PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else angry ?

clash
April 20th, 2007, 10:30 AM
Linux -> Community developed open source software released under a public license.

Microsoft -> Corporation who have nothing to do with Linux.

And yet Microsoft are making money from Linux. Samsung is after signing a Novell-like deal so MS won't sue their asses for using Linux in their products.

It would be funny if it wasn't true ... Microsoft making money off Linux.

starcraft.man
April 20th, 2007, 10:38 AM
Lol, can't say I'm surprised. It is somewhat upsetting. Wanna see something worse though? Look here (http://arstechnica.com/news.ars/post/20070129-8728.html).

Microsoft's next iteration I assume shall be some sort of DRMed version of Linux module system. How sad... on the up though it does mean they've admitted Linux to be the superior implementation system :D.

A curious thing I wonder is how could microsoft patent the module system that Linux and other distros have been using for years? It seems like just another bogus patent that is getting issued... like Apple owning all the "Pod" words and suing mypodder and such...

Somenoob
April 20th, 2007, 10:39 AM
Not to mention that microsoft has yet to show the code that violates their intellectual property, as far as we know it could be a lie.

steven8
April 20th, 2007, 10:48 AM
The modular approach has the advantage of allowing Microsoft to add functionality a little at a time. It would also allow the company to make that functionality available on a time-limited basis, potentially allowing users to "rent" a feature if it's needed on a one-off basis.

They are SO sweet.

starcraft.man
April 20th, 2007, 10:50 AM
Lol, ya next they'll be charging you a monthly rent fee just for updating your product on their network :p.

Jhongy
April 20th, 2007, 10:55 AM
I don't care that they make money -- that is fine. But the lawsuits and attempts to stifle / restrict go very much against everything Linux stands for.

use a name
April 20th, 2007, 11:00 AM
I'm just soooo glad I don't have anything to do with 'm anymore. :guitar:

But it still gives me a real bad feeling, probably seeing this being introduced in the future and millions of people just following the MS doctrine. I expect a little cheaper MS-OS to get people in, followed by a couple of 'new', much desired (or simply not working properly yet) features which need monthly payment. Poor poor people.

ceil420
April 20th, 2007, 11:03 AM
Microsoft make my physically ill at times like these -_-

Ownerizer
April 20th, 2007, 11:05 AM
yea, the reason I stopped using Windows and anything related to Microsoft was because i was getting scared of how Orwellian they are becoming regarding what you can do with your computer. this whole "software as a service" idea does not float with me very well (except for online apps, where that was always the intention).

besides, the free world is so much better. :-)

proalan
April 20th, 2007, 11:43 AM
ah the angry thread,

A curious thing I wonder is how could microsoft patent the module system that Linux and other distros have been using for years? It seems like just another bogus patent that is getting issued... like Apple owning all the "Pod" words and suing mypodder and such...

kind of reminds me of how m$ tried to patent java a few years ago, they stopped support for java because they lost the case.

I was told when i was doing my computer science degree that algorithms and programming languages can't be patented by law, but that don't seem to stop the dirty US software patent mittens.

karellen
April 20th, 2007, 11:54 AM
yuck...:mad: