PDA

View Full Version : New to the forum.

PleaseEnjoyThis
April 19th, 2007, 04:47 AM
Hello, I have been very interested in Linux for awhile as well as in open source software in general. Finally I got around to installing it. I haven't been using it long and have a lot to learn. Hopefully this will be beneficial. Peace!:)

FoolsGold
April 19th, 2007, 04:50 AM
Peace to you too. :)

Come for the Linux, stay for the free pizza. There is free pizza, isn't there?

PleaseEnjoyThis
April 19th, 2007, 05:27 AM
I don't need pizza to stay. Although I need a lot of practice, I will be sticking with Linux because I am dedicated to understand it. I am surprised it took me so long, I didn't have enough space on my hard drive to partition it for Linux, finally I got off my *** and now I have more space than I can deal with.

bimmerd00d
April 19th, 2007, 05:49 AM
I'm in the same boat, albeit a little bit further along probably. I've just recently converted a completely native install on my laptop, and i'm LOVING it. It's going to make you want to pull your eyes out from time to time, but the feeling after getting it all figured out is well worth the journey.

jyenson
April 19th, 2007, 05:54 AM
Hi just installed ubuntu been a windows user since 3.1.1. Took me a week but was determined to get off M$. My biggest challenge was networking getting CUPS to work and trying to mount a fat32 drive. So far I am pretty impressed by the power of the OS and will admit I am not sure what I am doing but by getting stuck in I have managed to get it working the way I want it. (sort of)

The biggest payback I think is liberating my old 10 gig drive, under M$ it was full with the firewall and antivirus software and XP. it just works

karellen
April 19th, 2007, 06:39 AM
welcome and enjoy your staying! and keep the curiosity and learning desire at high levels, this is very important :)

lalakis85
April 19th, 2007, 06:41 AM
Right choice:)