PDA

View Full Version : So why are there a lot of users who dislike Automatix?

bimmerd00d
April 19th, 2007, 05:45 AM
i myself am a huge fan. I tend to fart around with my system enough to break it :) Automatix lets me get my stuff back up in under an hour. I figure when i get some more time i will figure out exactly what is installed in Automatix and do it manually in a VM or something to get more acquainted with it. I'm still very young with Ubuntu, but Automatix more than a few times has kept me from pulling my hair out and going back to Windows. Congrats to me, i've ditched my native XP partition on my laptop in favor of ubuntu with an XP VM under Virtualbox if i need it. I'm giving a big CHEERS to the Automatix guys, thanks and keep up the good work.

tchoklat
April 19th, 2007, 06:22 AM
onya Arnie - gret product for many of us!

Polygon
April 19th, 2007, 06:38 AM
most of them i think have no clue why they dont like automatix. they said they have encountered problems / destroyed their computer, but they havent posted what problems they were having or file a bug report

others think that you should learn the hard way to install stuff, and for codecs and flash and stuff, its really not that exciting. if you were to it the "proper" way you would be basically doing the exact same thing (copying and pasting apt-get ---------------) in the terminal.

i personally love it, but others dont. for some reason a lot of people have a problem with it...

vitalik
April 19th, 2007, 06:52 AM
First time I have installed Edgy and Automatix Iwas very pleased, especially for someone who just migrated from XP and tried three distros within three month. It is a great prog for someone with no experience.

Tsen
April 19th, 2007, 06:58 AM
I like it. Use to use EasyUbuntu, until I found out that Automatix did pretty much all the same things, but looked better while doing it and had fewer errors, as well as including a larger amount of options.
I tend to break my computer often, too, just by messing with it too much, so it's an invaluable tool for me.

LookTJ
April 19th, 2007, 07:14 AM
because it used to break people's pc.

purdy hate machine
April 19th, 2007, 07:42 AM
1. A lot of users donít like/trust automated scripts; they like to know exactly whatís happening to their system.

2. Some people prefer the hands on approach. Thereís no better way to learn Linux than actually using it.

Polygon
April 19th, 2007, 07:47 AM
1. A lot of users don’t like/trust automated scripts; they like to know exactly what’s happening to their system.

2. Some people prefer the hands on approach. There’s no better way to learn Linux than actually using it.

well the program is open source, and there is a screen when installinmg stuff that shows the output of the terminal, so you can see what is happening.

jfinkels
April 19th, 2007, 07:48 AM
Are there "a lot of users who dislike Automatix"?

All I know is I like the do-it-yourself approach.

lalakis85
April 19th, 2007, 07:50 AM
in the begining is very helpful but after a while it becomes useless. You would prefer do it by yourself. In my opinion...

Spr0k3t
April 19th, 2007, 08:01 AM
I seem to fall under all of the categories and then some.

1. I tried it and it b0rk3d my system pretty good.
2. I got in touch with Arnie and the rest of the support peeps and even found a good solution to the problem I was having. They helped quite a bit.
3. When I returned to Linux, it was the first time I had used X, but preferred the command line structure over the GUI... even over Synaptic.

I've learned quite a bit since my long term hiatus and I feel it's easier to pop open a term, search for the package you want, then install it. With my desktop system, I always have a multiple tab terminal open at any given time, usually it's fullscreen or covering 90% of one monitor.

The only reason why I hate automatix is because it's thrown around the room like aunt bunny coming down the stairs. There's no reason to use it if you already have five other methods that work just as good and in some instances better.

Adamant1988
April 19th, 2007, 11:10 AM
My issues with Automatix are more with the head developer acting like a spoiled brat and deliberately trying to cause damage to the Ubuntu community.

STREETURCHINE
April 19th, 2007, 12:07 PM
My issues with Automatix are more with the head developer acting like a spoiled brat and deliberately trying to cause damage to the Ubuntu community.

and thats the pot calling the kettle black,?

Adamant1988
April 19th, 2007, 12:20 PM
and thats the pot calling the kettle black,?

You're saying I deliberately attempt to harm the Ubuntu community? In what way? I would honestly like to hear how you've come to this conclusion.

zenwhen
April 19th, 2007, 12:32 PM
This thread is being closed because we have already had this thread.

I will finish the thread for everyone with a summary.

1) Thread created about Automatix.
2) Someone has the nerve not to like Automatix.
3) Automatix fan insults everyone who dislikes Automatix.
4) Someone comes in and explains that a lot of people do not like AX because of Arnieboy's attitude.
4.5) People say Arnieboy has never said a single word wrong in his life.
5) Chat log (http://zenwhen.com/arnieboy.txt) is posted where Arnieboy calls himself a god.
6) Flamewar breaks out.

Is that good enough?

Thanks for your time.