PDA

View Full Version : Kubuntu or Ubuntu

StevenAFC
April 19th, 2007, 03:21 PM
Hey, just wondering...

Ubuntu uses Gnome.
Kubuntu uses KDE.
Xubuntu uses XFce4.

What the difference between Gnome, KDE, XFce4?

I'm a complete Linux noob!

taurus
April 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
This topic has been discussed over and over and over and over...

http://www.psychocats.net/ubuntu/kdegnome

Seisen
April 19th, 2007, 03:23 PM
Kubuntu used the KDE Desktop manager and Ubuntu uses Gnome. They basically have similar software, like the text editor, in Gnome its called gedit, in KDE its called Kate.

canadianwriterman
April 19th, 2007, 03:25 PM
Kubuntu has a KDE GUI with the associated KDE applications, and Ubuntu has a GNOME GUI with its associated applications. They differ in look and feel and the availability of system settings (KDE offering a somewhat more complete set of settings). As far as the applications so, some people feel that some KDE applications are more powerful than those that come with GNOME. That said, I am an GNOME user and prefer it. It really boils down to personal preferences and I would suggest trying each and seeing which one you like better. Hope that helps.

StevenAFC
April 19th, 2007, 03:29 PM
Thanks alot for the responces

pppetter
April 19th, 2007, 03:32 PM
First of all, they look different. They also use a different set of standard applications(the applications that comes with the CD - you can later on install apps used in the other distros).

Take a look at some screenshots, that's one way to start. Then maybe you should download the corresponding LiveCDs and test the differences yourself, so you have an idea of what you get before you install.

It's really a matter of taste. I have both kubuntu and ubuntu installed on my computer. and I personally like ubuntu better.