PDA

View Full Version : Feisty Fawn - First Impression

samjh
April 19th, 2007, 03:00 PM
How has your Fiesty Fawn experience been, so far?

b3n87
April 19th, 2007, 03:12 PM
slick, sexy and it "just works"
apart from my DVB-T usb stick, that almost just works
its reallllllllllllllly annoying tho :S

jvc26
April 19th, 2007, 03:14 PM
Been fine to be honest - and has been since I installed Herd4 a while back and updates ever since, perfectly fine experience which has been nice one expects the future to be similar too...
Il

daynah
April 19th, 2007, 03:15 PM
My impression is, "It hasn't been released yet."

b3n87
April 19th, 2007, 03:17 PM
My impression is, "If i upgrade now, i can be a beta tester and help report bugs"

Sunflower1970
April 19th, 2007, 04:20 PM
I've had a great experience so far. Upgraded one computer a while back and all went very well. Upgraded the last two computers last night (to avoid the rush) and so far both systems are humming along nicely.

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 04:23 PM
I hadn't tried it yet :D

chakkaradeep
April 19th, 2007, 04:24 PM

A Big Revolution in Linux History :guitar:

At last, I can say, Windows has a strong competitor for Desktop :popcorn:

bimmerd00d
April 19th, 2007, 04:37 PM
So far so good. Everything works. It's fast, it's pretty, people comment on it often, and it's just quiet. No hassles, no glitches for me.

bonzodog
April 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
My experience with herd 5 wasn't great. I somehow need to trash the installer and install it without a CD. It seems that Upstart maybe to blame.

I have a friend with 8 systems in a cybercafe.

All the systems are ATI-Centric computers, built primarily for gaming. 4 of them run Dapper just fine, but they were breezy upgrade boxes, and now feisty herd 5 wouldn't install on them - it 'red screens' at the partitioner, which goes into a loop the likes of which I have never seen before. When I try to install, I get to the partitioner section, and it doesn't give me an option for manual install, which I need, as the systems HAVE to dual boot windows and linux. If I select the only other option than 'use entire disk' which is some kind of guided partitioner (I can't remember its name), it red screens complaining that it cannot see the root partition, and just goes into a loop, won't even let me into the main menu.

I'm not so sure about this, but am going to order a couple of CD's off shipit, and try one of them. It means he won't get feisty for ~3 months, but there is little else I can do, apart from switch him to another distro that uses a conventional h/w detection routine, and is almost vanilla - I am seriously thinking of placing him on Zenwalk, then adding gnome from it's repos on each machine.

Aetherius
April 19th, 2007, 04:38 PM
Surprisingly stable since herd 2!

there was no last minute changes anyway, i haven't updated in a few days and
aetherius@biscuittoo:~$ sudo apt-get upgrade
Password:
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
aetherius@biscuittoo:~$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
Calculating upgrade... Done
0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.

haha, well done everyone. Hope everyone is feeling mighty proud of themselves

Erunno
April 19th, 2007, 05:02 PM
Just satisfactory for me as the ndiswrapper version that Ubuntu uses has a bug which prevents me from logging into my WPA2 encrypted home network with NetworkManager. Feisty experience for me starts with having to compile the newest version of ndiswrapper from source and after each kernel upgrade unless they fix it in the Feisty's lifecycle.

prizrak
April 19th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Been using it since Herd 2 and it was damn good then and it is damn good now. It is kinda weird that Control Center* was turned off as default and they went back to the old menu layout. Maybe when Slab gets a little better** it will be back.

*Yes I know it takes longer to get to something but unless you go into GUI configs alot it's pretty nice. Also the search function is great

**Like instead of only having 6 favorite programs and having to click on <more programs> to search for things you could search for apps right from the menu. Deskbar being part of it wouldn't suck either.

PartisanEntity
April 19th, 2007, 06:19 PM
I have not installed it, I am currently downloading the torrent for the live cd as a backup and then I will proceed to try out an upgrade from Edgy to Feisty.

adam s
April 19th, 2007, 06:25 PM
Just downloaded it and checked the disk for errors and then trying to install.

I get past the Grub menu, I get through the first list of tests and then get to a blank screen. The install goes no further than there.

Time to start working out what went wrong :-)

So, my first impression is frustrated. I am now waiting to become impressed......

Adam.

Update - Now solved - by loading the CD in Safe Mode. I could then install from there.

stbub
April 19th, 2007, 08:16 PM

Well, hard to say, since it won't boot...

I can boot from the CD. Install feisty. But when I go and reboot from disk it doesn't work...

I got:
[ 100.403167] ata3.0: failed to set xfermode (err_mask=0x40)
and a bunch more

Luckily, I had the wisdom to not upgrade, but to instead install to a new partition... otherwise, I wouldn't have Edgy to type this in...

My system is an Asus P5W Deluxe with a Core 2 Duo.

jdhore
April 19th, 2007, 08:38 PM
honestly, i believe feisty is an incremental update, not a revolutionary update...don't get me wrong, it is pretty nice, but there's not too much about it that makes it really worth upgrading from Edgy...other than Compiz by default, new Gnome, easy codecs and overall streamlining.

nandasunu
April 19th, 2007, 08:41 PM
I've been using it for about 2 weeks now. My first impression was that the boot time and speed of launching apps is much faster for me. I love the new restricted drivers app, the easy pratically one click (or two) installation of restricted codecs via "add/remove". The pre-installed compiz is really stable, my best compiz or beryl experience yet, and really easy to set up. This is my fourth release of ubuntu and the only one that I installed without having to look at a single wiki page or use a script like automatix to get what I want working.

The artwork is gradually getting better every release, everything is a little more polished.

I'm very happy with it so far!

proalan
April 19th, 2007, 08:42 PM
feels like an incremental update, the OS itself has been stable for several releases, the issues have all been stability of specific applications.

I wonder though why no basic compilers are included with any of the releases, it would be most useful i think.

DC@DR
April 19th, 2007, 08:53 PM
Damn, it just works except my Core 2 Duo CPU doesn't. Trying to figure it out, but anyway, so far so good :-)

Quillz
April 19th, 2007, 09:19 PM
I've been using Feisty Fawn since the early herd days and it's always been pretty stable for me.

darksong
April 19th, 2007, 09:40 PM
Buggy so far. I have had alot of problems. Firstly Frostwire, Amarok or gnome will not start. This is the 2nd install within 3 hours due to gnome crumbiling, apps refusing to load.

I hope it doesn't continue like this - this is more unstable than windows. I am really tempted to dumb ubuntu again for PCLinuxOS or PCBSD. I have never had stability issues with any of these 2 - even during the beta.

Raffo
April 19th, 2007, 09:41 PM

I can boot from the CD. Install feisty. But when I go and reboot from disk it doesn't work...

I got:
and a bunch more

Luckily, I had the wisdom to not upgrade, but to instead install to a new partition... otherwise, I wouldn't have Edgy to type this in...

Same error here. I'm trying to solve it. Please let me know if you find a solution... I started a new topic here --->http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=414002&highlight=xfermode

mand0
April 19th, 2007, 09:58 PM
Very stable... No issues so far on my desktop. On my laptop the alsa sound drivers were updated in Feisty and my headphone jack works out-of-the-box so no complaints there either.

98xj
April 19th, 2007, 10:38 PM
doing server install and testing...seems to be fine so far

king minger
April 19th, 2007, 10:40 PM
been using feisty for about 2 weeks and it's been nothing short of superb:)

Kingsley
April 19th, 2007, 10:46 PM
I just finished three days of playing with Fedora Core 6 before I installed Kubuntu Feisty yesterday. FC6 is pretty much the same as Ubuntu but I loath the package management. It's slow and I went through dependency hell when I was installing multimedia codecs. As for Feisty, it suprisingly detected my monitor correctly on the first try. Everything thing else is the same and I'm loving it.

jeffmetal
April 19th, 2007, 10:50 PM
had quite a few programs crash

sound took some playing around to get working which was a pain

had to manually edit xorg.conf to get the correct resolution even after i installed the video card drivers which was so much easier than edgy (big thank you for that one)

vf514
April 19th, 2007, 10:53 PM
Unfortunately, I am somewhat disappointed, for the following reasons:

It still doesn't look good. I find it frustrating that we put all this work into improving the art, with only perhaps satisfactory results. The solution is so obvious and easy: get rid of the brown!!! Why users take so much pride in it is far beyond the realm of my understanding. See the second point below.

Usability research is needed. I have been saying this over and over. "Hey guys, I got a GOOD idea! Since we went ahead and named the system Ubuntu, why not take out that mammoth rollerbrush of ours and paint everything brown and orange??!?!?!?!" Bzzt. Wrong! "I think this font size looks good," says the programmer guy, "so why not use it." "Bauraghrgahrghrh," says the buzzer. Wrong again. "Well, if the users don't like it, they can just change it their very own selves!!!," says Mr. Most Clever Ubuntu Decision Making Guy. *128 kV surge of electrical feedback.* Wrong once more. People, we need to get the design right; and do this the very first time. "I think we'll do this" is not the way to do that. Microsoft has spent septillions of dollars on usability research. I think its time we did some usability research of our own.

desktop-effects are...not up to par. Compiz is better, and much less buggier. Beryl is better, and much less buggier. I have never experienced bugs in a composition manager in my life before this Ubuntu release. Improvements are needed. To say the least.

Fortunately, however, the devs managed to get these things right:

You guys seem to have the "it works right out of the box" thing down. Nice work.

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 11:00 PM
I'm exploring the live cd now. I like it, though is very similar to edgy it's definitely an improvement (little things like the artwork, icons or new restricted drivers manager). even so I'm not going upgrade to feisty the next days...Edgy is just too well setup for me :D

jfinkels
April 19th, 2007, 11:11 PM
Microsoft has spent septillions of dollars on usability research.

That just goes to show that spending septillions of dollars on usability research doesn't necessarily make your operating system any more usable.

codejunkie
April 19th, 2007, 11:16 PM
terrible it keeps getting worse with every release, i tested the beta version and it was looking very promising but the release sucks I'm getting to believe that the dev's are having a contest just to see how much stuff they can screw up. every distro i have tried worked flawlessly on my hardware except for feisty the installer dies half way through with the alternate, desktop and the server install disks.

Quillz
April 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
That just goes to show that spending septillions of dollars on usability research doesn't necessarily make your operating system any more usable.
I find Vista to be more usable than XP. Say what you want, but Microsoft knows what's it doing. It wouldn't have made the UI changes it did in Vista if it wasn't for a positive reason.

Animortis
April 19th, 2007, 11:17 PM
Terrible!!

Why is the graphics driver support WORSE in the final version than the Beta, released late last month?

I was highly satisfied with the Beta, confident the final version would be amazing, then this piece of junk came out...

The resolution is not detected by default. Thing is, it was detected by default in the beta.

Window tiling was disabled, a highly-important feature for me as far as compiz was concerned.

Refresh rates are HORRIBLE. 50 Hz hurts my eyes, making the computer completely unusable for work lasting longer than a half-hour.

I cannot use this. Wow. Just... Wow. I'm so disappointed I could cry. I've been a happy Ubuntu user since last summer and this version is just an absolute let-down. I do not relish looking for a Linux distro that works again.

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 11:19 PM
Unfortunately, I am somewhat disappointed, for the following reasons:

It still doesn't look good. I find it frustrating that we put all this work into improving the art, with only perhaps satisfactory results. The solution is so obvious and easy: get rid of the brown!!! Why users take so much pride in it is far beyond the realm of my understanding. See the second point below.

Usability research is needed. I have been saying this over and over. "Hey guys, I got a GOOD idea! Since we went ahead and named the system Ubuntu, why not take out that mammoth rollerbrush of ours and paint everything brown and orange??!?!?!?!" Bzzt. Wrong! "I think this font size looks good," says the programmer guy, "so why not use it." "Bauraghrgahrghrh," says the buzzer. Wrong again. "Well, if the users don't like it, they can just change it their very own selves!!!," says Mr. Most Clever Ubuntu Decision Making Guy. *128 kV surge of electrical feedback.* Wrong once more. People, we need to get the design right; and do this the very first time. "I think we'll do this" is not the way to do that. Microsoft has spent septillions of dollars on usability research. I think its time we did some usability research of our own.

desktop-effects are...not up to par. Compiz is better, and much less buggier. Beryl is better, and much less buggier. I have never experienced bugs in a composition manager in my life before this Ubuntu release. Improvements are needed. To say the least.

Fortunately, however, the devs managed to get these things right:

You guys seem to have the "it works right out of the box" thing down. Nice work.

well talk about something important/serious, not about something that can be changed by a few mouse clicks (the default theme, colors). It's a matter of taste, that's all. I happen to like brown, so who is wrong and who's right? But I doubt that it's the same subjective perspective when refering at things like hardware recognition, package manager or restricted drivers made easy :P

vf514
April 19th, 2007, 11:24 PM
Terrible!!

Why is the graphics driver support WORSE in the final version than the Beta, released late last month?

I was highly satisfied with the Beta, confident the final version would be amazing, then this piece of junk came out...

The resolution is not detected by default. Thing is, it was detected by default in the beta.

Window tiling was disabled, a highly-important feature for me as far as compiz was concerned.

Refresh rates are HORRIBLE. 50 Hz hurts my eyes, making the computer completely unusable for work lasting longer than a half-hour.

I cannot use this. Wow. Just... Wow. I'm so disappointed I could cry. I've been a happy Ubuntu user since last summer and this version is just an absolute let-down. I do not relish looking for a Linux distro that works again.

Actually, Animortis, I am beginning to feel your pain. The disappointment of this release is simply unbearable. I voted "below par" but now wished I voted "quartered and shot". When its all said and done, the best improvement of this release is the redesigned GDM splash screen. Yes, out-of-the-box driver support has been improved, but for what? Desktop-effects? Quite possibly the worst Linux program I have ever used? Mac OS X is starting to sound very appealing by now...

I am so frustrated I have resolved to remove Ubuntu entirely from my computer, without the intent of reinstalling it again. Maybe by the time Gutsy rolls around, the developers will finally get it.

Sef
April 19th, 2007, 11:27 PM

What video card do you have?

tubasoldier
April 19th, 2007, 11:34 PM
K3B is still screwed up beyond all usability and has been since herd 3. Good job on that devs!

Sef
April 19th, 2007, 11:35 PM
So far things have been good for me.

weth
April 19th, 2007, 11:46 PM
well, I have been testing Feisty these last 3 hours and I am quite happy with it. Multimedia runs just fine (this is the first time I have bulgarian subtitles in VLC :)), very fast system performance, surprisingly even faster than with Edgy, and what is more - I had a "clicking" issue with my hdd when I was running Edgy and now, out of the box, it is not present any longer (even though I had removed it a couple of days ago by running hdparm -B254 /dev/hda in Edgy)... so by now the things I usually do are just fine on my old Dell Inspiron 2200 ... I can't wait to try whether my wireless will run, but I'll get this tomorrow ... in my point of view - Feisty is EXCELLENT :)

wataboutbob
April 19th, 2007, 11:53 PM
I haven't voted yet. Trying to give this a bit of a chance to redeam itself.

First off, I've only been using Ubuntu for the last 2 months. My 1st Edgy installation on my Dell XPS M1710 laptop went super smooth. Default res of 1920x1200 was detected. Smart Media Card readers were detected and were usable... almost flawless. Only letdown was the subwoofer not working (fixed with a newer alsamixer), WPA passkey not accepted (fixed using wpasupplicant et all). I was able to install Beryl without any issues... heck! even the virtual right-click and scroll-bars on my Synaptics touchpad was available without any configuration.

And with Feisty, even the subwoofer and the WPA passkey is accepted without me touching the terminal... so why am I disappointed?

I can't for the life of me understand, why it won't detect my default res of 1920x1200. Its now running at 800x600... I'm installing the nvidia-glx restricted drivers as I write this and I'm hoping that'll give me my ful resolution..... oh and Compiz is pretty bare boned - stable maybe but that'll have to go in favor of Beryl for me (beryl was very very stable on my Edgy anyway)

DoctorMO
April 20th, 2007, 12:07 AM
We're hoping that when they get rid of xorg.conf in Gutsy we won't have resolution problems; but who can tell it's a community project so cut them some slack guys.

wataboutbob
April 20th, 2007, 12:10 AM
ok, I've voted and its "ruddy marvelous!"

Downloaded the nvidia-glx drivers, edited xorg.conf and yes! my sweet resolution of 1920x1200... yipeee...... oh and the new codec finder thingee is just awesome. Plays every single file I throw at it...

Next step, get my G5 mouse configured and try and get Beryl working as I just don't like Compiz

Tsen
April 20th, 2007, 12:22 AM
I'm definitely loving it. I've been running the beta for a while now, so I'm ready to give my opinion on it--
First off, it just works. I love it. Codecs, Windows settings importer, and wireless tweaks are all BIG improvements that make 7.04 a huge step forward.
Some minor tweaks seem to have happened, too--like in the add/remove programs menu, the popularity rating system works better now, so it doesn't show everything with one star except the default programs. That isn't a major improvement, but it's just one of the small tweaks I've noticed.

My one gripe is the installer. I didn't do a fresh install when the final release was made, so I don't know if it was changed, but when I installed the beta, I really, really hated the new partitioner/hard drive space allocater. Since I'm picky with how my hard drive is partitioned, I have a separate /home and /boot, plus a windows partition, a FAT32 music partition, the swap partition and finally the / partition to install to. Working with the mount point selector was a pain in this one. I really miss 6.10's version of that...
Anyways, like I said, I don't know if it was changed for the final release, but if it wasn't, I'm still not happy with it.

Otherwise, it's amazing, and puts Ubuntu a good ways ahead of other Linux distros in my mind. Two big thumbs up to the development team!

Animortis
April 20th, 2007, 12:46 AM
What video card do you have?

Nvidia 7600 GS. I've already edited the xorg.conf, but it doesn't matter when the refresh rate maxes out too low to stand. In Edgy, it was at 60hz, though I had to edit the xorg.conf myself to get the 1280x1024 resolution.

I did not have this problem with the beta.

I do wonder if everyone is using the direct upgrade route or did like me and did a fresh install...

rai4shu2
April 20th, 2007, 02:00 AM
Aside from these two bugs, I've had a very good experience today:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/107259/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/107178/

TBOL3
April 20th, 2007, 02:09 AM
At first I thought it wasn't going to get my graphics drivers, because the text on boot up was so big. But it got it right on the dot. Amazing!!!

jiminycricket
April 20th, 2007, 02:09 AM
Nvidia 7600 GS. I've already edited the xorg.conf, but it doesn't matter when the refresh rate maxes out too low to stand. In Edgy, it was at 60hz, though I had to edit the xorg.conf myself to get the 1280x1024 resolution.

I did not have this problem with the beta.

I do wonder if everyone is using the direct upgrade route or did like me and did a fresh install...

Blame it on nVidia BINARY "new" legacy drivers, if so then I have the same problem, unless I use twinview. You just cannot blame binary driver problems on Ubuntu, even though currently (not for long; send your dumps to renouveau, see announcement sticky at the top) it's the only option for nVidia 3d cards.

samjh
April 20th, 2007, 04:45 PM
After suffering from the dreaded X unable to start issue, my opinion has dampened somewhat (I got the same issue when going from Dapper to Edgy), but still Feisty is a good release.

Looks like most people agree.

kinson
April 20th, 2007, 06:11 PM
Just installed it.

Well, first off, I didn't like the login sound....sounded like some animal thingy, or safari sounds, but then again, I'm sure thats what they were aiming for. I prefer the Dapper ones, but of course, thats just an opinion :)

I tried the LiveCD before installing, and tried to get the desktop effects thingy working, but it needed to restart (after installing the nvidia-glx drivers) in order to let it work, so I didnt try it.

Installation went without a hitch. But here's the irritating part. When I tried to install the Desktop Effects again, after I said "OK"(or something) to the propriety blah blah, then it just told me to restart the system after I'd installed the graphics drivers, which was different from the LiveCD version. After a bit of poking around the system, I tried a "sudo apt-get update" and after that only the drivers would auto install when I selected desktop effects. My point is, that from a newbie's point of view, I wouldnt have known to perform a apt-get upgrade. I got it working, I'm just wondering if somebody else would be complaining due to the same scenario. :( I hope not obviously, but aside from that, this auto download codec/drivers thingy is one of the things that made me update to Edgy(from Dapper)...that and the Desktop Effects :)

I just tried playing and avi, and installed the codecs it suggested, so its playing fine now. Very impressed ! :D What I remember from XP was it kept bugging to "search for appropriate something online"...and it never did anything useful :p

Tried the desktop effects thingy, it seems cool so far :) I like the wobbly windows, but the I don't really know how to control the desktop cube like those youtube videos I've seen (maybe cause those are beryl?), I turned of the desktop cube, mainly cause my shortcut to switch between workspaces didn't work after that, and it was kinda making me dizzy, haahh ! :p

All it all, its been a good job, I'm happy. Keep up the good work ! :)

Cheers,
Kinson

Raffo
April 20th, 2007, 06:24 PM
Aside from these two bugs, I've had a very good experience today:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/107259/
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/ubiquity/+bug/107178/
You've forgotten this bug ---> https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/103410 :(

voided3
April 20th, 2007, 06:26 PM
After playing with the beta live cd for a little while, I finally got the release installed in my hard drive. It is as solid and user friendly as I had expected it to be, but the one and only gripe I have with it is that there is no compatible proprietary driver for older Radeons; I have a 9250 in the particular machine I installed it on. I am using the "ati" xorg driver, which is fine for the desktop, but I guess my gaming days are over on this machine :-( Just for an experiment I put planet penguin racer on it and the game ran, but the menus had no text and I couldn't have been getting more than 20 fps where I used to get over 100.... I think I might downgrade until they get this sorted out. I am at school right now so I can't try it, but I have an x1300 pro in my other desktop at home and from what I read it should still work fine with that, but I think from now on it's going to be nvidia or nothing because this is ridiculous. So, in conclusion, feisty is great, but ati needs to release a legacy driver for the latest kernel ASAP!

ezphilosophy
April 20th, 2007, 06:40 PM
I'm just going to wait a bit longer...... experience has taught me to be just a little patient. I figure after a week if will be "safe".

I will do a fresh install, and reinstall windows XP while I'm at it. (dual boot)

weth
April 20th, 2007, 06:41 PM
and now, what makes me even happier with Feisty is that my Dell Inspiron|2200 can hibernate :) :) :). It could not do it before ...

Outrunner
April 20th, 2007, 06:56 PM
Quite simple really. Everything works perfectly!

HumbleGod
April 20th, 2007, 07:11 PM
Well, it Just Works. Nothing seems negative yet, with the exception that things seem to take a bit longer to load after logging in. Not sure why that is, but other than that no real problems....

Sunnz
April 20th, 2007, 07:17 PM
Vista is in trouble!!! :o

No I am not joking!!! I was supposed to help this guy to install Linux the other day, I installed Feisty Beta in front of him, he now already knew how to install it himself!!!

Now I just gotta to 'teach' him to update!!!

cvcaelen
April 20th, 2007, 07:29 PM
Me thinks it's gonna be a vista-killer,
and I'm not joking:lolflag:

all works (even beryl on an on-board graphic card with 128Megs of RAM-mem) straight out-of-the-box.
no probs whatsoever.

needs some tweaking (theme-adjusting) to make'm real jealous here at work.

I'm a very happy camper
=D> for the dev's

Christiaan

klytu
April 20th, 2007, 08:29 PM
Just Satisfactory.

I like a lot of the newer software packaged and available with Feisty and it runs nicely on my older hardware so far. In fact, it's the first Linux distro I have tried that allows me to use all of my hardware on all my machines (except for a winmodem on one machine) right "out-of-the-box". However, at this point I think there are still some serious bugs that need to be addressed. Most of these bugs don't affect me directly, but one does on one of my machines (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415009). I probably won't install Fiesty for full-time use until I have used it more on my test hard drive and I am more confident that everything is working OK.

forcesofhabit
April 20th, 2007, 09:10 PM
I've installed xubuntu-desktop after the installing Ubuntu from the disc. Judging from my past experiences Ubuntu is slower now, and Xubuntu is faster.

Access in the file managers seems slower as well.

I am also really enjoying the built in desktop effects in Xfce. There isn't any noticeable slow down in performance with them on.

Dyegov
April 20th, 2007, 09:58 PM
I have voted for Ruddy marvelous!

I have tried to change to Ubuntu man y times because I am tired of Windows, but I always ended up coming back because Linux was too difficult. That ended today :) I have finally installed Feisty with no problems at all. I installed all that I needed with just some clicks and my internet connection, no need of the command line at all: java, flash, dvd, mp3, video card, etc.

This version has finally given me what I wanted, and I could finally do the big change. Thanks Feisty Fawn, I love you :)

Nikron
April 20th, 2007, 10:06 PM
Flawless upgrade, but no real difference besides that for me.

der_vegi
April 20th, 2007, 10:14 PM
my impression: nice beta release, but this shoudn't be a final version. i'm using it on a dell inspiron 1501, amd64.
here a list of the bugs i have found so far in the first hours:

- german umlauts don't show in tty (this problem didn't exist in the beta)
- bcm43xx driver doesn't really work (extremly slow, bcm4310). ndiswrapper works, though.
- changing display brightness doesn't work
- xsane doesn't work with my canon lide 20
- assigning a key combination with the windows-key doesn't work properly (you have to hold the key before clicking on the action)
- changing the user locks my mouse for the second user until i have switched to the first and back

i'm wondering if azureus will work. the version in the repos hasn't worked for me since edgy, the version from azureus.sourceforge.net works though.

KaroSHiv0n
April 20th, 2007, 10:28 PM
For me this was the most difficult to get started distro.
I tried the live part, everything was great so i was finally tempted to stray from dapper, did the installer, no problems, re-booted and got the x-error and a black screen, no problem i thought, i will try the envy script. got the envy script but it wouldent run, then i had a idea due prblems ive had before, i went into xorg.conf and changed "nvidia" to "nv" which got me graphics, but it wasnt right.. i then ran the envy script and got the right things working and now have all the effects, proper res etc. Once i got past the graphics problem its been great, im really impressed and a huge thanks to all the Dev's who made this possible. <3

finferflu
April 20th, 2007, 10:37 PM
Peace of mind! this release is a piece of art (so far).
People might argue (as it's happened for sooo long) that proprietary stuff available in the repos is not good, but Ubuntu exists as a competitor to Windows (remember Bug #1), and it needs stuff to be easy, as Feisty is. That's just fantastic, I wonder how many people will move to Linux much easier now. I'm not a great fan of proprietary stuff, but I think we first need to bring people to know Open Source goodness, and the we can argue about proprietary vs open software. Ubuntu is the middle ground between Windows and pure Open Source, as far as I understand.
Sooooo, very very good job!

joshier
April 20th, 2007, 10:56 PM
I heard that the bcm wifi drivers are still not supported, and that ndiswrapper isn't included *still*.

Seriousley, what's going wrong? apple macs ( the 86 ones) all have the bcm wireless cards yet hell, we might aswell just not bother with those..

I mean give me a f..... break.

slibuntu
April 20th, 2007, 10:59 PM
Very good, a better upgrade than from Dapper to Edgy

FuturePilot
April 21st, 2007, 01:01 AM
Stable:)
It's much more stable than Edgy. I tried Edgy out at various points throughout the last 6 months and it was always buggy for me. However Feisty seems pretty stable:guitar:

johnc4510
April 21st, 2007, 01:35 AM
Very nice.

Upgrade worked better than any Ubuntu version so far. I used the alternate cd upgrade method.

Reconfigured xorg.conf, installed nvidia drivers, copied and pasted mouse button configuration into xorg. and that's all I had to do. Everything else worked like a charm.

My compliments to the devs.

The Pinny Parlour
April 21st, 2007, 01:40 AM
Crap actually. Thought it would be heaps better but have had many issues. Not impressed so far thats for sure. I still prefer it over most OS's though. :)

Compucore
April 21st, 2007, 02:34 AM
PLease correct me on this I know it may not have been asked before. With Dapper drake I know it was a live cd which basically a gui install on it. WIth Feisty is it the same gui install on it? Or has it gone back to like the text install type of installation like they did with Hoary hedgehog and with breezy badger? I ade my orders for feisty I haven't checked yet to see if they shipped it ou yet over here.

Compucore

mkjarema
April 21st, 2007, 02:47 AM
Mine SUCKED!!! But I am only 90+ Days old on ubuntu and don't feel comfortable voting with my limited knowledge on how to fix all my problems....

i did an upgrade and can't even get a command line :-(

Back to edgy for me

johnc4510
April 21st, 2007, 02:49 AM
It's a gui install using the Ubiquity (not sure that is correct spelling) installer.

Supra
April 21st, 2007, 02:57 AM
It is definitely an improvement over Edgy in my opinion. The operating system overall feels more responsive and performance noticeably faster. Wireless networking took a little time to set up but got it to work without too much headache. Overall, it's my operating system of choice at home.

Solicitous
April 21st, 2007, 03:43 AM
Brilliant release. Network Manager installed and allowed me to connect to my WPA network without dropping to the cmd line and hacking things, the use of gstreamer and auto downloading of video codecs, brilliant. Only real issue I've had (well more questions about) is that compiz is installed by default with Feisty (enabled through Desktop Effects), however, and this is PERSONAL OPINION, think that gnome-compiz-manager should be part of the ubuntu-desktop package. To me it's not good having a fancy desktop with no tools by default to manage it. And yes I know, its simple to install, but ask someone with limited computer knowledge to install it, and chances are they're stuffed. But that points neither here nor there, just personal observation.

My 2 cents....

johnc4510
April 21st, 2007, 03:58 AM
Solicitous:

Go to: Applications>System Tools>Configuration Editor

Click on: apps>compiz

There you will find configuration options

mills
April 21st, 2007, 04:33 AM
my first impression lasted about 5 minutes b4 it froze my 2nd impression even less, this was the beta about a month ago so i thought i'd wait for the final release

my 1st impression of the final release lasted about 30 seconds until it froze,2nd about the same

NOT HAPPY!!!!

FiggyG
April 21st, 2007, 04:38 AM
Just had to get past the initial ATI X1000 series w/ widescreen LCD issues. It has been fantastic. The new NTFS stuff is just... spectacular. I used to to backup 94GB of files, create an empty NTFS partition, and then copy those files on to it. Not 1 issue with that! Even running the 64 bit has been a breeze for me (me having much previous experience). Only reason I'd go to the i386 is for flash, but I'll see about finding a way around that.

This is by far the best Linux Distro I've used :)

kwidzin
April 21st, 2007, 05:02 AM
Well. I think the Feisty is pretty unstable. I upgraded to new release few hours ago and I found some bugs. At first hal don't recognize vcd's (dmesg shows many output after vcd's inserting). Gramps don't itegrate correctly with gnome, alacarte don't remember changes. I wondering what I found next. :(

rai4shu2
April 21st, 2007, 05:10 AM
Alacarte and gnome-menu have always had bugs like that.

maagimies
April 21st, 2007, 05:26 AM
LVM support even in the alternate cd is now flaky, MEH. I'm not going to wait for 3 minutes of software failing to use it... Voted 'Below par' just for that.

tbg58
April 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM
I've used Ubuntu since Hoary, and this is the best distro yet. Started with Feisty at Herd 5 beta, and my box has been basically fully functional from the initial install.
Of my three systems, two now run only Ubuntu -- the other box dual boots with Windows for the wife, but Feisty does all I want. I'm not exploring some of the new functionality and eye candy, but it just works.
Best regards!

annunaki
April 21st, 2007, 06:26 AM
I've got to say, I have been searching endlessly since 1997 for a usable Linux desktop and I now think I have one!!!

The sound card did not load properly, but I just switched to the internal intel card and it worked fine. This is the first distro that I used that easily let me set up NVIDIA twinview...one of the more frustrating programs. The sound works great, the display is flawless and it is quite pretty with the Beryl addon.

Now, if I could just get Photoshop, Adobe Camera Raw and Dreamweaver, I'd be truly at peace with the world.

Gotta have a way to work with my Nikon D200 raw images. Bibble is OK, but I need better workflow and such. Also, it would be nice to have drivers for my spyder.

rainwalker
April 21st, 2007, 06:35 AM
I would upgrade, but I'm afraid I'll bork up my Edgy install (which I have working perfectly). I'd be alot more confident if I could install it on a partition, but I have no idea how all that partition stuff works.

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a good page that explains partitions?

bennyj
April 21st, 2007, 06:45 AM
Installed it on my hp laptop and everything worked great! Also have a fresh install on my desktop and it is working great too! This distro just keeps getting better...thank to all who worked on this. GOOD JOB!

chakkaradeep
April 21st, 2007, 07:05 AM
Slowly me getting few problems (not show stoppers) in my fresh install box

1) Compiz isnt stable. It makes Videos to go black .Here is the thread (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=415012)

2) Again with Compiz, If i disable and then enable Desktop Effects, i dont get cube workspace and need to change the values via Gconf to enable 3d workspace.

3) Installed beryl using apt-get and i didnt any icon for starting beryl in the menu and emeral theme manager isnt working becooz of this where i dont get option to change the window manager

Arent the Ubuntu team recording these bugs??

I have also filed in Launchpad...

ambien
April 21st, 2007, 08:48 AM
I am having terrible luck with Feisty Fawn! It took 30 minutes just to make it boot! I ended up having to use an older Kernel version to do so. None of the problems I was having with edgy are fixed neither; namely support for my ATI X1300 graphics card. Feisty also seems to be less responsive than edgy was. -sigh

hoagie
April 21st, 2007, 09:05 AM
Feisty is great I love it.
Well done to the development team!

Malta paul
April 21st, 2007, 09:44 AM
Yesterday I installed the desktop version.
I have two hard disks so I backed up all my personal stuff on my second dive then did a clean installation on my first drive. It install without any problems and even recognised my second hard disk's two partitions without requiring a mounting routine. I have now have set it up the way I want (adding items I lost during format) and its running quick and stable now :)
A BIG thank you to the developers for all the the time and effort the put in, including our community testers who provided feedback . Well done Guys. :guitar:

Chrisj303
April 21st, 2007, 10:22 AM
My first impression? - 'Oh god, it's still browny-orange, yuck'

As soon as i changed it though i was happy.

steven8
April 21st, 2007, 04:48 PM
RUDDY MARVELOUS!!!

Just finished my full install and got everything back the way I want it. . .and IT RAWKS!!!!! It is not slow at anything. It is smooth and sweet. Thank you to all of the awseome devs and testers who made it happen! No, I do not use the proprietary driver for my nvidia card. I don't need beryl or compiz or stuff. I'll never be hurt by a kernel upgrade!

TechSys
April 21st, 2007, 05:09 PM
So far the experience has been all right. I had a little bit of problem with the restricted nvidia-glx driver, it actually turned my monitor off. I had to reinstall after that point.

I'm on my third installation, so far. I keep trying things and sometimes hose the system. Not a big deal though.

As it sits right now, it's stable as hell. Running on a Celeron 3.2ghz which is sitting on a Biostar P4M800-M7A motherboard with 1gig of RAM and a Nvidia based 5700LE video card. This has been stable since around 9pm last night.

I do have a couple problems though. It won't let me uninstall Azuerus, bittorrent, or gaim. Don't need them since I use kopete, and utorrent (in wine). Oh well, I'll get them out of there eventually.

Did have a problem with installing VMware server, but that was fixed by an update I found somewhere (can't remember where). Now I've got winXP pro in VM with very little, if any, system lag.

All in all, feisty is doing what I need it to do right now and I am pleased with it. A little bit of tweaking here and there, and I'll be very happy.

Derspankster
April 21st, 2007, 05:20 PM
Broke xorg with the upgrade - as usual with Ubuntu. Constant video card issues overshadow everything else in my opinion. Had to revert to my old card and the nv driver to start x. Just sick of this.

Raccoonzers
April 21st, 2007, 05:25 PM
To be honest, I'm disappointed. Not bad, just buggy and seems highly unpolished.

My first install attempt ended with X not being loaded or some such thing that produced all sorts of trippy graphical glitches on my screen, but no Feisty. This eventually booted me into a new, exciting Ubuntu version called Command-Line Cougar. All hail it's DOS-y graphical prowess. :p

Reinstalled, and it worked on attempt #2

It's been pretty stable, in all fairness. The package manager likes to download packages at a snail's pace for some reason, which is highly aggravating. Been having trouble with Sound Juicer as well where it just decides to stop fetching CD track information out of nowhere for some reason. Don't know about you, but I'm not going to sit here and enter all the track info myself, thank you very much. :p

Oh, and Amarok is completely broken, but I don't know if that is Feisty's fault or anything. When I try to play any of my MP3s (which I have the appropriate plug-ins for) Amarok freaks out and crashes.

But, on the plus side, it is a bit prettier, and I appreciated the nVidia legacy drivers being nice and easy to install. My screen now actually looks like it's 1024x768. :)

I'll stick with it for a bit, I'm sure some issues will get ironed out over time (hopefully). Just hoped it would have been a bit less buggy, is all.

JAPrufrock
April 21st, 2007, 05:29 PM
Before installation I was as nervous as a long-tailed cat in a room full of rocking chairs. But not to worry- FF purrs like a kitten.

mexlinux
April 21st, 2007, 05:50 PM
Well, ALL the bugs that affect my experience directly are still present in Feisty:
Bug in kdesu (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/kdebase/+bug/78640)
Bug for wifi LED (https://launchpad.net/distros/ubuntu/+bug/21367)
Bug for my MIC (https://launchpad.net/bugs/42600)

Now I had problems when suspending to RAM
Suspend to RAM bug (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/108349)
(In fact I came to Kubunto from Mandriva, because suspend was not working there, now here is broken too!)

And know that annoying networkmanaer is the default
(it's designed for grandmas)
Networkmanager only works for dynamic IP (https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/knetworkmanager/+bug/108344)

So for me it looks just like a programs version update, nothing really relevant...that's it

zub
April 21st, 2007, 06:37 PM
Hi,

though admiring the work of the ubuntu team and the reliability of the community, I have to say that things are taking longer and longer to get up and running from version to version.

My experience with a vaio vgn-t2xp working very well with several linux distro since almost 2005:

* dapper: up and running with little troubles and tweaks (almost 2-3 hours to get it up);
* edgy: up and running but with more troubles and tweaks (almost a day work til it worked the way I wanted);
* feisty: I am on since 2 days now, and I am always fighting with wlan, compiz, sound; I am not that experienced in linux, but I know enough things and can read forums and (most important thing) understand the discourses in order to apply advices and other suggestions.

So it is not a lucky experience to me. I also decided to test ubuntu on a hp pavilion dv6153eu, but I left posts on the forum which shows that it didn't success. I even don't get the cd-rom in live mode properly loading, which is all but a good introduction to linux in my opinion.

I mean, what about installing feisty if I have to spend hours in order to get the basics working, which take me up to 2-3 hours with dapper and almost the same with other (more actual) distros of linux?

yours
zub

PartisanEntity
April 21st, 2007, 06:40 PM
All good so far. This is the first time I upgrade, let it run over night, then followed the on screen instructions, restarted, updated and all seems to be fine.

I did have to fiddle around minimally in order to get my wifi card working again.

Also, Synaptics Package Manager is offering me the nvidia-glx and nvidia-glx-dev packages but when I proceed to install them it informs me of some conflict, this is probably due to the fact that I had used Envy in Edgy to install the nvidia drivers.

I also had Firefox crash on me today and it seemed to have locked up Gnome, so I had to CTRL-ALT-BACKSPACE. I hope this is not a precursor to any instability issues.

Nythain
April 21st, 2007, 06:44 PM
didnt really think it would have been as much better as it was... the improvements over edgy are amazing... most i've noticed are in the repos... no longer do i need a 20 entry sources.list... just the basics with everything enabled and the mediubuntu or whatever one for the codecs and stuff...

installation of my nvidia drivers was finally flawlessly easy without the use of 3rd party software or manual install

10 out of 10 for me

EdThaSlayer
April 21st, 2007, 07:32 PM
I love the desktop effects that Feisty has. :)

FuturePilot
April 21st, 2007, 08:00 PM
It's faster! Everything opens really fast.

I can't use the Desktop Effects so I removed it from the menu because I would get depressed every time I saw it knowing that I can't use it.:lolflag: On my laptop anyways. Still waiting to install Feisty on the desktop PC.

anaspeople
April 21st, 2007, 08:07 PM
I think is great!
Both my pcmcia (ovislink WL-8000PCM) and usb (DWL-G122 ver:B1) wireless adapters work out-of-the-box now! Thankyou ubuntu team!

jpkeisala
April 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I just want to thank all Ubuntu Developers. This is amazing release, everything worked out of the box. Thank you guys for great distro!
\\:D/

BarfBag
April 21st, 2007, 08:21 PM
I voted stable, good quality. On the surface, I didn't see much change. It looked and felt like Edgy. The one click driver installation is what sold me. Built in Compiz was an OK idea - but I would've preferred they had either left it out or given you the choice between Compiz and Beryl. Since they're merging, this will probably get better in time. After a week or two of use, it seemed more stable then Edgy (and I didn't have any problems with Edgy).

Unfortunately, I had to stop using it. The only distro I've ever used that plays well with my monitor (yes, my monitor) is Arch.

TimJBart
April 21st, 2007, 08:48 PM
Everything installs automatically perfectly, and I haven't had a Force Quit yet!! I am also running Beryle with all the candy on and it is running very smoothly. I am very happy with the upgrade, it is really solid.

KenF
April 21st, 2007, 09:18 PM
Feisty 7.04 beta worked for me, but the final release of Feisty had the same problems I had with Herd1 and Herd3. They simply don't work for me.

KenF

sunexplodes
April 21st, 2007, 09:52 PM
My impressions were not terribly groundbreaking. I loved Edgy, and Feisty is not that different.

The LiveCD install was great. It took 20 minutes, which shocked the hell out of me (though, to be fair, this is the first time i've used anything aside from the Alternate CDs. Do they typically take a lot longer to install, or did they really streamline it in feisty?). I had a lot less trouble getting my wireless working with NDISWrapper than I did in Edgy, which is a nice change. I like a lot of the minor improvements in Nautilus, like the Cordless Mouse battery-monitor.

Aside from that, it's lovely and stable and pretty fast, like its older brother was.

stijngysemans
April 21st, 2007, 09:56 PM
I upgraded my laptop today from edgy to feisty by using the update manager. Everything seems to be the same but now i'm running feist:) So Beryl kept working, avant-windows-manager kept working. I'm glad!

rainwalker
April 21st, 2007, 09:59 PM
I just tried the liveCD and my Negear WG511T successfully conncected to my router, so I'm guessing that means it will work if I upgrade?

sunexplodes
April 21st, 2007, 10:02 PM
Yeah, if the Live CD got it, the full install should have no problem with it.

rainwalker
April 21st, 2007, 10:10 PM
Okay, thanks!

I've read that customized Edgy installs make the upgrade hard, but what if all I did was change the Firefox icon and the OpenOffice icons? I wouldn't think those would cause any trouble, but would upgrading change them back?

rainwalker
April 21st, 2007, 10:13 PM
Oh, I do have Beryl installed, too

biikman
April 21st, 2007, 10:15 PM
My impressions, as a newbie. I've tried each release as it has come out, and FF is the first that automatically connected me to the network without any extra fiddling. It's also the first time I was able to print over the network as well as share directories to a PC with XP on it without having to edit the network settings. I'm sure with enough patience I could have gotten the previous releases to do that, but after hours and hours I gave up. With FF, just went through the wizard and worked. So far I am loving this one, and while I keep a dual boot with XP, Ionly go there to play World of Warcraft, any other time I am Ubuntu'ing :)

sunexplodes
April 21st, 2007, 10:46 PM
Rainwalker, I suspect you'll have no issues making the upgrade. With that said, it's NEVER a bad idea to backup your important files and make a list of applications you use, incase the upgrade goes awry, and you have to install fresh.

It's also a pretty okay to have a copy of the Install CD, just in case.

rainwalker
April 21st, 2007, 11:27 PM
Okay sunexplodes, but do you happen to know the command to tarball a directory?

Ancheron
April 21st, 2007, 11:38 PM
Experience is good so far. Remarkably, Guild Wars decided to start working in Wine with the update, which definitely makes me want to give it a good grade ;) . Beryl does have a few quirks, however, but I think I'll iron them out eventually.

old_geekster
April 21st, 2007, 11:56 PM
I voted "Stable, good quality", but will change that vote to "Ruddy marvelous" if Feisty continues to perform as it is now.

It has the feel of a far more mature OS. This is one of those inate feelings that a person sometimes gets and can't explain. In fact, it seems to be more stable than Edgy with my rig; especially running "Beryl". Neither has even so much as hicupped to this point.

Great job Feisty devs!:-D

skip27
April 22nd, 2007, 04:22 AM
Excellent, as I was anticipating. I did have to recompile my kernel, unfortunately, to reach the fullest potential that Feisty has to offer. However, it's been smooth sailing since.

Gadren
April 22nd, 2007, 04:42 AM
It's been quite fun -- I can't quite say "Ruddy marvelous" since I've had to configure a few things, but I guess that's a plus. It's been a good learning experience to figure out how to:

1: Set up partitions manually
2: Make /home a shared space that be accessed by both my Ubuntu and Vista partitions
3: Get TrueCrypt working
4: Recompile my kernel to get TrueCrypt working
5: Get Beryl working on this Inspiron 6400/e1505.
6: And finally, as of 5 minutes ago, get wireless working.

Everything's working just fine! Well, at least the important stuff is working well; the sound in Vulture's Eye is still skipping, and I can't find a decent TrueCrypt GUI which will load on startup only in the tray. It's quite fun and I'm enjoying myself more than I should be.

zarmando
April 22nd, 2007, 05:57 AM
Inspiron 6400, Intel 3945, ATI X1400, 1.5Gb RAM

I got Ubuntu Feisty Fawn walking after a less than friendly (text) install. On the live CD, X crashed. So, no graphical installation. Wow.

So, in the end, I didn't try to install Beryl as it seems to be much more trouble than fun...

Anyway, I'm wondering if you guys have a functionning suspend to ram or hibernate mode ... My "suspend" doesn't resume : the screen remained black (I've got an ATI x1400) and I had to power off. Which is a drag because it doesn't cleanly unmount my other partitions properly, to say the least -- I don't want to damage my Windows partition before I make sure everything is okay with Linux or Ubuntu... So I won't even try the hibernation mode for now...

My Wifi seems to detect networks but can't connect to my router. I have the Intel 3945, which should work

Oh well.

So... My experience is not that great, I guess.

Just for the record : PCLinuxOS 2007, Pardus and Mandriva, worked without a hitch on my Inspiron 6400/1505. What's up with Ubuntu ???

If I can't get my Wifi and suspend to work, I might go back to one of these... even if I prefer Gnome to a KDE desktop.

skip27
April 22nd, 2007, 07:03 AM
I should also add that the developers did a very nice job with openoffice. The fonts are nice, crisp, and the selection of new themes adds a nice touch.

prawn
April 22nd, 2007, 07:20 AM
Haven't really had a good trot so far:

Couldn't get anything by 800x600 screen resolution working and any attempts to fix resulted in an inability to start the graphical environment
Samba shares didn't work until I fudged the "valid users" settings (the @group syntax won't work).
MusicMagicServer (which worked fine in Dapper Drake) will not start.

In the process of trying Edgy now (originally was upgrading from Dapper Drake).

On the plus side, finish looks better and the partitioning tool is more straightforward (although slower: it rescans disks in between each selection change).

Bigbluecat
April 22nd, 2007, 07:47 AM
Perfect update. Have not had any problems.

Everything is where is should be and working well.

Beryl is still there as a separate session the way I had it set up.

Great job.

prawn
April 22nd, 2007, 01:01 PM
Haven't really had a good trot so far:

Couldn't get anything by 800x600 screen resolution working and any attempts to fix resulted in an inability to start the graphical environment
Samba shares didn't work until I fudged the "valid users" settings (the @group syntax won't work).

In the process of trying Edgy now (originally was upgrading from Dapper Drake).

On the plus side, finish looks better and the partitioning tool is more straightforward (although slower: it rescans disks in between each selection change).Well, I did give up and I've installed Edgy (6.10). That immediately sorted both the screen resolution problem and the samba problem. This suggests to me that there are still some wrinkles to sort out in 7.04. However, the MusicMagicServer problem persists. If anyone knows how to get it working on 6.10 or higher with amd64 architecture, let me know!

Jason Weiss
April 22nd, 2007, 01:25 PM
Wow... all Ican say is Wow!!!

Ihave been trying for ages to get Beryl work, I have tried at least 5 times.

Now it just works and it is so stable, I am so excited.

jso2897
April 22nd, 2007, 01:57 PM
Wouldn't install for me. I am just getting back into the world of linux, my linux machine has been down for a few months, just fixed it. I was running 6.06 before, decided to try Feisty - no dice. An infinite litany of read-errors from the disc - may have been a bad DL due to all the traffic, who knows... So then I tried Edgy - perfect install, no problems so far. I've got all my hardware working and my internet connection up and all my codecs and other media updates done. All I have left to do is get my Nvidea drivers together, and I'm back in business. I think I'll take a break before I tackle that - always lotsa fun.
My new HD is huge, so somewhere down the line I'll partition and give Feisty another whirl, but for now, Edgy is running great for me, so I will be content.:)

AirRaven
April 22nd, 2007, 03:14 PM
Needs to be quartered and shot.

At least until RT2500 WLAN support's fixed- the drivers are even open sourced. They've been working since Breezy!

*ahem*

TheForkOfJustice
April 22nd, 2007, 07:14 PM
It's great except for the fact that X crashes often when I'm using Firefox (and I am ALWAYS using FireFox).

Ram Crammer
April 22nd, 2007, 08:18 PM
I've been running Feisty since Herd 3. I installed to a fresh partition (always recommended, I think). It's been fun watching it improve via the auto updates. Everything worked for me out of the box, except for Gnome-Pilot, which I really need. My Palm rechargeable batteries are always running out of juice so I have to restore my Palm data and apps from the desktop. Gnome-Pilot just locks up halfway through the restore process. I've tried resyncing several times. Same result every time I try to restore the hand-held. So, every time I need to resync my Palm, I have to use Windblows. :(

The very day of Feisty's final release I decided to try the "desktop effects" for the first time. After playing around with wobbly windows, I discovered that the window buttons were wonky. I couldn't figure out how to disable the accelerated driver, and finally decided to just uninstall the xgl driver using Synaptic. Did that, and after a re-edit of xorg.conf I was back to the nv driver. But, now all 3D is broken. That is, I can't run 3D screen savers or games anymore. I tried to install the proprietary nvidia driver again using first Synaptic and then a fresh install of Envy, but with no luck. Seems I'm now stuck with generic nv with no 3D whatsoever.

Also, the little help messages that pop up when I position the cursor over a launcher, button, or icon, is painted in gray now, instead of the original yellow. Strange! There is no setting in System-->Preferences for this feature, and I have no idea how this could happen. Not that it is so important to me, but just annoying that it happened and shouldn't have. But, Linux desktops have always been like that for me. It's very easy to break something, and not be able figure out how to fix it, so I learn to live with it. Just annoying, not a show stopper. I may break down and do a full reinstall of Feisty one of these days, to get everything back to normal again, but I wish Ubuntu and Linux could just move beyond this kind of nonsense. However, for me, Ubuntu beats Windows' virus magnet, MGA, spyware, licensing issues and all the rest of that garbage.

Over all, Feisty is the nicest Linux installation I've had. The important stuff works out of the box. I think "Desktop Effects" needs a lot of work, and should be turned on only by people who really know what they're doing. There needs to be a way to restore the graphics setup to "pre-accelerated" settings. This is absolutely a must-fix to my thinking. If a feature isn't 100% stable, at least give the user the ability to revert to the previous state. Final word: I'm not planning on moving from Feisty. It sure ain't perfect, but it's about the easiest and smoothest Linux I've experienced. Good job, for the most part.

ssam
April 22nd, 2007, 08:57 PM

I got:
and a bunch more

sounds like you're are suffering from
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/81596
there is not really much helpful information for you on the bug report, but if you subscribe to it then you will hear if there is any news.

ssam
April 22nd, 2007, 09:10 PM
Needs to be quartered and shot.

At least until RT2500 WLAN support's fixed- the drivers are even open sourced. They've been working since Breezy!

*ahem*

rt2500 support is not broken, its just that network manager does not know how to talk to it
https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/linux-source-2.6.20/+bug/37120

you can still use it fine with the old networking tools

System -> Administration -> Networking

choose the rt2500 card
click properies.
disable roaming.
set your network name, and put in any WEP key you might need
for most network setups choose the DHCP configuration.

dart1007
April 22nd, 2007, 09:47 PM
So far, I haven't had any problems...:)

Trenchbroom
April 22nd, 2007, 10:38 PM
Dell laptop, Core Duo, Intel video and wireless. Upgraded from Edgy to Feisty via alternate CD update. Everything is as it should be: all my stuff is where I left it, butter smooth Compiz (movies running fine too with Compiz), absolutely no issues whatsoever.

Could not have been more easy. Again, Ubuntu amazes me!

rainwalker
April 22nd, 2007, 10:41 PM
Does having Beryl installed complicate the upgrade at all?

mexlinux
April 23rd, 2007, 04:35 AM
Don't know (I always make clean installs)
But Beryl is now on the official repos...

tomcheng76
April 23rd, 2007, 04:51 AM
Comment - Good for fresh install, need some extra work if u upgrade from old dist.

just did a dist-upgrade from edgy to feisty
so far so good
I cant do it on the GUI Updater, it say me that i have a broken package in main.log
so i do it on the command line
After upgrade, i have to fix the following problem manually:

1. schemas of gnome broken (The default theme schemas could not be found on your system. This means that you probably don't have metacity installed, or that your gconf is configured incorrectly.)
soln. http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php?p=1164346&postcount=11

2. mouse acceleration is dame not working, slow mouse, set in GUI have no effect:(
soln. setx m 5 10

3. reinstall MySQL-5.0

4. Beryl not work on my old nvidia MX440
soln. with composite on
Section "Device"
Identifier "NVIDIA Corporation NV17 [GeForce4 MX 440]"
Driver "nvidia"
Option "NvAGP" "1"
Option "AllowGLXWithComposite" "True"
Option "AddARGBVisuals" "True"
Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
Option "NoLogo" "True"
EndSection

Lastly,
I hope in the next dist-upgrade, probably 7.10, i can upgrade it through GUI
that's my little hope, thanks every developer to bring us a new and great distribution
:)

old_geekster
April 23rd, 2007, 05:06 AM
It didn't for me. There is no guarantee, however.

Crashmaxx
April 23rd, 2007, 02:44 PM
I did an upgrade to Edgy and was pretty happy with the results. The upgrade itself went very smoothly, better then any upgrade I can remember. The only "hard" part was deciding whether to keep the old versions of a few config files or not.

I did have a few problems upon reboot though. But they were all self-inflicted.

1. It couldn't mount my partitions at first. Seems like a serious problem, but it still gave me a root prompt and made it clear what was wrong. Once I realized that it now names all drives sd* and none hd*, the fix was easy. I had previously edited my fstab by hand and no longer had the UIDs, so I just needed to edit fstab to say sd* instead of hd* and all was well. They had this ready to go in Edgy, I just decided to break it.

2. Network-manager didn't work with my RT2500. But this is a documented bug, so I just removed network-manager and went on with my life. But it is cool that it should work OTB on my other machines. That will be really nice for my laptop.

3. Beryl didn't display borders. But I just needed to enable addARGBVisuals and that was good to go. On the other hand, it is amazing that the upgrade didn't break X or rewrite xorg.conf and beryl otherwise was still working great. It didn't even mind my restricted nvidia drivers. That's just too cool.

So it is pretty great, but nothing amazing with the upgrade. It will be a lot more telling when I upgrade my laptop. I think I will just do a fresh install on it cause it is kind of a mess. So the live cd and that install will be a lot more telling.

Seems like an incremental step over Edgy, but I don't see anything wrong with that. It seems to solve all the issues Edgy had and causes very few new problems. Too bad its not more exciting, but sometimes its nice just to have stuff work.

Kingedgar
April 23rd, 2007, 03:37 PM
Running 64 bit FF to get all of my 4GB of ram, and I absolutely love it!!! Bery+TwinView over 2 19" Samsung LCD's is amazing. Driver/codec installers are sweet... could not have asked for better stuff in a release. Keep up the great work dev-team!!!

p.s. KVM is still not working up to par, but vmware does work so I will keep going with that for now.

TheTuna
April 23rd, 2007, 03:48 PM
A fine product. Ubuntu keeps getting better and better...

JohnnyTarr
April 23rd, 2007, 03:53 PM
My FF experience started off pretty rocky.

I thought it was the os but then I realized it was a hardware problem.

Now my Ubuntu box is stable and relatively fast though I still have trouble with the 3d desktop aspect of it.

Now it just works and I'm dazzled by the array of gnome themes etc to try and tailor my gui to my liking!

eriqk
April 23rd, 2007, 04:11 PM
A bit too soon to say anything definitive, but Feisty seems to be very nice. Just installed the Xubuntu variation on my ageing laptop.
One thing though, which seems to be a recurring theme: I had to dpkg-reconfigure my xserver-xorg to get an useful resolution. Initially, it wouldn't go past 640x480/24. Now, it's doing just fine at 1024x768/16.
And now, for those tasty bits of software.

Groet, Erik

zarmando
April 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM
Rainwalker :

I don't have the time to explain everything but, if the prospect of updating frightens you (which I understand perfectly -- you could also create another thread for more help, or find a guide) :

1- find a backup software. I suggest you use partimage ( http://www.partimage.org/Main_Page ) or sbackup (http://onlyubuntu.blogspot.com/2007/03/backup-and-restore-ubuntu-system-using.html, or kdar (http://www.ubuntugeek.com/disk-archive-backup-and-restore-using-dar-and-kdardar-frontend.html, or BootIt Next Generation for Windows ( http://www.terabyteunlimited.com/ ), or anything you prefer. Except for the last one, they should all be available through synaptics package manager.

Look at what available to you for a complete backup and Backup your whole system if it's precious to you. Make sure you can access the backup file easily if something goes wrong (put it on another partition, or DVD -- you could use gparted with your live CD to create another partition : very easy to do : http://gparted.sourceforge.net/)

2- Make sure the backup file is not corrupt or anything.
3- Update your current system.
4- If anything goes wrong... use your backup.

You could also use google to find more info : Ubuntu backup guide

mspolar
April 23rd, 2007, 04:52 PM
ubuntu
---------- >> any day!
windows

the_darkside_986
April 23rd, 2007, 04:54 PM
It went smoothly for me. I did a fresh install since I had everything backed up. I was originally on Dapper.

I liked the network manager tools from Dapper much better than Feisty. Now, if I try to set it so that it doesn't ask me for a gnome keyring and my WEP key everytime, I have to restart the system whenever the signal gets weak and disconnected. Fiddling around in network manager doesn't work. Also, my network seems to be constantly disconnecting for no reason but there's no way that could be an OS problem, at least I hope. It seemed to have done that in Suse Linux 10.1 and Ubuntu Feisty. I probably just have the antenna adjusted wrong.

Also, I tried booting up Dapper, and then Feisty, on my g/f's pre-owned old machine. But they both give an hdc I/O error or something like that. Freesbie (FreeBSD liveCD) worked flawlessly though (it didn't on my newer machine). Her machine only has 256 MB of RAM but I thought that was enough for Dapper. I'm going to burn an Xubuntu Feisty CD and try it. I don't see how hdc errors would relate to RAM... I thought hdc was the name of the CD device. Maybe the CD drive isn't fast enough.

wajvpitt
April 23rd, 2007, 05:09 PM
I started using Linux altogether with Dapper and it took a long time to get everything working. It seemed to almost be there but not quite polished enough. I had problems with the live CD, wifi, sound, video and it was very hard to exactly diagnose any problems. I wasn't sure what was my fault, being new to Linux, and how much the computer. What I also found hard in the beginning (but now it's great!) was how many solutions can be suggested for any one problem, and how many different ways there are to achieve the same thing.

With FF I just installed everything and I've had no problems relating to hardware. I'm extremely impressed, and I will now recommend Ubuntu to relatively computer-illiterate friends (I couldn't have done this with Dapper). I also found getting multimedia functionality a lot easier this time - no need for Automatix.

V. impressed.

SZF2001
April 23rd, 2007, 05:13 PM
Fiesty kicks ***, guys. I had no problem installing the monitor drivers and getting Beryl up and running, and it was easy as hell - not something you can really say much about when installing Beryl without Ubuntu repositories.

A brand new OS with a brand new computer... Nothing could be better right now, man.

da5id.
April 24th, 2007, 01:12 PM
Installation went very smoothly..
took another day after successful install to tweak grub, display driver and wifi card, but thats fundamentally due to my linux 'rustyness'

Overall very impressed with the Gnome desktop (looks awesome),
works very well 'out of the box' (or out of the iso if you prefer ;) )

I love it !!

ice60
April 24th, 2007, 02:37 PM
i tried the livecd and it looks like it will be the first version of ubuntu that will run on my new computer. i stopped using ubuntu when i got this computer around the time of breezy.

so, if i can work out how to get it dual-booting (i put grub on the 2nd drive because the first one wasn't working properly at the time. i want to put grub on the first drive and continue to use suse's grub) then i'll install ubuntu.

AVH
April 25th, 2007, 05:44 PM
Update installed easily.
Broke Samba on two out of two machines
Broke power management on two out of two machines
Network setup tools - missing in action

Until Ubuntu comes with home/peer to peer networking tools that are easy to use so that most anyone can setup printer and file sharing with other Ubuntu and Windows machines, it won't be ready for prime time.

prawn
April 26th, 2007, 10:50 AM
In case anyone is interested, this problem was sorted by installing ia32-libs. Never did sort out the screen resolution though, so I'm back on Edgy now.

imon9
April 26th, 2007, 11:36 AM
Fiesty is in many ways similar to edgy.... (not much change noticed) beside the richer apt databse?

Btw, i voted only Good because:
(1) the new kernel causes the frontend of my Scanner to stop working. (this is a known bug, still waiting for them to fix the kernel. they ranked it low priority)

(2) my touchpad stop responding occasionally... so now i had to long out and in like 1 or 2 times a day (i suspect is kernel problem too)

btw, anyone knows if my Click button stop working after feitsy update... can it at all affect the behaviour in windows too? Coz on my dual boot laptop.. in windows, the mouse button totally unresposive.. at least in fiesty, i can still tab my touchpad to replace the click)

Tomosaur
April 26th, 2007, 01:32 PM
Now that I've got it to work, I have to say 'Ruddy Marvellous!'.

There have been some great improvements, and it seems like everything is much more polished now. I initially had problems with my wireless network, which caused the system to freeze up, but I solved that by removing network-manager-gnome, which allowed me to connect to the internet and update everything. It all seems very stable now, except for a strange bug in the desktop effects, which isn't serious and is barely even noticeable (the title bars of maximised windows occasionally suffer distorted colours until the window is repositioned).

Aside from a few minor niggles, which I'm sure will be ironed out, it's great.

Raedwald
April 26th, 2007, 01:55 PM
It works. Install was simple and straightforward via Update Manager.

Two issues with upgrade: 1st was VMWare server (resolved through help from the forums), 2nd is that a program run via WINE now wont (but as I can run that on the VMWare XP image, where's the real problem).

I may even be installing it on youngest's system to give a "more secure browsing environment"......

Compucore
April 26th, 2007, 02:23 PM
AFter downloading and installing it on my laptop so far so good with it. Nice sound effect when entering and leaving the OS itself. No big complaints on it reallly. Was easy to install and understand. It is not a really big deal. I was used to the way that Linux in general handled the hard drive naming schene of dapper drake. with sda and so on. But that is a no brainer.

Compucore

Eric Layne
April 26th, 2007, 07:43 PM
I voted 'Below Par'.

Things in Ubuntu do not "just work". For an example of something that "just works", consider a new car: no engine/transmission fiddling is required to run perfectly. You simply get inside the car and go. This is hardly the case with Ubuntu, or Linux in general. :frown:

Currently I am attempting to set up a Linux desktop that has the same level of speed, beauty and work-related productivity as my Mac G5. So far, I am doubting this is even possible.

goumples
April 26th, 2007, 08:39 PM
An easy upgrade from Edgy. All my drivers and apps work fine. Actually I hardly anything changed. But, its stable and solid.

outlawtanker
April 26th, 2007, 09:55 PM
Crappy, no network connection so far, other than that, it seems like it'll be nice, may go back to Dapper 64 as that has worked well for me so far, it "just worked", but feisty......meh..notsomuch.

brink
April 28th, 2007, 01:44 PM
Across several systems

Home built AMD system:
* More stable and quick than Edgy. Edgy didn't really like the ATI card with either ati nor radeon driver. Feisty runs like a champ.

Inspiron 2200:
* worked, except for wireless. fwcutter did not work with the broadcom card, ndiswrapper caused a load of 2.0 at all times. ralink usb wireless dongle refuses to work under feisty. This was a showstopper, so I downgraded to Edgy which works awesome.

Dell Dimension XPS:
* Feisty works excellent. Upgrade resolved several issues in Edgy config (caused by upgrade from Dapper) (and my own fiddling). Stable and fast.

Custom system w/ P4:
* Online upgrade from Edgy crapped out complaining about missing php4sqlite and apache. Subsequent disc upgrade worked, but apt-get still complains about those missing, even though they are not installed anymore. Cannot force reinstallation nor tell it to ignore. Otherwise is stable

Offbrand Laptop;
* Works like a champ. Oddness in that the live CD detected the wireless card and networks (gigabyte internal wireless) and saw networks, actual installation detects card but no networks. Radio is stuck off (it seems) with no support for the hardware switch nor turning on via software (there is no bios option).

Summary: When it works, it's stable and works well. When it doesn't, it's a PITA

FuturePilot
April 28th, 2007, 03:55 PM
I just installed Feisty on the Desktop PC and Wow!! It's amazing! That was the fastest install I think I ever did. And that had to be the quickest set up of Compiz/Beryl ever. A couple clicks and done! And they work perfectly too! Nvidia GeForce 6600.
:guitar:

NESFreak
April 28th, 2007, 05:57 PM
Compiz combined with fullscreen applications WAS just sad. Back to good old stable fast metacity. Already got 3 kernel panics using only xmms and Firefox (without compiz). If it would have been 1 more it would have beaten XP for this week. Thinking of switching to debian testing or even unstable (probably to lazy for this, but i have thought of it).

I had to use Manual configuration in order to connect to my wireless router. In roaming mode the network manager does detect it, but won't connect to it. (probably because DHCP is just to slow on the damn thing. Still i think it should at least give me a sort of error message if something exceeds the timeout)

The network printer on the windows host (HP laserjet 4 plus) stopped working. (tried all the drivers, ether cups or the printer give me some error message)
NESFreak.

ali4949
April 28th, 2007, 06:16 PM
Well
So far my experience with feisty has been mixed. The live cd booted great, but very slow compared to edgy so I was very apprehensive. Once I installed it on my hard drive, the first boot gave me kernel panic [ not syncing] so i tried verbose mode and was able to boot . That was not acceptable for me so as a good linux noob I spent a few hours on these forums and figured out that the wireless driver was the culprit so blacklist hostap_cs and hostap modules and voila everything was up to speed.

Then the automatic wi fi connection would not work , and thats the major selling point for any distribution, well after a few hours tinkering including static IP and manual configurations I decided to use wifi-radar and everything was working fine for the first day and then all of a sudden the pretty network manager started to pick the network again .Hmmmmm

Boot up speed is very good < 30 secs on my Thinkpad T30 1.6 ghz 768 MB ram ATI 16mb vram.
Most of the hotkeys work and had to do some tweaks to the sysv-rc-conf to stop some services but thats a personal preference. Overall a very good effort by the Ubuntu team. If anyone is looking to make a move from the OTHER operating system this would be the number one candidate IMHO, and lets not forget no matter what little problems we might encounter as far as hardware tweaks, driver conflicts, application switches, we are getting this all for the great
introductory price of $0. Thats hard to beat.

Compiz needs some tweaking to work right, but I think thats one of the reasons why its not enabled by default. Ubuntugeek.com has an excellent tutorial for getting the cube to work flawlessly.

Well these are my two cents worth. My new motto is DO YOU UBUNTU
Late

Turin Turambar
May 1st, 2007, 03:59 AM
So far I'm not pleased at all.
I cannot compile the modem drivers (I have to use the martian driver instead and it sucks!), crashed when I tried to copy one archive, cannot drag&drop the files from archive (I used to do that in Dapper/Edgy, why is this gone???), lots of bloatware installed by default (headers, blind support, build essential things, etc.). Now I don't even have the borders around the windows. I cannot resize or close...

Oh yeah, the support for restricted stuff is lame. I still have to DL everything, it's just a little easier... but blaah. The booting time is like 5-7 seconds slower....

Oh why oh why did I delete perfectly functioning Edgy??????? :confused:

desss
May 29th, 2007, 05:01 PM
My scanner Canon Lide 30 does not work. In edgy it's worked fine. that's all impressions:(