canonical has stopped providing a way to get Dapper and now one can only get Feisty through Shipit. Shuttleworth has said that Feisty is not an LTS version, and I only want to recommend LTS versions to some of my Linux newbie friends, not the latest greatest version, because I want to offer them stability and long term support in the wake of Microsoft's Vista fiasco.

Canonical: Please bring Dapper back on Shipit as an option.

v8YKxgHe
April 20th, 2007, 04:10 PM
weird, i would have thought they'd keep the LTS release on shipit. However, I belive that you will be far better off giving your friends Feisty, it will be so much easier for them to use and setup and generally much better for them =D

eentonig
April 20th, 2007, 04:11 PM
Last time I checked today, Dapper was still available through shipit. And via download.

jfinkels
April 20th, 2007, 04:12 PM
weird, i would have thought they'd keep the LTS release on shipit. However, I belive that you will be far better off giving your friends Feisty, it will be so much easier for them to use and setup and generally much better for them =D

Agreed. LTS doesn't necessarily make it better for a new Linux user, (it's mainly for people who won't be upgrading their systems for a long time and servers, etc.).

wieman01
April 20th, 2007, 04:13 PM
I went to check Shipit so that I could hyperlink and recommend to some friends, but found to my shock that Canonical has stopped providing a way to get Dapper and now one can only get Feisty through Shipit. Shuttleworth has said that Feisty is not an LTS version, and I only want to recommend LTS versions to some of my Linux newbie friends, not the latest greatest version, because I want to offer them stability and long term support in the wake of Microsoft's Vista fiasco.

Can't you just download it? I know that's not quite convenient but an option nonetheless.

SuperMike
April 20th, 2007, 06:03 PM
Last time I checked today, Dapper was still available through shipit. And via download.

Nope. Not anymore. I hit this URL:

https://shipit.ubuntu.com/

And let me paste the text here (condensed) that you can do:

I want to request CDs of Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) / I want to download Ubuntu 7.04 (Feisty Fawn) / Other ways of getting Ubuntu / Purchase a CD from one of our world-wide distributors / Buy CDs in large quantities / Purchase DVDs from online retailers / Check the status of an existing request

There's no Dapper or a link suggesting how to get previous releases.

Quillz
April 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM

The "free" ShipIt service does take up a lot of financial resources on Canonical's part. It may no longer be profitable for them to keep shipping it.

But honestly, ignore the fact that 6.06 is an LTS release. I strongly recommend 7.04, especially to a new user. It has the latest (and stable) kernel, as well as it's far more usable to new users. They don't have to manually work with downloading codecs, etc. If they are missing on, the system will alert them of it and automatically grab it. I know sometimes with Windows it's better to hold back on a major update, but with Ubuntu Linux, I really see little point at still running Dapper Drake at this point, especially to a new user. 7.04 is the way to go, in my opinion.

Hex_Mandos
April 20th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Dapper won't be supported much longer than Feisty: just 8 months. It makes no sense to install it now on desktops.