PDA

View Full Version : Why do you use that awful O/S?

Chowderpilot
April 19th, 2007, 02:36 AM
The question in the subject line was a question posed to me by one of my co-workers the other day when I installed the 7.04 beta on my Dell D810 laptop. Perhaps some of you can relate to the adversity that results from fear of change or lack of education on the matter. Hopefully what I say here can help you not necessarily "defend" Linux and Open Source Software, but to educate them and eliminate misconceptions many people have.

He continued "It looks a lot like windows...." He is a sales guy, and I'm an engineer, so already we speak two different languages when it comes to technology (you engineers and developers out there know what I"m talking about!). He was basically attempting to dismiss it as a Windows clone or "wannabe". I informed him that after already having had XP installed, and then giving Vista a try I was not satisfied with either O/S, and that there are other choices out there. Ubuntu is my O/S of choice. I continued to inform him that I didn't mind XP however, I had serious concerns about security, and with Vista, I found that my fairly well equiped D810 laptop was not powerful enough (even though it's less than a year old) to handle Vista.

I also quickly reminded him of the other day when I had to update his Anti-Virus software and install AdAware, and tun on the Windows "Firewall" (what a joke), and that I did not have to install a myriad of software to protect my Linux PC. He responded by saying that there aren't any viruses for LInux because it's not as popular as Windows. My answer to him was a bit over his head, however I explained how difficult it is to execute arbitrary code on *nix file systems. Windows has 3 main types of executables, .exe .msi, and .bat. all of which can be executed through any number of security holes. Ubuntu, like all *nix file systems are not dependent on file extension, and that in fact you have to run commands (like chmod) to tell the O/S that the file you wish to execute IS and executable! Oh, and by the way you have to know the sudo password to make any major system changes.

Next, I let him know that while he is fumbling around looking for license keys to install all his Windows software, that I have easy access to thousands of free and opensource software packages to accomplish pretty much anything I could have done in windows. And guess what, it comes with a powerful office suite that installs with the OS. So while he's looking for his Nero key, I'm burning CD's with K3b, or editing a PowerPoint document sent by a colleague in Presentation.

Oh yeah, by the way, try getting support from Microsoft, Dell, or any of the manufactures of the software on your Windows PC. I can go to an online community of thousands to ask questions and get answers quickly. Or, if they don't have an answer immediately, they'll help me find one!

While I wanted to say Linux is "superior" to windows (and we all know it is mostly) I simply said this is the best OS for me. I could have gone on and on about the advantages of Ubuntu, but I let him know that if he ever wanted to try it out that I was there to help him, and left it at that.

I am very excited about the release of Feisty and hope that you all have a wonderful experience as I have with Ubuntu.

PS, almost the entire engineering team has seen Ubuntu on my PC and is considering switching to Ubuntu as their main OS. I am assisting them in getting up and running, it's been a lot of fun!

starcraft.man
April 19th, 2007, 02:39 AM
Yay for spreading Ubuntu to your whole team. AWESOME! As for your question, yes I've gotten it way too many times over MSN... I've converted 3 that asked me the question though so I think thats pretty good :D.

Nils Olav
April 19th, 2007, 02:42 AM
Why did you use both OS and O/S in the same post?

FoolsGold
April 19th, 2007, 02:45 AM
Well that sucks. Heck, I'm an engineer and as far as I'm concerned, an engineer who DOESN'T at least appreciate Linux for what it is has some problems. One of the reasons I moved to Linux was that as an engineer, well... it's the perfect OS for an engineer (provided it can run the stuff you need of course). To decry it as "awful", coming from an engineer, smacks of ignorance worse than if it came from a n00b off the street.

To be honest, I get tired from having to defend my OS of choice. Not that I have to do it often, but rather that I have to do it at all. I image Apple users have the same issue when fending off Windows fanboys.

tbroderick
April 19th, 2007, 02:49 AM
I can go to an online community of thousands to ask questions and get answers quickly. Or, if they don't have an answer immediately, they'll help me find one!

There are nice Windows forums/websites too.

Somenoob
April 19th, 2007, 03:10 AM
I've heard that before about it being similar, i don't know where people get that impression it's not even remotely similar.

tech_monkee
April 23rd, 2007, 07:34 PM
they think it's 'similar' because it 'looks' alot like windows. this of course because of the windows manager.
click menu button and list pops up for you.

to them windows is the final say in the way an OS should look. anything else is just a windows clone.

i had friends who use to complain to me about trying to make my xp box "look" like linux since i use the litestep alternate windows shell for my xp box. simple choice, my box doesn't run ubuntu in any flavor and litestep runs so much faster than explorer.exe.

but yeah, for most people it's all about looks. exact reason why lots of the ignorant out there think that vista is so "cool" and awesome.

koenn
April 23rd, 2007, 08:41 PM
i had friends who use to complain to me about trying to make my xp box "look" like linux ...

faking linux ... (http://users.telenet.be/mydotcom/upub/fakelinux/fakelinux.htm)

mech7
April 23rd, 2007, 09:17 PM
had to update his Anti-Virus software and install AdAware, and tun on the Windows "Firewall" (what a joke), and that I did not have to install a myriad of software to protect my Linux PC. He responded by saying that there aren't any viruses for LInux because it's not as popular as Windows. My answer to him was a bit over his head, however I explained how difficult it is to execute arbitrary code on *nix file systems. Windows has 3 main types of executables, .exe .msi, and .bat. all of which can be executed through any number of security holes. Ubuntu, like all *nix file systems are not dependent on file extension, and that in fact you have to run commands (like chmod) to tell the O/S that the file you wish to execute IS and executable! Oh, and by the way you have to know the sudo password to make any major system changes.

Umm actually he is right.. every OS has bugs and if Linux or OS / X was as used as much as windows it would have the same problems.. Also there haven't been any huge impact of virusses on windows since the Blaster worm. And with Vista the biggest flaw is taken care of users running as administrator.. anyways most of the time it is the user anyway who get's virus / trojan installed and no software will take care of that problem :)

pulver
April 23rd, 2007, 09:42 PM
linux is a virus spread by its evangelistic users.. it damages your mind and makes you smash all nearby windows, or at least so I heard.

koenn
April 23rd, 2007, 09:51 PM
Umm actually he is right.. every OS has bugs and if Linux or OS / X was as used as much as windows it would have the same problems.. Also there haven't been any huge impact of virusses on windows since the Blaster worm. And with Vista the biggest flaw is taken care of users running as administrator.. anyways most of the time it is the user anyway who get's virus / trojan installed and no software will take care of that problem :)
Ummm no, you're wrong.
yes, every OS has bugs and no doubt if Linux had larger market share it would become a more interesting target, nut it is technically a lot harder to get a downloaded executable to run automatically on a Linux system, and its even harder for a virus to gain sufficient permissions to access system resources it will need to spread further. So spreading viruses is going to be really difficult. So the chances you'll ever meet one are slim.

forrestcupp
April 23rd, 2007, 10:32 PM
Next, I let him know that while he is fumbling around looking for license keys to install all his Windows software, that I have easy access to thousands of free and opensource software packages to accomplish pretty much anything I could have done in windows. And guess what, it comes with a powerful office suite that installs with the OS. So while he's looking for his Nero key, I'm burning CD's with K3b, or editing a PowerPoint document sent by a colleague in Presentation.

I have a game called Soldier of Fortune 2 that I couldn't run in Windows. It is a legal copy on the original CD, but I can't play it because I lost the license key. In order to get a new license key, I would have to ship them my original CD and pay $10. The funny thing is that in Linux, there is an installer for this game that makes it run flawlessly, and I don't need the key to get it to work.

gashcr
April 23rd, 2007, 10:49 PM
I would have answered him... why do YOU keep using that awful OS?? jaja. No really, I think this is the way to go... People usually feels offended when you are critic about those things they like... Just showing the advantages of linux is enough to encourage anybody to use it... Win disadvantages show by themselves...

Ubuntu Rules!!

Iceni
April 24th, 2007, 12:36 AM
Ummm no, you're wrong.
yes, every OS has bugs and no doubt if Linux had larger market share it would become a more interesting target, nut it is technically a lot harder to get a downloaded executable to run automatically on a Linux system, and its even harder for a virus to gain sufficient permissions to access system resources it will need to spread further. So spreading viruses is going to be really difficult. So the chances you'll ever meet one are slim.

Just wait till the common users starts migrating, they will get infested;)

My gf caved pretty fast when I installed a pretty pink KDE-based 7.04 on her laptop ;) One more user!

mech7
April 24th, 2007, 06:07 PM
Ummm no, you're wrong.

Wrong with vista you need to give permissions to apps who want admin (root) access :)

G Morgan
April 24th, 2007, 06:15 PM

That's what they claim but it won't work out that way. Firstly many legacy apps will not run without root access so this will lead to all the users creating administration accounts. Secondly, it only nags you anyway and you can just click accept a million times. Thirdly, since everyone will run as administrator because of point one developers will get lazy and code apps that require root access.

koenn
April 24th, 2007, 07:34 PM
Wrong with vista you need to give permissions to apps who want admin (root) access :)
I'm not using vista and ain't planning to so I'm not 100% sure but afaik this "permission" is given by clicking OK on a dialogue. I give it 3 days before people start routinely clicking OK to whatever dialogue pops up.