PDA

View Full Version : Big Step

trivialpackets
June 13th, 2005, 03:42 PM
Hey all, I've got a big step that I've made as of late. Today, is the release of Fedora Core 4. I had been interested in downloading this, but why? So that I can spend hours getting ubuntu back to where I want it? Thing is, I can just apt-get upgrade after changing hoary to breezy, and I've got the newest in a few months. Why should I bother with something like this? And I won the arguement with myself. So here I sit typing with a smile on hoary. Hopefully this distro junkie is gone, for a while at least. :) Thanks Ubuntu.

ubuntu_demon
June 13th, 2005, 03:56 PM
and before you switch to breezy .. in the meantime you can use backports :)

but be careful .. we don't want a distro bashing thread here!

trivialpackets
June 13th, 2005, 06:13 PM
Clearly not, nor would I want to start one. The point was, that the descriptions of Fedora sounded very intriguing and I was very interested in trying it out. But upon further reflection, I determined that I already had all that I wanted and it is after all linux, and customizable to add in things that are not default to the system, so why should I bother when the system I'm running now, not only works well with my hardware, but allows for me to get things accomplished! Bravo to Ubuntu, no disrespect intended to other distros, as I'm sure I'll try another again at some point.

poofyhairguy
June 13th, 2005, 06:25 PM
Clearly not, nor would I want to start one.

I don't doubt you intentions. Its just that this is one of those thread that will probably have to be locked because some people are naturally trolls.

bored2k
June 13th, 2005, 06:31 PM
Today, is the release of Fedora Core 4. (...) Hopefully this distro junkie is gone, for a while at least. :) Thanks Ubuntu.

It's definitely on my queue list. I'm the happiest with Ubuntu, but I want to try FC out (I just need to). I will probably get it in about 1.2 weeks after my download queue gets cleared, but certainly I'd like to have the dvdisc for when I get curious and have a couple of spare hours to try out.

No trolls please.

zyiro
June 13th, 2005, 06:50 PM
i have ane xtra box that im installing fc4 on now just to see what it has to offer i dont think ill switch from ubuntu to fc4 but i have to see what it has to offer im curious. Before i went to ubuntu i ran fc3 on everything so this should be interesting.

trivialpackets
June 13th, 2005, 08:14 PM
i have ane xtra box that im installing fc4 on now just to see what it has to offer i dont think ill switch from ubuntu to fc4 but i have to see what it has to offer im curious. Before i went to ubuntu i ran fc3 on everything so this should be interesting.
Keep me posted, I've got a spare box in my closet for testing. :)

ubuntu_demon
June 13th, 2005, 08:53 PM
Clearly not, nor would I want to start one. The point was, that the descriptions of Fedora sounded very intriguing and I was very interested in trying it out. But upon further reflection, I determined that I already had all that I wanted and it is after all linux, and customizable to add in things that are not default to the system, so why should I bother when the system I'm running now, not only works well with my hardware, but allows for me to get things accomplished! Bravo to Ubuntu, no disrespect intended to other distros, as I'm sure I'll try another again at some point.

I didn't doubt your intention. It was just a warning to everyone visiting this thread :)

One nice thing about fedora core is that they are ahead on ubuntu regarding SELinux.