PDA

View Full Version : need help burning w/ DVD drives.. not working correctly!

billdotson
April 19th, 2007, 08:39 PM
I have 3 DVD burners.

In the Windows device manager there are as follows:

_NEC DVD+RW ND-2100AD

HL-DT-ST- DVD-RAM GSA-H22N

LITE-ON DVDRW SH-16A7S

I cannot choose a different write speed for DVDs other than 4x. With the LG I can only choose 4X but with the others I can do either 4X or 2.4X. The NEC one is OEM that came in my old Dell and the other two are OEM that I got from Newegg.com. I am assuming this is because my DVD+RWs I bought are 1X-4X only (I just looked at the spindle and realized this). They are Sony DVD+RWs and I am almost certain that all my drives support +RW.

Anyway, when I tried buring some stuff to one of them with my LG drive halfway through I got a "seek, sync, ATIP, or mechanical positioning error" message. Then after that I burned 3 DVDs in the same drive and they all finished. Then I put another one in and got the same message. I assumed these DVDs were bad for a moment and then I tried the DVD in my LITE-ON SATA drive. It burned it fine. The other DVD that did not burn correctly when in the LG burner I stuck in the NEC burner and started it and it burned it fine.

Is my LG burner out of date and needs a firmware update or is the drive bad/going bad? It seems odd that it would fail to burn one DVD, then burn 3 successfully (as far as I know) and then fail again. If it were going bad I would expect it to fail most of the time. What is going on?! ARG.

I am guessing that there isn't anythng wrong with my other drives in terms of firmware but just in case....

Here is the info for the LITE-ON SATA drive from newegg:

LITE-ON 16X DVD±R DVD Burner Black SATA Model SH-16A7S-05 - OEM
Item #: N82E16827106047

Here is the info for the LG drive from newegg:

LG 18X DVD±R Super-Multi DVD Burner With 12X DVD-RAM Write Black IDE Model GSAH22N-BK - OEM
Item #: N82E16827136103

I have gone to LG's main site and I have also gone to Lite-On's main site. Firmware updates for these models are conveniently absent.. grrr.

I have also looked for firmware for the NEC drive but that model doesn't even seem to be a model on their site at all.

tbroderick
April 19th, 2007, 08:45 PM
Are you using GNU/Linx or Windows when burning?

futz
April 19th, 2007, 09:05 PM
I cannot choose a different write speed for DVDs other than 4x.
The software and drives sense the blank media you've put in them and present you with a list of possible burn speeds. If you haven't put a blank in yet, do so before choosing your burn speed. If you have, it may be that your burner thinks the blank isn't good enough to burn faster than 4x.

billdotson
April 19th, 2007, 10:22 PM
I cannot choose a different write speed for DVDs other than 4x. With the LG I can only choose 4X but with the others I can do either 4X or 2.4X. The NEC one is OEM that came in my old Dell and the other two are OEM that I got from Newegg.com. I am assumng this is because my DVD+RWs I bought are 1X-4X only (I just looked at the spindle and realized this). They are Sony DVD+RWs and I am almost certain that all my drives support +RW.

Anyway, when I tried buring some stuff to one of them with my LG drive halfway through I got a "seek, sync, ATIP, or mechanical positioning error" message. Then after that I burned 3 DVDs in the same drive and they all finished. Then I put another one in and got the same message. I assumed these DVDs were bad for a moment and then I tried the DVD in my LITE-ON SATA drive. It burned it fine. The other DVD that did not burn correctly when in the LG burner I stuck in the NEC burner and started it and it burned it fine.

Above I said that the DVD+RWs I have are 1X-4X.. so they won't go above 4X.. I just saw the tiny little words on the container that said 1X-4X.. but the main issue is the "seek, sync, ATIP, or mechanical positioning error" message I got on 2 out of 5 attempted burns w/ my LG burner. The 2 ones that failed I tried in another burner.. one of them in the Lite-On SATA drive and the other in the NEC drive and those discs got burned to correctly. The same discs that got the "seek, sync, ATIP, or mechanical positioning error" message w/ the LG burner. The issue is that the LG burner gave me the "seek, sync, ATIP, or mechanical positioning error" message on 2 out of 5 DVDs.

Eternal_Nyt
April 27th, 2007, 12:15 AM
Check Your Firmware on Your Drives. I have a NU DDW-81 and had to update Firmware to a -82 To Burn DVD's and did an install on a Windws system to get Firmware Updates. And depending on you DVD Drive and Can Be piky on what Disc's to use for burning. Like i know What I can't use on my System. Maxell DVD-R
But can Use Memorex DVD+RW with out any issuies.

But Look into Firmware and Does have a big Part on how it Communicates to Linux.