PDA

View Full Version : What's your favorite graphical FTP client?

aysiu
April 19th, 2007, 04:41 PM
I do see scattered responses here and there when new users ask what a good FTP client is what the best FTP client is.

But I don't know if I've ever seen a straight-up poll to see how many people are using the major ones.

I really did try my best to get a good representation in the list. Polls allow only ten options, so I had to pick ten.

And new users who ask for recommended FTP clients usually don't care that much for command-line FTP, so let's keep it strictly GUI here.

Lastly: multiple-select (also known as "multiple-choice") polls tend to have little discernable meaning, and the percentages don't add up to 100%, so if you use more than one FTP client... please, just pick your favorite or preferred one.

Thanks for taking the poll!

aysiu
April 19th, 2007, 04:50 PM
Oh, by the way, I prefer FireFTP.

I used to love FileZilla in Windows. It's now been ported to Linux (and is available in the Edgy backports and the Feisty repositories), but the Linux version doesn't do it for me, for some strange reason.

The nice thing about FireFTP, apart from being a comfortable (for me) interface, is that it's cross-platform. Since it's a Firefox extension, I can use it in Ubuntu, Windows, or Mac.

Erunno
April 19th, 2007, 04:55 PM
When I'm using KDE it's always Konqueror due to the strong integration and I don't have to start a seperate app for a service which should handled by the file browser in the first place (it's both file manipulation after all).

Hooray for KIO-slaves :)

nandasunu
April 19th, 2007, 05:03 PM
I love Konqueror's ftp integration, I can even edit files directly from a remote server using kate, very handy for quick changes.

jdhore
April 19th, 2007, 05:28 PM
unfortunately i have to say gFTP, it's far from good, but it has a decent interface, it's pretty easy to use and it works...most of the time

cstudent
April 19th, 2007, 05:31 PM
I've been using gFTP since I started using Linux. It works OK for my needs. I've been trying out Filezilla for Linux, but I've had problems with it timing out and losing connections. gFTP has always been rock solid.

mech7
April 19th, 2007, 05:32 PM
FlashFXP is tha best :D

aysiu
April 19th, 2007, 05:33 PM
Um, that's a Windows FTP client... and you have to pay for it.

Interesting choice.

Hex_Mandos
April 19th, 2007, 05:35 PM
FireFTP. It's cross-platform, simple, fast, and integrated into my preferred browser in any platform.

tbroderick
April 19th, 2007, 07:24 PM
Ain't nothing better then lftp

maniacmusician
April 19th, 2007, 07:32 PM
Konqueror, no doubt about it. It's much more convenient to have a file-manager view of FTP transactions than a traditional FTP client type view. Much more comfortable to use.

aysiu
April 19th, 2007, 07:33 PM
I have to say I'm kind of surprised that so many people use Konqueror and gFTP.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting those results.

Engnome
April 19th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I have to say I'm kind of surprised that so many people use Konqueror and gFTP.

I'm not sure what I was expecting, but I wasn't expecting those results.

Never underestimate the popularity of built in/standard/bundled apps.

mustang
April 19th, 2007, 07:44 PM

Yep! I run FlashFXP 2.1 through wine. Linux sorely needs an equivalent to flashfxp. The closest client I've seen to it is kftpgrabber.

morningboat
April 21st, 2007, 03:12 AM
CrossFTP (http://www.crossftp.com), because it can retry the failed transfer, anti-idle, and it is the closest FTP client to FlashFXP in Linux I've ever seen.

jeffc313
April 21st, 2007, 03:16 AM
I always just use the command line, but my brother uses gFTP which I set up for him.

Bloodfen Razormaw
April 21st, 2007, 05:30 AM
Konqueror. Because you shouldn't have to have a different file manager depending on where the files you are managing are. God bless network transparency. But then I haven't used FTP in ages since it has no reason to exist anymore.

me1on
April 21st, 2007, 08:23 AM
Konqueror, obviously. Handling files over FTP on my xbox feels exactly like handling local files, and that's how it should be. :)

DC@DR
April 21st, 2007, 08:47 AM
gFTP, of course! :-)

sup
April 21st, 2007, 10:11 AM
Krusader (http://http://krusader.sourceforge.net/) - though I am a GNOME guy through and through otherwise (with the exception of Tellico - but I am going to move to GCstar when I uppgrade to Feisty)

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 10:27 AM
gFTP does what I need.

stchman
June 5th, 2007, 12:37 AM
gFTP just works. It is easy to use and does the job.

notwen
October 4th, 2007, 03:39 PM
gFTP and KFTPGrabber both lock up and crash of me when I begin to transfer files, regardless of size. Not sure what's changed since I last used KFTPGrabber or gFTP, but alas I'm only having success w/ FileZilla as of late. We'll see what works best once Gutsy is out.

iPower
October 4th, 2007, 04:01 PM
gFTP

Sunflower1970
October 4th, 2007, 05:25 PM
gFTP here. Tried Filezilla and had some trouble with it. I don't need anything fancy, so gFTP works well for me :)

michaelzap
October 4th, 2007, 05:46 PM
I've scoured the forums, the web, and Synaptic and tried every FTP client that anyone has ever recommended, and I still haven't found one I like. I've been using FireFTP lately, but I'd really prefer to have a separate app so my browser's memory use doesn't go up and up. In Windows I'd used WS_FTP for years with no complaints, and I just assumed that there'd be several even better FTP programs for Linux...

robelliott2125
April 6th, 2008, 05:36 PM
I've scoured the forums, the web, and Synaptic and tried every FTP client that anyone has ever recommended, and I still haven't found one I like. I've been using FireFTP lately, but I'd really prefer to have a separate app so my browser's memory use doesn't go up and up. In Windows I'd used WS_FTP for years with no complaints, and I just assumed that there'd be several even better FTP programs for Linux...

I've just been scouring Google for the best one. Since i'm an ex-billy supporter, i'm trying to find a FlashFXP alternative. Since most are saying gFTP I'm going to say a major thank you to everyone for posting the above, since its helpful for people who have just left Billy's Payrole.

anabelle
May 13th, 2008, 12:28 AM
Konqueror is great for editing remote files as if they were local, and for transferingfiles with the Ctrl+Shift+T Splitting screen, it couldn't be easier to use.

But for huge transfers and heavy duty FTPing that need automatic retrying, and advanced features FileZilla is the best.

If you're in a hurry install fireFTP in firefox and you got the best of lightweight, crossplatform FTP cliens.

AstroLlama
July 25th, 2010, 02:37 AM
lftp forever!

edit: i take that back, lftp is through the command line-- still the best though :)

untzuntz
October 23rd, 2011, 02:47 PM
FlashFXP in wine. Nothing else comes close.

Tibuda
October 23rd, 2011, 04:17 PM
FlashFXP in wine. Nothing else comes close.

Can FlashFXP evoke the dead?

nothingspecial
October 23rd, 2011, 04:20 PM
So it would seem.

Closed.